closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who can tell me about - Mk II watches?

Who can tell me about - Mk II watches?

I just saw someone post a picture of a Mk II Stingray, poor pic from the Mk II website:

Now I really like the look of this, I've been enamoured of the new BP 50 Fathoms since I first saw it, and whilst clearly just a little bit similar ... its also a little bit more affordable.

So who can tell me a bit about Mk II and how are they regarded?

Also is it a bit too near the original or is it OK?

Your thoughts please.

Edited to make it clear that the "poor pic" was taken from the Mk II website.

Re: Who can tell me about - Mk II watches?

Yao's stuff has a good reputation, and it seem well deserved. I had a Blackwater MMT for a while and was very much impressed with it. It was well built and just very nice. I think Ron Jr did a comparison of the PRS-50 and the Stingray at one point, probably worth checking the Reviews sub-forum.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

He does a few versions of the 50 and for me that is the most attractive one. Ben4watches had one with the full lume acrylic insert bezel. It looked stunning in the pictures but sadly Bill seems to be stopping the acrylic bezel options.

Master

Just sold on a Vantage. It was a beautifully made watch and oozed quality from its pores. Most accurate mechanical I have owned. Excellent service and response from Bill too.
    Just like Eddie - but American.

most accurate automatic i ever had.
    get one while you can :)

mine with acrylic lume bezel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by davek
    Just sold on a Vantage. It was a beautifully made watch and oozed quality
    i sold one too ..wish i did,nt now :(

Master

I have an MKII MMT Blackwater. Great watch, very good quality.

Pete

Craftsman

Bill Yao makes really great watches. I have a Stingray and have handeled serveral of his other offerings all nice and well designed watches. But it can take ages from the date you order your watch until you have it in on your wrist so patience is a virtue when ordering from MK2 watch.

Thanks all for the replies.

Any thoughts on the question re. the similarity to the BP?

Never handled one, but have heard good things about the quality.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by DimGR
    most accurate automatic i ever had.
    get one while you can :)

mine with acrylic lume bezel
    That acrylic bezel insert really does look great! Unfortunately I don't think it's possible to order that insert from MKII anymore.

Master

Tertius,
    One thing you might consider, if you are interested in watches having high technical specifications, is that the Precista PRS-50----Eddie's Blancpain Fifty Fathoms homage----has a beautifully engineered heavy threaded steel retaining ring secured screw-down flanged "stepped" 4mm thick saffire crystal. You can see this in the diagram of the PRS-50's internals on the Timefactors website describing it.

The MKII StingRay --- Bill Yao's own nice looking take on a Blancpain FF homage --- I believe only has a plain press-fit type saffire crystal probably of pretty much standard thickness.

In the comparison as such, in my opinion at least, that makes Eddie's PRS-50 far more of a "real" dive watch, and the Yao MKII more of a nice looking fashion diver. For me there is no comparison between the two and I would always take the PRS-50.

Given that though, I've heard a lot of good things about Bill Yao himself and his FF50 homage does look nice. I'd myself only buy Eddie's PRS-50, though, and I also think it's the better looking of the two by far and it comes with the acrylic inlayed bezel that the MKII StingRay no longer has, and all that for about the same price as the MKII, I believe.

Hi

I've owned a number of Bill's watches: moded 007s, Quad & MMT.

I worte this reviw on the PRS-18 Vs the MMT:
    http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25906

TBH both Eddie and Bill are at the top of their game, choice of hommage, quality, design etc etc, so not much to choose between them... perhaps the only thing would be the exchange rate.! :D

Having owned the quad and MMT for a few years I must say that I am impressed with the accuracy of Bill's watches out of the box, some of the most accurate I have ever owned.

Thanks
    deano

Bill makes the best custom watches on the planet. I have dealt with him numerous times and he is an absolute gentleman and knows the true meaning of the word "service". My Blackwater ran religiously at +1 per day for a year! I miss the watch dearly which is why I am currently on the prowl for another. :wink:

His watches and reputation speak for themself. Go buy an MKII and you will not regret it for a second.

Quote Originally Posted by ticktock
    Bill makes the best custom watches on the planet. I have dealt with him numerous times and he is an absolute gentleman and knows the true meaning of the word "service". My Blackwater ran religiously at +1 per day for a year! I miss the watch dearly which is why I am currently on the prowl for another. :wink:

His watches and reputation speak for themself. Go buy an MKII and you will not regret it for a second.
    I might, of course, disagree with some of the opinions expressed in this post. :wink:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

:wink:

I think you make an excellent watch especially the PRS 50 Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne

I might, of course, disagree with some of the opinions expressed in this post. :wink:

Eddie
    I presume custom means customisable at source. I know some of the input into the design direction of your watches derives from opinions expressed in this forum but once the final design is signed off, that's it, isn't it?

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC

Eddie
    I presume custom means customisable at source. I know some of the input into the design direction of your watches derives from this opinions expressed in this forum but once the final design is signed off, that's it, isn't it?

Martin
    Usually it is, occasionally there will be variations on a theme but I don't offer custom options. I don't have a 9 month waiting list after paying a deposit either. :wink:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

I presume custom means customisable at source. I know some of the input into the design direction of your watches derives from this opinions expressed in this forum but once the final design is signed off, that's it, isn't it?

Martin

Usually it is, occasionally there will be variations on a theme but I don't offer custom options. I don't have a 9 month waiting list after paying a deposit either. :wink:
    Well, quite. I have been tempted several times to place an order for a Sea Fighter but two things hold me back. Will I still want it in 6 to 9 months? And what will have happened to the pound/dollar exchange rate between now and then? On the other hand, there is nothing much holding me back from pulling the trigger on the PRS50 other than .... well I can't really think of anything but puritanical reluctance to splurge for no good reason. Birthday coming up next month though :)

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Rollon
    In the comparison as such, in my opinion at least, that makes Eddie's PRS-50 far more of a "real" dive watch, and the Yao MKII more of a nice looking fashion diver.
    calling Bill's Stingray a fashion diver is a bit of a reach.

does anyone know what type of crystal construction the early FF variants use?

Master

Did someone get banned from this thread? :?:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=194403

Quote Originally Posted by outstretchedhands

That's what I was wondering.... Tiktok? :?

Master

had a Singray and currently own a Vantage. Both superb watches for the money - The Vantage being one of my current favourites of all the watches in my collection

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi

34dean certainly sells the same straps as Tiktok, with the same pictures, so I'd guess it is him. He doesn't look very banned here.
    Dave E

I checked his IP and it appears to be Swedeone3, for those of you who remember him. He was banned a couple of years ago and then came back with an alias. He was banned as Swedeone, Swedeone2, Swedeone3 and now Ticktock.

If he wants to post on this forum, then he has to abide by the few rules that we have. He wasn't banned for complimenting Bill's watches, I also compliment Bill's watches as can be seen if you use the search function. He was banned for being like he is, he can't stop himself.

Eddie

Master

I checked his IP and it appears to be Swedeone3, for those of you who remember him. He was banned a couple of years ago and then came back with an alias. He was banned as Swedeone, Swedeone2, Swedeone3 and now Ticktock.

If he wants to post on this forum, then he has to abide by the few rules that we have. He wasn't banned for complimenting Bill's watches, I also compliment Bill's watches as can be seen if you use the search function. He was banned for being like he is, he can't stop himself.

Eddie
    OK, thanks for clearing that up. I thought something didn't sound quite right on the WUS thread.

That explains it, thanks for the info Eddie.
    Dave E

Wow another thread goes off topic quickly !!

The LAST PLACE i'd take issue up is WUS Dive Watch Forum - talk about a boy's club - and a lot of strokers there !! :twisted:

Back on the OP - i've used Bill Yao MKII for a couple dials and hands for modding - cannot fault his correspondence, service or the quality of the gear.

:)

He's tried to register again with yet another alias. Apparently it's still not clear over at WUS that he wasn't banned for praising Bill's watches. Let me say again, there is no animosity between Bill and I, there is no problem with people praising Bill's watches on here (it happens often enough), there is only a problem with someone registering under different aliases and not wanting to abide by simple rules.

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Wow another thread goes off topic quickly !!

The LAST PLACE i'd take issue up is WUS Dive Watch Forum - talk about a boy's club - and a lot of strokers there !! :twisted:

Back on the OP - i've used Bill Yao MKII for a couple dials and hands for modding - cannot fault his correspondence, service or the quality of the gear.

:)
    Easy David, we don't need any inter-forum BS.

It is clear now Eddie, thanks for IDing him as Todd. Now that I know who we're dealing with it'll be much easier to handle.

My contribution to the thread is that my wait time for the Sea Fighter was a couple of weeks short of a year.

Master

He's tried to register again with yet another alias. Apparently it's still not clear over at WUS that he wasn't banned for praising Bill's watches. Let me say again, there is no animosity between Bill and I, there is no problem with people praising Bill's watches on here (it happens often enough), there is only a problem with someone registering under different aliases and not wanting to abide by simple rules.

Eddie
    It is now.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by waffledialer
    However for the market its the only 4 oclock crown heavy duty diver other than seiko mm, sinn u1 and seiko's skx's.
    :?

Master

Anyone have a LRRP ?

karl

Eddie
    It is now.
    I'm surprised it took almost 3 years, and over 700 posts, to unmask the blaggard :|

Eddie
    Oh it's Todd! :roll:

I saw his post on WUS and Colin has dealt with it.

I don't know what's wrong with that bloke, I used to genuinely like him at one time and he was welcomed here but why he feels he has to go around stirring up trouble under different aliases is beyond me. :roll:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

if you're looking for 4'oclock crown'd divers: there was a recent thread asking for a complete list.

besides the ones you listed...

Orient Diver - 200M & 300M
    MG Rasmus and Nautic Timer
    Ocean7 LM-1
    ---and lots more---

Quote Originally Posted by waffledialer
    forgot to mention another 4'oclock crown diver 'gerard pergeux sea hawk' and the 'rxw submariner' & some citizens, also seafighters are being advertised by bill as ready for immediate shipment on mwr's px in 3 configerations. :wink: dont have an lrrp,karl, but i was thinking of it,none hev sprin bar and rn bezel. Just a bit too high price for me at the mo and would prefer smaller case and accrylic xtal, also the plethora of sub clones puts me off but with the 289x movt i understand it to be a true gmt? but i dont know enough about gmt movts yet to make a decision. I have not seen many if any lrrp on fora yet.

Craftsman

I had a Yao dial fitted to my PRS18A, to add the date function. Several others on this forum have too. I have since changed it back, to return the watch to its original look, so the dial is now up for sale on SC if anyone wants that option for their 18A.

Bill's service was equivalent to Eddie's - friendly and efficient. I do like the choice of homage of Eddie's watches better though (mainly British), but that is a matter of personal preference. I think of them as "WIS cousins" in a way - the market is also big enough for the both of them.

Master

I bought a Sea Fighter and while the delivery time was extended this was mostly my fault as I asked Bill if he could fit it with a ProPlof dial and hands - my favourite combination for a diver. I know that this involved a totally new dial to suit the 4 o'clock crown and this meant a long delay. However Bill kept me informed on progress and even offered to send my watch fitted with an alternative dial then take it back for a swap when he had the ProPlof sorted. I have to say that it looks excellent with the PP dial / hands and the beadblasted finish - well worth the wait. I reckon it's a keeper (at least for now). My MMT Blackwater will have to go as it isn't getting much wrist time anymore.

I have a Stingray 70 it is a good watch very comfortable. The one bad thing about Bill is it takes months to receive your watch and I don't like to wait a long time after I paid for something. After living with the Stingray and the PRS-50 since both were released I prefer the 50 it feels better (I know subjective) to me. There are people on both sides of the fence on this.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by tertius
    I just saw someone post a picture of a Mk II Stingray, poor pic from the Mk II website:
    That was my picture then :D . BTW, thank you for the positive comment!

I am just owning the watch for less than a week, but it has been on my wrist the whole time and I am very happy with it. Nevertheless, sooner or later I have to buy a PRS-50 anyway as I personally believe that they do not compete but do blend well with each other :) !

all the best

Jan

what is a quad 2 - is that a Yao watch also?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart
    what is a quad 2 - is that a Yao watch also?
    Theres a yao quad 10 Stuart, i've not heard of a quad 2

Master

Quote Originally Posted by JHM

I am just owning the watch for less than a week, but it has been on my wrist the whole time and I am very happy with it. Nevertheless, sooner or later I have to buy a PRS-50 anyway as I personally believe that they do not compete but do blend well with each other :) !

all the best

Jan
    Nice choice, I have a PRS-50 and would love one of Bills FF50's with that case and bezel combination. I also like what he has done with the date as it keeps the dial balanced but of course is a bit of a departure from the original for some. Also nice that he has a domed crystal with a flat insert whereas Eddie has the domed insert and flat crystal. Two very different looks.

all the best

Jan
    It was indeed. Thank you for posting the pic. I didn't want to use it without permission, but its a cracking shot.

I really really like the look of it. The simplicity really appeals. Also a big fan of the date at 4.30. I mailed Bill today, so we'll see what he says.

Journeyman

Hi -

I've got 4 of Bill's watches, 2 Seiko mods, a MMT and the 50. One of the Seiko mods was further modded by Bob Thayer in Texas with a flat black teflon coating. Rocks.

One nice thing that Bill does is the six-position regulation for his custom watches. The Swiss pre-made are only done to 3, and both the 50 and my MMT really perform well.

One of the reasons that Bill stopped modding Seikos is that regulating the 7s26 to six positions was taking too much time. They do perform significantly better than the bog-standard Seikos.

The lead time is a major distraction...

JohnF

all the best

Jan
    Great looking watch and a great combo. Love the red tipped seconds. I also feel there is room for everybody who puts passion into their watches.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!