closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watch that gets the most comments

Journeyman

Watch that gets the most comments

Watching some old editions of Talking Watches and one guest mentions he get the most comments/compliments on a Nike watch.

Got me thinking - what’s the watch that you get the most compliments on out in the wild. From either watch-people or non-watch-people.

I find in the wild it's very very rare for anyone to give two hoots what's on my wrist. May be a sign that my taste is boring to be fair.

I had a brief stint where I was into smart watches during the early phase, those garnered by far the most comments because people were curious, but of course today smart watches are a dime a dozen.

Master
    This one

Tissot PRX (35mm, quartz, silver dial), by far

Master
    My Donald Trump G shock with MAGA strap.

Craftsman
    This one for me........

Master
    No longer owned, but this one garnered more comments than anything else I've owned, and generally from women...

Master
    My experience is similar to M1011.

The watch that has had positive comments is my Sinn 903...

Or my Casio F91W in orange. 1/300th the price of the Sinn...

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk

Master
    I can remember getting comments on a watch exactly four times.

In the early '90s, a colleague complimented me on my 16750 and asked where I'd got it, assuming it to be fake. He then showed me his replica Submariner, which he believed to contain a Seiko movement.

In the late '90s a waiter in a Chinese restaurant in Soho noticed my Breitling Grand Premier and asked if it was an IWC.

In a Pret a Manger at Canary Whart in 2000, a girl behind the counter took a great liking to my Pulsar Spoon LED, and offered me 100 croissants for it (I think she was joking).

On a flight to Tokyo, also in 2000, I noticed one of the air hostesses staring at my Aerospace while bringing me a drink. I smiled and held it up so she could have a closer look. "I thought the glass had fallen out!" she said. It did have impressive AR and from certain angles, it looked like it didn't have a crystal at all.

orange faced Seiko diver skx etc

also my pogue.

its a colour thing

In 1996, a colleague and friend remarked on my £40 Lorus V732-X001's vividly luminous Lumibrite dial as it lit up a gloomy stairwell of the Department of Palaeontology in the Natural History Museum, London.

Sadly I mislaid the watch some years later, I also foolishly left the best job I ever had, and my friend, like myself, is no longer young and fanciable... All good things must pass.

I now own watches 100x more expensive, but - quite rightly - never, ever, since has anyone commented on any of them.

Wrist computers have rendered the whole notion of a wristwatch unutterably mundane and dull.

#SIGH!#
    Last edited by earlofsodbury; 4th April 2024 at 14:27.

None - not a one!

A lad at school said 'cool watch' when I was wearing my red Linde Werdelin GMT. From memory that's the only non watch person ever to comment on one of my watches. I think by and large most people are entirely disinterested and oblivious to them.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Master
    This, from t'other side!

When I had a Root Beer male flight attendants would constantly fawn over it. That got the most attention.

Craftsman
    Had a couple of (positive) comments on a works night out from some female colleagues about my Dreadnought Voyager – I guess it is the orange hands which catch the eye...

But then the overall design got them talking about it

-- Tim

Apart from watch chums no one has ever commented on any watch I have worn over the years and I would probably deem it a bit creepy if a stranger commented TBH.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    Apart from watch chums no one has ever commented on any watch I have worn over the years and I would probably deem it a bit creepy if a stranger commented TBH.
    Likewise - and I would never comment on a strangers choice of watch - creepy as.....
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I got stopped by a beautiful girl one day who commented on my watch. She was so blown away by the watch over my rather average looks, that she took me back to her place and we made out in all conceivable positions.

You guys are obviously wearing the wrong watch.

Master
    I received one comment from a chap when he saw my Speedmaster (also now sold). He knew it was a Speedmaster though so I guess he knew watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The only comments I have ever had on a watch were on my Tudor ... "Is that a Rolex ...?" happened twice.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDSSD View Post
    This one for me........
    I can see why, that's a cracker.
    Can you tell the time at a glance? The photos make it look a potential challenge.

Last month I was stopped at Schiphol Airport Passport Control on the way out Back to London.
    The border control guy asked what my watch was as he stamped my passport. It was a Seiko Kinetic Tuna GMT.
    We then had a brief conversation about what each of us owned and what he wanted and his next purchase.
    He was a very nice chap.
    It was quiet there for a change and I think he was bored.
    That’s the first time anyone has said anything for a while though.

Edit I have told this story before
    But I had an interview for a project and at the end of it, the client conducting the interview said “is that a Tudor Sub? A quick chat ensued
    A few days later at the follow up meeting, he said nice speedy but I much prefer the Sub.
    So a watch helped me secure a contract.
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 5th April 2024 at 09:06.

Master
    These two, my Monaco and the ZRC .
    People always comment on both of these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Once in a B&M's when a guy, with not so many teeth, asked if my Omega PO was real.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Likewise - and I would never comment on a strangers choice of watch - creepy as.....
    Why? I wouldn't go out of my way to comment on a watch but if I saw something of note, in the same way as if I saw an unusual car, nice outfit etc. I'd quite happily say "nice...." and if the conversation progressed, or if the recipient said "thank you" and walked off, so be it.

I was once told that in Italy, compliments are common place and everyone appreciates them but in the UK, we almost take offence and start looking for ulterior motives when someone passes us a compliment.

So far the Smiths PRS40Q has attracted most comment (twice). From people I know, I should add.

A

None of my watches gets any attention. Or it is just me who doesn't get any attention :D

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    I was once told that in Italy, compliments are common place and everyone appreciates them but in the UK, we almost take offence and start looking for ulterior motives when someone passes us a compliment.
    (Indeed. And a two-way street in Italy - Italians think nothing of telling you when something looks terrible and the flip side of that is that they've earned the right by freely observing that something else looks great.)

I have received several compliments for this:

Only ever happened to me once, guy I was talking to for work purposes just as we were finishing up said “by the way that’s a really nice watch, what is it?”.

It was a Steinhart Ocean Vintage Military, for those that aren’t familiar just a Rolex MilSub homage. Never happened when I’ve had Tudors, Rolex, Omega or TAG on!

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Rolex Hulk.

Master
    Waiter in Barbados a month ago said "nice Pepsi."
    I said thank you. Wife found it amusing.
    I've no problem saying to someone "nice watch" the same way if someone had an interesting car I'd maybe comment.

Watch that gets the most comments

Only once, and it was this long departed Lum-Tec M9, noticed by a security guy at a Green Day concert I went to with my eldest son.

No one has ever noticed anything else

D

Last edited by helidoc; 4th April 2024 at 23:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

That'll do it.

Although might attract the wrong attention, looks a tad suspect!

Journeyman
    Interesting thread. I've received lots of attention on the moonswatch. Generally by others who have owned or own moonswatches!

Master
    I'll spare you a photo, but the only watch I really get comments on is my Garmin Epix Pro Gen 2. Mostly as all my friends are into fitness and don't care about anything that isn't a Garmin!

Master
    Nobody as I only wear decent watches under a cuff. For my eyes only…

Master
    Had a few comments from random civilians on this one - the eggshell enamel dial is really quite striking for its delicacy, but just about impossible to photograph.

Various watches sparked comments or discussion at work over the years (there was a lot of Rolex and Omega in my old company - Subs, Speedys, Seamasters mainly) - this doesn't happen since I retired as I'm not around corporate salespeople or management any more. For fun, I'm now doing a research degree and watches aren't much of a thing among university staff, at least not in the arts and humanities.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    When I had a Root Beer male flight attendants would constantly fawn over it. That got the most attention.
    Was you wearing in on your c*ck?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Was you wearing in on your c*ck?
    Did your humour stop evolving at the same time your grammar did?

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post

Don't they make a large one?

Lovely piece that.

Definitely my Synchronar

Last edited by Caruso; 5th April 2024 at 16:49.

Journeyman
    Funnily enough for me it's a cheap Timex Q re issue that tends to get the most comments from non watch related people.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Master
    IMG_8579

Not the best photo but this one by far. I guess as it is such a recognisable design.

I have had a comment on an Aerospace as the person commenting had the same watch and dial colour. Otherwise just one comment on a Rolex DJ and that is it from non watch people!

Nothing would get more comments from the general public than a 53mm gold plated Invicta.
    Comments is not a measure of anything.
    If comments come from someone whose opinion and knowledge of watches one has respect for, it is a different matter.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 5th April 2024 at 18:32.

Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    Why? I wouldn't go out of my way to comment on a watch but if I saw something of note, in the same way as if I saw an unusual car, nice outfit etc. I'd quite happily say "nice...." and if the conversation progressed, or if the recipient said "thank you" and walked off, so be it.

Agree with the above; I’m really not sure how complimenting someone’s watch followed by an open question and potentially ensuing conversation can be seen as creepy?

Just yesterday, I said nice watch to a shop sales assistant and asked if was a Longines Heritage Diver. After he replied that it was, I then asked if he was in to watches. We then chatted for a few minutes further-he noted my Daytona, we spoke about his watch being an upcoming wedding present etc…and it made for a warm and positive interaction (I believe on both sides).

The above conversation was the first time I’ve received a comment about my Daytona in a little over 12 months of ownership. Other than this, I had 1 person comment on my BLNR, 1 comment on my DJ and received 1 comment/questions on my AP Diver. So all in, in over 10 years of wearing different watches, I’ve received 4 comments.

Generally speaking, people don’t care at all-at least not where I live/in my line of work which is fine with me

If comment (as per title), not compliment, a colleague once described my Fortis B42 as a "salesman's watch".

Master
    Nope, zilch, nothing, nada, zero - not a single comment from anyone outside of my immediate family (that I can recall anyways).

Edit - I was wrong. I now remember a young lad who was on the same 3 day long course as myself and I wore (iirc) my Pepsi 16750 the first day & my 116710ln on the second.
    At the end of the second day he came up to me and asked what watch I’d be wearing on the 3rd day. He was into his watches and a 10 minute conversation was had.
    Last edited by gmt 16750; 6th April 2024 at 00:12. Reason: Memory