closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko experts- Is my watch worth fixing?

Master

Seiko experts- Is my watch worth fixing?

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the forum, and actually only came across the site by chance when looking for a temporary replacement for my 'problem' watch, which I ended up buying off one of the other guys on here (thanks CmdrBond!).

This is my first post, so please forgive these basic questions!

This Seiko has been my everyday watch for the last 6 years, but it's just stopped working (chrono still works though?). :( It might not be to all of your tastes, but it's just perfect for me and I'll be gutted if it's had it. I'm wondering how likely it is that it could be fixed or even if it's worth it?

My local jewellers (Ernest Jones) quoted minimum of £110 to send it away, with no guarantee of fixing it.

I thought I'd be able to pick up a second-hand one, but can't find another one like it anywhere, so that makes me wonder if it's going to be difficult to fix too.

Does anyone recognise it (It originally came on a green nylon strap), or know if there are substitute movements which could be used?

I haven't been able to find the seiko model number anywhere, but the reference number on the back is: 7T32-7090

Cheers in advance,
    Graham

Journeyman

Re: Seiko experts- Is my watch worth fixing?

Hi

I'm not an expert on quartz by any means, but a if your watch does indeed use a 7T32 movement, these are readily available as replacements, eg AG Thomas for £40 inc VAT. Any halfway competent watchmaker should be able to remove the hands/dial from your watch, put them on the new movement and bingo, basically a new watch. Even I would struggle to spin that out to more than a half-hour's work.

The innards of the movement itself are essentially 'no user serviceable parts, I would have thought. However someone who knows more about it than I will be along in a moment...

John

That’s a standard Seiko module. If all else fails you can buy another watch and get somebody to swap the movement.

Why don’t you speak to Seiko UK first?
    http://www.seiko.co.uk/page.php?n=138

I understand you liking it. That’s one of the ‘military’ models although it was never issued.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Hi Graham,
    Your watch certainly does not create many hits on Google but I don't think all is lost. The movement number is 7T32 and so potentially a much cheaper way of fixing the watch (assuming the problem is nothing as straightforward as needing a new battery!) would be to replace the movement. I am sure you could get one very cheaply, either by buying a cheap used 7T32 beater from Ebay, or posting a WTB on here or on the SCWF (Seiko Citizen Watch Forum). In fact I have an old Seiko quartz chrono at home you could have for nothing although I am not sure if it uses the same movement. I can check if you like. Once you have the movement, you then need to find someone who could swap over the dial and hands pop it back into the case and away you go. For an experienced watch maker, a movement swap is probably no more than an hours work.

The only other thing I would say is that it is definitely not worth paying £110 to get yours fixed, unless it holds sentimental value for you.

Best of luck
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson
    Hi guys,

I haven't been able to find the seiko model number anywhere, but the reference number on the back is: 7T32-7090

Cheers in advance,
    Graham

Master

Thanks for the replies & advice,
    Do I understand this right- 7T32 refers to the movement, which should fit any seiko that starts 7T32, regardless of the next four digits??

Mine's an an alarm chrono- not sure if that makes a difference?

Martin- thanks for your kind offer! I think I'd need to find a willing jeweller/watchmaker before asking you to go to any trouble- I'm in Brighton if anyone knows someone reliable they can recommend?

Cheers again

"The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Thanks for the replies & advice,
    Do I understand this right- 7T32 refers to the movement, which should fit any seiko that starts 7T32, regardless of the next four digits??
    Yes. Seiko's system is that simple to use: four digits for the movement-four digits for the model (incl. case, dial etc.). Tons of info can be found on the Seiko & Citizen Watch forum, http://www.network54.com/Forum/78440/.

And on the accompanying Trading Post, you can place a WTB ad for your movement: http://www.network54.com/Forum/170229/

Good luck!

I had one of them until about a year ago - fab watch as was a daily beater for many years.

in the end mine would work for about a week and then just stop. then it would restart after a wiggle about and then, well the situation would repeat...

in the end i think i just didnt bother doing anything - Hattori UK (just down the road from me in Maidenhead) quoted me i think around £100 to "service" it but couldnt guarantee a fix.

the one i had before that was a 7A38-704C and that was super. I broke the strap after about 12 years of daily wear and if i could find another one i'd buy it in a heartbeat !

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by groove65
    the one i had before that was a 7A38-704C and that was super. I broke the strap after about 12 years of daily wear and if i could find another one i'd buy it in a heartbeat !

I have this one

if You need any part of bercelt - tell me I'll send it to You. :bigsmurf:

Thanks Bart but mine was the grey PVD style one with orange hands etc - different braclet on it.

very nice of you to offer tho !

HAGWE

Cousins sell the 7T32 movement for £33.95 + VAT and postage. Thier product reference is 7T32M

Journeyman

Intriguingly, Cousins also have a very detailed Seiko technical document about the movement; how to dismangle and so forth. Unlikely anyone is going to do that for a £40 movement, though, with no guarantee of a fix afterwards.

John

Give Chris Heal a ring. http://www.chealwatch.com/index.htm He put right an issued Seiko chrono I had and wasn't expensive.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Thanks everyone- sounds like it won't be too difficult to fix after all.

Appreciate the advice
    Graham

That's a nice looking model. Good luck in your quest fixing it!

Master

Great looking watch and well worth repairing at the right price (£50-60 max i'd of thought) , try Steve at Rytetime

Similar in style to the earlier Seiko RAF military models like this 7T27 I recently picked up.

Cheers :wink:
    Neil

I have one or two spare 7a32 alarms, this one might be worth taking the movement from if you do decide to go that route

regards

gadget

Hi Graham,
    I'm afraid mine is a 7T42 - same layout but I guess not a match. Sorry.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    In fact I have an old Seiko quartz chrono at home you could have for nothing although I am not sure if it uses the same movement. I can check if you like.

Master

Just spotted there were a few more replies- thanks guys.

Neil- do you mind me asking how much you paid for that 7T27?
    That's definitely my kind of watch...

Graham

Master

I have a Seiko perpetual calendar watch that had a new movement installed in it last year. Had it done by the US Seiko rep for $80.00. They even give free estimates. I always liked the watch and they still sell them for over $300.00 so I thought it was worth while.

Master

Just spotted there were a few more replies- thanks guys.

Neil- do you mind me asking how much you paid for that 7T27?
    That's definitely my kind of watch...

Graham
    No problem Graham

It was £150 buy-it-now on ebay a couple of weeks back. I really like it and it's a lot of wear since :)

Cheers :wink:
    Neil

Master

It was £150 buy-it-now on ebay a couple of weeks back. I really like it and it's a lot of wear since :)

[/quote]

That's a good price from what i've seen- saw one on a dealer's website last week which i'm sure was the same as that, for nearly double what you paid..

Master

2018 update

I joined this forum back in 2008 - a decade ago - because my watch which I was very fond of (my only watch - why would you have more than one?) packed up and I was looking for a fix.

This was was my very first post and it's a bit cringy reading back, but also nice to recall a few of the older members here and the generosity with which knowledge was shared.

I never did pursue that repair. Maybe because joining a watch forum exposed me to so many interesting new watches that my attention was drawn elsewhere.

I often get that particular watch out though and have a push and a poke in the vain hope that time will have healed it; but despite having disassembled it (to the best of my ability) a couple of times; cleaned the terminals with alcohol and replaced the battery on a number of occasions it's never worked.

Until today.

It caught my eye while I was in my watch drawer and I got it out to have a look. It's almost become a ritual by now: Open the back. Change the battery for a new one. Have a fiddle with the pushers. Put it away again. But today it came alive! I've no idea how or why, but it's currently functioning (with the exception of the alarm) 100%.

To my eyes now it reminds me somewhat of a WWII naval mine, but I wore this watch non stop for a number of years, and I can't help remaining quite fond of it.

Last edited by gcleminson; 18th January 2018 at 23:44.

That is still a rather attractive chronograph in my opinion. I like the way the subdials cut through the numbers, which then continue into subdial itself. I haven't seen that very often.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I joined this forum back in 2008 - a decade ago - because my watch which I was very fond of (my only watch - why would you have more than one?) packed up and I was looking for a fix.

This was was my very first post and it's a bit cringy reading back, but also nice to recall a few of the older members here and the generosity with which knowledge was shared.

I never did pursue that repair. Maybe because joining a watch forum exposed me to so many interesting new watches that my attention was drawn elsewhere.

I often get that particular watch out though and have a push and a poke in the vain hope that time will have healed it; but despite having disassembled it (to the best of my ability) a couple of times; cleaned the terminals with alcohol and replaced the battery on a number of occasions it's never worked.

Until today.

It caught my eye while I was in my watch drawer and I got it out to have a look. It's almost become a ritual by now: Open the back. Change the battery for a new one. Have a fiddle with the pushers. Put it away again. But today it came alive! I've no idea how or why, but it's currently functioning (with the exception of the alarm) 100%.

To my eyes now it reminds me somewhat of a WWII naval mine, but I wore this watch non stop for a number of years, and I can't help remaining quite fond of it.

Grand Master
    holy thread (and watch) resurrection batman!
    great to see there is hope for all those drawer and loft dwelling watches out there....
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Nice backstory (and watch)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app