closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Home office reno and desk set-up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Have you had a look at the Audioengine A2+?
    yes they look great in fairness!

Master
    OK, so some of the Lego things are work in progress for above the monitor, 911 stage 1 built, Lambo on the way from RustyBin5.

Mounted the track too high in the room and poorly orientated having stepped back.

Looks flat but isn’t

Now at a better height and orientation

Great to see this thread still being updated. I still find it strangely fascinating
    Last edited by Bootsy; 12th April 2024 at 10:26.

Very minor updates from me.

I’m a little obsessed with Oxblood coloured / leather stuff. Stems from my Dr Martens fetish!

So a new addition is an Oxblood leather writing desk pad on my left hand side desk for when I rarely scribe away.

Also now have a monitor light so not always reliant on my desk lamp

On the subject of lighting….

I have all my lamps on smart plugs running via Alexa so have schedules set or can call them on and off for Zoom meetings etc depending. on natural light levels.

Back wall picture is the skyline of beloved home town Norwich. I live about 25 minutes from the centre these days. Works well as the colours go with the rooms various tones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bootsy; 12th April 2024 at 10:27.

Master
    That picture does go well for sure.

How’s the desk chair? It looks fantastic as a design but doesn’t scream all-day-comfort to me at a glance.

About 2/3 of the way through my 911 Lego build for one of the cars for the wall, but already wondering if I should go simpler with another race track instead of 2 cars - a lot less dusting to do.

Slightly frustrating I’ve not got through the first car and already wondering on a different direction. Oh well, enjoyed the build and I can get my money back if I decide it’s not right once mounted.

The chair could be argued as being a little style over function!

The top part is mid century, re-padded and recovered in Oxblood leather but with a modern pneumatic base on it with various adjustments however.......

I'm strict and only spend so much time sitting at a time and having tried a few this actually supports the base of my spine well plus I seem conditioned in keeping very upright when sitting on it - this stems from me using a 'kneeling' chair at my office in Norwich (couple of days a week)

Absolutely lovely room, although I agree that the chair is probably less than ideal from an ergonomics perspective. I do like it though, and I love the oxblood desk mat.

Sam, my son, was meant to have come over today to help put the new bookshelves up. He didn't (he's very, very unreliable) but I did manage to get something done...

I also moved the second helmet rack to the other side of the room, so it's really just the bookshelves and painting left now (sadly, I need Sam for both). Oh, and I need to decide whether to get red or black speakers, but I'm going to ask for some views on that once the room is painted (it's going to be a dark grey).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 14th April 2024 at 09:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    That picture does go well for sure.

How’s the desk chair? It looks fantastic as a design but doesn’t scream all-day-comfort to me at a glance.

About 2/3 of the way through my 911 Lego build for one of the cars for the wall, but already wondering if I should go simpler with another race track instead of 2 cars - a lot less dusting to do.

Slightly frustrating I’ve not got through the first car and already wondering on a different direction. Oh well, enjoyed the build and I can get my money back if I decide it’s not right once mounted.
    I’d go with another track, or tracks, perhaps with some lighting on the same wall.

Absolutely lovely room, although I agree that the chair is probably less than ideal from an ergonomics perspective. I do like it though, and I love then oxblood desk mat.

Sam, my son, was meant to have come over today to help put the new bookshelves up. He didn't (he's very, very unreliable) but I did manage to get something done...

I also moved the second helmet rack to the other side of the room, so it's really just the bookshelves and painting left now (sadly, I need Sam for both). Oh, and I need to decide whether to get red or black speakers, but I'm going to ask for some views on that once the room is painted (it's going to be a dark grey).
    Great to see the TV centred.

This thread has spurred me to make a few adjustments and additions to my WFH set up. Mainly a monitor / laptop arm and full length desk mat.

Master
    I’d go with another track, or tracks, perhaps with some lighting on the same wall.
    Tv being centred is so much of an improvement there. Amazing how such a simple change makes such a difference!

Struggling for even more lights in there tbh, I’ve got my desk / floor light and then the ceiling one. Don’t spend any time chilling in there / evening personal time, as prefer to be in the lounge with Mac / iPad.

That said, I do like yours either side of the desk in the corner. Mine won’t be in corners but might make it a more balanced light vs simply on one side. Although we are out of the dark mornings & afternoons now!

My challenge with tracks is they need to both mean something / have visited, and also need to look good. Brands is possible, Thruxton isn’t a pretty circuit on a wall. Love the ring on PS5, but #neverbeen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Tv being centred is so much of an improvement there. Amazing how such a simple change makes such a difference!

Struggling for even more lights in there tbh, I’ve got my desk / floor light and then the ceiling one. Don’t spend any time chilling in there / evening personal time, as prefer to be in the lounge with Mac / iPad.

That said, I do like yours either side of the desk in the corner. Mine won’t be in corners but might make it a more balanced light vs simply on one side. Although we are out of the dark mornings & afternoons now!

My challenge with tracks is they need to both mean something / have visited, and also need to look good. Brands is possible, Thruxton isn’t a pretty circuit on a wall. Love the ring on PS5, but #neverbeen.

The Silverstone track looks great mounted Matt, perfect for that space
    sounds like you now have justification to visit more tracks to compliment the look/balance of your room
    good luck convincing the missus

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    The Silverstone track looks great mounted Matt, perfect for that space
    sounds like you now have justification to visit more tracks to compliment the look/balance of your room
    good luck convincing the missus
    Cheers. She onboard with another track or two.

Lego cars aren’t working as planned, so will enjoy the build and sell them on. Funds will buy the next track and a standing desk, which I’ve decided I would like to have.

Master
    https://puruslife.co.uk/products/hei...52213#variants

Toying with this desk currently in 140x70 size.

A lot of desks seem to be 80cm depth which for me intrudes too much into the room.

Take a look here they have some desks at 600mm deep.

https://cityusedofficefurniture.co.u.../?orderby=date

https://puruslife.co.uk/products/hei...52213#variants

Toying with this desk currently in 140x70 size.

A lot of desks seem to be 80cm depth which for me intrudes too much into the room.
    That's a great size, and I definitely wouldn't go any less than 70mm deep. Very, very cheap compared to the competition, but hopefully a good quality.

Are you sure you want a glass top?

Master
    That's a great size, and I definitely wouldn't go any less than 70mm deep. Very, very cheap compared to the competition, but hopefully a good quality.

Are you sure you want a glass top?
    Currently on a 60cm depth as needed a twin bed to work behind it, before realising I’d been keeping beds for 1% of the time use wise.

Reviews well, but you can’t really tell these days! Originally wanted ceramic, but the white top has a faux marble finish, which is a hard no from me.

Fixed stand arrived today, raised the height to a perfect level despite the top vesa mount on my monitor. Cloth at the bottom stops the wobble, so have cancelled the vesa bracket extender.

Means a Halo won’t fit, so trying an alternative. If I’ve not managed to cancel the bracket in time, then will get a halo. Still annoyed I bought one of the few monitors with such a daft mount position.

Can’t find a nice white desk I like, so may just stick with what I have until I can work it out. When removing the old arm, desk was away from the wall & reminded me how much it creaked! Pushed to the skirting it firms up, so no noise.

You’ve been quiet here Tony, was looking forward to an office update from you.

Master
    I've followed this thread out of interest from the utilisation of space aspect.
    I personally don't have a home office as working from home is not an option in my line of work.
    I do have a little man cave though, 7' square and kitted out with cheap IKEA stuff, I guess it's cluttered by all of your office standards but this is purely leisure & 1hr max/day.
    I certainly wouldn't want to be working/confined here

Last edited by Tuna1138; 20th April 2024 at 23:53.

Currently on a 60cm depth as needed a twin bed to work behind it, before realising I’d been keeping beds for 1% of the time use wise.

Reviews well, but you can’t really tell these days! Originally wanted ceramic, but the white top has a faux marble finish, which is a hard no from me.

Fixed stand arrived today, raised the height to a perfect level despite the top vesa mount on my monitor. Cloth at the bottom stops the wobble, so have cancelled the vesa bracket extender.

Means a Halo won’t fit, so trying an alternative. If I’ve not managed to cancel the bracket in time, then will get a halo. Still annoyed I bought one of the few monitors with such a daft mount position.

Can’t find a nice white desk I like, so may just stick with what I have until I can work it out. When removing the old arm, desk was away from the wall & reminded me how much it creaked! Pushed to the skirting it firms up, so no noise.

You’ve been quiet here Tony, was looking forward to an office update from you.

I'm not sure that I'm entirely following that, Matt. What shape is the monitor, as the Halo comes with an additional attachment if it's curved?

I've had a spell of not being able to do the outstanding work, but the new black bookshelves (they'll be on the wall behind me when I'm at me desk) are going up today. I'm also about to paint an accent wall in front of me, just to make sure I'm happy with the colour prior to painting the whole room the same.

Photos to follow!

I personally don't have a home office as working from home is not an option in my line of work.
    I do have a little man cave though, 7' square and kitted out with cheap IKEA stuff, I guess it's cluttered by all of your office standards but this is purely leisure & 1hr max/day.

Good grief, man... that needs some work!

Master

Master
    I'm not sure that I'm entirely following that, Matt. What shape is the monitor, as the Halo comes with an additional attachment if it's curved?

I've had a spell of not being able to do the outstanding work, but the new black bookshelves (they'll be on the wall behind me when I'm at me desk) are going up today. I'm also about to paint an accent wall in front of me, just to make sure I'm happy with the colour prior to painting the whole room the same.

Photos to follow!

Assuming the spell was due to the new norm, sorry to hear. Although if not & you were just busy with life then that’s great.

Light wise, as I have my vesa screws at the top edge of the monitor, rather than centrally, the bracket attached to the vesa plate doesn’t leave enough height for the rear of the halo to fit, according to their fitment requirements. Annoying but it is what it is.

I have a cheap bar light that on initial offering up and playing with the mount suggests it will work, and the webcam will hang over the front so only raise it up a 1cm, which is good.

Frustrating buying a light and having to wait hours to see what it looks like on lol.

Large Lego 911 currently sat on dining room table, being very slow on the Sian build & then they need photos and dismantling. Too visually busy to be over my screen given how minimalist the rest of the house is. Another track will more be in keeping with the rest of the house & style.

Look forward to seeing the photos & the accent wall colour choice!

Master

Home office reno and desk set-up

Ok so the light when in use was disappointing, the bar itself was in my mind too close to the screen, as a result scattered light poorly onto it.

Ordered a Quintis last night from Amazon which arrived pre 9am and have to say I’m very happy. It sits like the BenQ raised from the screen, but with a flexible mount allowing my daft monitor to work.

Webcam sits just above it sturdy enough without the need for an extra bracket.

Just need to decide on rear lighting of any. Toying with this for either behind the monitor, or along the rear edge of the desk facing the wall, but don’t think in that position it will throw much light out to the wall given how close the desk is.

https://amzn.eu/d/elk4rdz

Craftsman

I wouldn't call that cluttered. It's one of the few set ups in this thread that actually looks like it gets any normal use LOL. Extra points for having your watch collection visible and in easy reach :-)

Those IKEA ELLOVEN monitor stands are really good. I have two of the black ones for my pair of Dell 24" monitors.

Master

You need to post the other view as you’re missing the best part!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    I wouldn't call that cluttered. It's one of the few set ups in this thread that actually looks like it gets any normal use LOL. Extra points for having your watch collection visible and in easy reach :-)

Those IKEA ELLOVEN monitor stands are really good. I have two of the black ones for my pair of Dell 24" monitors.
    I do enjoy looking at my watches, probably not the safest option but a risk I take. Ikea stuff is great for the price and the Elloven stands do come in handy

You need to post the other view as you’re missing the best part!
    A slight rearrangement is now needed as I've received another from Matt/trackscapes

Ok so the light when in use was disappointing, the bar itself was in my mind too close to the screen, as a result scattered light poorly onto it.

Ordered a Quintis last night from Amazon which arrived pre 9am and have to say I’m very happy. It sits like the BenQ raised from the screen, but with a flexible mount allowing my daft monitor to work.

Webcam sits just above it sturdy enough without the need for an extra bracket.

Just need to decide on rear lighting of any. Toying with this for either behind the monitor, or along the rear edge of the desk facing the wall, but don’t think in that position it will throw much light out to the wall given how close the desk is.

https://amzn.eu/d/elk4rdz
    That looks good, Matt. Have a look at the Govee lighting for behind the monitor (and/or for the rear edge of the desk).

Master
    Blog Entries
    Here is my set up, not very designer or modern but functional.

^^^ Functional is key.

Not managed to paint the wall yet, but the Audioengine A2+ Wireless speakers have now been added and they sound and look great. Picked them up as-new from eBay for £140 delivered!

Master
    ^^^ Functional is key.

Not managed to paint the wall yet, but the Audioengine A2+ Wireless speakers have now been added and they sound and look great. Picked them up as-new from eBay for £140 delivered!

That looks like a very sharp set-up!

Master
    ^^^ Functional is key.

^^^ Functional is key.

Bloody hell what a bargain mate! They just running off the Mac headphone socket, or an amp (sorry if I missed this!) EDIT - just seen the are wireless :D

Did look at the govee rear lights that sort of sit below the monitor and point upwards but worried with all the cables I will cast some shadows. I really do want a 6500k light behind it though as know what it does to colours and blacks.

Did get interesting feedback of not looking engaged on teams, as was making looking at their video, which with the increased height of my camera made it look me look like was staring down at something else vs being present.

Also learned that with a light like this it seems to increase reflection in my glasses for those that are watching me on cam. Which means that if I’m flicking across screens and actually not paying attention it is more visible. Bugger.

Oh and thank god that top tv is now central, that makes the world of difference & I bet you’re not twitching as much now lol. Really glad you started this as made me challenge what I had / needed to tweak.

I also now have 2 LEGO cars to sell as it’s not going to work how I thought and need another race track. But was so much fun building them and a good break from a screen.
    Last edited by Mj2k; 25th April 2024 at 20:57.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    That looks like a very sharp set-up!
    Thanks! I'm nearly there, I think.

Bloody hell what a bargain mate! They just running off the Mac headphone socket, or an amp (sorry if I missed this!)

Did look at the govee rear lights that sort of sit below the monitor and point upwards but worried with all the cables I will cast some shadows. I really do want a 6500k light behind it though as know what it does to colours and blacks.

Did get interesting feedback of not looking engaged on teams, as was making looking at their video, which with the increased height of my camera made it look me look like was staring down at something else vs being present.

Also learned that with a light like this it seems to increase reflection in my glasses for those that are watching me on cam. Which means that if I’m flicking across screens and actually not paying attention it is more visible. Bugger.

Oh and thank god that top tv is now central, that makes the world of difference & I bet you’re not twitching as much now lol. Really glad you started this as made me challenge what I had / needed to tweak.

I also now have 2 LEGO cars to sell as it’s not going to work how I thought and need another race track. But was so much fun building them and a good break from a screen.
    I bought the wireless version, Matt, so they're connected via Bluetooth (and they're powered - 60w peak - so don't need an amp). Theoretically I could play them in another room (if I wanted to, that is).

I know what you mean about the webcam position. Mine's a bit too high as well, but it seems to be the least bad of the options (e.g. I could go with my display camera - it's about 2.5" lower - but isn't anywhere near the image quality).

Master
    I bought the wireless version, Matt, so they're connected via Bluetooth (and they're powered - 60w peak - so don't need an amp). Theoretically I could play them in another room (if I wanted to, that is).

I know what you mean about the webcam position. Mine's a bit too high as well, but it seems to be the least bad of the options (e.g. I could go with my display camera - it's about 2.5" lower - but isn't anywhere near the image quality).
    I found moving 'my' image on the screen up to the top of the monitor via moving the teams window helped my visual engagement, tried putting the camera on the monitor under the light bar, but it just looked awful for me as was off centre.

I do wonder if the perfect camera set up exists for both viewers, sharers and lightning desires!

Do the speaker stay on vs any power saving function that drives me up the wall when my soundbar turns off? Thinking maybe having them as an option for my bedroom tv as hate the speakers on a 32" tv quality wise.

I found moving 'my' image on the screen up to the top of the monitor via moving the teams window helped my visual engagement, tried putting the camera on the monitor under the light bar, but it just looked awful for me as was off centre.

I do wonder if the perfect camera set up exists for both viewers, sharers and lightning desires!

Do the speaker stay on vs any power saving function that drives me up the wall when my soundbar turns off? Thinking maybe having them as an option for my bedroom tv as hate the speakers on a 32" tv quality wise.
    That's a good question, Matt, and I have no idea of the answer. I'm going to have to check now, though!

I was also thinking of having them in the bedroom, for the hi-fi system as opposed to the TV, though. I have some Acoustic Energy speakers on stands at present but these would be far less "invasive" given how often we use the system anyway.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 25th April 2024 at 23:39.

^^^ Functional is key.

They look great! Do try some stands to raise them closer to ear level, I found it makes a huge difference to clarity and imaging and removes any muddiness from reflections on the desk.

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk