closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your first bike

Your first bike

Inspired by the Raleigh sales post I wondered how many people remember their first bike. I had a Carlton Corsa in my early teens in the seventies and rode it everywhere, regularly 50 odd miles on a weekend. No gear, no helmet, just toe clips and a water bottle full of orange squash. You could strip it down with one of those dumbbell spanners from Halfords and a double ended screwdriver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Funnily enough I had the same bike…..it was so good that I’ve got two now.

Your original post could have been written by me.

Living on the edge of the North York Moors there was no shortage of steep hills to get up. It weighs a ton by modern standards, 5 speed, no toe straps, no proper cycling shoes only green flash tennis shoes. I never got off & pushed although I would zig zag on the 1 in 4’s.

When I think back I realise that I must have been quite good. As a Masters cyclist I’ve since won 13 National titles & was 2nd in the World Championship Road Race last year but I doubt I could get up Rosedale Chimney on the Carlton Corsa now.

I’ve still got my dumbell spanner as well!

Compared with my current Road Bike

Your first bike

That’s amazing!
    I often wonder about searching one out but how safe would a fifty year old frame be?
    eta And Buttermere too

Last edited by Linocut; 29th March 2024 at 10:37.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A 5 gear Raleigh Olympus 1972 which was bought against parents best thoughts given we lived in centre of Edinburgh at the time.

They were right. I crashed and snapped my collar bone when feet slipped off pedal and straight into front wheel. Bike stopped dead! I didn’t. Right over bars. Crash bang wallop! 🤬

Anyways, bike went back to Halfords for repair and was never used again but came with me through marriage and house moves.

Son then started to work for Edinburgh Bicycle Coop during Uni and mentioned it in the office. It then went to a nice young lad in there about 12 years ago who tarted it up.

Never heard of it since.

It was the red blue colour with yellow edge tyres and bluemels mudguards.

Jim

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Linocut View Post
    That’s amazing!
    I often wonder about searching one out but how safe would a fifty year old frame be?
    eta And Buttermere too

Very safe I’d think. That’s why it weighs a ton! I’m on my 4th Carbon Fibre Canyon frame after cracking the previous 3 but the Carlton is bombproof.

I got one of those bikes off eBay for about £100;-)

The Raleigh Burner
    Not really my first first bike but my first real bike. Also, I still have it. My other first bike got stolen shortly after it arrived... so yeah. Good times man!

---
    BUBI
    @porque.racing

As kids in the 50s and early 60s we went every where on our bikes (no idea of makes), smartie tops in the spokes for a bit of colour, a peg flapping against the wheel for sound and Cow Horns were a must, I even had a ex police bike which was a big chunky thing but the first "Racer" was a Lincoln Imp.

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post

Living on the edge of the North York Moors there was no shortage of steep hills to get up. It weighs a ton by modern standards, 5 speed, no toe straps, no proper cycling shoes only green flash tennis shoes. I never got off & pushed although I would zig zag on the 1 in 4’s.

When I think back I realise that I must have been quite good. As a Masters cyclist I’ve since won 13 National titles & was 2nd in the World Championship Road Race last year but I doubt I could get up Rosedale Chimney on the Carlton Corsa now.

Great photo - is that Buttermere ? Might get up early on Sunday and have a walk there

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

One of the properties I lived in as a youngster was quite near the entrance to the Town dump - a redundant quarry that was being land-filled.
    The dustbinmen had an unofficial accord that any refuse that was vaguely bike-shaped would be left in a pile just inside the entrance; this was so that the youth of the area could glean the makings of some cheap transport, which we salvaged with great enthusiasm.

Thus the youth of Liskeard would roam the streets on creations of a most unsightly nature - back-pedal brakes, caliper brakes, odd size wheels, you get the gist. Like a swarm of eco-friendly Mad Maxes.

A rich uncle (taking advantage of the free Cornish holidays afforded by my family) took one look at my latest creation and declared "no nephew of mine is going to be seen on such a heap", promptly disappeared into Plymouth and returned with a secondhand but pristine Claude Butler road racer complete with 10-speed deRailleur gears, lightweight alloy frame, and sunburst copper lacquer finish.

Talk about the bee's knees! I just had to parade my new Rolls Royce of bikes around town and show off my stratospheric increase in average speed.

Until on about my third day of ownership I hit a pothole on Station Road, stuck my foot through the front wheel spokes, and found myself in Derriford Hospital and thence to the Burns Unit at Frenchay in Bristol for facial surgery. On iirc the second day of the school Summer Holiday.
    When I eventually retrieved my Claude Butler from the front garden of the house outside which the accident happened (the occupant kindly tried to render first aid prior to the ambulance arriving, and then kept the remains of the bike in her garden) I found that everything on it was so distorted and/or broken that there was no crossover of components onto my next bike - yes, a Mad Max frankenstein creation courtesy of the local dump.
    Last edited by unclealec; 29th March 2024 at 20:37.

Master
    Inspired by the Raleigh sales post I wondered how many people remember their first bike. I had a Carlton Corsa in my early teens in the seventies and rode it everywhere, regularly 50 odd miles on a weekend. No gear, no helmet, just toe clips and a water bottle full of orange squash. You could strip it down with one of those dumbbell spanners from Halfords and a double ended screwdriver.

I had exactly the same model in the same colour. It wasn’t my first bike but it was the first one I bought with my own money. Saved for ages using pocket, birthday and christmas money. It was £46 from Halfords in 1974 or 75.

My firs bike was a 1950's Saxon with split down-tube to make the wheelbase shorter. The design also had other benefits....

https://www.classiclightweights.co.u...xon-twin-tube/

Gave it to a cousin when I started work but wish I still had it, they go for a lot of money these days.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    In this cine film footage, captured about 53 years ago, I'm riding my older brother's fixie. The young man in the orange jumper who appears 28 seconds in is my younger brother and he's riding my own first bike, which I think had been handed down to him at this stage. I can't remember what it was exactly. A couple of years after this I got a metallic green Raleigh bike with Sturmey Archer gears. The fixie was too big for me, as you can see.

I didn't have my first proper road bike until 1989, a Raleigh Routier. I had some outstanding long rides on that bike around Durham and North Yorkshire then later in Leicestershire and Derbyshire when I moved to the East Midlands.

I envy the young lad riding the oversized bike in this video, with all those decades of cycling left in his legs. Still - I've got a few years left. I'll clock up a few 100 milers over the summer, no doubt.

My first bike that was my own and not a hand me down was a blue MK1 Chopper and I fell off it the first day and it scraped down the kerb, my dad banned me for a week, but as a serious cyclist, my first real competition bike was a SBDU Panasonic Raleigh 531 and I wish I kept that one, however it didn't ride as fast as the Ti I have for sale, something is just special about it, its silly quick for a 43 year old bike.

A Raleigh Tomahawk (second hand) followed by my brother’s hand-me-down Chopper. No wonder I’ve never really been a fan of cycling :lol:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Great photo - is that Buttermere ? Might get up early on Sunday and have a walk there

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yep….with Haystacks in the background 👍

Those Carlton's are gorgeous, are they Sachs Huret geared, ultra reliable and bomb proof.

My first bike the Raleigh Budgie, learnt to ride on this without stabilisers, then learned about the over application of a front brake (went over the bars twice) there was a home built by my dad tracker style bike (no pics) followed by a secondhand to me fizzy yellow Mk2 chopper.
    A few jobs doing paper rounds, washing cars etc meant saving up for my next bike , a new Raleigh sprint racer, I really wanted a BMX but my dad said they were for little kids. Last pic is the Pk Ripper that lives in my lounge, we always get as adults what we couldn’t have as kids

Master
    My first proper road bike (though I had a Grifter and a Burner before it) was a Peugeot, the model escapes me. I spent all my spare cash on it. I still remember the joy when I purchased and fitted SIS gear down tube-mounted levers.

I also remember, less fondly, my parents throwing it away when I went to university as apparently it took up too much room in the garage.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse64 View Post
    Those Carlton's are gorgeous, are they Sachs Huret geared, ultra reliable and bomb proof.
    Yes, Huret Svelto

Last edited by trident-7; 29th March 2024 at 20:30.

Yes, Huret Svelto

Cant see the image, but Huret were the one that all manufactures went for in the 70s, in the 70 I wanted a Huret setup as that was the best, campag was too European for us Englishmen, at that time

This is what we see...................

Last edited by Dangermouse64; 29th March 2024 at 20:14.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Cant see the image, but Huret were the one that all manufactures went for in the 70s, in the 70 I wanted a Huret setup as that was the best, campag was too European for us Englishmen, at that time

This is what we see...................

How's that?

How's that?
    I cant, it comes up 404 error

Master
    Blog Entries
    I cant, it comes up 404 error
    I can see my own post on mine....headscratch!...that's what comes with riding tanks up impossible hills in the '70's!

Your first bike

I can see it on my iPhone

My first was a Raleigh Budgie too! First proper bike was a Raleigh extra burner. First proper mountain bike (of many) was a Raleigh Mustang. Love that my oldest is now into cycling as well.

Master
    I’m told I had a Raleigh Budgie as well, but don’t remember it, but the first one I do remember is a Raleigh Tuff Burner.

I’m sure there were others of one sort or another, but the Xmas morning of 1983 was memorable for this being under the tree!

My first bike that was new to me and not an embarrassing hand me down from one of my older sisters. A Raleigh Jeep. I wanted a Chopper but wasn't allowed one due to safety concerns. Found this photo online, exqctly the same as i had. I'd forgotten how utterly boring the Jeep was.

My first bike was a full-size Monarch I rode from the early '50s...

Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    I can see it on my iPhone
    Possibly Apple v Windows

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    My first bike was a full-size Monarch I rode from the early '50s...

How does it stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I’m told I had a Raleigh Budgie as well, but don’t remember it, but the first one I do remember is a Raleigh Tuff Burner.

I’m sure there were others of one sort or another, but the Xmas morning of 1983 was memorable for this being under the tree!

Your folks had some cash to get you one of those back in the day! Lush!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 30th March 2024 at 10:35.

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69 View Post
    My first bike the Raleigh Budgie, learnt to ride on this without stabilisers, then learned about the over application of a front brake (went over the bars twice) ]

Mirror of me that. Budgie to a grifter xl (the world's heaviest bike) to a ten speed Peugeot racer

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master

Your first bike

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    Mirror of me that. Budgie to a grifter xl (the world's heaviest bike) to a ten speed Peugeot racer

Just googled it, as had a grifter XL also. 35kg apparently, what on earth were they thinking, or that fact is incorrect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master

Great pic and my local dog walk. Love biking to Buttermere for a pint but always way to busy now a days.

First half decent bike was my Raleigh Burner with mag wheels then onto a purple Raleigh Mustang MTB. Now it's these 2:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Just googled it, as had a grifter XL also. 35kg apparently, what on earth were they thinking, or that fact is incorrect.

...if it IS correct then it weighs 5 times as much as my current Road Bike. No way it could weigh that much.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NigeG View Post
    I had exactly the same model in the same colour. It wasn’t my first bike but it was the first one I bought with my own money. Saved for ages using pocket, birthday and christmas money. It was £46 from Halfords in 1974 or 75.

I think they were all that colour. The next model down, which my mate had, was called the Carlton Continental & that was purple. It only had side pull brakes, whereas the Corsa had centre pull Weinmann. That was cooler in those days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

They were very heavy, but not 35kg! I'd say 20kg probably

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post

Same, I was just looking for that image. I probably had something as a toddler but the Blue/Yellow Burner is the first one I remember, and one my parents have a photo of. Probably around 1986.

Master
    Blog Entries
    How does it stop?
    I seem to recall such bikes were stopped by pedalling backwards. Seriously.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post

Jim
    Correct, called a pedal back brake funnily enough 😁, work great until your cruising and idly pedal back , coming to an unexpected stop.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post

Jim
    I wouldn't like to do an emergency stop on one...it's bad enough when you're on rim brakes & half of the peleton are on discs ;-)

My 1st proper bike was a 5 speed Vindec which I think I had for Christmas in 1973.

My dad killed its street cred by fitting full length mudguards and a dynamo. Still loved it all the same.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Master
    Viking Hosteller

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/download...d713&mode=view

15 miles every day to school and about 100 miles at the weekend.

Loved it

B

P.S. love the pair of Carltons BTW

Quote Originally Posted by thorpey69 View Post
    Correct, called a pedal back brake funnily enough , work great until your cruising and idly pedal back , coming to an unexpected stop.
    Yes, I don't know how it worked, but it was loads of fun: get the bike up to top speed, then jam the pedal down the opposite direction and see who could lay the longest skid mark, straight or sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    They were very heavy, but not 35kg! I'd say 20kg probably

No idea what it actually weighed but I always assumed it was made from scaffold poles and lead.

Pretty.

Mine was a Gresham Flyer. With stabilisers.

This picture is from the Interwebs, but I think it looked like this...

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Red Triang 3-wheeler.

Surprised most here went straight to a road bike sans stabilisers!

No mention yet of the Raleigh striker, had one, while my friends had grifters and choppers

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewitt13 View Post
    No mention yet of the Raleigh striker, had one, while my friends had grifters and choppers

I remember those, was is suspension or just rubber coated fork?

Solid metal underneath loosely fitted useless plastic, but to a 9 year old me, I thought I could jump like the pros