closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Can you buy a Grand Seiko, new, without its bracelet?

Master

Can you buy a Grand Seiko, new, without its bracelet?

Is it possible to buy a new GS - that comes from the factory on a bracelet - without it, please?

Only one of my watches is on a bracelet - surprise, surprise, a Rolex - because I much prefer straps and it seems silly to buy a GS on a bracelet that I won't like, no matter how well it's made.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Is it possible to buy a new GS - that comes from the factory on a bracelet - without it, please?

Only one of my watches is on a bracelet - surprise, surprise, a Rolex - because I much prefer straps and it seems silly to buy a GS on a bracelet that I won't like, no matter how well it's made.
    Most likely No, you buy it with a strap and then sell the bracelet (or keep it in case you want to resell)

Sent from my SM-S921B using Tapatalk

No, that is real day dreaming

Why not choose a GS that comes on a strap?

What makes you prefer a strap over a bracelet? I used to be the same but am a slow convert to bracelets.

You could probably do a deal with a retailer, but the saving would be minimal.

I bought a GS exclusively to wear on a NATO, but then one day I thought I ought to try the bracelet and that is what it’s been on ever since. They get criticised for lack of micro-adjustment, but it is very comfortable and I appreciate the discrete clasp.

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I have actually asked if you could buy a white omiwatari without the bracelet, for less obviously. The answer was no, though they were willing to throw in a leather strap, and suggested the bracelets were in demand for owners of the blue one, that comes on leather. So you might be in luck if you want either of those, otherwise not. One of the best dials out there though, especially the white, so not a bad solution.

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    You could probably do a deal with a retailer, but the saving would be minimal.

I bought a GS exclusively to wear on a NATO, but then one day I thought I ought to try the bracelet and that is what it’s been on ever since. They get criticised for lack of micro-adjustment, but it is very comfortable and I appreciate the discrete clasp.

D

i always read the issue with gs bracelets is that they're quite tinny and cheap feeling? otherwise i would buy the exact GS you have, really like that design

Quote Originally Posted by robinsongreen68 View Post
    i always read the issue with gs bracelets is that they're quite tinny and cheap feeling? otherwise i would buy the exact GS you have, really like that design
    No, definitely not. I would try one in person on one of the current generation watches.

They don’t have micro-adjust, and are criticised by most for it. I found the bracelet a doddle to size, and I appreciate a small and discrete clasp. My wrist doesn’t swell though, so micro-adjust has little attraction for me.

The bracelet is good quality and feels great.

D

If the bracelet would fit a SGBX095 we could possibly arrive at a compromise
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

definitely not. The bracelet on the 'White Birch' is amongst the best quality I've ever tried on a watch.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by theancientmariner View Post
    definitely not. The bracelet on the 'White Birch' is amongst the best quality I've ever tried on a watch.
    That’s a new generation bracelet with a taper and a flatter clasp, so one of the best. But none of them are ‘tinny’, they’re just designed to be comfortable instead of heavy. Contrary to popular opinion, a really heavy solid link bracelet doesn’t improve the quality or wearability, and micro-adjustment wouldn’t improve the looks. They aren’t the easiest to resize but once you understand the system (a pair of 2/3 length links for fine adjustment by 1/3 link) and dial them in, they feel great. Perhaps the Speedmaster style ones with a bit of polishing next to the centre links look a bit more interesting, as compared to the standard oyster style ones. But if you like the watch, I certainly wouldn’t be put off that GMT because of the bracelet.

interesting, thanks! i know that orange hand gmt is no longer available so might take a chance on a used one.