closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Another (slightly different) scam

Another (slightly different) scam

Saw this on MoneySavingExpert forum, and as it relates to the sale of an expensive (£6k) watch on a "collectors page", I thought that it might be of interest. (Sorry about the formatting, but this is how the original poster posted it)
    My husband had an expensive watch for sale on marketplace. We had the usual scam messages which we ignored, then a message from a male who seemed genuine and he arranged to come to our home this morning. We are quite remote so said we would meet him at the local petrol station snd he could follow us back. He called to say there was nowhere to park at the petrol station and was waiting in the nearby pub car park. He brought his brother along, they followed us home, they were Irish and were visiting family about 30 minutes from us, but they lived about 5 hours away. I had a bad feeling about the whole thing, especially when they started asking about our home and who lives with us. They were happy with the watch and ‘paid’ via bank transfer. After 20 minutes the money hadn’t reached our account and things were getting a little tense because we wouldn’t let them take the watch. So tense that I discreetly text my husband to ask if I should call our son & uncle to come over, when my husband replied saying yes, I was worried sick. So. Uncle came over with his wife and we waited for the funds transfer to go through, all the while contacting our banks. After an hour or so, things were going downhill, the 2 guys were getting agitated, one of them told my aunt to be quiet and keep out of it when we were trying to reason with them. The strange thing that struck us was every time he called his bank he got through to the same woman and she was not in the least bit helpful, saying the money had left his account and the couldn’t do anything for 24hrs and that it was down to our bank to chase the money, we obviously knew that was wrong, our bank even spoke to the 2 guys and explained it wasn’t in their system so they couldn’t chase it. We went around in circles for 3 hours with them sat in our home saying we either had to give them the money back or the watch and they weren’t leaving without one or the other they became threatening and aggressive. At some points they were talking to each other in Irish dialect. We mentioned the police but my husband said they probably wouldn’t be interested (he was trying to keep things calm) until eventually, an hour later, one of the guys said himself that he was going to ring the police and I told him to do it - that was when they accepted my husbands offer of sending the watch via courier to them once funds cleared, as they lived so far away. That was over 5 hours ago and we still haven’t had any money come through, but strangely, no further communication from these guys. We’ve logged it with the police, they have said it was likely a scam, probably didn’t want to park in the petrol station because of cctv etc. I’m worried sick because they obviously know where we live and I’m scared they will be back. Police told us to keep our eyes open, especially as we are so rural, which only makes me more concerned. My husband thinks its all way to elaborate to be a scam. Has anyone else heard of anything like this?
    The full thread is here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com...hinking#latest

Why would you invite total strangers to your home in the middle of nowhere to purchase your luxury watch?

There's naive and then there's thick as horse shit.

Master

Blog Entries
    Did they mention dags?
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Did they mention dags?
    certainly sounds like it was travellers

An expensive watch for sale on marketplace? Facebook marketplace?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    Snigger
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Grand Master
    A known BT scam.....Seems not by some people unfortunately.

They show funds transferred on their fake app(Hoping your fine at this point),if your not theyve already forwarded the details(screen shot) with the details ie your name etc to an accomplice.
    You query why its not gone into your bank,they ring their bank(Their accomplice)call goes thru in secs!!,they read back all the details to make it all sound perfectly fine(some fall for it at this point) hand over whatever it is.

Youve been SCAMMED.
    Last edited by P9CLY; 25th March 2024 at 21:23.

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    What, precisely, leads you to that conclusion?

Where was Facebook mentioned? Or marketplace?

Where was Facebook mentioned? Or marketplace?
    In the first sentence: "My husband had an expensive watch for sale on marketplace".

In the first sentence: "My husband had an expensive watch for sale on marketplace".
    Thanks. When the poster mentioned a "collector's page" I had assumed that it was on a forum like this.

Does Facebook marketplace have "collector's pages"? (I don't have much to do with Facebook.)

What, precisely, leads you to that conclusion?
    It's almost a parody given the number of red flags squeezed into one story. Now it's possible that it's true but it just feels like a lie posted to get attention on the internet. It could almost be a plot for an episode of Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen.

What makes you think it's true?

Quote Originally Posted by kace View Post
    It's almost a parody given the number of red flags squeezed into one story. Now it's possible that it's true but it just feels like a lie posted to get attention on the internet. It could almost be a plot for an episode of Guy Ritchie's The Gentlemen.

What makes you think it's true?
    More like Snatch surely?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Blog Entries
    Talking of scams had the Evri text message classic again today.

"EVRI mail package in the process of transportation, due to damage to the outer package, address information is lost, can not be delivered. Please be sure to update the delivery address information in the link within 12 hours."

I just feel sorry for the poor people who fall for it, no doubt mostly old or unfortunate people who can ill afford to lose their money.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Talking of scams had the Evri text message classic again today.

"EVRI mail package in the process of transportation, due to damage to the outer package, address information is lost, can not be delivered. Please be sure to update the delivery address information in the link within 12 hours."

I just feel sorry for the poor people who fall for it, no doubt mostly old or unfortunate people who can ill afford to lose their money.
    I used to get scam texts supposedly from the Royal Mail saying you had to pay extra postage but the other day we got similar crap posted through the door the mrs thought I had bought something on line till I told her it was a scam wasn’t even good it was just a crap photo copy

Master
    Every so often I look at my spam folder when an expected email hasn't arrived. I then discover the fraudulent email mountain that has been sent since I last looked.

Just received the daftest of scams. I got an email this morning, dated today, telling me that my email account was suspended yesterday and that I will no longer be able to send or receive emails - click on this link to restore.

I had to check my calendar that it wasn't April 1st.
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    I get a daily call from Manchester trying to scam me, I’m amazed they haven’t blocked me with the time I waste of theirs whilst I have a coffee break.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    On the scam subject, idly scrolling through Facebook and I noticed a car for sale at around 20% of its trade value. Curiosity drove me to click the "is this still available" option, and got an almost immediate reply with an email address to contact for more information.
    So what is the scam here? How does the scammer profit? Or am I being a bit dim?

Sent from my Nokia 1.4 using Tapatalk

It's just the precursor to a lot of correspondence as to how to pay, deposit in escrow and other such crap.

Plenty of info on this forum - I remember.

Even if you tell the 'seller' that you are in the same town................. there will be a story.

Try it - you can drop out of the charade at any point.

Master
    Even if the tale isn’t ‘truth’ it’s still a decent warning regarding how scammers will use discomfort and threat to bully money out of you.
    Payment for expensive items is always tricky and there is no 100% safe method for both parties.
    Anything I can think of would be long winded and expensive and immediately falls apart if both parties are not in the same place.
    The only sane thing to do is never sell your watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I get a daily call from Manchester trying to scam me, I’m amazed they haven’t blocked me with the time I waste of theirs whilst I have a coffee break.

Apologies; I will remove you from my call list.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    And no call today, or do you not work weekends?