closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of moving - but not sure where to!

Journeyman
    My wife is Scottish and we always planned to retire there.

We both are now but in the end the generally pleasant Hertfordshire weather won over so we've stayed where we are.

The weather in Scotland really is poor if you like dry, warm sunny days
    Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    I’m really open to where we go, others in the team less so…
    I’ve always fancied living in Scotland. Always got on with Scots and the scenery is amazing.
    Sent from my SM-A736B using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Noaksey View Post
    My wife is Scottish and we always planned to retire there.

We both are now but in the end the generally pleasant Hertfordshire weather won over so we've stayed where we are.

The weather in Scotland really is poor if you like dry, warm sunny days
    I think you are right. If you are used to it - it is an easier decision.

I only lived in Hants for a couple of years, but visits to relatives there each year, do hit home how nice the climate is.

So, My recommendation: Move to Northern France.

Thanks, that is a great piece of insight, etc etc etc

South Wales to Fife is an interesting move - what made you choose Fife?

met the ball and chain at uni in Dundee and her family come from about an hour from here

Your experience of moving near a train station etc etc

So you say if you were doing it now you would do things differently, what would you do differently?

i am bloody sick of being cold - it was a toss up between scotland and france - think we should have chosen france with annual trips to scotland instead of the reverse

This is all really interesting and very useful to get some insights from a range of people.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    £800k seems like a healthy top line (but realistically maybe £700k max?)

I only looked within around 70 miles radius of Edinburgh (with a few fanciful looks beyond that), but still didn't waste the journey without doing extensive research to see if the area was viable.

One house I thought ticked the boxes for house/location/infrastructure/transport links - I did extensive search IRT flooding. I think for a lot of places in England with higher density building you should have a checklist with FLOODING, together with CLAY substrata - in your decision-making/assessments.

I have said to several people that I was not the typical purchaser, but I think perhaps a bit like a retiree.

(typical families look at Work commute, School catchment, bdrms to suit family size, garden if important - then it is prob pretty much down to budget/trivialities)

For me:
    Not interested in school catchments
    Want a house that I "want" to live in, with the footprint for decent size rooms.
    Not so interested in a large garden space for kids - just useable.
    Want to be near a viable town that has the right 'vibe' and amenities.
    Double garage.

I think you are fortunate with that budget - to prioritise the area/town, and then look at what is available to then ask "what is the house we want to live in, there?"

Some really nice towns in Dorset/Wilts/Hants that are far enough remote from the Motorway to allow many journeys without hitting a slip-road.

Good luck in the search, and most of all - don't panic buy.

(apols if a bit random - it's Saturday wine night)
    Thanks. Your criteria sounds very similar to mine. Not really interested in school catchments as just not relevant to us any more. The only thing I would add is a level of ethnic diversity in or near to whatever the location is. Seems like a Uni city could help tick that box. Also being close to a large town or a city to be able to access “vibes” etc. Probably not that important to me, but I know it would be for Mrs Bambam and for when her friends visit.

Thanks for the advice re not panic buying!

I’m hoping to make a road trip this week, if I get my car back from repair so I don’t have to travel on Good Friday.

For anyone that’s been to visit a possible location for a day - any ideas or tips as to things to spend time on? I know the details will vary depending on the specific location, but any general tips would be welcome.

Master
    Blog Entries

any general tips would be welcome.
    Call into A&E for a look …

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Call into A&E for a look …
    Tbh if retiring checking the availability of doctors and hospitals near by should probably be up on your priority list

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Bradford on Avon is a frickin' nightmare. The out laws live nearby so we've been there a lot.

Looks pretty on the outside but traffic is horrendous and whenever we've visited it's choking. In fact every town/village we've been to in that area is choked with traffic at all hours.

And it seems to be solely populated by a mix of la di da middle class hippies, rich Tory pensioners and the poverty stricken unemployed. Drug problems. Crime problems. Unemployment problems.

And it's so white. Even as a white family we find it unnerving being surrounded by so many people of the same ethnicity. Give me the diversity of a city any day.

The irony is that the out laws are always saying to us, "I don't know how you can live in London with all the traffic and crime."

I'd be looking at the areas where the kids go to university and see if any of those suit.
    What a shame to bring colour into the discussion. What on earth difference does it make???

Oh dear.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie View Post
    Tbh if retiring checking the availability of doctors and hospitals near by should probably be up on your priority list
    This is a very good point that I had never really considered until last November when I had a serious medical emergency. We have a big hospital about two miles away and my wife was able to safely get me there in several minutes.
    We will be moving, more than likely to a seaside village or town when our elderly parents pass, and this has greatly reduced the list of possible places we are considering. The difference to being near a hospital and a half hour plus drive away down tourist infested lanes can so easily be life and death and often is.
    And it's not just emergencies, required repeat treatments can become a major logistical and expensive problem in old age if there is a forty five minute drive to the nearest main hospital.

Master
    Well I managed to make a trip to Exeter earlier in the week. Was only there for a short while but liked what I saw of the city centre.
    Now if I was to go back for a longer look, are there any locals or those that know that area well that could recommend a few places to check out?

Well I managed to make a trip to Exeter earlier in the week. Was only there for a short while but liked what I saw of the city centre.
    Now if I was to go back for a longer look, are there any locals or those that know that area well that could recommend a few places to check out?
    Haven't been for many years but The Double Locks pub out at Marsh Barton is/was a fabulous real ale place with great food and one of the best beer gardens you'll come across (used to be free camping there too).

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    We moved from Beckenham (BR3) to Portishead which is just outside Bristol in 2015 for a chilled out life . It offers a nice outdoor lifestyle with plenty of walks ,nice scenery, good schools, and great motorway access enabling us to visit in laws in Ashby de La Zouche and my relatives in Brighton and the Hampshire area. Bristol area is good :)
    I live and really like Portishead too, its perfect to be near Bristol but also far enough away, has a lovely harbour, good pubs, restaurants, coastal walks, right on the M5 with M4 junction not too far and Devon and Cornwall are only a few hours down the road, same can be said for Clevedon too, only downside is holiday traffic on the M5 during the summer/bank holidays, £800k should get you something nice..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    We moved from Beckenham (BR3) to Portishead which is just outside Bristol in 2015 for a chilled out life . It offers a nice outdoor lifestyle with plenty of walks ,nice scenery, good schools, and great motorway access enabling us to visit in laws in Ashby de La Zouche and my relatives in Brighton and the Hampshire area. Bristol area is good :)
    the Bristol area appeals to me for when i downsize and possibly relocate. I go to lots of gigs and comedy, and don't plan to stop either and presently go to either London, Oxford or Bristol. Realistically I'll need to cut down on this kind of travel, focussing on one area and the Bristol area (inc Bath) has loads of great arts venues. I need to investigate some of the public transport links as Bristol is very anti car; hopefully that is reflected in a superior PT service.

Also has excellent train links back to London if needed.

Master
    Thanks. I spent many nights in Bristol many years ago when a company I worked for had a base there. Can’t say I got to know the area very well but at the time I did know a lot of the bars and restaurants.
    It’s great to have a few specific areas in the Bristol area to look at.

I’m still planning another trip to Exeter to look around a bit more.