closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Jasmin Paris - greatest sporting performance of the year?

Master

Jasmin Paris - greatest sporting performance of the year?

Late last night, Jasmin became the first woman in history to complete the Barkley Marathons - an infamous and notoriously quirky ultra running race held in Frozen Head State Park, Tennessee. This is a race that is so tough, that prior to this year only 17 people in history have completed it since its inception in its current format in 1989 - sometimes several years going by at a time with no finishers.

I’ve had the pleasure of taking part in races with Jasmin in the past (I wouldn’t say racing against - she’s in a league of her own) and I’m so very chuffed for her as she’s such an outstanding ambassador for both fell running and women in sport.

It’s already made mainstream media, but this UKC article does a good job of briefly summing the event up for newcomers:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2024...arathons-73632
    Last edited by gcleminson; 23rd March 2024 at 08:49.

I was watching for the result yesterday, a damned impressive achievement.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    What an achievement. Fascinating (and brutal) event too, some of the requirements are “interesting” shall we say!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    What an achievement. Fascinating (and brutal) event too, some of the requirements are “interesting” shall we say!!!
    If you find yourself with a spare hour and a half there’s a documentary made a few years back called ‘The race that eats its young’ that’s well worth a watch. On Netflix I believe? Lots of quirks to the race, even down to the entry process which is a closely guarded secret, and every year ‘Laz’ will allow one entrant to take part who he thinks has absolutely no chance who’s known as the Sacrifice. Sounds gimmicky, and it is, but there’s no doubting it’s a race that’s on the very bounds of what’s humanly achievable within the time allowed.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 23rd March 2024 at 09:10.

Brilliant effort.
    I can’t imagine how tough it must be

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    If you find yourself with a spare hour and a half there’s a documentary made a few years back called ‘The race that eats its young’ that’s well worth a watch. On Netflix I believe? Lots of quirks to the race, even down to the entry process which is a closely guarded secret, and every year ‘Laz’ will allow one entrant to take part who he thinks has absolutely no chance who’s known as the Sacrifice. Sounds gimmicky, and it is, but there’s no doubting it’s a race that’s on the very bounds of what’s humanly achievable within the time allowed.
    Thank you will look this up!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lenlec View Post
    Brilliant effort.
    I can’t imagine how tough it must be
    She completed in a time of 59:58:21 - just 99 seconds within the 60 hour time limit.

This is a continuous, self-navigated race, through dense mountainous forestry; so the pressure to hold it together through the sleep deprivation and fatigue must have been intense, as she’ll have been well aware how close to the wire she was during that entire final loop.

She completed in a time of 59:58:21 - just 99 seconds within the 60 hour time limit.

This is a continuous, self-navigated race, through dense mountainous forestry; so the pressure to hold it together through the sleep deprivation and fatigue must have been intense, as she’ll have been well aware how close to the wire she was during that entire final loop.
    Amazing stuff
    I used to do a lot of running. Nothing compared to this. Take my hat off to her

Master
    Would I be wrong in thinking that this was an exceptionally well executed plan? To me that doesn't seem the sort of race to go out all guns blazing. If the aim is to to complete it then making full use of the time allowed seems like a good idea. Go too fast and you risk not finishing, too slow and you miss out.

Master
    Yes to a degree, but having taken part in races and events with time limits to a high-ish level myself, I can tell you that no competitor would choose to leave it so close as this. Would only have been in the last mile or two she may have had a growing sense that the completion was on, as good as she is at judging her pace and the speed she’s covering the ground.

One of the landmarks on the course is ‘The Tower’. Average time from there back to the finish - and remember these are Elite athletes - is 4 hours. On her final loop, Jasmin passed through the tower with 3hrs 50mins remaining, so be under no illusions - she would have been pushing like hell that whole final section with zero chance or thoughts of easing off.

A previous competitor who, incidentally, was there as support for the winner this year, famously missed out on completion by just 6 seconds a few years back. Can you imagine how that must feel… :(

Quote Originally Posted by Wimm View Post
    Would I be wrong in thinking that this was an exceptionally well executed plan? To me that doesn't seem the sort of race to go out all guns blazing. If the aim is to to complete it then making full use of the time allowed seems like a good idea. Go too fast and you risk not finishing, too slow and you miss out.
    Last edited by gcleminson; 23rd March 2024 at 11:15.

A great achievement for sure, to be the first to achieve something is always a special accolade.
    Talking of special achievements, has anyone been following Russ Cook @hardestgeezer on TwitterX? He is attempting to run the length of Africa, from the southern most point to the most northern. He must only have about 15/20 days to go to complete a most astonishing feat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    These ultra-runners are hugely impressive, albeit I can't begin to fathom the mindset/motivation for wanting to do what they are doing. The cost in later life for wear and tear on joints etc must surely be horrendous ... ?

Just read the article, incredible. I assumed she’d be American as it’s a US race, she’s Jockanese! I’m so proud.

I’d watched the race that eats its young documentary, and my wife spotted her trending on X yesterday. We then had a rewatch so my wife could get up to speed and were both frantically following her progress online last night. It’s an incredible achievement and pushes the boundaries of female sport without a doubt.

As an ex Edinburgh resident and runner myself, clearly the Baltic winds and hilly topography have prepared her well…

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    These ultra-runners are hugely impressive, albeit I can't begin to fathom the mindset/motivation for wanting to do what they are doing. The cost in later life for wear and tear on joints etc must surely be horrendous ... ?
    I think the general consensus is that road running, by its highly repetitive nature, may be worse in that regard. Trail & Mountain running requires a range of movements working different muscles, varying pace, etc, (even the Elites power-walk the steeper uphills - especially over these kinds of distances) so may be less damaging long-term.

2015-2023: five finishers
    2024: five finishers

Strong field? Slightly less insane course? Helpful weather?

Journeyman
    That is impressive. My best mate is the race director for what he calls "THE HARD STUFF" in the UK www.cockbainevents.com.
    I keep thinking I'll have a go at one of his events one day, but to do so I need to complete a minimum of a 100 mile ultra first....

Quote Originally Posted by MattMM View Post

As an ex Edinburgh resident and runner myself, clearly the Baltic winds and hilly topography have prepared her well…
    Like popping out to the shops for her surely?

Master
    Conditions were definitely a factor. It was bitterly, freezing cold with driving rain through the first night either last year or the year before (can’t recall which off the top of my head) that made progress slower for everyone as well as contributing to a few early drop-outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    2015-2023: five finishers
    2024: five finishers

Strong field? Slightly less insane course? Helpful weather?

Ah, I’m familiar with their events - think I follow them on FB. A 100 mile ultra in an underground tunnel rings a bell..?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxmod View Post
    That is impressive. My best mate is the race director for what he calls "THE HARD STUFF" in the UK www.cockbainevents.com.
    I keep thinking I'll have a go at one of his events one day, but to do so I need to complete a minimum of a 100 mile ultra first....

Master
    Blog Entries
    Seriously impressive.

Master
    Love the starting signal, when the organiser lights up a fag……..priceless

Master
    She's done well to be sufficiently mentally alert to comprehend the timing involved as I recall many competitors suffer a degree of confusion from exhaustion/fatigue. A physical challenge beyond anything I can relate to!

Journeyman
    Conditions were definitely a factor. It was bitterly, freezing cold with driving rain through the first night either last year or the year before (can’t recall which off the top of my head) that made progress slower for everyone as well as contributing to a few early drop-outs.

Ah, I’m familiar with their events - think I follow them on FB. A 100 mile ultra in an underground tunnel rings a bell..?
    The Tunnel - 1 mile long, and it a 200 miles race, so there and back 100 times his events are hard due to very tight cut off times

I had never heard of this until this thread, after doing some reading this is just a great achievement!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Amazing achievement but a bit early in the year to call it 'the greatest' to be fair

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 26th March 2024 at 00:07.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Amazing achievement but a bit early in the year to call it 'the greatest' to be fair

There's a question mark at the end of the statement.

In my opinion, though, I just don't see what could top it? First woman to complete the course in 35 years. Only 17 finishers in total over the previous 34 years.

She also won the 268 mile Spine race in 2019, beating both male and female competitors and smashing the course record at the time.

Oh, and she works full time.

Sent from my SM-A137F using Tapatalk

Well there's an Olympics and a Euros this summer to just name two. TdF recently has had a compelling story in it. If Arsenal win the prem, Chelsea Women still on for 4 etc etc. Just off the top of my head.

Fair play to Jasmin and all that compete in this, unbelievable endurance, but it's extremely niche, a tiny field and a very odd entrance process.

Just my opinion of course but these are all counter points to this being 'the greatest'.

Craftsman
    Well there's an Olympics and a Euros this summer to just name two. TdF recently has had a compelling story in it. If Arsenal win the prem, Chelsea Women still on for 4 etc etc. Just off the top of my head.

Fair play to Jasmin and all that compete in this, unbelievable endurance, but it's extremely niche, a tiny field and a very odd entrance process.

Just my opinion of course but these are all counter points to this being 'the greatest'.

The ones you mention may result in wider recognition and more accolades/awards but that doesn't make them greater sporting achievements. Arsenal winning the prem (if it happens) would be an achievement but given they have won it 13 times already I don't see it up there with this.

I would agree it is, but also agree that it won’t get the recognition of more glamorous or better covered sports. A great achievement has to be something we have waited a lifetime or more for. Murray winning Wimbledon, Wiggins winning the Tour De France, these were things that hadn’t happened to a Brit male for 70+ years so were rightly special.

You could argue Jasmin’s achievement is above sport and should be on a par with first up Everest, first to the North or South Pole etc. Just a thought.

Light the fuse and stand well back

Not one to split hairs generally but Arsenal have won it 3 times and not for 20 years. To win it they would need to pass Liverpool and Man City, two of the best teams over the last decades.

No doubt Jasmin and the others, hell of an achievement, but what's the level of the field? Seems pretty exclusive. Any Africans entered, given they dominate marathons?

Craftsman
    Not one to split hairs generally but Arsenal have won it 3 times and not for 20 years. To win it they would need to pass Liverpool and Man City, two of the best teams over the last decades.

No doubt Jasmin and the others, hell of an achievement, but what's the level of the field? Seems pretty exclusive. Any Africans entered, given they dominate marathons?

They've won it 13 times. I don't differentiate between different names for the top flight.

I won't respond to the African Marathon runner comment as I assume it isn't serious.

Last edited by GMC41; 26th March 2024 at 21:49.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    I won't respond to the African Marathon runner comment as I assume it isn't serious.
    This was a little different to doing the Berlin Marathon with pacemakers all the way on lovely flat tarmac’d roads.

Quote Originally Posted by GMC41 View Post
    There's a question mark at the end of the statement.

In my opinion, though, I just don't see what could top it? First woman to complete the course in 35 years. Only 17 finishers in total over the previous 34 years.

She also won the 268 mile Spine race in 2019, beating both male and female competitors and smashing the course record at the time.

Oh, and she works full time.

Indeed. Extremely impressive

Never heard of her or the event before but agree it's a fantastic performance.

Niche or not doesn't limit it's greatness and can't see it being beaten this year. Maybe if team like Wales win the Euros (though could be they're out already)?

Master
    Ultra running isn't as niche as it used to be ;-)