closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Gretsch, Strat or Chinese?

Master

Gretsch, Strat or Chinese?

My guitar playing itch is returning! I have a lovely Burns Shadow Special which has hardly seen the light of day as I bought it as a collectors piece, so that will have to go.

I always fancied a Gretsch with a Bigsby but have never even tried one! My Stratalike project is my go to thing but fancy a semi acoustic. has anyone tried the newer Chinese copies as some of them look really good and the quality (according to some reports) is now head and shoulders above the older stuff. They make stuff for most of the big companies anyway! What to do? All comments gratefully received.

My experience with Chinese Gretches are a bit hit and miss. Same with MIC Epiphones although they have a dedicated factory.

Why not play the Burns?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    My experience with Chinese Gretches are a bit hit and miss. Same with MIC Epiphones although they have a dedicated factory.

Why not play the Burns?
    You will probably laugh but it's been a cupboard/case queen and I would hate to scratch it. They are very collectable as the top of the last range that Burns did. A semi acoustic would save me the bother of setting up the amp and effects too. You get lazy as you get older! I used to restore classic bikes and cars, then spend more time polishing them than driving/riding them! It broke my heart to see one of mine at a show, with kids slurping ice cream on the bonnet!

Thanks for your thoughts. I was tempted by a Gretsch direct from China but when you add on the import duties and transport, you can get one here (and try it first) for the same dosh!

Master
    I did try an Epiphone Les Paul Standard recently. Was gobsmacked how well made it was and sounded. A third of the price of the real thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Gretsch Streamliner with P90 pickups and love it. It's got its quirks, like an odd buzz now and then that isn't fret buzz. Gretsch forums inform me this is part of the Gretsch experience. It doesn't detract from the playing enjoyment.

I have to qualify my opinion by saying the Streamliner was my first new guitar purchase for over 30 years, having only owned and played my Fender Telecaster previously, so I'm not experienced in a wide range of guitars.

Anyway, I'm playing guitar more now than I have in years because of the Gretsch, so it can't be that bad. I did have it properly set up as soon as I got it, which may have helped. The P90s sound wonderful though - just loads of warmth, but can get nice and gritty with some gain.

I think for the price, it's a relative bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I did try an Epiphone Les Paul Standard recently. Was gobsmacked how well made it was and sounded. A third of the price of the real thing
    My Grandson has an "inspired by Gibson" LP Standard and it is very good. It does feel rather as it has been dipped in plastic rather than the nitro of a real thing and the hardware, plastics etc is rather Chinese but great VFM.

Here they are together.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    My Grandson has an "inspired by Gibson" LP Standard and it is very good. It does feel rather as it has been dipped in plastic rather than the nitro of a real thing and the hardware, plastics etc is rather Chinese but great VFM.

Here they are together.

This is what I tried. ‘59 Les Paul Standard. Spec and playability was amazing for the money. Unfortunately SWMBO reiterated 1 in, 1 out. So I passed.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/e...ged-dark-burst

I agree that the finish is not quite authentic nitro though. My only LP is a Special Tribute with P90’s - love it

Master
    Thanks for the replies thus far. great info. It seems that the Chinese are getting better and better at copying things and that the quality control is also improving. They still make a lot of tat for nowt money (in general terms - not guitars!) but once you go into three figures and above, everything seems to sharpen up a bit. I get the impression that a bit of "modding" and "upgrading" will go a long way as they are now making a lot of gear for the major (branded) manufacturers.

Master
    I play a strat, can’t beat the sound for me.

Mines a 1997 Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Drago View Post
    I play a strat, can’t beat the sound for me.

Mines a 1997 Japan.

Very nice. I agree, can't beat a Fender Strat IMO.

This is my latest. I'm still in the honeymoon period.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I also have a strat clone which I have modified and adapted with better tuners, bridge, roller trees, trem etc. and that is fine for practise. I've been guided towards the Harley Benton BigTone, something that I wouldn't have entertained at all at one time but the reports of that particular model is that it is as good as a Chinese Gretsch anyway, so why pay treble the price for the name!

Master
    I’ve been having a look at some Yamaha Revstars of late… not sure yet (mainly because I definitely don’t NEED another guitar!)