closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oris - what do we think?

Master

Oris - what do we think?

I've been offered an Oris watch, about five years old, looks little worn and pretty much pristine although never serviced. Box and papers included.

It has a really nice look and feel to it and I'm quite tempted, but I know nothing about the brand at all.

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were, both with regards to the watch itself, but also to the style, and what we thought it might be sensibly worth?

It's a 40mm (nice size), and it's stainless steel with the bracelet and clear caseback.

It looks very much like this.

Journeyman

Re: Oris - what do we think?

Oris are a good brand, i have two and they run well ,There have been a few comments on here before and all are positive,if you are getting it a good price go for it. :)

Master

We quite like them.

Independent alternative to the SwatchCo mid range offerings, as I see it.

Master

Good quality IMO, some very nice models.Like them. :)

One ofthe best for spending 500ish on a watch ! You getget an Oris -finish is great ,all have good autos with display backs!
    quite popular eve amongst non wis -most goldsmiths stores sell them!

I really like Oris. Currently awaiting a BC3 from Watchfinder, which unfortunately is taking ages :x .
    However, that aside I'm sure it won't be my last Oris.

As for your watch it should just come down to price and condition. Have no worries about the brand.

Nick

Master

Firstly, its your decision.
    Oris have a very good reputation and if you like the model and the styling, and the price is fair in your opinion, then it should be a good buy.

Best wishes and look forward to hearing what you decide.

Sincerely,
    AP.

I like Oris, I've got 3 right now and have had a few more along the way. Nicely made and generally quite distinctively styled.

I'd guess that that model would have been around the £500 mark when new, so used probably half that or less, somewhere around the £200-225 mark? Unfortunately Oris don't always do that well as resale, as I've found out to my cost before.

That model looks like an Oris Classic to me, still a current model: http://www.oris.ch/collections/collecti ... odelid=145

Nice looking piece!

Edit: the one I've linked to is 38mm, not 40mm, so not the same model as I'd thought.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Apprentice

IMNSHO; Oris really punch above their weight when it comes to quality, I think they are very competitively priced. A real test I think is that a few people I know who work in the trade speak of them very highly, although that is hardly conclusive proff, I think you get a lot of very good quality watch for your money.

I was very impressed by Der Meistertaucher(sp) 49mm which you can pick up for about £1100 with a bit of hard nosed brinkmanship and the 47mm Divers which weighs about the same as a baby and can be snaffled for c.£800 new

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    I like Oris, I've got 3 right now and have had a few more along the way. Nicely made and generally quite distinctively styled.

I'd guess that that model would have been around the £500 mark when new, so used probably half that or less, somewhere around the £200-225 mark? Unfortunately Oris don't always do that well as resale, as I've found out to my cost before.

That model looks like an Oris Classic to me, still a current model: http://www.oris.ch/collections/collecti ... odelid=145

Nice looking piece!

Edit: the one I've linked to is 38mm, not 40mm, so not the same model as I'd thought.
    think i'm one of the guilty parties dave :lol:
    still loving that oris miles...nice, unusual watch.
    another oris fan here....competitively prices and a decent pedigree to boot.l

Master

I have an Oris Williams F1 purchased via SC a few weeks ago. Very good looking watch (IMO at least !) and very well built, a lot of watch for the money.

If you like the look then I would say go for it, I don't think you will be disappointed :)

Master

Thanks guys, your input much appreciated. Agree totally about the quality, it felt much nicer than I expected it to be, a lovely high quality "proper watch"feel to it.

Pricewise, well they were £580 in 2007 according to an old price list I have, and this one is a 2005 so I guess maybe it was more like £550 then?

They're asking £375 for it which feels steep. I agree with Dave who says they're probably worth about half the new cost, and that'd make it (if I'm right about the new cost) £275.

It's one of those watches that I wasn't looking for or wanting, but I've come across it and rather like it. So it's not like I've tracked down a particular model I'm after (in which case one might be prepared to be a little more generous), more that, if I could get it for the right price then I'd maybe take it and see how I got on with it, in the hope that if I didn't like it I could sell it on without losing too much.

I'm inclined to think that £250 is about the mark in the circs. Which is rather a long way off what he's asking so I guess it's unlikely I'll get it. But I can live with that.

Am I being unreasonable at that? And would it resell at that do we think if I try it and decide to unload it if I don't get on with it? (I'm more a sport or chrono guy, but would be interested to try a more dress type watch and see how I get on).

Did a quick check and It looks like Watchfinder are doing this watch for £410 brand new. So £375 @ 4 year old is very pricey. £250 would be my max.

Nick

Master

That is very interesting, thanks for that. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Velvetsnow
    Did a quick check and It looks like Watchfinder are doing this watch for £410 brand new. So £375 @ 4 year old is very pricey. £250 would be my max.

Nick
    I've seen it new online (Friends of Oris) for about $700 US I think, so £375 is steep.
    Dave E

Master

Late input, and nothing that hasn't been said, but they offer some nice watches that offer good value for money, but second hand prices seem low so you should be looking for a heavy discount on new otherwise you will be losing out later on.

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Good VFM , but for some strange reason I have never been a fan, have had a few but moved them on :(

Quote Originally Posted by jd
    We quite like them.

Independent alternative to the SwatchCo mid range offerings, as I see it.
    +1

I quite like "Der Meistertaucher" Regulateur.

Master

Thank you :)

i think that if i could get it at the right price I'd buy it, but based on his asking price I fear my idea of the right price may not be his.

Ah well, perhaps I'll make an offer and if he says no (as is likely) then I'm no worse off than not bothering.

Master

Oris? Excellent.

Style? Only you can answer this.

Had a Oris F1 williams, very well built.

And TBH its the watch that started my addiction

Craftsman

They're great watches. I have owned a couple (still have one) and it wears well.

I would certainly consider them again in the future - I have a slight preference for some of their slightly older watches.

Cliff

Craftsman

ive had 4 and enjoyed every one of them .they are great value for money they also have very diverse range ,so something to suit everyone.

Grand Master

I like Ores, as a whole. Am particularly partial to the retro Big Crown (although I probably shouldn't say retro; they've been making them, stylistically unchanged, for over 70 years).

If the rotor visible through the back is painted red, then the watch is from around 2002 onwards. Bear in mind that a lot of stock gets sold as new even though it's several years old; this "five-year-old watch" might have been made much earlier than 2003/4. The rotor will give you a clue at least.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Good advice, thanks for that. There was a sticker with the price on on the back so I couldn't see the rotor but I'll have a look if I get as far as buying it.

The shop selling it supplied it originally and I think they said they had the original receipt too so I'm guessing they should be pretty accurate about the year.

I love my BC3. It is beautifully made, keeps great time and wears well with a wide range of straps.
    Here's some pics:-

Regards

Rod

Another Oris fan here. One of those brands that can make you wonder if there's any real need to pay more.

Craftsman

Oris make great watches ....like the diver watches

Master

You guys are really tempting me! :D

I must admit I'm very tempted anyway, just need to figure out a fair price and see if he'll take it.

Craftsman

I just bought a BC4 chrono, and I love it ,Knocks the arse off a lot of more expensive watches for build quality, have to say it but it makes my explorer feel cheap and nasty, currently running at + 2 secs per day, probably better than some chronometers.

Master

Did somebody say Oris........

Oooh yeah baby me likey a lot :D I'll let the pictures do the talking :wink:

I have had 3 Oris regulators or Der Meistertaucher to give them the correct title and I have to say they are superb value for money.

I have also had an Oris William s LE ralph schumacher and that also was superb

Not quite as good pic's follow

and finally an Oris artelier - it was not quite to my normal taste but was feature packed and excellent quality.

Would I recommend you try one.............. YES

Regards

Paul

Master

I have an Artelier Chrono real good looker and really comfortable to wear as well. It has a quickset date feature. It's a recessed button near where other watches have H-valves. At first I didn't think I'd care for it but it makes date setting quite easy.

Nick
    I've seen it new online (Friends of Oris) for about $700 US I think, so £375 is steep.
    It might even need a service ...

Get a new one.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

I don't know this specific model, but I have two Oris titatium divers and they are very good and nice watches, with great quality for their money. So, I have a very good experience with this brand and I could recommend it without hesitations.

Cheers,
    Markos

I had a classic 'big crown' a few years back, and it was great quality - I really rate them as a £500 watch as others have said.

Unfortunately, with one or two exceptions I really dislike the current styling direction the brand seems to have taken - I applaud them for trying to be different, unfortunately I just don't like 'em :?

A good example are the divers - love the dials, the general dimensions/chunkiness, but really dislike the thick lugs and the profile of the case, which is a shame as I'm sure they're well made and durable.

I reckon the price being asked is a bit steep for the watch you mention, if you look around you'll find a new one for a similar price I reckon :)

I like oris, well made and well priced I have had a couple ver the years, currently have a Titan T1 which i love, Titainum, a little big but nice looking and paid £400 for a mint one a year old, and i love wearing it.

Can't go wrong if the price is right :lol:

Best looking Oris I've seen for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by FULL TIMER
    I just bought a BC4 chrono, and I love it ,Knocks the arse off a lot of more expensive watches for build quality, have to say it but it makes my explorer feel cheap and nasty, currently running at + 2 secs per day, probably better than some chronometers.
    I had a Big Crown Diver - really nice watch! Good VFM.

Master

Had another look at it at lunchtime. It really is a lovely thing and a very nice bracelet with concealed clasp too.

So an offer has been made. Somewhat less than the owner wants (they're selling it on commission for him) so we'll see.

Master

I've found a photo of the exact model via Google Images.

It looks better in the flesh I'd say, but non the less, here it is.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Ah, now that's starting to make sense. The one posted at the very beginning of the thread is an Oris Classic, an entry-level model whose design is pretty recent. The one you've posted just now is an Artelier Date, a more upscale model with better bracelet and finishing, and a more complex case and dial. As a result it was a couple of hundred or so more expensive than the Classic.

The Artelier range has since been redesigned and these days they start at about £650. Having said that, the Artelier Date model was probably £550 at most when it was new, and you should figure that into your calcs. I'd say £300-325 was reasonable for this model, provided condition is excellent. I've only seen battered crappers go for £250 or less on the 'Bay, replete with bollocks description ("kinettic movement") and out-of-focus VGA photos.

EDIT: just seen, that's the chronometer version. IIRC it had a 2824 movement in "chronometre" spec, not a standard 2824, and was a couple of hundred more than the non-chronometer version. It's up to you how much you value a chronometer movement, but £375 for a watch that was a good £700+ to start with isn't bad, if the condition is right.

Grand Master

Oh, and this is one I really like. Plexi crystal, lovely old-fashioned numbers, nice coin-edge bezel, something of a classic design (71 years and counting - not many other designs with legs as long as these), and the dial is a deep gloss black that combined with the acrylic makes it seem as if you're looking into the past :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    I've found a photo of the exact model via Google Images.

It looks better in the flesh I'd say, but non the less, here it is.

Yeah, that's a much nicer watch than the classic. The £375 valuation makes more sense. Now that you've put in a low bid you can work your way up to a figure between the two?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Ah, now that's starting to make sense. The one posted at the very beginning of the thread is an Oris Classic, an entry-level model whose design is pretty recent. The one you've posted just now is an Artelier Date, a more upscale model with better bracelet and finishing, and a more complex case and dial. As a result it was a couple of hundred or so more expensive than the Classic.

The Artelier range has since been redesigned and these days they start at about £650. Having said that, the Artelier Date model was probably £550 at most when it was new, and you should figure that into your calcs. I'd say £300-325 was reasonable for this model, provided condition is excellent. I've only seen battered crappers go for £250 or less on the 'Bay, replete with bollocks description ("kinettic movement") and out-of-focus VGA photos.

EDIT: just seen, that's the chronometer version. IIRC it had a 2824 movement in "chronometre" spec, not a standard 2824, and was a couple of hundred more than the non-chronometer version. It's up to you how much you value a chronometer movement, but £375 for a watch that was a good £700+ to start with isn't bad, if the condition is right.
    That's really useful info Andrew, thank you. Seems maybe I've bid too low in that case. Ah well, lets see what's said, I can aways come up a bit and feel more comfortable about doing so in the light of this.

To be honest I don't know if it's the chronometer version or not, I just found pics of a watch that looked the same. What's the visual clues?

I still feel that a secondhand watch of a mid range manufacturer is worth 1/2 original price at best, so assuming it cost £550ish then I'd say it was maybe £250 tops now.

Agreed, that's a more expensive model. Somewhere around the £300 mark starts to make more sense!
    Dave E

Master

Yeah, that's a much nicer watch than the classic. The £375 valuation makes more sense. Now that you've put in a low bid you can work your way up to a figure between the two?
    Thank you. And I agree, lets see what he comes back with and I can take it from there.

Thanks for your advice. :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Oh, and this is one I really like. Plexi crystal, lovely old-fashioned numbers, nice coin-edge bezel, something of a classic design (71 years and counting - not many other designs with legs as long as these), and the dial is a deep gloss black that combined with the acrylic makes it seem as if you're looking into the past :)

That does indeed look stunning! 8)

Master

Agreed, that's a more expensive model. Somewhere around the £300 mark starts to make more sense!

I think it may need to be a little south of that personally, but we'll see.

Reassuring though, thank you. :)

the visual clue as to the chronometere spec is that is written on the dial.
    A watch is worth what yuour prepared to pay, would they let you take it with a 1 week option to retuen if you didnt bond?

you might have to meet or get near there valuation for this but sometimes its worth it - you may only lose more when you put it on the SC :P

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Superal
    the visual clue as to the chronometere spec is that is written on the dial.
    A watch is worth what yuour prepared to pay, would they let you take it with a 1 week option to retuen if you didnt bond?

you might have to meet or get near there valuation for this but sometimes its worth it - you may only lose more when you put it on the SC :P

Definitely not a chronometer then, sorry I didn't look at the dial of the one I posted up closely enough. This one just says ORIS at the top, and Automatic lower down the dial.

I wouldn't be able to have it on approval as it's not theirs. And to be honest I wouldn't want to unless I know we're in agreement on the price.

Ah well, we'll see what's said.

I'm coming into this thread far too late to add anything thats not already been said.

But.

+ 1 from me, I find Oris watches to be superb value for money. I currently have 3 of them and will more than likely add another in the not too distant.

The artelier range is a classic IMHO, I've been eyeing up a 'small seconds pointer date' version for a good while. at 45mm tis a big watch, but it would be the closest thing I'm ever likely to buy to a dress watch :)