closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PRS-5 Pass Around - Pics & Progress *WINNER ANOUNCED*

PRS-5 Pass Around - Pics & Progress *WINNER ANOUNCED*

Well it's the 23rd of February 2009 and it's time to get the Pass Around kicked off. So to remind everyone of the package*, here's a pic:

Firstly, my impressions of having the PRS-5 for the past couple of weeks. On opening the parcel and digging my way though all the extra's Eddie had thrown in I finally got to the watch and first visual impressions were how delicate the dial/hand looked along with the really nice finish on the case. Picking it up I was struck at how light the watch is, forgetting that it has an acrylic crystal. Once used to the weight (or lack of) I realised that it's very well balance with the weight and it depends on what you're used to as to whether it's too light/small etc.

The dial on this is super clear and easy to read, with the fine ends on the minute and hour hands. It's taken me a while to get used to chrono's where the seconds are in a sub-dial as I keep thinking the thing has stopped, but pleased to say got used to it quickly with the PRS-5. Winding the movement the crown is a perfect size giving firm and precise feedback of the mechanism. I'd been winding the watch little and often but read this weekend that these prefer to be fully wound each morning, have to say that the time keeping was fine the way I wound it but makes sense to wind every morning and be done with it.

The chrono function is superb, for the first time in ages I actually had reason to USE the function and the pushers have an accurate feel to them needing a firm push but returning a positive result.

This is the second watch I've had with a clear case back, though the first that is manual wind. The movement is a joy to behold, a very nicely decorated Seagull ST-19. The clear case back is a worthy addition to the watch and I feel it's just a shame you have to wear the watch with the movement facing your wrist! The only slight negative to the case back is the different finish to the metal, but the movement makes a great distraction from that!

Overall I've really enjoyed the PRS-5 over the past couple of weeks, and I found it fitted in with my collection perfectly (being the only Chrono as well). It's a very comfy watch on the Nato, I did very briefly try the aviator that was fitted on arrival which was OK but I think this watch was made to go on a nato. I will certainly consider buying one of these myself, either new or used (if one comes up) and hope the rest of you enjoy this as much as I did :D

So lets get going, to confirm these are the people on the list:

1. Jonmurgie
    2. Spy
    3. Griswold
    4. MartinMW
    5. Toshi
    6. cmcm3
    7. PDE
    8. Chris_in_the_UK
    9. BRGS
    10. Dazzler
    11. darrenw
    12. pinkwindmill
    13. Jeremy67
    14. flyerboy
    15. CPF
    16. ledgie
    17. Jim71
    18. Christian - winner
    19. Seabadger
    20. Nev
    21. Lippy

drawn = next person to receive PRS-5
    completed = had the PRS-5

I will be using http://www.random.org to select a number each draw and this morning it selected 10. Dazzler as the next person to have the PRS-5, so I will be dropping them a line to get there address. When the next name is pulled I will give everyone reasonable time to organise contact/addresses etc. so next draw will be around the 1st March.

And finally, if we can keep all the progress of the pass around, pictures/reviews etc., in this thread it will keep things nice and neat for everyone involved :)

* The picture of the package is everything that came with the PRS-5, however for the pass around I will hold onto the original case back, strap changing tool (remember, no strap changes that involve removal of the springbars!) and the brown aviator, these will all go to the eventual winner of the watch at the end of the pass around

Master

Re: PRS-5 Pass Around - Pics & Progress

Nice report and photo's to kick off the pass around Jon - thanks again for organizing it!

Looking forward to my turn :D

Jim

Master

Thanks for the report Jon :thumbright: Look forward to seeing the PRS-5 in the flesh soon :)

Great write up Jon, really looking forward to seeing this one in the flesh. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Thanks guys, the watch is now on it's way to Dazzler :D

Master

Great Stuff Jon 8) and another thanks from me for organising this :)

The ball is rolling...... and looking forward to my 2 weeks

Cheers
    Martin

Craftsman

Great photos Jon, you have got me drooling in anticipation of my 2 weeks :D

Great photos. I'm worried because I know when it comes to my turn, my snapshots will look awful in comparison to everyone else! :|

Don't worry about it, we all like seeing pictures no matter what the quality ;)

I'm wondering this time if we run a little competition along the way to post a shot of the PRS-5 in an interesting location. We all do different things and go different places so taking a snap might be quite fun... thoughts?

Yep, totally agree. It will be nice to see where the watch goes on it's travels around the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie

I'm wondering this time if we run a little competition along the way to post a shot of the PRS-5 in an interesting location. We all do different things and go different places so taking a snap might be quite fun... thoughts?
    Sounds like a great idea to me. :)

Good job Scotishtrunkmonkey isn't in this one then..... I shudder to think where and what he'd be doing :wink: :lol: :lol:
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold

Good job Scotishtrunkmonkey isn't in this one then..... I shudder to think where and what he'd be doing :wink: :lol: :lol:

+1 :lol: :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Master

Dazzler - overdue an update, chop chop!

Master

Quite right to pull me up on that Lippy, quite right. It got 400 airmiles in now though.

Okay first an apology for no photos as yet, I have lent out my camera and need to get it back.

HOWEVER...
    The watch is terrific, like most of Eddie's watches it seems that photos just don't quite do the actual watch full credit. You have to get Eddies watches in hand to really appreciate them. The hi-dome acrylic is very impressive and sets the watch apart from almost everything out there, it means the dial is very clear and easy to read but also has lovely reflections and distortions.

The watch is very light (as John says) and this makes a welcome change from some of my heavier watches.

The dial is as clear as I think you will get and very well printed, the slight gaps between the sub-dials and numbers show just how well printed and small the tolerances are.

The movement looks great and a fine choice by Eddie, it's fascinating to see the movement and see how it works.

It's on a green Nato at the moment which for me works best, just a shame to cover the movement!

Overall a lovely watch and not one I would have originally picked - which is what makes these pass-arounds special. I can seriously see me getting one now.

You guys are in for a real treat!!

Photos to follow...

Great write up... looking forward to some pics :)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler
    it's fascinating to see the movement and see how it works.
    i.e. magic

Master

Good Job Dazzler !

Really looking forward to trying the watch and seeing what a Nato is all about.

Andrew

Master

Here she is at Preston North End - Ipswich, a 3-2 victory to Preston

WOW, that's a damned decent entry :D

If everyone just posts up their pictures in this thread than at the end I'll put together the best from each member and we can have a poll :)

Here she is at Preston North End - Ipswich, a 3-2 victory to Preston

Where are your supporters?

As we sang when we were there.... "Your grounds too big for you......................................." :wink:

And how you beat us 1 - 0 I'll never know :twisted:

Still, we'll get our revenge on April 13th. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Best Regards - Peter

Master

Wind your neck in Grizzy! I'm no PNE fan, I'm a Bradford fan, I live over this way and got my filthy mits on some free-tickets.

It was a bit (lot) empty though, 12,700 there and not a great deal of noise either. Bradford are getting similar crowds two divisions lower.

Don't ever accuse me of supporting Wankashire over Yorkshire again Matey Boy! :evil: :!: :!: *

* Unless Hudderfield are getting beat

Ah, a fellow Yorkie.............. in which case, apologies most profusely. :lol: :lol:

Lankies? They think they won the War of the Roses. Little do they know that it's still going on :wink: The only reason we're over here is to take their money and shag their women. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Would like to see Bradford come up a division or two, big city, deserves better football. :)

Nice to see Park Avenue are having somewhat of a revival too. :)
    Best Regards - Peter

Draw time (sorry, bit late as week has been manic!) and the next person is: 2. Spy

I'll get a PM sent to Dazzler and Spy :)

Not a part of the passaround but the more I looked at the picture, the more I want one!!!!!!!! Whos got one to sell???!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by satosatomi
    Whos got one to sell???!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Eddie has http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm

Quote Originally Posted by satosatomi
    Whos got one to sell???!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
    Eddie has http://www.timefactors.com/precista.htm
    :D knew that Jon! Is it too late to join this now?

Yeah, more than enough people in this one... if someone drops out then keep an eye out :)

UPDATE: Spy is out of the country right now so has gone back into the mix and the draw has been done again... next number given out my http://www.random.org is: 11. darrenw

I'll get a PM sent to Dazzler and darrenw :)

Master

Well I’ve thrown down the gauntlet to the Speedie boys to see who can come up with the most interesting photo. Are the Precista boys up for it??

Can I suggest a competition thread between the PRS5 and PRS22 passaround. Competition to see who can post a best picture of the watch in an unusual/interesting/famous location?

My entry - unlikely to win! - is here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=68399&start=15

What say you Speedies?
    The watch is now with Darren. Final thoughts are it is a terrific watch, very light, very clear and very distinctive. Will I get one? Not sure (which usually translates to a no I guess) but I will be keeping a beady-eye out in SC for one. I think I favour divers (PRS50 on super chunky reddie rubber today) but the PRS5 was a most welcome diversion and when you get the watch you’ll understand why I rated this watch highly.

Only other thing is that the reset has drifted off by about a third of a second, which is apparently a quickish fix once the back is off. These things happen and it hasn’t put me off the watch.

Thanks for your final thoughts Gav.

To keep everyone in the picture, after Darren has had his turn I'll be having the watch returned to have the dhrono hand reset before it's off to the next person, so there will be a delay of a few days.

With regard to the photo competition, I would prefer to keep it just within this Pass Around so it's easier to manage and there can be a proper prize, but thanks for the thought (and post) :)

Master

Thanks for the update Jon.

Master

I'd forgotten about this really busy work wise just at the minute.

CANT WAIT CANT WAIT CANT WAIT :D :D :D :D :D

Nev.

I do believe there is a cracking write up from Darren making it's way to this thread... ;)

Doh, third time lucky...

Sorry, started a separate thread, but back on track now...

Well, spookily enough it turned up on my birthday, perhaps a sign that I'll be the lucky boy to win it at the end of the passaround.

So, first impressions - pretty neutral TBH. I like my watches fairly big and it seemed a bit small (41mm inc. crown). The watch is circulating with a number of different NATOs and came on plain silver. Again OK, but nothing special, so I took it off to try another and that revealed the back...

...lovely (although my picture doesn't do it justice).

I mainly have autos and a few have clear backs, but the very nature of an auto means that it has a rotating weight which obscures the view. Manuals don't suffer from this so you get to see everything... and it's captivating. Manuals seem to have a more audible tick to them as well and I love it when your hand is close to your ear and the noise catches you by surprise.

So onto the olive NATO. I love the colour and think it works really well on this...

And the side view reveals that she's quite a chunky little number, despite her modest width...

So next, onto the wrist...

The bead-blasted silver casing is working for me now and the off centre face looks right too.

The one area I would be nervous about though is the domed acrylic crystal. It sits proud and if worn daily I think it would only be a matter of time before you bashed it. And my understanding is that it's more susceptible to scratches than sapphire crystal. Probably not a fortune nor difficult to change though if that should happen.

So overall, what do I think ? - Well, a lot of watch for your money (£210 + £26 for the clear back). Looks and feels robust and very well made.

Would I buy one ? - Probably not with my current collection, but I'd be happy to own (win :) ) and would certainly recommend.

One more week to enjoy, then onto the next lucky punter.

Hoorah!!

Really nice pics there, and some great thoughts on the watch :)

Sorry chaps, been really busy at work recently and completely missed this thread.

Will have to check my movements over the next week to see if I can nab an interesting photo.

And one final thought... it's had to compete with the arrival of my '69 Speedy this week, yet it's still managed some wrist time and I am in fact wearing it now :)

Nice pics and write-ups, guys.

Master

Nice write up there :thumbright: Looking forward to my turn...

Master

who's lucky turn will it be this week...please please be me!

Quick update, the watch is back with me and should be fixed this week with the wandering chrono hand. As soon as it's sorted I'll make the next draw and we can get things moving again.

Sorry about the delay folks :)

IMPORTANT UPDATE: A quick look at the miss-aligned chrono hand has confirmed that it will need to go back to Germany for repair. We have therefore decided to continue the pass around with the chrono slightly off and have the watch repaired under warranty at the end before it goes off to the eventual winner. I hope everyone is OK with this and understands that the hand "should" centre and not be put off with this pass around or indeed in any potential purchase of a PRS-5. Any queries regarding this please drop me a PM rather than using this thread.

Therefore, I have used http://www.random.org to select the next person and it's 4. MartinMW who I will drop a PM to. Sorry for the delay this has caused, though it's just one of those things with this being the first Auto Chrono that's been on a passaround.

Cheers
    Jon

Master

Therefore, I have used http://www.random.org to select the next person and it's 4. MartinMW who I will drop a PM to. Sorry for the delay this has caused, though it's just one of those things with this being the first Auto Chrono that's been on a passaround.

Cheers
    Jon
    :D :D :D :D

Details are on the way 8)

Cheers
    Martin

hi guys.
    i will be dropping out of the passaround since acquiring a prs5 which is on its way to me now as part of a trade. just to let everyone know i will be listing my place in the passaround in sc shortly in the form of a charity auction. so if there is anyone who missed the boat on this one and wants in, theyll be a chance on sc in the next few days.
    all the best dave
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    i will be dropping out of the passaround since acquiring a prs5
    Dave, just make sure you drop me an email with details of the new person who buys your spot please :)

Quick update... BRGS has joined in the party by way of a very generous donation for place seikopath (formally known as snowlion) had.

The next draw will take place towards the end of the week :D

Draw time and the next person kicked out by www.random.org is: 20. Nev

I'll get a PM sent to MartinMW and Nev :)

Master

YEAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking forward to getting my hands on the PRS-5 :D

Nev.

Master

And we look forward toi your thoughts and Photos Nev!! :lol:

Master

And we look forward toi your thoughts and Photos Nev!! :lol: