closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where to buy Pre-owned Watches + Ramblings

Master

Where to buy Pre-owned Watches + Ramblings

Some random ramblings and I'm looking for advice on the best places to buy pre-owned watches.

I’ve owned quite a few watches over the years, mostly pretty cheap ones and I’ve never bought anything expensive ie costing in the £000s. Apart from the expense (this is serious money for me), the reason I’ve stayed away from expensive watches is that I don’t baby my watches and like to wear them whatever I’m doing – I have been concerned that if I had something pricey on my wrist I might start getting paranoid about it, and become one of those owners who are terrified of their watches getting wet, bashed or scratched!

However, I have been having some thoughts on this along the lines of Time is Passing / Not getting any Younger / Can’t Take Your Money with You, and I’m coming to the conclusion that maybe its time to say ‘What the Hell?’ and splash out on something and if I want to wear a watch worth several £000 whilst working on the car I’ll damn well do so!

I’m thinking of around £3k, pre-owned I presume, Quartz is fine, I love Chronos and I’m a big sucker for Reverse Panda dials. I’m thinking along the lines of Breitling Colt Chrono , Omega SMP Chrono or maybe Planet Ocean. Where are the best places to look for pre-owned watches like this? Obviously I will scanning Sales Corner of course, otherwise Watchfinder seems a good starting point, and Chrono24 is a possibility (though my previous experience of them wasn’t great). Where else is worth a look and who to avoid? I’m going to avoid ebay as I don’t have enough expertise to know what’s real and what’s fake – there’s only one thing stupider than forking out a large amount of money on a watch and that’s forking out a large amount of money on a fake!

Advice gratefully received.

Master
    I'd ring Dom Hackett at Hackett Watches.

Sent from my SM-A145R using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Also, Watches of Whitby. They have a nice 2023 Omega PO Chrono advertised.

Happy shopping.

Watches of Whitby are a good shout, excellent service from them. And a lovely shop to browse if you’re in that neck of the woods.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmbob View Post
    Watches of Whitby are a good shout, excellent service from them. And a lovely shop to browse if you’re in that neck of the woods.
    .....which he will be!

Oh yeah, just noticed that! In that case get down to WoW at the earliest opportunity.

Master
    Subdial are good to deal with. Also eBay now has an authenticity guarantee program so provided you buy watches with that ticked I imagine you should be ok

Master
    Oh yeah, just noticed that! In that case get down to WoW at the earliest opportunity.
    Yes - good suggestion. Whitby not a million miles away!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Hehe...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGrumpy View Post
    Yes - good suggestion. Whitby not a million miles away!
    Pretty good Fish & Chips as well! Choose the one with the biggest queue ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Pretty good Fish & Chips as well! Choose the one with the biggest queue ;-)

- - - Updated - - -
    Fish & Chips? I may be looking at £3k watches (WoW have an interesting Breitling Chronoliner for sale) but I'm not sure I can afford Fish & Chips the price they are these days!

Craftsman
    I remember working at a school near Robin Hood's Bay many years ago, early 80's, on visiting Whitby I had the best hot pork pie I'd ever tasted and it remains the best pork pie I have ever tasted. Don't think I was into watches then. Apologies for off topic message

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EBB21 View Post
    I remember working at a school near Robin Hood's Bay many years ago, early 80's, on visiting Whitby I had the best hot pork pie I'd ever tasted and it remains the best pork pie I have ever tasted. Don't think I was into watches then. Apologies for off topic message
    I’m not a massive pork pie fan but I always try & partake of one from Petch’s in Great Ayton when I’m up there

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hocuspocus View Post
    I'd ring Dom Hackett at Hackett Watches.

Seconded. You'll get great advice and honesty re pricing.