closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Golf competition ideas please

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Golf competition ideas please

Ok golfers….i regularly arrange golf trips with some mates and have one coming up soonish. Hopefully there will be 16 of us so that’s easy….two teams of 8 etc.
    However, there is a chance we will be down to 15. Apart from the obvious stableford competition can any of you come up with a team competition which involves three teams of five? Bear in mind it can’t involve matchplay as we will have to have five tee times (2 groups of 4 and 3 groups of 3).

Master
    A simple solution is to allow the teams of 3 after finishing to select a 4th player at random from the teams of 4. The downside is that it means everyone in the 4 balls has to finish each hole if they can score and you have to trust them to do their best, rather than sat 3 putting on purpose because their teams scores are secured (if playing best 2 or 3 stableford scores from 4).

The upside is the added drama in the clubhouse of selecting the additional players to find out who's won.

Prime numbered clubs only.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I'm no golfer but I don't understand the groupings in the final sentence. Why isn't it 3 groups of 4 and a group of 3?
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'm no golfer but I don't understand the groupings in the final sentence. Why isn't it 3 groups of 4 and a group of 3?
    That’s the way we’ve played a 15 in the past when it’s happened in our society matches. There is a formula to bring the 3 ball score up to an equivalent 4 ball. Should be able to find it on the net, it was something our captain used in such situations.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    That’s the way we’ve played a 15 in the past when it’s happened in our society matches. There is a formula to bring the 3 ball score up to an equivalent 4 ball. Should be able to find it on the net, it was something our captain used in such situations.
    Duckworth–Lewis–Stern method

or something

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    A simple solution is to allow the teams of 3 after finishing to select a 4th player at random from the teams of 4. The downside is that it means everyone in the 4 balls has to finish each hole if they can score and you have to trust them to do their best, rather than sat 3 putting on purpose because their teams scores are secured (if playing best 2 or 3 stableford scores from 4).

The upside is the added drama in the clubhouse of selecting the additional players to find out who's won.
    Yes this is how our crowd would do it. Not quite sure about the OPs maths for his groupings though as per Mr Curta’s comment, we would just play 3x fourballs and a 3 ball going out first. We’d probably do best 3 stableford scores, bit more pressure for the 3 ball but lowers the likelihood of shenanigans from the 4s!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Not quite sure about the OPs maths for his groupings though as per Mr Curta’s comment...
    The OP said they have 5 tee times booked hence the 5 groups, though using all 5 isn't compulsory but can allow the 3 balls to play quicker depending on how busy it is.

If there's more than one game then you could do a Ryder Cup style variation with 4BBB/singles within the 4s and set one 3 balls against the next day's 3 ball etc.
    Last edited by deepreddave; 13th April 2024 at 09:25.

Someone has 2 hits.

I’m no golfer.

The OP said they have 5 tee times booked hence the 5 groups, though using all 5 isn't compulsory but can allow the 3 balls to play quicker depending on how busy it is.
    Ah okay, I still don't quite understand the grouping though. Wouldn't 5 groups of 3 make most sense and then do some fancy maths with the individual totals to create team results?

Three ball Texas scrambles are good. They’re also good for large groups as it keeps everyone moving.

If you split the three into one low, one mid and one high handicapper then everyone will play their part. Everyone also has hit so many drives per team. So you can’t just keep picking the big hitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Ah okay, I still don't quite understand the grouping though. Wouldn't 5 groups of 3 make most sense and then do some fancy maths with the individual totals to create team results?
    It's an option but the standard formats involve even numbers.

Master
    Find a 16th man

It's an option but the standard formats involve even numbers.
    The OP had 3 groups of 3, which gave a total of 17...

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Yes this is how our crowd would do it. Not quite sure about the OPs maths for his groupings though as per Mr Curta’s comment, !
    Ah….i can explain that….i put it down to being in the middle of a night shift and not having the brain on full power!
    We have 5 tee times and if we end up with 15 then it just makes it easier to have 5x3 balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Someone has 2 hits.

I’m no golfer.
    Indeed you are not. Wouldn’t work.

You can easily have a stableford competition with three teams of 5 …doesn’t even require fancy maths!

Quote Originally Posted by Andyp1973 View Post
    Three ball Texas scrambles are good. They’re also good for large groups as it keeps everyone moving.

If you split the three into one low, one mid and one high handicapper then everyone will play their part. Everyone also has hit so many drives per team. So you can’t just keep picking the big hitter.
    I had thought about that but it won’t really speed up the round as we will be bookended by several groups. I personally quite like Texas Scrambles but most people going see it as not getting to play the course fully (if you get what I mean) am so aren’t keen on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Find a 16th man
    That never occurred to me………..

We actually had 20 to start with but events have conspired to reduce numbers.

We sometimes just play normal stableford,but has you have 3 teams of 5,pick the 3 teams ,some maybe in the same group when teeing off obviously some won’t but it doesn’t matter.
    When everyone has played add up the stableford score for each 5 man group and that will give you a winning team.
    Pull out the teams before you tee off so you know what team you are in,the word always gets around on the course who is doing well ,and obviously someone will let there team down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Find a 16th man
    Yes, could one of the caddies step up?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by village View Post

That never occurred to me………..

We actually had 20 to start with but events have conspired to reduce numbers.
    Put a wtb for 1 golf player needed.