closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Graphics card upgrade. From Radeon hd7800

Master

Graphics card upgrade. From Radeon hd7800

have just a new monitor and the old card is probably not up to a 27" monitor.
    The motherboard is a z68xp-ud3 with an i5 2500k
    Light to medium gaming use

I was going look at secondhand for something around £100 - £150

Any suggestions thanks.
    I did ask on overclockers but the only conclusion was upgrade the cpu and motherboard but is no a lot wrong with the pc

Master
    No idea I’m afraid; never realised PCs were such picky things, I didn’t give a thought to monitor size for my laptop which got replaced with a Mac.

Is it the gaming aspect that causes the issues with 27” as it’s not massive my modern standards.

Following with interest to learn.

Craftsman
    I'd have to agree with the guys on the overclockers forum.

The platform and CPU are too old. If you get a better GPU you will just be CPU bound/bottlenecked anyway. If you get a newer platform you have the scope to upgrade graphics at a later date when you have the money.
    Last edited by chainy75; 5th April 2024 at 16:28.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    No idea I’m afraid; never realised PCs were such picky things, I didn’t give a thought to monitor size for my laptop which got replaced with a Mac.

Is it the gaming aspect that causes the issues with 27” as it’s not massive my modern standards.

Following with interest to learn.
    Size no. Resolution yes. I'd imagine the OP is gaming at 1080p with that setup

Any modern GPU will be really restricted due to the CPU I'm afraid.

Journeyman
    Have to agree with the other posters, any semi modern GPU would be bottlenecked by the CPU.

I assume you're asking this because the pc is no longer performing how you would like it to, so....

What games do you play?
    What resolution and refresh rate monitor (I assume 60fps) do you own?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alzone View Post
    Have to agree with the other posters, any semi modern GPU would be bottlenecked by the CPU.

I assume you're asking this because the pc is no longer performing how you would like it to, so....

What games do you play?
    What resolution and refresh rate monitor (I assume 60fps) do you own?
    It's is performing okay but I though a little upgrade would be help.
    I don't game enough for a full on £1200 upgrade. The pc is still great for Windows apps

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Chabsy View Post
    I did ask on overclockers but the only conclusion was upgrade the cpu and motherboard but is no a lot wrong with the pc
    You asked on a forum full of computer building experts and didn't get the answer you wanted. So are asking a load of middle aged men into watches ;)

It's probably cheaper to find a second hand gaming machine thats higher spec than your current one and sell what you have.

The i5 2500k is 13 years old. It isn’t worth putting any more money into that system.

Journeyman
    What you want to use it for is crucial information for recommending an upgrade. But if it's performing ok then don't bother with any upgrade. If it's not performing ok then what specifically are you doing that isn't performing up to the job?

You would certainly be better off buying a second hand gaming machine from 5 years ago for £500, rather than upgrading 1 component in a 2011 intel system. That's 13 years old now!

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by andyb28 View Post
    You asked on a forum full of computer building experts and didn't get the answer you wanted. So are asking a load of middle aged men into watches ;)

It's probably cheaper to find a second hand gaming machine thats higher spec than your current one and sell what you have.
    Well not really, yes there are some experts there but, I think sometimes, perfect gets in the way of good. The graphics card is 12 years old, it the last system I built, I just wanted to stick graphics card that was a few generations newer. I have no idea what was about 4 to 5 years ago which really was my question.

GTX 1660 Ti, RTX 2060?