closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rolex Watches and Wonders 2024 teaser

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    True, but if we’re looking for the point when they started pandering to a rich clientele with poor taste, that ship sailed long ago!
    Fair point.

Not sure what all the grumbling is about to be honest.

A gold Deepsea, so what? It's really no different in principle than a gold Sub. They won't sell you one anyway, so don't worry about it.

As for the general disappointment, isn't the slow changing constant catalogue of classics always the Rolex way? A new iteration of the GMT with some gold stuff on the side seems about right.

I think there is a general lack of wow in either direction. There was little announced today that will have punters running to their ADs to be the first on the list and there was nothing of note discontinued that has stirred up the Grey dealers.

A few new models that most don’t like and don’t want regardless of availability and nothing going that would cause those on the list for one to panic.

So really a neutral outcome all in all.

Master
    I like the new GMT and will get one as well as the new day date colours. I have to see the new day dates dial colours in person but very much like them on the online configurator.

Back to the older Rolex style of slow change which I think is a good thing as they are consolidating the models down but offering more variation within the lines.
    Also stops this pricing nonsense by having models not continually being chopped.

The Platinum 1908 on Brown matt strap is really very nice. Looking forward to seeing this in person.

And as a GMT Master II collector I'll want to add the new one as well.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    The Platinum 1908 on Brown matt strap is really very nice. Looking forward to seeing this in person.

And as a GMT Master II collector I'll want to add the new one as well.
    Agree on both counts, especially the 1908

Master
    An interesting take of the Rolex direction of travel following W&W: https://www.fratellowatches.com/watc...ch-with-rolex/

The opinions on Rolex moving ever further away from beloved 5 digit tool watches and towards bling won’t surprise anyone here, but it is perhaps a surprise to see them published at all. Is there a new trend for honest online watch journalism (see also the Bremont saga)?

There are counter arguments though. This year was all about precious metal and the high end, but they’ve only recently been tinkering with Explorer sizes and Oyster Perpetual dials, as well as sliming down lugs, and recalling vintage Daytonas. They were never going to recreate five digit models, so they’ve given Tudor the job. The odd gaudy model for those with more money than taste is also hardly news, that’s been going on for decades. So while a lot of the piece rings true, perhaps it’s a bit too soon to conclude that they’ve abandoned their traditional market completely.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    An interesting take of the Rolex direction of travel following W&W: https://www.fratellowatches.com/watc...ch-with-rolex/

The opinions on Rolex moving ever further away from beloved 5 digit tool watches and towards bling won’t surprise anyone here, but it is perhaps a surprise to see them published at all. Is there a new trend for honest online watch journalism (see also the Bremont saga)?

There are counter arguments though. This year was all about precious metal and the high end, but they’ve only recently been tinkering with Explorer sizes and Oyster Perpetual dials, as well as sliming down lugs, and recalling vintage Daytonas. They were never going to recreate five digit models, so they’ve given Tudor the job. The odd gaudy model for those with more money than taste is also hardly news, that’s been going on for decades. So while a lot of the piece rings true, perhaps it’s a bit too soon to conclude that they’ve abandoned their traditional market completely.
    I found the Fratello article very interesting with plenty of valid points. Coupled with the OPs words, good interesting post.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk