closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OT - Psychology placement

Master

OT - Psychology placement

Hi all

As some of you know, my daughter is in the 2nd year of her Psychology degree (some of you kindly completed a survey for her recently, so thanks again for that).

Year 3 is supposed to a placement year but she is struggling to find a suitable placement.

She doesn't mind too much what it is, it's more about the experience of applying things and seeing how things work in practice.

So I thought I'd see if anyone works with or knows of anywhere that she could contact with a view to landing something? Some friends have put us in touch with a local sports therapy group as an example and I'm sure there are other set-ups that could benefit from having a sharp and enthusiastic degree student for a year. Ideally, location would be somewhere in London or around Berkshire as she'll be living at home during the placement year. The only requirement that some local groups have not been able to meet is an office or base for her to actually go to on a regular basis.

I know that a few people on here are associated with various set-ups so maybe something with ring a bell here. Any options would be welcome - feel free to PM or post here.

Many thanks

my niece is currently in her 3rd year and is doing her placement with the local CAHMS in house unit.

My daughter did a three year honours degree in Psychology and had two (I think) six week placements, one at a special school for children with severe SEN and another with a speech and language therapist.

As an aside, she then did a PGCE and has been a primary school teacher for three years, but is currently in the application process for an Educational Psychology doctorate, as she's decided that's how best she can help children and young adults.

So a placement may help determine which way your daughter is thinking of going with a career post graduation.

One whole year in a placement you may come to dislike after a few weeks doesn't sound like much fun!

Blog Entries
    One whole year in a placement you may come to dislike after a few weeks doesn't sound like much fun!
    ^^^ This ^^^. But then again, I'm an old man.

My wife studied psychology at Harvard and I've worked with young adults on a SEN school, with pupils who had been sentenced by a judge. After my time in the army and my Master SEN. First as a teacher, later as a vice principal. Let's say that I cannot imagine my wife working at a school like that. More, you must have some sort of 'vocation' before you step into a SEN school as a young psychology student. Some soul-searching if that's what you want, would be a great first step.

Having said that: back in 2010 or so, my youngest and school... a disaster. A young psychologist tested him and found that his performal skills 'went off the chart', combined with Asperger and ADD a fine mix for teachers and parents. That same psychologist gave us lots of tools etc how to handle the situation. Life-changing sessions with her. And the rest is history. Up until the moment last November where we (my son and I) sat in a college classroom of the Astronomy Faculty. "Because this is the most difficult thing I can study in the country!" So yes, we owe her (the psychologist) a lot!

Something else: a friend of us is psychology professor @ a Dutch University. Her field: Environmental Psychology. Nature, health, e.g. the influence of how cities are designed and their influence on people. But, also: how roads, crossroads, roundabouts etc are designed and how people react to that. Perhaps it's worth looking in that direction as well.
    Last edited by thieuster; 15th March 2024 at 20:37.

Just get her to become a member on here - years of material to feast on!.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........