timefactors watches
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 101 to 150 of 229

Thread: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

  1. #101

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Regardless of whatever he did wear, I think he should wear a Glashütte Original sports diver. For many years, everything he drove and shot with was German, why not his watch?

  2. #102
    Grand Master boddah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,809

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt
    Thanks for posting :)

    Looks to be in very good condition, Fleming died in 64 so if it is a 1016 he would have only had it for a year or so at most.
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

  3. #103
    Master watch-nut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South of Birminham and north of Luton
    Posts
    4,033

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Not sure if it has been covered already so sorry if it has, but Mr Moore wore a Pulsar LED in Moonraker

  4. #104
    Craftsman findo-400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fast by an ingle, bleezin' finely, wi' reaming swats, that drink divinely,
    Posts
    964

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    In Thunderball there were a couple of Breitlings in addition to the Rolex he refers to in the bar prior to the explosion.

    The Geiger watch was a modified Top Time



    And the other was the classic Navitimer 806 worn by the actor Paul Stassiano, who played Domino's brother Angelo Palazzi. He was the pilot of the Avro Vulcan B2, and was killed by Emilio Largo - SPECTRE #2's henchmen divers.

  5. #105
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    583

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    One of the books mentioned he had a Rolex and a cheap watch on an expanding braclet to double as a knuckle duster...haven'r got time to read them all again to remember which book

  6. #106
    Grand Master Seamaster73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    55°N
    Posts
    14,420

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by watch-nut
    Not sure if it has been covered already so sorry if it has, but Mr Moore wore a Pulsar LED in Moonraker
    You're thinking of the beginning of Live and Let Die. He wore a Seiko LCD in Moonraker. :)



    Other Moore-era Seikos:

    The Spy Who Loved Me



    Octopussy


  7. #107
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    21,943

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    The original premise of the thread by Matt was to speculate on what watch Fleming had James Bond wearing in the books.

    I think we can all see what the film versions wore.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  8. #108
    Craftsman findo-400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fast by an ingle, bleezin' finely, wi' reaming swats, that drink divinely,
    Posts
    964

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    I see your point Neil, but don't you think that would have meant a pretty short thread?

    After all it's discussion were after unless I have misunderstood the point of the forum?

  9. #109
    Grand Master Seamaster73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    55°N
    Posts
    14,420

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    The original premise of the thread by Matt was to speculate on what watch Fleming had James Bond wearing in the books. I think we can all see what the film versions wore.
    We can all read the books. :wink:

  10. #110
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    21,943

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by findo-400
    I see your point Neil, but don't you think that would have meant a pretty short thread?
    Not at all and as a great deal of effort has been put in by the OP with a bit of help from others and the post has been moved to "classics" for that reason. I think it behoves the rest of us to keep on topic i.e speculating what watch Fleming had in mind when he wrote the books.

    Quote Originally Posted by findo-400

    After all it's discussion were after unless I have misunderstood the point of the forum?
    If you read the whole thing from start to finish you will see what I am talking about and don't bother with the sarcasm I've been here to long. :wink:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  11. #111
    Grand Master Neil.C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    SE England
    Posts
    21,943

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    The original premise of the thread by Matt was to speculate on what watch Fleming had James Bond wearing in the books. I think we can all see what the film versions wore.
    We can all read the books. :wink:
    We can indeed and as you well know :P there is no definitive Rolex mentioned just tantalising glimpses, so some of us find it interesting to speculate.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

    My Speedmaster website:

    http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

  12. #112
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    290

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    What a great read - to the OP; superbly constructed post!

  13. #113
    Craftsman findo-400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fast by an ingle, bleezin' finely, wi' reaming swats, that drink divinely,
    Posts
    964

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    NeilC wrote
    If you read the whole thing from start to finish you will see what I am talking about and don't bother with the sarcasm I've been here to long. :wink:
    :blackeye: Ouch! :blackeye: Ouch!
    Easy Neil, Don't start ticking people off because you've been here TOO long. People might think your trying to pull some sort of rank thing. :shock: I take it the Churchill avatar referrs to Winston Churchill? That'll be the American writer known for his popular historical romance novels? :roll:

    NeilC wrote
    We can indeed and as you well know :P there is no definitive Rolex mentioned just tantalising glimpses, so some of us find it interesting to speculate.
    From the OP's first post he quotes from the book "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" which describes the watch as a Rolex. I humbly appologise if I appear to be missing the point again but, how is that not a definitive mention by the author of Rolex? It might be interesting to speculate, but is it not better to deal with the facts?

  14. #114
    Grand Master SimonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    14,915

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by findo-400
    NeilC wrote
    If you read the whole thing from start to finish you will see what I am talking about and don't bother with the sarcasm I've been here to long. :wink:
    :blackeye: Ouch! :blackeye: Ouch!
    Easy Neil, Don't start ticking people off because you've been here TOO long. People might think your trying to pull some sort of rank thing. :shock: I take it the Churchill avatar referrs to Winston Churchill? That'll be the American writer known for his popular historical romance novels? :roll:

    [quote:1dp5hgpq]NeilC wrote
    We can indeed and as you well know :P there is no definitive Rolex mentioned just tantalising glimpses, so some of us find it interesting to speculate.
    From the OP's first post he quotes from the book "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" which describes the watch as a Rolex. I humbly appologise if I appear to be missing the point again but, how is that not a definitive mention by the author of Rolex? It might be interesting to speculate, but is it not better to deal with the facts?[/quote:1dp5hgpq]

    You are missing the point again. And obviously have neither looked at the early posts or taken any notice of what Neil said.
    So, pay attention: Fleming mentions 'Rolex' on several occasions in the series, but never a specific model or a detailed description. All the quotes are to be found in this thread. Given the vast number of styles and model numbers produced by Rolex during the period the books were written, the speculation here is which model did Fleming have in mind when he was penning the words. Did he perhaps base his ideas on his own experience and thus his own personal wristwatch (hence the attempts to identify the watch he is wearing in his portrait)? Or, given the time he would have been writing a particular book, did he see somewhere a watch advertised or mentioned ? This was clearly the case when he referred to the strontium issue in Thunderball, a very real problem for the early GMT Masters.
    The watches used in the films are easy to identify and have been discussed ad nauseum.
    There are no 'facts' about the type of Rolex used in the books.
    Are we clear now?

  15. #115
    Craftsman findo-400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Fast by an ingle, bleezin' finely, wi' reaming swats, that drink divinely,
    Posts
    964

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Crystal Simon,


    Thank you for pointing it out in such a considerate and polite manner. Your explanation as to the quest for the model/type of Rolex was most graceous. You are a gentleman, sir. It is certainly an interesting topic that Matt has got going.

    However, my point about the facts rather than speculation, is that speculation or conjecture can lead to mis-information, muddying the waters and leading the enquiry off on the wrong trail. I had read the posts and it is clear that a number of people have put forward possibilities, but Matt in response would appear to have looked at those possibilities already, and politely thanked those for their input or given an update.

    As an aside though, a few people, myself included, have contributed to the post by going through the watches that have been seen in the various films. Granted, not exactly what Matt is trying to illustrate in the main, but never the less, interesting to (some) members of the forum, and possibly making them give the thread a "lookin" more frequently. In addition, it has lead to a different facet to the thread without hijacking Matt's thesis.

    To say that "The original premise of the thread by Matt was to speculate on what watch Fleming had James Bond wearing in the books." is not quite correct, if you look at Matt's first post. He is not speculating, he is carrying out a thourgh enquiry based on facts. The numbers of watches he's identified etc. He even uses phrases like "There is another strand of supporting evidence." He even describes some of the speculation ( not made by members here, I hasten to add) as "an urban myth", and has tried to confirm speculative stories. If the stories had been based on fact it would, possibly, have saved the poor man some time and effort.

    In support of those that posted regarding "the central Bond Watch of each film" ( I hope Matt won't mind me quoting him again), Matt did open the door slightly for further comment on this topic, by listing those he was aware of, AND stated " unless some smartarse wants to prove to me that I am wrong". This challenge was quite rightly, taken up by a few interested smartarses....sorry, people. To then have those posts "rubbished" in what was, quite frankly, a rude and undignified manner, was at least, impolite, and if the theme of the original post was to be taken at face value, missed one point.

    It's not rocket science to see what the main purpose of Matt's enquiry is, but there was an opportunity given for the "sub-plot" to be commented on. Which it was. I hope this goes some way to explaining the reason for my post. I do not wish to distract one further from his excellent work any longer.

    Matt, Mr Swanbourne, gentlemen you have my appologies. Simon, thank you again.

  16. #116
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    4,048

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    No apologies necessary, but frankly, without Neil this thread would never have got off of the ground.

    I really should give him more credit as he patiently answered all of my stupid questions as I knew next to nothing about Rolex. While I don't want to get drawn into this particular argument I think it is important to put Neil's desire to try to keep this thread in line into a broader context: I may have written it up, but much of the historical information about Rolex came from Neil.

    Frankly, I do not mind which direction this thread grows in as long as it is fun and informative.

  17. #117
    Master Filterlab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Long Stratton
    Posts
    3,998

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt
    :lol: Excellent picture!

  18. #118
    Guest

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Have read all the post on this subject, but every time I think of James Bond, I always think of Pussy Galore for some reason.

  19. #119
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Posts
    120

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Very nice to read this stuff! :)

  20. #120
    Apprentice
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    44

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Really, really enjoying this thread.

    But to (hopefully) take it back to the Bond books, and, in particular, what was in Fleming's mind when he created the character, I'd like to ask if anyone can come up with a timeline for Rolex issued to the British military?

    My line of thought is that Fleming originally armed Bond with a Baretta, as it was similar to what he had been issued when he was in Military Intelligence. (More about Bond's guns here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ja ... d_firearms )

    Let's assume this shows that Fleming - writing in the early '50s - considered equipment that he knew be currently in use by military intelligence, or have been used by them during the war, to appear more authentic in his books.

    So, what Rolex would have been issue in this era?

    There is a thread about issue Rolex, which mentions the early Explorer (and I want to believe) here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=80280

    Of course, there is a terrible alternative. . . Fleming did not decide what Bond was wearing on his wrist because it didn't matter all that much to him, hence the discrepancies. However, I really, really don't want to believe that.

  21. #121
    Grand Master SimonK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    14,915

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by blackbird
    Have read all the post on this subject, but every time I think of James Bond, I always think of Pussy Galore for some reason.
    Who wore, of course, a GMT Master in the film.

  22. #122

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    how do you guys find out this stuff, is it good or sad really?

  23. #123
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    14,050

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by justin44
    how do you guys find out this stuff, is it good or sad really?
    Sad? Us? You'll be accusing us of having more than one watch next. :!: :twisted: :D
    Best Regards - Peter
    Please Note: It is possible that Griswold may know nothing whatsoever about horology. It's even possible that he has never even owned a watch. It is also highly possible the he has a strange imagination. His wife insists he would be far better off paying more attention to taking his medication on time.

  24. #124
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    16,108

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Great read matt (and eveyone else) true WIS.

    Just my two penneth worth - Fleming watch was an explorer which was displayed at the IWM, the problem is that before it when to be exhibited it was sent to Rolex for a brush and polish - they in their wisdom decided to replace the original dial and hands, etc - so it may well have been a Gilt version. Also Rolex did make a tu tone Explorer (ref 6299 from 1958).

    My bet is that in the books it was a Rolex Explorer that Fleming had in mind, however in the film the props department got 007 a sub instead.

    Possible alternatives (i.e. Rolex with numbers and mec hands) would include the Speedkings, Royals, Viceroys and Athlete - however my money would still be on the Exp.

    Andy

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  25. #125
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bolton
    Posts
    52

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    i'd just like to say this thread was an excellent read and especially well done to Matt and Neil for some extensive research on the topic.

    Darren

  26. #126

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Thats a great picture and pretty much on the button.

    It is said that Sub sales took off with the buzz saw and magnet gadget versions of the 5513 - from Dr No. if I remember rightly

  27. #127
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, England
    Posts
    135

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    Sad? Us? You'll be accusing us of having more than one watch next. :!: :twisted: :D
    You mean we CAN actually have more than one watch? :o :shock: :lol:

    I best get to the SC quick! :bounce:

  28. #128
    jason.clark
    Guest

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    this is really informative. Thanks M4tt. :D :bounce:

  29. #129
    Master gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    3,128

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    ...regarding the comment on wearing a smiths, rolex was british originally....

    :wink:

  30. #130
    Master
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    4,048

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    ...regarding the comment on wearing a smiths, rolex was british originally....
    Well, sort of: Hans Wilsdorf, a Bavarian, changed the 'trademark' name of his watches from the less than catchy 'Wilsdorf and Davies' (W&D) to the slightly more memorable 'Rolex' during 1908, a period in which they had offices in both London, England and La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland. The company finally changed its registered name from 'Wilsdorf and Davies' to 'Rolex' in 1915. In 1915, a Bavarian in London would have been interned due to being on the wrong side the first world war, so it is safe to assume that the foundation of the company, rather than the trademark, occurred at their Swiss base. The London operation did remain open, presumably under Davies, until rising taxes and material costs made it uneconomical However, in 1919 Wilsdorf moved his entire operation to Geneva, where is stayed.

    Rolex certainly has a deep British connection, but compared to Smiths...

  31. #131

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Excellent thread.. many thanks for the research Matt and Neil. As regards to Rolex originality Matt's spot on Hans Wilsdorf was a Bavarian. Wikipedia has a page on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex and this also sheds more light on the matter: http://www.watchmasters.net/the-rolex-s ... sdorf.html

    I also read an article that he'd send out Rolex to British servicemen during WWII and asked them to pay after the war. I'll see if I can find it again.

  32. #132

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Found it: "The Prisoner of War watches from Rolex"; http://www.ukwatches.com/Notes/prisoner.htm

    I thought it a rather interesting read.

  33. #133

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    BTW this might make interesting read too: http://jamesbond.ajb007.co.uk/rolex-submariner/

    Gives some light as to why Fleming chose the Rolex and how the Sub ended up being in the film.

    But thanks again to Matt for the start of a great thread! :bounce: :bounce:

  34. #134

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    How does the sponsorship work for the JB films? is it a set number of years or up for tender every film?

  35. #135

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Absolutely brilliant Thread!!!!


    Great work lads!!!!!

  36. #136
    Administrator swanbourne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    44,526

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Come on, he's a fictional character. It's like asking "what watch did Popeye wear".

    Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

  37. #137

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Its classified!

    However with all the budget cuts, probably drawn on these days!

  38. #138

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    I thought it was an Omega

  39. #139

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by guzzit3
    I thought it was an Omega
    Have you even read any of this thread?

  40. #140

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by guzzit3
    I thought it was an Omega

    Not in the first films.

  41. #141

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Ian Fleming wore a Rolex, he wanted James Bond to wear a Rolex. When they filmed the first of the James Bond films Dr no. Terence Young the director lent his own watch (a rolex Sub) to Sean Connery to complete the look because Rolex would NOT lend the film one of their pieces to show in the film.

  42. #142
    saber686
    Guest

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Great info, answered some long disputed family arguements!

  43. #143

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    The real James Bond wore a Rolex!!!! I am sorry but Seiko,

  44. #144
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Deal KENT
    Posts
    279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Glad to see you bought over your interestingly erudite post Matt. I'm sure everyone will enjoy it.

    Welcome aboard. :D

    BTW I'm Neil.C here. :wink:
    WOW!! quite a magnum opus
    THanks very much enjoyed it

  45. #145
    Craftsman
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Deal KENT
    Posts
    279
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc
    Quote Originally Posted by guzzit3
    I thought it was an Omega
    Have you even read any of this thread?
    Are we onto his suits now!

  46. #146

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    This thread is insane. :lol:

  47. #147
    Grand Master Jonmurgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cheltenham
    Posts
    11,322

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnHarrison
    This thread is insane. :lol:
    So are you... so what goodies have you got for sale then?

  48. #148
    Grand Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Southern Spain
    Posts
    18,673

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    I think the watch in the Flemming painting has a cathedral hour hand, not the Rolex ´merc´.
    When the going gets tough, the DAF gets going.

  49. #149
    Master worlok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey, US
    Posts
    9,562

    Re: What Watch Did James Bond Really Wear?

    I scanned this thread and didn't see this link so here you go (apologies if it was posted and I missed it)

    Rolex Explorer I

    http://www.jamesbondwatches.com/refs/Wa ... 009Feb.pdf

  50. #150
    Master
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,227

    He wears an LV...

    Not the one that you were thinking though...



    :?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •