closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 16750 GMT (Info Request) - Confused new owner

16750 GMT (Info Request) - Confused new owner

Many years ago (1982) I purchased my first Rolex - a matte dial (black bezel) 16750 GMT which I loved and cared for 20 years. However stupidly in 2002 I part exchanged it for a Franck Muller. A mistake which I have always regreted. However yesterday this was corrected with the purchase of a 1979 Matte Dial Pepsi 16750 GMT.

However whilst doing my home work according to all the sites I looked at there is no such thing as a 1979 16750 as the watch was not introduced until 1980, yet according to the serial number (6125xxX) it is a 1979 - if correct must make it one of earlist 16750.

The Matte Dial is orginal (and looks it) and carries the Swiss T <25, the movement is 3075 Quick-set (which is correct ) and the Strap is an Oyster 78360 with 580 end peices (all of which seem correct to me). The only changes are replacement hands and bezel, although the owner will provide the originals along with the watch when they are delivered - and it will be a decision whether they should be re-fitted (especially in this time when "patina" is everything). No box or papers which is a bummer however this was reflected in the price.

Therefore my question - why are the books/forums saying 1980 for the 16750 introduction when the watch is serial number is saying 1979? Are the books right and my watch is a wrong'em or do I have really have one of the first 16750 to come off the line?

Pictures will follow once it arrives - promise.

Many thanks Andy

SInce joining TZ-UK I have purchased 3 new watches and sold one - as a result I think its should carry a health/wealth warning!!

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Re: 16750 GMT (Info Request) - Confused new owner

I can't definitively answer your question, but it seems apparent from the various fora I've used over the years that Rolex tend to gradually introduce changes, so it seems quite possible to me that you have a 1980 model 'made in '79' - for example I know there are some matt dial subs that came fitted with Sapphire crystals brand new (I tend to lose track of the model numbers to be honest!) - in a nutshell I reckon your watch is OK :)

the case is probably just an older case (1979) used for the new 16750 that was far as i am aware was released in 1980. Rolex have often done this to use 'older stock'. The 16750 just had a new movement and an increased water resistance to 100m over the 1675. so they will have been housed in the same cases. Nic eto have one with a Matte dial as many will have been replaced these days

The watch sound good to me , any pics to help :lol:

Hi - the only pictures I have were pinched from the evil bay ad - try item number 170296026190

Has some nice pictures of the dial etc.

Many thanks for your help so far.

Kind regards Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Andy have you tried over on Turfers?,there are some real Rolex experts over there who will doubtless be able to put your mind at rest. :)

Master

Wow - I love the crystals on the older GMTs. If you ever feel like trading that for a GMTII, do let me know :)

Master

6 million is fine for a 16750 , 1980 introduction would mean manufacture and serial just before that, but 6 million is quite possibly 1980 anyway.

Master

I suspect not a problem

firstly, serial charts are not definitive, your 1979 serial could easily be a 1980 and secondly, as earlier post noted, case stock could have been being used up over the 1979/80 period.

Not that I am any expert, I have just made the error of relying on my charts to misdate a late 60's 5513 - depends whose charts you are using !

You could also try vintagerolexforum.com and I am sure someone there will offer the most likley answer

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor
    I suspect not a problem

firstly, serial charts are not definitive, your 1979 serial could easily be a 1980 and secondly, as earlier post noted, case stock could have been being used up over the 1979/80 period.

Not that I am any expert, I have just made the error of relying on my charts to misdate a late 60's 5513 - depends whose charts you are using !

You could also try vintagerolexforum.com and I am sure someone there will offer the most likley answer
    I see jedly1 has responded - there's your answer :)

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    Wow - I love the crystals on the older GMTs. If you ever feel like trading that for a GMTII, do let me know :)
    A tempting offer however I will see if it bonds - might be interested if the GMT11 is a "Fat Lady"?

Many thanks Andy

Friedrich Nietzsche

I suspect not a problem

I see jedly1 has responded - there's your answer :)
    Thanks guys - a font of all knowledge. Now anyone know how I should break the news to my wife???? :?:

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg
    Thanks guys - a font of all knowledge. Now anyone know how I should break the news to my wife???? :?:
    Ask Derek - he has a wealth of experience in that department :P
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

looks good.

i did a little more looking around and there are definitly 16750's from 1979 that exist.
    enjoy