closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In praise of the NHS

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    One way of sorting that and that's to pay them more.
    Skilled profession and should be paid accordingly.
    Damn right H.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Damn right H.
    If I'm going to throw money at something it's going to be health

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    If I'm going to throw money at something it's going to be health
    Me too, already do... Spanish state courtesy of paying the fees for self employment certification for the wifey's very, very part time and fun, training/ teaching gig and also Private medical insurance which doubles as very effective holiday travel cover...You can never have too much good health care for my money.

We had her hip replacement done out here as well, when she decided the time was right/ discomfort was enough... excellent service/ care/ outcome. Her surgeon's is a nice chap. he let me have a squeeze of his wifes' knockers.

Life is all about choices, as the tag line goes.

Master
    Me too, already do... Spanish state courtesy of paying the fees for self employment certification for the wifey's very, very part time and fun, training/ teaching gig and also Private medical insurance which doubles as very effective holiday travel cover...You can never have too much good health care for my money.

We had her hip replacement done out here as well, when she decided the time was right/ discomfort was enough... excellent service/ care/ outcome. Her surgeon's is a nice chap. he let me have a squeeze of his wifes' knockers.

Do you have that surgeons name to hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Do you have that surgeons name to hand.
    I'm sure I have his name and contact details around here somewhere...

Master
    Blog Entries

I had a hip replacement 2 years ago...privately...titanium, osseointegrated....& ceramic.....cost me about £13K....best £13k I've ever spent....you use it 24/12 right? (not like a watch ;-))....I always tell people that this hip 'probably' feels like it did when I was 18....I'm feeling a bit short changed now though 'cos I never got to feel my surgeon's wife's t**s :-/

Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I had a hip replacement 2 years ago...privately...titanium, osseointegrated....& ceramic.....cost me about £13K....best £13k I've ever spent....you use it 24/12 right? (not like a watch ;-))....I always tell people that this hip 'probably' feels like it did when I was 18....I'm feeling a bit short changed now though 'cos I never got to feel my surgeon's wife's t**s :-/
    That last detail might've been a leg pull...about 7 years ago for the wife, titanium and ceramic like yours, just under 10k euro from memory, she'd buggered hers up back when she was 16, car accident in a mazda miata, they sorted it then eventually... months of traction, wheel chair, sticks, but she was warned she'd need a replacement earlier than the ''norm'', I must say the X rays before the replacement, truly gnarly looking, considerable discomfort towards the finish, she hung on until she was 47, then we got it done...yup best money we ever spent, we say she's bionic now.
    Last edited by Passenger; 23rd March 2024 at 17:22.

Master
    Blog Entries
    That last detail might've been a leg pull...about 7 years ago for the wife, titanium and ceramic like yours, just under 10k euro from memory, she'd buggered hers up back when she was 16, car accident in a mazda miata, they sorted it then eventually... months of traction, wheel chair, sticks, but she was warned she'd need a replacement earlier than the ''norm'', I must say the X rays before the replacement, truly gnarly looking, considerable discomfort towards the finish, she hung on until she was 47, then we got it done...yup best money we ever spent, we say she's bionic now.
    Oh go on then!..& apologies to anybody who is just tucking into their evening meal...my surgeon told me that this was the worst hip he'd ever seen....the next day the anaesthetist told me that the surgeon's very words were 'bloody hell, I've never seen one like that before!'

I'd ridden 100km on my bike 5 days before the surgery.

I've also subsequently detached my retina & broken my neck & back (C2 & T8) despite being a world class competitive cyclist...I've had many a comment in the bionic man/part man part machine vein. While I'm still alive I keep on going! :-)

That's the spirit, keep on going.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve never said that the NHS is the envy of the world and by the thread is in the G&D so no politics.

I’m also aware that, in many respects, it’s creaking at the seams and trying to do increasingly more with increasingly less. It’s no surprise that errors and omissions happen, yet your wife is pushing for them to do still more for other women with her condition. That’s not a criticism, everyone with any form of condition thinks that it should be treatable on the NHS. I personally don’t believe that any fertility treatment should be provided by the NHS even though my daughter benefited from three rounds of IVF.

The fact is that your wife and son are here today because of the NHS and others (including both yourself and your wife) and without it, either one or both wouldn’t be.

Criticise them all you like but that is a fact.

In addition, whilst I’ve no first hand experience of American health care, I do have first hand experience of both the private and public Spanish health care sectors.
    No I don't think you quite understand, maybe my fault. My wife volunteers along with others to help the Ashermans non profit to raise awareness among both GP's and patients and offer their support to other women sufferers. In a real sense they're trying to save the NHS both time and money as the syndrome is easily, cheaply ''fixed'' compared to what many women default to via their GP's, ie they go undiagnosed and get needlessly sent along the fertility testing/ IVF route. Basically a group of citizens trying to help the GP's/Nhs perform more efficiently and avert the suffering, heartache of other women.
    I accept you weren't being deliberately critical Dave but wanted to explain, set the record straight as what you wrote above could be taken as criticism. Hopefully you can pardon any sense of pedantry on my part.
    Enjoy your Sunday.
    Last edited by Passenger; 24th March 2024 at 14:57.

I've seen both sides recently, had a heart attack in December, stent fitted within days, and excellent follow up from our local hospital rehab unit.

On the other hand, 18 months after being referrred for Glaucoma I'm yet to have a proper assessment due to utter incompetence and pathy within that department.

I'm grateful it's not the other way round!