closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fake speedmaster - a cautionary tale

Fake speedmaster - a cautionary tale

Here's a thread from the French watch forum from a chap who bought a fake Speedmaster off e-bay (from a Canadian seller) - complete with fake boxes, fake papers and fake column wheel movement. Don't worry about the French, just take a look at the photo's and despair.

He got his money back from Papal.

http://forumamontres.forumactif.com/for ... t43598.htm

And here is what the seller said when it was pointed out he had sold a fake. Butter wouldn't melt, etc.

Hi Will

I don't know what to say. How do you know all these about watch? I was paying $750 for all these watch. I bought around 6. They came with all the warranty and everything so I thought it was real. Forgive me but I don't have any words. I am very new to this as I am only 17 years old. F*** chinese jewellery shop!

Anyways, please send it to this address:
    XXXXX

Thanks Bro for letting me know it is a fake watch. I also bought some Rolex for $1200. Can you tell me, how to check if they are fake or not.

Thanks

Re: Fake speedmaster - a cautionary tale

Quote Originally Posted by SimonK
    I also bought some Rolex for $1200. Can you tell me, how to check if they are fake or not.
    You check by seeing if they're $1200 Rolexes. If they are, then they're fake. :roll:

Blimey - buy the seller, or what?

Master

i think i would of been fooled :?

Clearly a case of 'if the deal is too good to be true......then it probably is'.....
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Clearly a case of 'if the deal is too good to be true......then it probably is'.....
    A fine and wise logic to work by!

But, at the same time, although I'm astonished at the length the original faker has gone to, it's not actually that good a fake! Firstly, I've never seen an Omega warranty card like that (I could be wrong), especially as the ref number doesn't match an Omega ref. :?

More importantly the dial is all over the shop - it's more like the 'automatic' layout where the chrono dials are father apart, yet it still says 'professional' which is odd. Tachymeter is missing the french accent as well. There is other stuff too - the box isn't right in a few places (the extra writing, the cheapo pouch for the cards etc).

I bet the bracelet is real though - I've seen omega fakes with real bracelets and etched serial numbers :(

It's scary how far people would go!

Master

This bit is interesting in the original post (see rough translation, below):

"En fait, l'affaire se déroulait bien, jusqu'à une demande un peu bizarre --> le vendeur préviens que Paypal bloque son argent tant qu'un feedback n'est pas donné.
    Un peu procédurier sur les bords, je ne l'ai pas donné, mais je commence à comprendre pourquoi ce vendeur était à 100%"

"Things were going well, until a rather strange demand....the seller emails me to say that Paypal is blocking the release of my payment to him until feedback on the sale has been posted....I didn't give any, but I begin to understand why this vendor's feedback stood at 100%"

Also note that the pictures in the auction itself were of genuine Speedmasters, not the watch actually sold.

Caveat emptor...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzio
    Also note that the pictures in the auction itself were of genuine Speedmasters, not the watch actually sold.

Caveat emptor...
    :evil:

I have heard of this happening when the Scammer seller actually buys a genuine watch and uses the till receipt with the fake and shows pics of it on the Ebay listing!!

Grand Master

looks like an extremely good copy to me. I think I could have been fooled by this one.......scary!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    looks like an extremely good copy to me. I think I could have been fooled by this one.......scary!
    When the sec and minute chrono hands are zeroed and the 12H totaliser is following the main hour hand ... it's a Chinese movement normally used in fake Daytona.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman

B@stard ! :(
    That would fool most people who had not owned the guenuine thing in the first instance imho.

Not ok.

Scary! As a non-expert, that looks pretty good on a first look.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Doesn't really look like the real thing TBH but it is easier to fake box and papers than a watch. :?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

There is an easy way to spot fakes of the manual wind moonwatch. The real thing has full length markers at 3 and 6. The fake has short markers at 3 and 6. This is because the 3 and 6 o'clock sub-dials on the Omega movement are nearer the centre than those on the movement used in the fakes.

Bear in mind that automatic versions have shorter 3 and 6 markers.