closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Post count modification installed

Master

Re: Post count modification installed

I applaud this small change. While some may consider the 50 post minimum prior to access the SC, it makes perfect sense. Many here are relatively new to the forum. Welcome, all. There are also a fair number who have been members for more than five years. The longevity of the membership here speaks volumes of credit to our host and how he has managed the traffic on the forum over time. I beleive this change to be the next reasonable step.

I must say that, while I look at the SC everytime I log in, I hvae not ever sold there, and have only made a few purchases over the years...

Just my two cents.

Craftsman
    Lancaster / Stavanger / Fishguard, Norway / UK

A good move in my view, especially if it prevents relatively inexperienced enthusiasts being savaged by louts.

Could I also recommend that the post count only count when the poster actually contributes something in words rather than a just smilies or a +1?

Balth

Oh dear. Was about to have my daily peek in the sales section, but couldn't. :(

What confuses me a bit though, is that it said I only needed 7 more posts (?). You might want to look into that.

Master

Well, it was probably necessary, even though I've never been in favour of it.

I haven't got much to say in fact. I'm only posting this because I need one more to get 500. :lol:

Master

what about a initiation ceremony

i think its hazeing in USA parlance

that might be fun :lol:

Blog Entries

only time will tell

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Just talk drivel, it never held me back! :D
    I'm sure some will try; it'll be almost like real life. :|

Blog Entries

[quote="chrisjones3"]A good move in my view, especially if it prevents relatively inexperienced enthusiasts being savaged by louts.

Blimey, that's a bit strong! :wink:

A sensible precautionary step in my opinion -
    one that will enhance the forum and hopefully
    keep the Sales Corner alive for all the correct reasons.

Good work -

TTPS

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp
    Another newbie here.....it say's for me that I only need 10 posts to view the sales corner...that seems reasonable, is the 50 for posting?
    Thats what I get too.

Getting to 50 posts will be no problem for a man of my articulacy and prodigous output - although I shall pass on the job of writing the extra 40 odd posts to my butler who in turn will pass it on to the gardener.

A man of my means can't be expected to be bothered by such trifles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IanK
    Another newbie here.....it say's for me that I only need 10 posts to view the sales corner...that seems reasonable, is the 50 for posting?
    Thats what I get too.

Getting to 50 posts will be no problem for a man of my articulacy and prodigous output - although I shall pass on the job of writing the extra 40 odd posts to my butler who in turn will pass it on to the gardener.

:shock: Blimey, this is not a gardening forum, unless your 'man' is horologically minded he is likely to get confused by certain discussions, e.g. Onion crowns! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav
    Quote Originally Posted by IanK
    Thats what I get too.

:shock: Blimey, this is not a gardening forum, unless your 'man' is horologically minded he is likely to get confused by certain discussions, e.g. Onion crowns! :lol:
    Never fear my gardener wears a Patek - he's well rewarded for fighting those worm casts.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

I can understand the reasons for this, but dont neccessarily agree with their installation, for obvious reasons :evil: .

Whilst I have never sold on here, or maybe never will, I have bought from here hassle free, only a couple of straps tbh but I'm sure the seller appreciated the sale never the less. Anyway, I hope it doesnt impact on the guys wishing to sell too much, and unfortunately I cant see me reaching 50 posts anytime soon. I do have an interest in watches, owning amongst others a 1965 Seamaster, passed down from my dad, and an oris bought for me by my ex missus. I will try to up my count but I aint holding my breath....

Stuart

It's a forum, cinnabull, where people chat about their shared interest. Eddie allows regular forum members to have the Sales faclity. Post pics, take part and a, you might have some fun and b, your post count will rise... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by cinnabull
    I can understand the reasons for this, but dont neccessarily agree with their installation, for obvious reasons :evil: .

Whilst I have never sold on here, or maybe never will, I have bought from here hassle free, only a couple of straps tbh but I'm sure the seller appreciated the sale never the less. Anyway, I hope it doesnt impact on the guys wishing to sell too much, and unfortunately I cant see me reaching 50 posts anytime soon. I do have an interest in watches, owning amongst others a 1965 Seamaster, passed down from my dad, and an oris bought for me by my ex missus. I will try to up my count but I aint holding my breath....

Stuart
    And your a prime example of why the change has been implemented... people using the forum ONLY to buy or sell, therefore this just becomes a sales forum for you and that is NOT what this place is about.

If your not interested in getting involved then that is your choice and those of other like-minded people who treat this place the wrong way.

wrightyrs

Its a very good idea,
    will encourage members to get more involved.
    Yes i have been browsing for a while now and was lucky enough to find a watch i had seen but never been able to find in the For Sale section from a local buyer and the watch was in as described condition.
    I am sure my post count will increase so i can access the Sales Corner,will give me time to save some more money up!!!

Master

Look like a sensible idea to me, at least it will stop people with 2 posts trying to sell shed loads of electrical stuff in sales corner! :lol:

ill have to get posting to get up to my 50.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie
    And your a prime example of why the change has been implemented... people using the forum ONLY to buy or sell, therefore this just becomes a sales forum for you and that is NOT what this place is about.

If your not interested in getting involved then that is your choice and those of other like-minded people who treat this place the wrong way.
    Please dont assume I have come here ONLY to buy or sell, or treat 'this place' the wrong way. Yes, I have only recently joined but have been a reader for quite a while and have learned a fair bit and for that I'm grateful. I may post further when I have something useful to add. I certainly wont be one of those posters who just post a smilie or a nonsensical comment just to get some feeling of 'interacting', like I've already said, I aint holding my breath on upping my count, if it comes, it comes, if it doesn't, hey ho!!

Stuart

I didn't implement the mod because I wanted to, I did it because some people were abusing the forum. Like everything else, the many suffer for the actions of the few.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by sjokotof
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    Although we operate on few rules in these fora, I believe this is a neccessary step. However it will be interesting to see the kind of input we get from new members as they strive towards fifty posts. I will say to anyone who feels that any questions they might ask, or replies they might make, will be construed as "dumb" ( the words of many a new member, not mine ) then just ask/reply away. There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers.
    Thank you for your friendly words Magirus, they might help in alleviating my reticence (sorry 'bout that).
    I concur that something needed to be done, but can you explain where the harm lies in reading the SC?
    Not being coy here, I truly can't see why read access would be detrimental the forum's existence.
    Hi guys - new boy here. I am still viewing the sales corner by logging out as a user, so presumably those of us waiting for 'credibility' can still whet our appetites that way.

Master

"I didn't implement the mod because I wanted to, I did it because some people were abusing the forum. Like everything else, the many suffer for the actions of the few."

Surely there is a way of logging the IP address of the 'forum abusers' and putting them in a 'sin bin'.......and stop calling me shirley......

As another newbie can you advise what is the 'right way' to use this forum?
    Would it help to up my post count if I used a computer to access the forum?

Quote Originally Posted by tuscanracer
    "I didn't implement the mod because I wanted to, I did it because some people were abusing the forum. Like everything else, the many suffer for the actions of the few."

Surely there is a way of logging the IP address of the 'forum abusers' and putting them in a 'sin bin'.......and stop calling me shirley......
    Like I don't have anything else to do. :evil: :evil:

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

has this restriction just been removed an hour ago it wouldnt let me view now it does

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EN1gma

As another newbie can you advise what is the 'right way' to use this forum?
    Would it help to up my post count if I used a computer to access the forum?
    ??? You could try using a kettle but I do not think you would get very far! 8)

Welcome to the forum by the way. It may not be immediately obvious but you are likely to enjoy it on here and you will learn a lot, as we all do. :)

Master

Some great posts here. Vaizki's reasoned piece on page 1 is excellent; and IanK's references to his butler and gardener made me laugh, too.

Some may have missed the tip that logging out as a user seems to allow view-only access to Sales Corner - which sounds as if it solves the quibble of those who wanted the rule to be that you could at least view the forum, even if you couldn't actually post (ie. buy or sell), until you reach a post-count of 50.

Will be interested to see if TZ-UK continues to grow as a community; I hope it will. And the new modification will presumably be simple to reverse if it discourages new blood to too great an extent. Onwards and upwards!

Apprentice

I've got the same thing as Sid, I'm logged in, and now it's letting me read Sales Corner, whereas at work today, it wouldn't let me.
    Either way, I've got to say, I like the idea. I spend a lot of time lurking on here, and many times pass up the opportunity to chip in, even when I've got something (irrelevant) to add.

The 50 post count suddenly made me want to join in (because I love checking out SC each day). It's a good idea Eddie, stick with it!

Please dont assume I have come here ONLY to buy or sell, or treat 'this place' the wrong way. Yes, I have only recently joined but have been a reader for quite a while and have learned a fair bit and for that I'm grateful. I may post further when I have something useful to add. I certainly wont be one of those posters who just post a smilie or a nonsensical comment just to get some feeling of 'interacting', like I've already said, I aint holding my breath on upping my count, if it comes, it comes, if it doesn't, hey ho!!

Stuart
    You can read until the cows come home, it's writing that matters.:roll:
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman

Hi all,
    I can understand the reason for this change and I can't think of a better alternative, but I too found SC informative in terms of what members value and find interesting to collect/trade/sell. WTB is interesting for the same reason. I am not a prolific poster because I would rather make a (hopefully) sensible contribution than small talk but I guess I'd better become more productive.
    regards,
    David

Craftsman

Like many I'm new to the forum and have some way to go the the 50 count. I've not been privy to to many of the issues discussed although witnessed some of the recent comments.

As a new member I read and fully accept the forum rules and can understand the need for them, although must admit that I like many enjoy looking in the sales section and reading some of the discussions about movements etc that are included in the threads.

At the moment I have the best of both worlds, I have no need to post items for sale but can still view advertised items (I could always PM members if interested in any particular item).

I look forward to increasing my knowledge and paticipating in the wider forum (and been abused for my current and future poor taste in watches).

Julian

Ps only 39 more posts to go.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy
    Like many I'm new to the forum and have some way to go the the 50 count....I could always PM members if interested in any particular item

I did suggest that the PM facility be similarly restricted to posters with 50+ posts. Otherwise you get spammed by kind people making you offers :wink: .

I am glad that you didnt get rid of the sales corner....

1 post down.. lots more to go...

This is the problem that I have with post rules like the one which has been introduced. It just means that people contribute useless posts (yes this probably is one, before someone else points that out) rather than posts which are informative or the member has some knowledge on the subject.

anyway thats my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ
    Your shop your rules. I've never had a problem with falling in with "This is how it is" in my life. If you have the choice not to stick around fair enough. Maybe it's my age, I grew up in a "do as you are told" world. All things considered, it isn't hard to make 50 posts.
    Hi Russ

Its a simplistic view, but it gets my vote 100%.

On the subject of the number 50, just look at the variety of sub-fora to be active in - this could be made in less than a week.

Thanks
    deano

I've never been a great forum chatter, either here or anywhere else. I like to read other peoples advice but don't feel confident enough to make comments of my own on a lot of the subjects. This might get me to improve my social networking skills. Today watch forum, next month MySpace?

Craftsman

I'm a newbie who has been looking in SC for a few weeks, just being nosy and admiring the many fine watches, before registering as a member.....

I can see where you are coming from in some people treating SC like ebaymeup, and totally agree, but it just means I've got to get 48 more posts on the system after this one... I only thought I had to talk crap at work!!!!

Of course, we don't want crap here either, but we're all guilty of it now and then... ;)

Craftsman

Agreed :wink:

I can completely understand where Eddie is coming from by adding this change to SC because as a newbie that has been following certain parts of the forum and being privileged enough to be able to buy some nice watches from the decent people who make up the forum i know in the long run that what he has done by adding the post count will save me hassle and money buying from someone unscrupulous but i have to admit it has been funny reading the comments forum members make to individuals that 'try it on'.
    Keep up the good work guys as you keep me entertained.
    Well done Eddie.

This is a most welcome feature Eddie.

50 posts is not bad - it is sufficient to weed out the ePrayers and enough that people get a feel for the new sellers in advance before they reach that minor milestone and put their stuff FS.

I applaud this news.

Journeyman

My concern is that fifty 'posts' will be seen as some if even a token measure of trustworthiness and thus the baby may well be heading off with the bathwater. Having had my membership temporarily suspended today as I tried in vain hurriedly to up my posts to 50 in order to enquire about an item on sales corner, it's really all been a bit too much for me. There are watchers and talkers and I am most definitely in the first camp. I think I'll just hibernate and wait till your unwanted's end up on flea bay. Not really in the market for overpriced high end stuff anyways. This will not make your sales corner any safer, imo. Yes it may deter the chancer who just wants to register and sell without taking part, and get free advertising, but it will be seen as good news by the determined scammers, who believe me are out there watching and waiting in the wings, and may already be among us with a good deal more than 50 posts!!!!!! Keep safe and goodbye for the meantime. It would be wrong of me to mention the item I was interested in purchasing but it was not something that would go on my wrist. Looks like I'll be keeping some of mine a while longer, not that I want to take it with me, you understand. On that note farewell and adieu.

Quote Originally Posted by joe manco
    My concern is that fifty 'posts' will be seen as some if even a token measure of trustworthiness and thus the baby may well be heading off with the bathwater. This will not make your sales corner any safer, imo.
    Fifty posts will not be taken as a token of trustworthiness. Trust has to be earned and there is only one way to do it: first you have to be known, second you have to have credentials. Both take time to gain. Those who are willing to put their time and effort onto it will gain. Those who dont, dont. Nuff said.

Bye bye.

This will not make your sales corner any safer, imo. Yes it may deter the chancer who just wants to register and sell without taking part, and get free advertising, but it will be seen as good news by the determined scammers, who believe me are out there watching and waiting in the wings, and may already be among us with a good deal more than 50 posts!!!!!!
    Well, I for one don't think I've seen any evidence of that here.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Does anyone know why the Bear Pit has had a 50 post pre-requisite implemented (or does it only affect me) :)

Paul

This is a good move Eddie 8)

Quote Originally Posted by ganners
    Does anyone know why the Bear Pit has had a 50 post pre-requisite implemented (or does it only affect me) :)

Paul
    You really need to get a feel for the forum and the people who regularly post in the Pit before you step in there. :wink:

Eddie

Quote Originally Posted by joe manco
    My concern is that fifty 'posts' will be seen as some if even a token measure of trustworthiness and thus the baby may well be heading off with the bathwater. Having had my membership temporarily suspended today as I tried in vain hurriedly to up my posts to 50 in order to enquire about an item on sales corner, it's really all been a bit too much for me. There are watchers and talkers and I am most definitely in the first camp. I think I'll just hibernate and wait till your unwanted's end up on flea bay. Not really in the market for overpriced high end stuff anyways. This will not make your sales corner any safer, imo. Yes it may deter the chancer who just wants to register and sell without taking part, and get free advertising, but it will be seen as good news by the determined scammers, who believe me are out there watching and waiting in the wings, and may already be among us with a good deal more than 50 posts!!!!!! Keep safe and goodbye for the meantime. It would be wrong of me to mention the item I was interested in purchasing but it was not something that would go on my wrist. Looks like I'll be keeping some of mine a while longer, not that I want to take it with me, you understand. On that note farewell and adieu.
    I did warn that anyone boosting their post count by making useless and irrelevant posts would have the posts deleted but you chose to ignore it. It's because people ignored the guidelines for Sales Corner that the restriction was introduced!

You don't need to be able to post on Sales Corner to enquire about an item posted there; you can still PM the poster.

Eddie

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBoy
    Like many I'm new to the forum and have some way to go the the 50 count....I could always PM members if interested in any particular item

I did suggest that the PM facility be similarly restricted to posters with 50+ posts. Otherwise you get spammed by kind people making you offers :wink: .
    Surely newbie money is as good as' or do you old (50 plus) folks want to keep all the shiney bits to yourselves :lol:

See how quickly the post count goes up MonkeyB :lol:

50 posts ain't a lot really - and I'd be surprised if more than 1% of my posts had really useful content :roll:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I didn't implement the mod because I wanted to, I did it because some people were abusing the forum. Like everything else, the many suffer for the actions of the few.

Eddie
    Yes, I can see how this was reqd. I have to say I'm disappointed as I have been a member here for some time, and enjoy reading it, but I'm a modest poster. I can see that this would make the SC more robust for those who can access it.

For me, it will probably save me a few $$. I've bought one watch in the SC and sold one through the WTB, but mostly I just like to look at what's out there.

I guess I'll just have to speak up more

Master

I'm surprised how huffy the reaction has been (not everyone, just a few), given the long-repeated mantra that sales corner is an adjunct to the rest of the forum and not its reason for being. It makes me think that perhaps I'd underestimated the number of people who just want to trade at some level.

It's such an open and friendly community, it's not really hard to join in, and in a week or two you'll have enough to sell, if that's what you want. It may take longer than that to build credibility as a seller but that's a different issue.

I browsed for months before joining, and probably didn't post much for a while after that. But I could have done all that under the new system too.