closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 50 Post Ruling

New 50 Post Ruling

Re 50 post ruling in sales.

This is not meant as a gripe or to cause offence, but I have recently missed out on 2 watches that have been for grabs on the sales forum.

I fully understand the reason for the ruling, but surely us less than 50 posters must at least be able to contact the seller via the post topic and not through the less than reliable PM/Email system.

In both cases I tried to contact the sellers via PM/Email but with no luck resulting in the watches being missed.

Is it not possible that low posters can at least buy before the 50 mark.

I have bought and sold to/from members and Time Factors on this forum with supeb results.

Moan over

Thanks

BRGRSP

Re: New 50 Post Ruling

You have to make just 17 more posts and then your concerns will be over ... there will be lots of other watches in future ... wish you well

Cheers

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

PM's are not that unreliable - but it must be frustrating...................sure the 50 will pass fairly quickly :wink:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Quote Originally Posted by BRGRSP
    Is it not possible that low posters can at least buy before the 50 mark.
    Eddie has already explained this.......... this is the way the modification works
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    As some people have pointed out, the post count modification has now been installed on the forum (thanks Graham). From today, members with a post count below 50 will be unable to access "Sales Corner". This isn't a case of "rules for rules' sake", it's to stop the recent significant influx of people joining just to treat Sales Corner like a free version of eBay, people who are unknown to us and may not be offering a risk-free transaction.

The modification is "all or nothing" and there is no facility for any exemptions. Please do not start threads saying that you can't access Sales Corner, it's happened and won't be changed. Such threads, and threads whose only purpose is to increase post counts will be deleted.

Eddie

glad I've reached 50

Craftsman

I came here from across the pond (electronically) to be able to converse with fellow watch enthusiasts. I never bothered to check my post count. Seems to me that if you have something to contribute to the watch community that shares information here, that a 50 post requirement would go by very, very quickly. Why even think about it?

Master
    Blog Entries

ive never had a problem with the PM system, maybe the watches had already gone before you sent the PM??? I think this is a good addition to the site should put scammers off on this site. That can only be a good thing noone here wants to be ripped off.

Try clicking on their profile and just PMing them or e-mailing them from there. I didn't know the mod interfered with the ability to send a PM from the thread, but it isn't hard to get round.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Craftsman

I bought two items before the new ruling, now I cant but this will add +1 to get me nearer being able to buy again :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by t955daytona
    I bought two items before the new ruling, now I cant but this will add +1 to get me nearer being able to buy again :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    Once again:
    Please do not start threads saying that you can't access Sales Corner, it's happened and won't be changed. Such threads, and threads whose only purpose is to increase post counts will be deleted.

Eddie

Master

It was starting to get tedious the number of times ppl popped up on the SC that nobody knew, some a bit dodgy and a few using it as a free ebay. I don't think Eddie had any choice really.

Quote Originally Posted by NJH
    It was starting to get tedious the number of times ppl popped up on the SC that nobody knew, some a bit dodgy and a few using it as a free ebay. I don't think Eddie had any choice really.
    Agreed
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Don't understand why the poster couldnt successfully bid via PM - any seller will be checking their mail as most thread bids consist of pm references anyway.

Or have I missed something?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by IanK
    Don't understand why the poster couldnt successfully bid via PM - any seller will be checking their mail as most thread bids consist of pm references anyway.

Or have I missed something?
    Maybe the seller took the messages in timely order, sold to the first offer he had and didn't replied to the other bidders except changing the item status to "SOLD". Nothing I won't do. :roll:

The rule is there for a good reason and makes sense.I'll be posting more frequently because of it.
    Cheers!

Am i missing something... or is it really that difficult to sit for an hour or two and generate 50 posts ???

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

not according to a few of them on here :D :D

mike

^^^LOL^^^

See lads, all you have to do is reply to your own comments and up the counter goes !!

Woohoo 1500 on the nose bada-bing :D

Master

i think it should be 100 posts :blackeye:

Craftsman

This will get me 1 nearer to being able to buy aain....cash is burning a hole :lol: :lol:

I've just deleted 14 posts from on individual in "Reviews". He just quoted the whole of the original review and made comments like "Cool", "Great", "Good review".

Did he think he would get away with it?

Does he think I have nothing better to do?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Journeyman

There will be a lot of posts that have no information or point. Like this post :D
    This forum is becoming a closed community. The members who are not active can not sell. In my opinion there should be some addition to this rule. For example 50 posts or you should be a member for some time. For example 1,5 years.

Craftsman

I have read this with interest. I started off on the wrong foot with Eddie with an ill informed comment about the PM function (wrong forum and I had failed to understand the way the forum worked). I'm delighted to have been given a "second chance" as I was a long term lurker on here but as a few have said, perhaps feared whether I had much to contribute! My "coming out" was in order to buy a very nice JLC Reserve de Marche from Orange Peel - a transaction that went extremely well and a great addition to my family!

As such, and as a member with fewer than 50 posts (and who will not be posting "cool", "nice watch" etc :D to get my post count up) I might be expected to be an "anti" this new rule. In fact, I agree completely with what Eddie has done (all sounds rather sycophantic doesn't it!) as I think, and see myself, a relatively significant influx of newer posters.

It is no real hardship, indeed, I wouldn't feel one could object if it were longer still. If someone is a genuine enthusiast they will get there sooner or later, and their hanging around demonstrates staying power which has to be all to the good of the forum and to, Eddie's business, which after all, is what this is.

His forum, his rules. No problem from me here. Indeed, I welcome it.

Jesus christ i've just reached the Gordon Brown icon level !! :shock:

That's it, i'm away to post in every f-ing thread i find till he's gone!!!!

How many do i need?? Around 1750??

Quote Originally Posted by ajeekarate
    There will be a lot of posts that have no information or point. Like this post :D
    This forum is becoming a closed community. The members who are not active can not sell. In my opinion there should be some addition to this rule. For example 50 posts or you should be a member for some time. For example 1,5 years.
    This is not true. The SC isn't the forum, it's a service for the forum members. Buying and selling doesn't make you part of the forum, contributing and joining in does.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Did I start all this whining? Can't help thinking that Eddie read my post in a thread in early September started by Ditchdigger titled 'SALES CORNER is it time to just let people get on with it?'.

This is what I wrote:
    I know the users rank status is a bit of fun but the rules could state that members ranked corporal should not be allowed to post a sale item.
    Anyway whether I influenced Eddie's decision or not I still stick by it. The rule is obviously going to wind a few newbies up but so what. To quote Eddie:

The forum is for the discussion of watches and some friendly banter. Sales corner is an add-on for members to dispose of surplus items, be they watches, straps, sofas, cars, hi-fi or whatever but access to Sales Corner should not be the primary or sole reason for becoming a member of TZ-UK.
    It seems clear cut to me, those that find the new mod annoying are those that have for the primary or sole reason to access the sales corner.

So stop whining, join in, you might enjoy it. And if you save a few quid by not being able to access the SC all the better.

Chris.

PS. I'd be happy to see this and any other '50 Post' threads deleted from the Watch Talk forum, it's not really watch talk is it.

Craftsman

Even though I am below the 50 post threshold, I agree with what Eddie is doing. I am a member of a number of forums, many unrelated to watches, where I regularly post. It is always annoying when people who do not contribute to the community, dive in only to benefit from the sales sections. I think this goes against the principal of providing community facilities and expertise for like-minded people.

Good call Eddie !

Now I need to get my post count up :wink:

You just have to look at the number of interesting and informative posts made recently by people counts with less than 50, to know that the restriction is a good thing. I suspect a lot of these new posters just want to see Sales Corner, rather than sell stuff there, which is twice as good. Let's hope they continue tp post once they reach 50.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redmond
    i think it should be 100 posts :blackeye:
    Agreed :blackeye:
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Best get posting.

Quote Originally Posted by ajeekarate
    If a member is not active then how can he/she sell? Catch 22 here.
    F.T.F.A.

Master

Also if someone is hardly ever active is anyone going to risk buying of them?

Thomas Reid

I've just deleted 14 posts from on individual in "Reviews". He just quoted the whole of the original review and made comments like "Cool", "Great", "Good review".

Did he think he would get away with it?

Does he think I have nothing better to do?

Eddie
    As I'm getting older, very little really astonishes me. But, some things still make me shake my head half in wonder and half in amusement. (But, I don't have to be the one to deal with it all.)

Best wishes,
    Bob

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Maybe the rule should be to have a certain percent of your posts in a certain subgrouping of sub-fora. This should be able to be done automatically.

Then not disclose the required percentage and the required fora!

Then you kind'a have to be an "all-around member" to gain access to the sale forum.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

would you believe it!
    looks like the same guy eddie had to deal with has only gone and done it again!!

fun and games, gotta be dumb though?!

cheers
    mike :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    would you believe it!
    looks like the same guy eddie had to deal with has only gone and done it again!!

fun and games, gotta be dumb though?!

cheers
    Yes, another 20 minutes to clean up :evil: . There won't be anymore for at least 7 days though. :twisted:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Jesus christ i've just reached the Gordon Brown icon level !! :shock:

That's it, i'm away to post in every f-ing thread i find till he's gone!!!!

How many do i need?? Around 1750??
    I discovered the same thing has happend to me... :(

I've been a lurker for a number of years, and a member for about six months. I've have begun to contribute due to the 50 post rule.
    99 % of us are WIS's and belong to a number of forums. Most of us, if we met at the pub, would enjoy conversation and fellowship with our WIS brethren.
    The "rule", while limiting some free market activity, makes sense due to the virtual nature of our community. The SC stuff, while always worth it, is secondary to the people who make this forum worth joining.

I can't stand people who post stupid non-watch related stuff or dumb smilies as the whole post!

Here's my stats: thanks crusader
    [ 632 Posts / 26.86% of your posts ]

:D

Will somebody please sell me 49 of their post's if at all possible.

Only joking Eddie .

Another vote for the 50 posts - almost there now. I lurked for ages, and to begin with only posted if I thought I had something to add, which wasn't often. So the slight unintended consequence is, I guess, that the established posters have to wade through the make-weights made by people like me who want to have access to SC, as a buyer in my case.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by goz211
    The rule is there for a good reason and makes sense.I'll be posting more frequently because of it.
    Cheers!
    Agreed...me too. :D

Master

would it be possible to be able to only post replies to topics in SC whilst under 50? Sometimes there's some interesting discussions or questions you wanted to ask but cant.

good rule all in all though.

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    would it be possible to be able to only post replies to topics in SC whilst under 50? Sometimes there's some interesting discussions or questions you wanted to ask but cant.

good rule all in all though.

Eddie

Craftsman

It is a shame missing out on the fantastic watches and deals that the sub-50 members have for sale. These end up having to be sold on other forum.

Whilst I have nothing to sell, I think it is regrettable that all members here are being restricted to purchasing only from the established members. Why not let anyone sell watch related items and limit the sale of cars, kettles, handbags, etc to the 50+ 'ers.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen
    It is a shame missing out on the fantastic watches and deals that the sub-50 members have for sale. These end up having to be sold on other forum.

Whilst I have nothing to sell, I think it is regrettable that all members here are being restricted to purchasing only from the established members. Why not let anyone sell watch related items and limit the sale of cars, kettles, handbags, etc to the 50+ 'ers.
    i think you are missing the point of why this 50 post was instigated in the first place, if you look back at the topics covering this i think it will become clear why.

cheers

Craftsman

i think you are missing the point of why this 50 post was instigated in the first place, if you look back at the topics covering this i think it will become clear why.

cheers
    No, I haven't 'missed the point'. I'm just expressing my view. Whether or not it agrees with your view or anybody else's view is irrelevant.

Over the next few weeks and months, for reasons that will be obvious, there is every chance that there will be some distressed sales - especially in the city. These individuals can either pop into Blowers and get a lowball offer or find this site and offer it to our members for a mutually great deal. Oh but wait, that can't happen, 50 post and all that. Guess that'll make Blowers happy. :lol:

http://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/index.htm

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Queen

cheers
    No, I haven't 'missed the point'. I'm just expressing my view. Whether or not it agrees with your view or anybody else's view is irrelevant.
    as i said I THINK you are missing the point, no need to get arsey with me fella, because it wont do you any good

mike

Just had a sales idea!

How about only allowing only customers access to SC, i.e.those who have bought a PRS from Eddie!

This rule may well prove why I never had a future in sales or marketing :( (or politics)

Craftsman

as i said I THINK you are missing the point, no need to get arsey with me fella, because it wont do you any good

mike
    A threat? Blimey.