closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car or Light Goods Vehicle?

Master
    Blog Entries

Car or Light Goods Vehicle?

According to the DVLA, the vehicle on the left is a car but the one on the right is a light goods vehicle aka a van.

As such the one on the left can be driven in Bath’s Clean Air Zone without being charged but the other one is subject to the charge.

I inadvertently drove 0.11 miles in the CAZ last month & picked up a fine….& before anybody kicks off about polluting Land Rovers, I ride more miles on my pushbike than I drive in the Defender.

Last edited by trident-7; 7th April 2024 at 20:55.

Must be the date of manufacture. The left one looks like an earlier TDi, the right hand one has a Puma engine (from the bulge in the bonnet) so will be later (after the TD5 engine).

Both are lovely.

Have they both got the same powertrain ?

It’s the roof rack…..

But as a local, the CAZ is laid out specifically to look small, but leave little choice but to pass through without a significant detour.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    It’s the roof rack…..

But as a local, the CAZ is laid out specifically to look small, but leave little choice but to pass through without a significant detour.
    This is the first time I’ve entered the CAZ since it came into force 3 years ago. Now, when I want to get across town it’s a 3 mile detour.

I took this photo on The Circus the day before the CAZ started….

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sish101 View Post
    Must be the date of manufacture. The left one looks like an earlier TDi, the right hand one has a Puma engine (from the bulge in the bonnet) so will be later (after the TD5 engine).

Both are lovely.
    I think it’s something to do with a deal that Land Rover did with the DVLA which led to post 2009 Defenders being reclassified as vans. Pre-2009 they are cars.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I think it’s something to do with a deal that Land Rover did with the DVLA which led to post 2009 Defenders being reclassified as vans. Pre-2009 they are cars.
    Is that to take advantage of some sort of tax benefit? I remember being rather relieved when I discovered that Bath was a Class C rather than Class D CAZ having just driven through for the first time and spotting the signs.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Can’t you just remove the back seats, and get the V5 re classified as LGV/commercial?

Would require inspection obviously

I had a 90 from 1992 and it was LGV on the V5

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Can’t you just remove the back seats, and get the V5 re classified as LGV/commercial?

Would require inspection obviously

I had a 90 from 1992 and it was LGV on the V5
    Did it have side windows? i.e. was it a Station Wagon?

All post 2009 Defenders were classified as LGV. That’s the problem. It’s what it says on the V5 that determines whether you get charged or not. My Defender is classed as an LGV so I can’t drive in the CAZ without paying. Pre-2009 Defenders which aren’t Euro5 compliant, are classed as cars & so are exempt. My fine advises me that I’ve been charged because my vehicle does not meet the CAZ emissions standard. So how do pre-2009, & non Euro5 compliant Defenders meet it?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    Is that to take advantage of some sort of tax benefit? I remember being rather relieved when I discovered that Bath was a Class C rather than Class D CAZ having just driven through for the first time and spotting the signs.
    Maybe car excise duty? But HRMC do not countenance it as an LGV as it does not meet their definition of one.

I thought that it had something to do with it no longer meeting the regulations for new cars, but those regulations didn’t apply to vans eg. it doesn’t have air bags.

Blog Entries
    This is the first time I’ve entered the CAZ since it came into force 3 years ago. Now, when I want to get across town it’s a 3 mile detour.

I took this photo on The Circus the day before the CAZ started….

Usual climate dimwittery. Expect more of this when Miliband minor takes over.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master

All post 2009 Defenders were classified as LGV. That’s the problem. It’s what it says on the V5 that determines whether you get charged or not. My Defender is classed as an LGV so I can’t drive in the CAZ without paying. Pre-2009 Defenders which aren’t Euro5 compliant, are classed as cars & so are exempt. My fine advises me that I’ve been charged because my vehicle does not meet the CAZ emissions standard. So how do pre-2009, & non Euro5 compliant Defenders meet it?
    There were quite a few changes in 2009 to comply with EU regulations to do with licenses so I wonder if the change to LGV was in part due to something in there.

Might be as simple as we can’t comply with X so we’ll reclassify it as Y rather than spend on making it compliant.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I had this with ULEZ and TFL a 110 Defender (2000 plate)
    Because it had the bench seats in the back it was a mini bus and not a car - took the bench seats out and it became a van!
    Got them to change the rating in the end but it took over a year each time I drove it I was charged.
    It is now in the process of being sold.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 8th April 2024 at 10:19.

Master

No side windows, utility I think it was

But if yours has side windows, they can be vinyled over (temporarily) to get the re classification?

A friend of mine has a standard Ford Fiesta classed as a van (for pizza deliveries) by doing exactly this

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    No side windows, utility I think it was

But if yours has side windows, they can be vinyled over (temporarily) to get the re classification?

A friend of mine has a standard Ford Fiesta classed as a van (for pizza deliveries) by doing exactly this
    I want it the other way around DL. It's already classed as a van....I'd prefer it to be classed as a car. Cars aren't charged in the Bath CAZ, no matter what their emissions are.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    There were quite a few changes in 2009 to comply with EU regulations to do with licenses so I wonder if the change to LGV was in part due to something in there.

Might be as simple as we can’t comply with X so we’ll reclassify it as Y rather than spend on making it compliant.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    That's my understanding. It's a bit like agreeing to call your cat a dog. No matter what is agreed, what you have is still a cat.

I'm many years out of date with LRs now, but in the dim'n'distant days of yesteryonk, only those that left the factory as 'County Station Wagon' models could be classed as cars, while those with a total (IIRC...) of 9 seats would be classed as minibuses, while all the rest were vans. This classification could - perhaps - still haunt the many ground-up rebuilds out there if they're still on their original VIN?

That's my understanding. It's a bit like agreeing to call your cat a dog. No matter what is agreed, what you have is still a cat.
    Didn’t think I’d see the day where even cars have pronouns.