closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega PO questions

Omega PO questions

After a good 5 hours looking round the sales, I'm determined to buy an Omega Planet Ocean, but have a couple of little questions.

Services - how often and how much do you expect to pay? As well as cash discounts I've been offered a free service (proper one at Omega, not an in-house service) by some shops. I was wondering what this was generally worth. They tell me £250-300 but I'd like a more independent answer. And is 5 years about right before it needs a service?

The orange... I'm torn between an orange bezel with orange numbers or a black bezel with orange numbers, both on a steel bracelet. Opinions? Is any combination "frowned upon" at resell time (this is only a minor consideration, but I'm really having trouble making my mind up)? My gut feeling is towards the orange bezel but I wonder if it might start to look a little tacky a while down the line, or look a little blingy in a suit. Certainly there are a lot more black bezels in the displays...

Sorry for all the questions - just want to make sure I do a good job on my first watch purchase!

Thanks,
    Mark - a watch newbie

Master

Re: Omega PO questions

think its longer service period for a PO movement 8) if your not sure go black bezel orange numbers :hmph:

Master
    Blog Entries

Welcome!. I own the 45.5mm version with an orange bezel and steel bracelet. I looked at and tried on 20-30 different watches before going for mine and I love it to bits 3 months down the line.
    My advice would be if going for the XL version to try and keep it on your wrist for as long as possible in the shop as it is a large, heavy bit of kit and unless you have a decent size wrist it may become too much after a while, however if it's the 42mm version then don't worry too much.
    I tend to wear mine for "best" and going out and about in town, I tried on the version with the black bezel and orange indices yesterday and can see an arguement for that version looking more understated, I may yet get one of those as a daily wearer. I think these two versions are the stand out ones though so it's down to personal preference.
    Don't forget to haggle as well, 15-20% off these at Goldsmiths has been achieved by several guys on here of late, good luck!!

Master

In my experience more people are willing to part with cash for a black bezel, but go with your heart, not your head, it'll be more enjoyable for you in the long run.
    I'd be wanting more cash off, rather than a free service, i always try to get at least %20 off list new, and about %25 of the asking on second hand, managed just over %30 on my recent purchases.
    Omega's are great watches, just be careful, the PO has no micro adjustment, and for me that was a huge no no.
    I also feel the PO bracelet is actually not as good quality as expected, IMO the PO is an excellent watch, but not one i'd have again, just not as impressed with it as i was with watches of lower value, build quality, finishing and overall "feel" of the watch for me is very mediocre, and really left me wanting more, but as a watch for your average person i'd expect it gets the thumbs up.
    Just my 2P
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dawson2k5
    In my experience more people are willing to part with cash for a black bezel, but go with your heart, not your head, it'll be more enjoyable for you in the long run.
    I'd be wanting more cash off, rather than a free service, i always try to get at least %20 off list new, and about %25 of the asking on second hand, managed just over %30 on my recent purchases.
    Omega's are great watches, just be careful, the PO has no micro adjustment, and for me that was a huge no no.
    I also feel the PO bracelet is actually not as good quality as expected, IMO the PO is an excellent watch, but not one i'd have again, just not as impressed with it as i was with watches of lower value, build quality, finishing and overall "feel" of the watch for me is very mediocre, and really left me wanting more, but as a watch for your average person i'd expect it gets the thumbs up.
    Just my 2P
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    :lol: got to laugh there mate, BUT i am interested can you tell me of a better bracelet ? :P
    the aquatimer is the only one i have come across,that comes anywhere near. BTW had my share of breitlings, so i know there build quality :roll: also interested in what makes you a non average person :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    Just my 2P
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    :lol: got to laugh there mate, BUT i am interested can you tell me of a better bracelet ? :P
    the aquatimer is the only one i have come across,that comes anywhere near. BTW had my share of breitlings, so i know there build quality :roll: also interested in what makes you a non average person :lol:
    :D :D My POs bracelet was in a different league to my Breitlings! And other than my DC67 I haven't had a watch with a more satisfying bezel!! Build quality of the actual watch is faultless in my opinion, other than that the sharp lower edge of the case picks up small dings.

To the OP, it's a superb watch and I doubt you'll regret it. The size issue mentioned before is worth considering. I eventually sold my 45.5 as it was simply too big and clumsy for my 7" wrists. My brothers 42mm fits a treat though!! I would have thought the 42 will be better once the trend for large watches dies down in the future as well!

....average person..... :D :D PMSL

Service interval for the co-axial movement in the PO should be in the order of every 7 to 8 years. I've got the black 42mm version, works great on bracelet or NATO strap, my favourite watch so far.
    Steve

Master

Just my 2P
    Thanks,
    Andrew

GO bracelet, Breitling Montbrillant legende bracelet, Rose gold pilot bracelet (Breitling) Rolex daytona bracelet, Jaeger le Coultre master compressor bracelet, Patek philipe golden ellipse mesh bracelet, Omega mesh bracelet, Breitling mesh bracelet (super ocean heritage 46mm)
    The list goes on.
    What makes me different to the average bloke is that i have handled everything from a seiko orange monster, to a Patek philipe 18ct gold annual perpetual calendar (the bracelet was amazing BTW)
    I don't like the PO, find it to be very common, and TBH omega is a brand which to me is becoming like Tag, common and over priced, the Co-Axial is an awesome movement, but i find the watches lacking in soul, feel and quality.
    i think most people may have only handled one or two expensive watches max, i feel i can make a valid judgement having owned over 27 high end watches in the last 2 years, and i have handled more watches than i care to remember, some as expensive as 6 figures.
    My 2P really, but if you don't agree that's opinon for ya, everyone has there own, no matter how wrong it may be :twisted:
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Just my 2P
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    Hmm - I had a large size PO on the bracelet, and found the bracelet - whilst undoubtedly well-engineered - just too damned heavy! - much prefer the 'flimsy' bracelet on my Submariner, infinitely more wearable :)

I liked the Omega, kept great time, good lume, and I thought the build quality was excellent. I wore mine on the fitted rubber which IMHO is the best 'everyday' combo. As for bezel - I just think the orange bezel is horrid, but I like the orange numbers on the dial 8)

Every time I put the bracelet back on, I took it off within 24 hours - just goes to show that heavier isn't necessarily better!

Master

Just my 2P
    Thanks,
    Andrew

The Rolex oyster bracelets are better, the omegas are solid and heavy but that does not equal great quality.

Master

Just my 2P
    Thanks,
    Andrew

GO bracelet, Breitling Montbrillant legende bracelet, Rose gold pilot bracelet (Breitling) Rolex daytona bracelet, Jaeger le Coultre master compressor bracelet, Patek philipe golden ellipse mesh bracelet, Omega mesh bracelet, Breitling mesh bracelet (super ocean heritage 46mm)
    The list goes on.
    What makes me different to the average bloke is that i have handled everything from a seiko orange monster, to a Patek philipe 18ct gold annual perpetual calendar (the bracelet was amazing BTW)
    I don't like the PO, find it to be very common, and TBH omega is a brand which to me is becoming like Tag, common and over priced, the Co-Axial is an awesome movement, but i find the watches lacking in soul, feel and quality.
    i think most people may have only handled one or two expensive watches max, i feel i can make a valid judgement having owned over 27 high end watches in the last 2 years, and i have handled more watches than i care to remember, some as expensive as 6 figures.
    My 2P really, but if you don't agree that's opinon for ya, everyone has there own, no matter how wrong it may be :twisted:
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    thing is andrew i wouldnt shake a shitty stick at half the watches you have named, i like dive watches not blingometers :lol: the GO has a great bracelet, and the daytona CLASP is 8)but both watches are over twice the price of a PO :roll: btw handled and owned plenty high end stuff mate just dont need to shout about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    Just my 2P
    Thanks,
    Andrew

The Rolex oyster bracelets are better, the omegas are solid and heavy but that does not equal great quality.
    My thoughts exactly - the PO bracelet is just too heavy, the clasp is a work of art, but what's with the 2 buttons (a complicated solution which can break, unlike the Rolex equivalent), and it attracts (and shows) scuffs and marks like nothing else :(

My PO used to slide up and down my wrist, even when adjusted as tight as I found comfortable, and bang into my wrist bone - so the bracelet came off and I was a happy bunny :shock:

Wear the PO on the 'fitted' rubber, and it makes far more sense, and way more comfy :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    Just my 2P
    Thanks,
    Andrew

had a sub TBH found the bracelet flimsy :cry: but i have got a sea dweller on its way :P

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    Wear the PO on the 'fitted' rubber, and it makes far more sense, and way more comfy :)
    However, if you're going to use both, and swap between them, it makes more sense to buy the PO on the bracelet, and then buy the strap. The bracelet is fearsomely expensive as an after-purchase item. The rubber strap is merely hideously expensive...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderJameson
    However, if you're going to use both, and swap between them, it makes more sense to buy the PO on the bracelet, and then buy the strap. The bracelet is fearsomely expensive as an after-purchase item. The rubber strap is merely hideously expensive...
    agreed, i dont find my 45 PO heavy, but if i keep the SD the PO will be going on the rubber 8)

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderJameson
    Lots of useful info so far. Please keep it coming guys.

BTW, the target price I'm looking at is £1600 + free service

Grand Master

Just to add my two pennorth, I think the Seamaster Bond bracelet is one of the best I`ve encountered. It has a real quality feel, is v. comfortable and looks great. It is a bit on the heavy side, though.

However....even though it feels flimsy and decidedly old-fashioned, the most comfortable bracelet I`ve tried is the old-style Rolex Jubilee. The reason it's so comfortable is because it is flexible enough to twist slightly, thus allowing it to follow the wrist contours better. By adding/subtracting links and adjusting the clasp, this bracelet can be very finely adjusted to suit everyone. These two factors make for a very comfortable bracelet that's well-made, looks great and is light to wear. Only problem is the relative weakness of the centre links which can lead to stretch, particularly on the gold/2-tone models.

I get annoyed at some of the modern bracelets that have limited adjustment. Ideally, it should be possible to adjust to +/- one eight of an inch, or 3mm. In some cases, +/- 5mm is the smallest increment, which is too much IMO. I hate watch bracelets that don`t quite fit; having small wrists excacerbates the problem, as 5mm is a larger percentage of a smaller wrist than a large one. Obvious when you think about it!

Strayed from the original thread here, but the point I`m making re. the quality and fit of bracelets is worth considering. The makers who use a smaller half-link in their bracelets should really provide a 'half' and 'threequarter' link to allow almost infinite adjustment. When you look at the high prices of prestige watches it isn`t a lot to ask!

Paul

Craftsman

Again I echo the sentiments here-I would buy what you like, and not worry about resale-you can always purchase the alternate color bezel later on if you wish (mine was a 42mm Orange/Orange, and I switched it to a Black/orange, the combo I prefer).

I am very impressed with the PO, but you do have to be sure to get the full bracelet, with the extra links (including the half link) to insure a proper fit.

Best,

Chris

Grand Master

Got a bit carried away ranting about bracelets and forgot to add some (helpful?) comments re. servicing.

My advice is to find a reliable independent watch repairer to service your watches, rather than use the AD. Prices are generally much lower and the quality of work is just as good. If a watch is used sensibly from new, after 5 years it should only require cleaning and re-oiling, plus some refurbishment to the case (if desired) to restore the appearance. As a collector (with a trading history) I have a very good rapport with a local guy who's done all my work for the past 14 years . I`d encourage all enthusiasts to find someone to do their watch servicing rather than use the ADs, even if it means travelling some distance to do so. Can`t beat dealing directly with the guy who's doing the work IMO.

Paul

Master

Quote Originally Posted by simonj
    Just my 2P
    Thanks,
    Andrew
    :D :D My POs bracelet was in a different league to my Breitlings! And other than my DC67 I haven't had a watch with a more satisfying bezel!! Build quality of the actual watch is faultless in my opinion, other than that the sharp lower edge of the case picks up small dings.

To the OP, it's a superb watch and I doubt you'll regret it. The size issue mentioned before is worth considering. I eventually sold my 45.5 as it was simply too big and clumsy for my 7" wrists. My brothers 42mm fits a treat though!! I would have thought the 42 will be better once the trend for large watches dies down in the future as well!

....average person..... :D :D PMSL
    I had to laugh also :lol:
    I've owned more Rolex than I can remember along with GO Sport Evo and Breitling Emergency, B-1 and Steelfish, IWC Inge and Aquatimers, all on bracelet so hope I'm qualified to comment? :lol: (along with other exotica and several Seiko inc. more than on Monster)
    I'm on my third PO all the 42mm version on bracelet (I've also owned the black rubber strap)
    I've found the bracelet on the PO excellent and very comfortable (I can't see how the 42mm version would be much heavier than an Oyster, it's only the clasp that's a bit more sturdy), a touch more so than an Oyster due to the shape of the links. There is no micro adjustment but it does have a half link and I like to wear my bracelet slighty loose anyway. The GO clasp is the best I've had and all watches should have something like that in a perfect world.
    I'm not one for having watches serviced, some will say because they don' hang around long enough but I had my Sea-Dweller over 10 years, no service, no problems.
    I was also offered a service yesterday when I bough my PO but went for an extra £125. cash discount, unless they can give you some form of official Omega voucher (I think Breitling do this) you don't really know what the future will hold. In my case the store were offering to pay for the future service but what was offered was something on headed note paper to this effect, if the store went bust worthless I guess?
    My advice is buy the model you like and don't worry about re-sale (the black bezel white numbers will always be easier to sell for several reasons)
    Just 2c from another Mr. Average :lol:

Edit to add, you can always just whack it on a NATO,

Quote Originally Posted by siddhartha
    Again I echo the sentiments here-I would buy what you like, and not worry about resale-you can always purchase the alternate color bezel later on if you wish (mine was a 42mm Orange/Orange, and I switched it to a Black/orange, the combo I prefer).
    Chris,

Is this easy to do, and how much does a replacement bezel cost?

Thanks,
    Mark

Master

PO shouldn't really need servicing for a good number of years (i'd say what has been said is pretty spot on) so TBH a better discount would be what i'd be going for, i agree to that servicing is a waste of time for some, i don't have a watch long enough to ever have the need to service it, plus you are already thinking about flipping the PO :lol:
    try to get a good chunk off without the service, they probably won't be toooo keen as i guess they only expect to pay for the service in the distant future.
    Definatley worth getting the bracelet when you buy the watch though, Rubber straps come up for sale on here quite often, but i very rarely see any bracelets, although there was a PO orange bezel on mesh here before which in my opinion looked the muts nuts, absoloutley awesome, but the mesh is a small fortune.
    Not sure about changing the bezel, i know that alot of people with Rolex GMT's, and even sub LV's like to chop and change constantly, i guess an Omega could be just as easy, a Rolex bezel is £30, i wouldn't like to imagine what astronomical figure omega charge :?
    As for the comment about shouting about watches, you asked why i was different, i told you :wink:
    Mr Un-Average :twisted:

Master

As for the comment about shouting about watches, you asked why i was different, i told you :wink:
    Mr Un-Average :twisted:[/quote]

:lol: different :? most members on here have done that, its a watch forum :lol:
    but as you say, everybody has an opinion, even if its wrong :hmph:

Master

Mr Un-Average :twisted:
    :lol: different :? most members on here have done that, its a watch forum :lol:
    but as you say, everybody has an opinion, even if its wrong :hmph:[/quote]

Exactly, my opinion is always wrong, just ask the women in my life :lol:
    Honestly i guess it's just a love hate thing, loads of people hate Breitlings, but i love them, no matter what watch i have bought, i always go back to the Breitlings.
    Enjoy the PO no matter what mate, can't beat the feeling of buying a new watch :twisted: once you pop, you'll never stop!!
    Thanks,
    Andrew

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Not sure about changing the bezel, i know that alot of people with Rolex GMT's, and even sub LV's like to chop and change constantly, i guess an Omega could be just as easy, a Rolex bezel is £30, i wouldn't like to imagine what astronomical figure omega charge :?
    A Rolex bezel insert is £30, not the whole bezel and from I understand you cannot get just an insert for a PO, you have to buy the complete bezel which is, I think going to be 3 figures.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

I've arranged 2 good deals at the moment, the difference being I can either save £50, or have a free service. Neither retailer will budge any lower though. I'm told the free service will be a proper Omega service, not an in-house jobbie. Whaddaya reckon?

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches
    A Rolex bezel insert is £30, not the whole bezel and from I understand you cannot get just an insert for a PO, you have to buy the complete bezel which is, I think going to be 3 figures.
    That is correct.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Regarding servicing of the Co-ax movement found in the PO.

Originally Omega stated 10 year service intervals because of the new escapement but have now somewhat reduced this optimistic figure. :wink:

IIRC oil is only at it's optimum for 5 years in a watch movement which is why that is the usual stated service time.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

I had the 45mm Orange bezel with the bracelet, orange croc and the black rubber with the orange stitching. I absolutely loved the watch and still want to slap myself (hard) around the head when I think about selling it!

They are great watches and I don't think you will regret buying one - regardless of the 'version' you end up with!

Good Luck!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by marg
    Quote Originally Posted by siddhartha
    Chris,

Is this easy to do, and how much does a replacement bezel cost?

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark,

It was about a 5-minute job at my local watchmaker, but I brought in my own bezel. I purchased that from Ofrei, and it was a bit expensive. However, it is the complete bezel.
    I know some people have been able to change it out themselves, but the PO has an edge in the case under the bezel, and I was worried about flattening that out were I to do it myself.
    The watchmaker who did it commented on the excellent case/bezel quality, and remarked he wanted to get one himself.

I retained the old bezel should I prefer to go back to orange/orange someday.

Best,

Chris

OK all, I've gone and done it!

I settled for a large size, black bezel with orange numbers on a steel strap. The bezel and strap may be changed in due course, but this is how I'd like to start.

I *also* bought a Tag Aquaracer Calibre S - the regatta model, (edit: like this: http://www.tagheuer.com/the-collection/ ... 110.BA0803 ) with a blue face and bezel. This isn't in the same league but 6 months ago I really liked the look of it and now they're being heavily discounted I took the plunge and bought both.

I'm also really happy with the deal I got on the pair (after 3 days of nothing but haggling and going back and forward between jewellers at the busiest time of the year) and will happily post up details of who is offering what deals if others are interested.

Cheers,
    Mark

Master

well done mate :wink:

Master

I'm also really happy with the deal I got on the pair (after 3 days of nothing but haggling and going back and forward between jewellers at the busiest time of the year) and will happily post up details of who is offering what deals if others are interested.

Cheers,
    Mark
    Good job mate, you won't regret it!! I'd be very interested if you could post the jewellers who are offering good deals as I've finally mangaed to claw some more cash together!! :D

In case it helps anyone else, after trawling round every jeweller in Canary Wharf, Lakeside, Bluewater and a few more, this is what I've found:

- One retailer has 25% off lots of watches, just whats in their window, including some (maybe all) Omegas and Tags but they won't budge another penny

- Lots of places will do 20% off on a Planet Ocean, especially in Bluewater where 3 different shops went to 20% off without too much effort. A couple will also add free servicing.

- There are lots of bargains on tags. I saw the Aquaracer at half price, and other shops would price match it too. Others had it at £825 or £995

I hope this helps someone, but please PM me if you'd like the specifics so I can also give you names of people who have helped me. I spent a lot of time going back and forward and think its only fair that I point you to the same sales people. I'm also hesitant about posting specifics because I don't know how much was a today only price (I was promising, and did, buy today to get the best deals).

The shop I ended up buying from was Beaverbrooks in Bluewater. The girl I dealt with was called Alix and was very helpful, and as I was signing today I did say that I might be pointing people her way.

Master

In case it helps anyone else, after trawling round every jeweller in Canary Wharf, Lakeside, Bluewater and a few more, this is what I've found:

- One retailer has 25% off lots of watches, just whats in their window, including some (maybe all) Omegas and Tags but they won't budge another penny

- Lots of places will do 20% off on a Planet Ocean, especially in Bluewater where 3 different shops went to 20% off without too much effort. A couple will also add free servicing.

- There are lots of bargains on tags. I saw the Aquaracer at half price, and other shops would price match it too. Others had it at £825 or £995

I hope this helps someone, but please PM me if you'd like the specifics so I can also give you names of people who have helped me. I spent a lot of time going back and forward and think its only fair that I point you to the same sales people. I'm also hesitant about posting specifics because I don't know how much was a today only price (I was promising, and did, buy today to get the best deals).

The shop I ended up buying from was Beaverbrooks in Bluewater. The girl I dealt with was called Alix and was very helpful, and as I was signing today I did say that I might be pointing people her way.
    any pics of alix :P

any pics of alix :P

But to help you out more - there are 2 "Alex"'s in the shop, and if you end up talking to one with an adam's apple then you've got the wrong one :lol:

Hi ... great news, and glad you got yourself a good deal.

I put up a posting about the same watch and what discount I might get...looks like 20% minimum is achieveable on the PO.

In addition to looking at the PO, I'm also considering this (if I can find one in an AD)..

I'm hitting the shops tomorrow, and visiting 3 AD's in Bristol. Will let you know how I get on, and thanks for letting us know.

Steve

Master

Beaverbrooks, Bluewater was where I ended up getting my PO on Saturday.