closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Car paint repair recommendations?

Car paint repair recommendations?

Managed to scrape my Tesla against a pillar today and need to sort the paint out. It's a lease car.

Some pics below. Can anyone recommend a reputable repairer please?

Search smart repair in google maps and check for a local place with good reviews which also does alloy wheel refurb

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Search smart repair in google maps and check for a local place with good reviews which also does alloy wheel refurb
    Will do cheers

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used chipsaway when some kind sole ran a supermarket trolly down the side of my car,very pleased with the repair.

You could just take the hit and pay at the end of the lease. This happens all of the time and I have heard that it is sometimes cheaper to take the hit when you hand the cat back.

Some years ago now , I used ChipsAway twice, next door in the LB of Richmond. I thought the chap who came on both occasions did a very good job. Not sure if the quality and consistency of work is more dependent on the equipment onboard or technique and skills of the particular individual. Anyway, I was satisfied, although you might be a more demanding customer than me.

So none of the smart repairers will touch a Tesla it seems because of the electronics in the panels. So I've had my 1st Tesla approved bodyshop quote back.

£4.8k.....

No wonder insurance has skyrocketed. Needless to say, I'll be going down the insurance route.....

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    So none of the smart repairers will touch a Tesla it seems because of the electronics in the panels. So I've had my 1st Tesla approved bodyshop quote back.

£4.8k.....

No wonder insurance has skyrocketed. Needless to say, I'll be going down the insurance route.....
    Jesus wept. That's a disgrace, robbing feckers. Dacia is the way forward

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Car paint repair recommendations?

You’re being milked by cowboys. It doesn’t need to be Tesla approved.

I had two Teslas done here and not one issue

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Gomkm6qkx2fr85b98

My wife has since done the same one again so it’s due back soon. Not somewhere I thought I’d be a repeat customer.

Interesting article telling us what we already knew:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/ar...cost-of-claims

Exactly the experience I had with a simple bumper repair on 2009 Mazda 6. I was phoned every day by Enterprise trying to persuade me I needed a hire car, probably costing £500 per day. Eventually my car was written off for £4.5k. It just needed a minor repair and respray.

How are they getting away with it?

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    Jesus wept. That's a disgrace, robbing feckers. Dacia is the way forward

There’s a nice house near me which sold a few months ago for £1.35m. New owners have just bought a 24 plate Dacia Jogger. Decent looking car from the outside but the one star NCAP rating would put me off.

Master

£4.8k.....

They are taking the proverbial, as is Dave saying live with it & get it done when you give it back; living with it for months looking crappy just to save a penny or two!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We recently got a quote from Chips away to fix a scratch in the Ipace door, it was a complete ripoff, I could get the whole panel respray'd in a Bodyshop cheaper

There’s a nice house near me which sold a few months ago for £1.35m. New owners have just bought a 24 plate Dacia Jogger. Decent looking car from the outside but the one star NCAP rating would put me off.
    Would not drive.one if it was free.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    I caught a q/panel on a VW golf lease car, was cheaper to leave the damage (Tesla may be different)

£4.8k scratch repair on a £20k car?!?

Leave it for the lease co.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    Leave it for the lease co.
    Surely they will just charge that kind of price at the end of the lease anyway?

Why does it only have a one-star NCAP rating and does it make the car unsafe?

Last month Autocar ran a story on the top 100 cars to buy in the UK right now, the Jogger came in third.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post

Last month Autocar ran a story on the top 100 cars to buy in the UK right now, the Jogger came in third.
    10 Years ago we would probably have been happy to drive a similarly safe car.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; Yesterday at 22:41.

I think some of the ratings come from having safety tech as standard. So not having Lane drift alters, or distance control radar etc marks you down.

I suspect someone will actually know and clarify.

Edit: Googled and found this

https://www.topgear.com/long-term-ca...ogger/report-5

Last edited by xxnick1975; Yesterday at 22:28.

To me, yes it does.

Over the 30 years+ attending collisions there are a large number of life changing/fatal accidents where the car containing those unfortunate people was stationary when hit. The time to find out if it is important is not when you are tailgated by a truck. Journo's (including the motoring press) have very little social/technical responsibility IMO, it's about 'being in the industry and selling copy'.

Master
    The local chips away franchise holder did some paint on my wife’s Tesla sill after she scraped it. £200 quid, and it was a great job, probably better than the original paint! :-)

There’s no electronics on those panels that have been damaged, and they won’t have to dismantle anything at all to fix that.

I wouldn’t care less what comes first or third. I’ve seen how the sausage is made re reviews and do not trust lists like that. I do like Doug DeMuros Doug score though.

Why it has one star and if it makes the car unsafe? Couldn’t care less I’m not getting in a one star car.

Master
    Another vote for chipsaway. Excellent finish for a very small amount of money. Wasn’t a Tesla I got fixed though

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    To me, yes it does.

Over the 30 years+ attending collisions there are a large number of life changing/fatal accidents where the car containing those unfortunate people was stationary when hit. The time to find out if it is important is not when you are tailgated by a truck. Journo's (including the motoring press) have very little social/technical responsibility IMO, it's about 'being in the industry and selling copy'.
    You obviously know what you're talking about then. Are there any brands you recommend, usually it's Volvo but I don't know if that still the case

Quote Originally Posted by xxnick1975 View Post
    You obviously know what you're talking about then. Are there any brands you recommend, usually it's Volvo but I don't know if that still the case
    Just speaking from experience - old cars and budget new cars tend to be less safe. The older one's simply due to age and the new ones are built to a price.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The local chips away franchise holder did some paint on my wife’s Tesla sill after she scraped it. £200 quid, and it was a great job, probably better than the original paint! :-)

There’s no electronics on those panels that have been damaged, and they won’t have to dismantle anything at all to fix that.
    That's interesting as they flat out told me they wouldn't work on my Tesla.

Luckily a fellow forum member in the auto industry has given me details of a chap he uses for bodywork so I'll take up that offer and get in touch with him

Master
    How long you got left? I’d rather not see a damaged car regardless of cost.

That’s not even £1k of damage to repair using a mobile paint tech - in reality they’ll guesstimate cost and then send the unfixed car to auction.

Tesla have given you a ‘back to new’ price.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    … to save a penny or two!

480,000 pennies
    Last edited by Onelasttime; Today at 07:45.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    How long you got left? I’d rather not see a damaged car regardless of cost.

Another 18 months

I bashed the back corner of my leased Velar into a concrete bin and was quoted £2k to patch it up and £4.5k to fix it properly, as it would/might need a new bumper, new reversing sensors, two different paints etc etc.
    I took the view to just send it back at the end of the lease with the damage still in place and take the hit.

The bill from the lease company was £75.

I therefore know what I would do!

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Interesting article telling us what we already knew:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/ar...cost-of-claims

Exactly the experience I had with a simple bumper repair on 2009 Mazda 6. I was phoned every day by Enterprise trying to persuade me I needed a hire car, probably costing £500 per day. Eventually my car was written off for £4.5k. It just needed a minor repair and respray.

How are they getting away with it?

I complained to Axa about a £3.5k repair to my car that chips away quoted £400 to repair, £220 if I'd have lived with a small spot of paint missing from the wing.

They upheld my complaint but didn't deal with it besides giving me £75 for not acting quicker.

The bodyshop swapped out a perfectly good tyre (for no reason) and sprayed the bumper wing and door (all fair). Took a month with me having a hire car all that time.

God knows what the repair to the Tesla cost that hit me.