closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More about GRAND SEIKO (GS GMT)

Master

More about GRAND SEIKO (GS GMT)

Hi,
    a few days ago I posted the picture of a Grand Seiko GMT watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisholm
    Re: Grand Seiko
    I love the look of the Grand seiko Wombat. Is it yours, and if so how much did it cost? I think if I was going to push the boat out I would look for a Grand Seiko. I have a couple of ordinary Seikos and they are wonderful watches for the money. The "GMT" you have shown looks about 38mm across, can you confirm this?
    Thanks,
    Martin :P
    Today I found this review, and I think a Grand Seiko is worth it's own thread.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php...o=779283&rid=0

(picture by KH Chiu, uploaded from timzone.com)

Seeing this picture, the question "why to choose a Rolex" got a new aspect! Why to choose a Rolex, when you can get a GREAT Grand Seiko?! 8) You'll never have the problem of answering "Yes, it's a real Rolex!". :wink:

The more I think about it, the more do I believe, that my next watch will be a Grand Seiko (by exception of the Dreadnought GMT).

Has anyone suggestions where to buy / order it from a seller one can trust? :?:

Regards, Hal :)

Grand Master

Re: More about GRAND SEIKO (GS GMT)

Quote Originally Posted by wombat
    Seeing this picture, the question "why to choose a Rolex" got a new aspect! Why to choose a Rolex, when you can get a GREAT Grand Seiko?! 8) You'll never have the problem of answering "Yes, it's a real Rolex!". :wink:
    It would indeed get you out of the "the only thing worse than a fake Rolex is a real one" quandary ... :wink:

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Has anyone suggestions where to buy / order it from a seller one can trust? :?:
    Grand Seiko's are only available in Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Singapore, at least officially.

I've never dealt with this dealer personally, but his reputation is spotless...

http://www.higuchi-inc.com/index-e.html

I have seen this watch in person here in Asia, and I also lust after it. It's a beauty! Let us know how the story unfolds...

Master

Re: "the only thing worse than a fake Rolex is a real o

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    It would indeed get you out of the "the only thing worse than a fake Rolex is a real one" quandary ... :wink:
    Crusader
    Mmh, more of that comments :( and I'll be forced to buy a Leopard-Daytona to heal my damaged ego! :wink: Do you want to take the blame on you?! :x
    :wink: :lol: :D

To be honest, some of my friends laughed at me when I bought the Rolex. One suggested to replace the Rolex crown by a Burger King crown. :roll: Interestingly most of them like - more or less - the style of the Submariner but have a problem with the Rolex image. Well, at least it's just another watch ... . :)

/Hal

Thomas Reid
    I really do like those Grand Seikos. Thanks!

Best wishes,
    Bob

Master

Grand Seiko

Thanks for the link to the Grand Seiko Review. I may be imagining things, but just from looking at the pictures, the superb quality and finish of these watches almost jumps out at you! I also looked up the Japanese dealers site and had a look at the Seiko Marinemaster. Another magnificent beast. Japanes estuff has a look all of its own that is just, well, Japanese! In some ways the Japanese manufacturing style and philosophy reminds me of Victorinox Swiss Army Knives. They could be accused of being having no soul, but I love high quality Japanese goods. I hope my father never gets to see this thread as he is a member of the Burma Star association and was out in Burma fighting the Japanese during the war, and his feelings aren't printable here.
    I can't see getting and change from £1,500 for a new Grand Seiko. Is that about the right estimate?

Martin :smilebox:

Grand Master

Re: "the only thing worse than a fake Rolex is a real o

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Crusader
    Mmh, more of that comments :( and I'll be forced to buy a Leopard-Daytona to heal my damaged ego! :wink: Do you want to take the blame on you?! :x
    :wink: :lol: :D

To be honest, some of my friends laughed at me when I bought the Rolex. One suggested to replace the Rolex crown by a Burger King crown. :roll: Interestingly most of them like - more or less - the style of the Submariner but have a problem with the Rolex image. Well, at least it's just another watch ... . :)

/Hal
    Sorry Hal, I did not mean to cause any offence...

Same gere, by the way: the Sub is a winning concept, but the image surrounding Rolex is something that I would not go for. Besides, for the past 30 odd years, too much bling. Ah, the sword-handed Milsub.... :D

Crusader
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Grand Master
    Hate to say this, but I like the look of the seiko better

Ming

This is the Credor Pacifique from the same site. . . yummy! 8)

Steve.

Higuchi-san sells GS's and I have dealt with him in the past. Fast shipping and reasonable prices on hard to get pieces. I bought my Samurai from him and the transaction went through trouble free. He is also looking for a Orient GMT for me, the style I want was discontinued and became a hot collector piece.

Master

Re: Grand Seiko

Quote Originally Posted by Chisholm
    I can't see getting and change from £1,500 for a new Grand Seiko. Is that about the right estimate?

Martin :smilebox:
    Unfortunately I fear it will be more than that, probably closer to £2,000. Try emailing Higuchi-san for a quote, and let us know what you discover.

The GMT is beee-utiful.

Kevin

DELETED

Master
    I don't have money for a GS but maybe one day I'll have a Brightz. :D

DELETED

Grand Master
    Whoa! :shock: God damn that one's beautiful. Love the carbon dial. Hope it's kinetic at least...more details, like price, please? :D

Ming

I'm saving already my money for a GS GMT. So far I got a ..

...Brightz and a Marinemaster (but the diver is still sitting in Japan, waiting for me to pick it up)

I love these SEIKO watches. :P

Regards

KH

DELETED

There are differences between these two watches but there are also similarities. Why so?

Grand Seiko are made for 'patriotic' Japanese businessmen.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Dilettante
    I've never dealt with this dealer personally, but his reputation is spotless...
    http://www.higuchi-inc.com/index-e.html
    Thanks! I've heard only good things about dealing with Higuchi, and you confirm it again.
    Unfortunately the GS GMT has to wait for while (at least until winter) because of my last acquisition. But a man should have a destination in life! :wink:
    Regards, Hal :)

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

There are differences between these two watches but there are also similarities. Why so?

Grand Seiko are made for 'patriotic' Japanese businessmen.

john
    Very true.

All the Japanese watch mags I've ever seen are full of Rolex, PP, IWC etc and I was told by somebody who went there on business that all the executives wore top Swiss brands.

Westerners seem to long for the GS because they are unobtainable through stockists here which gives a certain cachet even if you have to go grey market.

Personally I prefer the look of the Rolex anyway, and its obvious where the GS styling idea came from but if you were wearing a GS would people come up to you and say,

"Is that a real seiko?" :lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Westerners seem to long for the GS because they are unobtainable through stockists here which gives a certain cachet even if you have to go grey market.

Personally I prefer the look of the Rolex anyway, and its obvious where the GS styling idea came from but if you were wearing a GS would people come up to you and say,

"Is that a real seiko?" :lol:
    For me a Grand Seiko seems to be a high quality watch and I like most of the styles. The real attraction to me is, that it's nearly completely unknown in Europe and not available at the Seiko sellers here. It's a kind of exotic appeal. I do own some nice watches and if I'll buy another one, it should be something special.
    To me the GS GMT is more beautiful than the Rolex GMT II or Explorer II, especially I don't like the magnifying glasses at all!
    The question "Is that a real seiko?" could be the best part of it. :wink: Understatement 8) - especially because the price is nearly the same. The official list price for a GMT II is 3.720 ?, for an Explorer II is it 3.650 ?. AFAIK the price of the GS GMT is 450.000 Yen (+ p+p), which is about 3.320 ? (2.200 GBP). If I order the watch from Asia, I have to pay the German VAT of 16 % + customs duty => at least 3.900 ?.
    From an economical point of view, one should buy a Rolex: lower cost and a - I guess - a higher price if you want to sell it later.
    All in all, if I had the choice today between a GS GMT and a Rolex GMT II or Explorer II, I would take the GS for sure!
    /Hal :)

Master
    Love the Brightz, congratulations KH.

Still there is one thing that bothers: the "B" attached on the seconds hand. I don't like this and some Breitling models have it also. :roll: