closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling Aerospace B70 Orbiter (new model/movement!)

Craftsman

Breitling Aerospace B70 Orbiter (new model/movement!)

Here we have it at last... a new model Breitling Aerospace B70 (new movement and functions).

Thoughts?

https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/watc...platform=sfmc1

Master
    Brief discussion on the new releases thread, personally I love it, but then I like Breitling and like aircraft bits in watches if done well.

I already have an Aerospace Evo, linked to my work so it won’t be going anywhere, otherwise would definitely be interested.

Sorry for duplicating

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Sorry for duplicating

D

Worthy of a separate discussion I reckon.

I like the move to pushers. Even though I got on ok with the previous single crown operation, I still found it a faff compared to using tried-and-tested pushers. They've done a good job of blending them in with the lines of the case too.

Liking that.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

It’s a funny watch the Aerospace, almost quaint in its tech, semi-stranded between mechanical watches and contemporary smart watches. I loved my Evo NM though, and I only sold it for reasons of long term running costs, having had an experience that made it Breitling battery changes or nothing. 2 year battery life for the new model is quite a turn off.

I’ve done the Aerospace thing, yet I’m looking for a 40mm E75362 with a view to DIY battery changes and accepting a failed module may be the end of the watches life.

13mm thick. I liked the old models thinness, this not so much. The caseback screws look to be proprietary, making it tricky to use someone other than Breitling for battery changes. I like the idea of the new pushers

D

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Worthy of a separate discussion I reckon.
    Three even.

Blog Entries
    I like it. A cross between the old B-1 and evo with the 3 pusher design. Just the 2y battery lifetime putting me off - not sure that the back screws can be removed without proprietary equipment? Will think overnight before clicking the button.
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

I like it but any idea of the case height? Can't find it on Breitling website.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    I like it but any idea of the case height? Can't find it on Breitling website.
    13mm, although an element of that may be the display back

13mm, although an element of that may be the display back

Many thanks. Hmmm that's possibly borderline in terms of thickness. I generally would want 12.5mm or less on that size of case.

They've got so much right with this - I love the colour scheme, and at just under £4K even the price, for 2024, is sane - but a 2 year battery life!? And a 13mm thick quartz watch!? This is a watch crying-out for some kind of charging system.

Master
    …………….

I’ve done the Aerospace thing, yet I’m looking for a 40mm E75362 with a view to DIY battery changes and accepting a failed module may be the end of the watches life.

13mm thick. I liked the old models thinness…………..

D

I’ve had five of the pre-Evo E79362 in all the colour variations, starting with black and now back with black again. In each case I’ve personally renewed the battery at least once and it’s very straightforward. IMO this is the nicest iteration of the Aerospace range and I’ve also had the earlier versions, including the 3 button ani/digi Pluton Navitimer that preceded them. All diy battery changes.

I had a battery change go wrong with my Evo, damaged the movement and £450 to put right, although the very reputable watch repairer paid the bulk of it. I’m sure I can do it.

I am drawn to the early Noughties 40mm 75362 with the crazy italic arabics. I think Watches of Espionage on Insta is to blame! The issue remains what happens when the module or display goes splat, as it’s very expensive to put right, even if Breitling still support the movement. I hate to think of such a watch being almost disposable when that happens.

D

I like it and may pick up a non limited edition in the new style once they come put but compared to the Gshock MRG B5000 which is only £3200, made of higher grade titanium (and cobarion), finished to a higher standard with a better bracelet and clasp, and has a much better module I just can't see many people in the £3-£4k digital watches space going for one of these over the MRG Gshock squares.

Blog Entries
    Decided not to buy - only because of the 2y expected battery lifetime and proprietary screw heads on the case back. Otherwise - I would have.

I had a battery change go wrong with my Evo, damaged the movement and £450 to put right, although the very reputable watch repairer paid the bulk of it. I’m sure I can do it.
    I had a similar experience. Bought a used Avantage a few years ago and after a year or so it needed a battery change. I sent to Breitling who said that they could tell the movement had been interfered with by a third party and that there was damage that wouldn’t meet the output QC of their service centre. Required a full service (which I believe they did by binning the old movement and replacing).

At the very least, if the battery lasts 2 years, I certainly wouldn’t be doing any battery changes myself within the 5-year warranty period as I’m certain it would invalidate the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I like it and may pick up a non limited edition in the new style once they come put but compared to the Gshock MRG B5000 which is only £3200, made of higher grade titanium (and cobarion), finished to a higher standard with a better bracelet and clasp, and has a much better module I just can't see many people in the £3-£4k digital watches space going for one of these over the MRG Gshock squares.
    I don’t know. Whilst personally, I’d rather have a MRG, I think a £3500 Breitling is easier to swallow, as a concept, than a £3500 GShock

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Decided not to buy - only because of the 2y expected battery lifetime and proprietary screw heads on the case back. Otherwise - I would have.
    I'm in that camp, essentially - I always loved my Aerospace but passed it on, for even if you do the occasional DIY battery change, at some point you'll check into Breitling servicing and they're both inflexible and expensive ("this is the 2nd battery change hence we will only undertake a Complete Service that'll be £505 please").

If you could recharge this I would be all over it, but then I guess they'd be admitting that their previous insistence that a quartz needed a Maintenance Service every 2 years and a Complete Service every 4-6 years was gouging.

Master
    Blog Entries

The Aerospace has hands, the MrG doesn’t. Slight difference.

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    The Aerospace has hands, the MrG doesn’t. Slight difference.
    Not really. Plenty of Gshocks have hands as well including many MRGs.

The MRGs are far superior made watches to the Aerospace, obviously styling/aesthetics will be a big part and not everyone is into the more outlandish designs from Casio. The MRG is a far higher quality and better finished watch than the Aerospace Evo - whether that also applies to this new version of the Aerospace we will have to see as the new Aerospace has a far more complex case (look at the hollowed out sides as a starter) as well as a redesigned bracelet. Hopefully the clasp is updated as it is terrible on the Evo - actually hurts fingernails opening the damn thing.

.Breitling boutique in Kingston is getting one in on Monday so I'll check it out.

Blog Entries

The MRGs are far superior made watches to the Aerospace, obviously styling/aesthetics will be a big part and not everyone is into the more outlandish designs from Casio. The MRG is a far higher quality and better finished watch than the Aerospace Evo - whether that also applies to this new version of the Aerospace we will have to see as the new Aerospace has a far more complex case (look at the hollowed out sides as a starter) as well as a redesigned bracelet. Hopefully the clasp is updated as it is terrible on the Evo - actually hurts fingernails opening the damn thing.

.Breitling boutique in Kingston is getting one in on Monday so I'll check it out.
    like to hear your thoughts on this Ryan. I just can’t get my head around the expected short battery life otherwise one would be on its easy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    like to hear your thoughts on this Ryan. I just can’t get my head around the expected short battery life otherwise one would be on its easy to me.
    I asked an employee around this and basically Breitling would have to replace the battery. I think that's a hard stop for me as that will cost £100+ a time and also you'd be looking at them wanting to service it.

I think that with regular production models which are sure to follow (so without the bits of balloon in the caseback) then I'd assume a non proprietary caseback screw system and you can replace your own battery or pay £20 or so for any competent shopping centre watchmaker to do it - now if that does materialise I'd be very interested (plus the balloon caseback adds 2mm case height and I'd prefer a slimmer case without the silly balloon anyway).

That new model in Cobra Yellow would be awesome and if we think the Orbiter version is £3900 on bracelet then I'd assume a standard model with no balloon piece in it would be around £3500 or so - we'll that's not too hideous a price).

I asked an employee around this and basically Breitling would have to replace the battery. I think that's a hard stop for me as that will cost £100+ a time and also you'd be looking at them wanting to service it.
    I wouldn't worry about that Ryan, we both know it'd be on SC long before the battery needed replacing ;-)

Master
    Blog Entries

The model you mentioned doesn’t have hands, hence my comment

The Aerospace used to be a pretty minimalist model - compared to the larger B1 or the Omega X range - and nothing I can find on the Casio Mr-G site have anything similar - if I’m missing something, please let me know.

The buttons on square G-Shocks are not very user friendly IME, the Breitling ones look better in that respect too.

How did you find the B5000 buttons - stiff, or easier to use as I have heard the 5610 range are?

Master
    Agree with everything here. Also agree with EarlofSudbury regarding a rechargeable battery. Can see it now - a docking station like the transmitter tester that came with the Emergency model, all packaged in a flight case.

I’ve had a terrible experience with BUK service centre, and sadly will never consider buying another Breitling as a result, but my E79362 Aerospace is my longest-owned watch, and for me is the sweet spot for this model.

As a p.s. after the trouble I had with Breitling UK, STS did the battery and seals change for me with zero hassle, and a lot less than Breitling charge.

It’s a funny watch the Aerospace, almost quaint in its tech, semi-stranded between mechanical watches and contemporary smart watches. I loved my Evo NM though, and I only sold it for reasons of long term running costs, having had an experience that made it Breitling battery changes or nothing. 2 year battery life for the new model is quite a turn off.

13mm thick. I liked the old models thinness, this not so much. The caseback screws look to be proprietary, making it tricky to use someone other than Breitling for battery changes. I like the idea of the new pushers

D

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    The model you mentioned doesn’t have hands, hence my comment

The Aerospace used to be a pretty minimalist model - compared to the larger B1 or the Omega X range - and nothing I can find on the Casio Mr-G site have anything similar - if I’m missing something, please let me know.

The buttons on square G-Shocks are not very user friendly IME, the Breitling ones look better in that respect too.

How did you find the B5000 buttons - stiff, or easier to use as I have heard the 5610 range are?
    The button action on the MRG B5000 is the one thing that doesn't seem premium. They are easy enough to use, certainly not stiff but there's no satisfying tactile feedback or a click. They feel similar to the standard metal Gshock square buttons when in use.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ryan - thanks for feedback. I have ‘discovered’ the B2100 range which are 11.8mm thick so going to try one of those. Usual small buttons (which I have not liked on my last 3 watches - I’ll never learn) but sparse-ish dial, ana-digi with Solar for about £110 on offer seems a risk worth taking.

I like it, and am on my second or third Aerospace.

Height isnt great, proprietary screws are not great (but I’m sure tools will surface).

I’m especially pleased they are keeping HAQ Ana-Digi alive outside humongous plastic cases or premium metal plastic look-a-like cases.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Got to try this today. Colour not to my taste but a nice update on the model by Breitling.

Hmmm - the 'burnt' orange is not really calling me TBH.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........