closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nice cutlery…. What are we rockin’ ???

Blog Entries

Nice cutlery…. What are we rockin’ ???

I’m a bit fed up with my cutlery drawer…

I don’t mind spending a little or a bit

Something that feels really nice in the hand and looks stylish

Full sets feel like a waste as I’m not fussed about spoons…. Just nice knives and forks

Blog Entries
    Bias for Sheffield ... I like the David Mellor cutlery, especially Embassy , Pride and Classic lines
    Last edited by Franco; 14th March 2024 at 13:53.

We have an 'assortment'...but my go to dining knives are Viners Select steak knives. I use them at every available opportunity.

Do check that whatever you buy fits into the dishwasher cutlery tray/basket. Some of the nicer stuff is rather thick and won't go into the grids that separate the cutlery. You can guess how I know this might be an issue (but thankfully the Viners fit).

Not too bothered about my eating spanners to be honest; anything that will double as a gasket scraper.

Master
    You can't really go wrong with Viners, we've had a stainless set for 20+ years as they are still going very strong.

What do you eat pudding, cereal, soup with?

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Master
    Blog Entries
    We’ve got Viners for posh and Ikea for everyday.
    Can’t say I’ve noticed a difference when shovelling shepherds pie into my cakehole.

Wooden cooking spoon with a cut down handle.

Mrs. B and I treated ourselves to a set of Culinary Concepts Hammered Knot for our 10th wedding anniversary - it wasn't cheap at the time, but it's been our everyday cutlery for the past 21 years, so it amortizes out quite well:

https://www.culinaryconcepts.co.uk/d.../hammered-knot

We also have the carving set, the Olive bowl, spoon and fork, pickle spoons and various other pieces.

For steak night, we have a set of Forge de Laguiole knives which were another indulgence from many years ago when we were young and foolish.

https://www.farrar-tanner.co.uk/6-st...caAvyxEALw_wcB

Blog Entries
    A mix ‘n’ (not) match of Ikea, Hema and other no-name stuff that comes from the local supermarket. Total value: less than a tenner I guess.

We use it for nearly 30 yrs now. And we see no reason to change.

Arthur Price - John Lewis used to have a per-weapon set with hollow handles.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Bias for Sheffild ... I like the David Mellor cutlery, especially Embassy , Pride and Classic lines
    Same here!

Love the Embassy - he won the contract to design a line to be used in British embassies across the world in the early 60s

The factory is not far from me and me and my wife actually went on the factory tour on Sunday last week.

We have his London range at home.

https://www.davidmellordesign.com/cu...s-steel/london

I wanted Embassy but my wife thought it was too refined for me…

Monogrammed, of course

Though for day-to-day use we simply use these from Procook

https://www.procook.co.uk/product/pr...ece-4-settings
    Last edited by Gyp; 14th March 2024 at 08:51.

There was a time when you got a good canteen set from someone - when you got married.

If buying yourself - make sure you don't go for style attributes like:

• Very narrow handles - look lovely on the table but don't give any control in the hand
    • Square handles - popular on some 'bistro' sets - very uncomfortable and little control.
    • All polished finish - If you get matt/brushed handles, you don't have to go around the table polishing out finger prints.

Viners for me. Ł18 set from TKmax😁

What a time to be alive.

We have this stuff, it's great:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/dragon-...teel-90091760/

Design is perfect, goes through the dishwasher, doesn't break, doesn't stain.
    "A man of little significance"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    What a time to be alive.
    Ha!

I did a bit of thinking…. I spend half an hour a day with these tools in my hand, so felt like they deserved some attention!

I quite liked the opinel knives and enjoyed using an opinel #8 in a posh French bistro…

Franco - great suggestion and some lovely designs…. It may be a worth a trip to the factory shop (my boy is at uni there)

Carltonbrowne - I hope you only cut the finest wagyu with those knives - they look exquisite!

The monogram canteen looks awesome too, but I just want knives and forks as we rarely do pudding

I’m after something very well made, weighty and simply designed but well engineered…

Nice cutlery…. What are we rockin’ ???

You can also look at Oneida. We’ve had ours for 20y+ as the Christofle set doesn’t get much use.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Ha!

I did a bit of thinking…. I spend half an hour a day with these tools in my hand, so felt like they deserved some attention!

I quite liked the opinel knives and enjoyed using an opinel #8 in a posh French bistro…

Franco - great suggestion and some lovely designs…. It may be a worth a trip to the factory shop (my boy is at uni there)

Carltonbrowne - I hope you only cut the finest wagyu with those knives - they look exquisite!

The monogram canteen looks awesome too, but I just want knives and forks as we rarely do pudding

I’m after something very well made, weighty and simply designed but well engineered…
    This thread reminds me of summat my FIL said, '' I spend 60,000 dollars on a new kitchen and the food tastes the same'', in front of the MIL! Whadda guy

Do you never do soup, soft boiled eggs, pasta or porridge-cereal?
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th March 2024 at 15:21.

Tons on facebook local - Selling for lack of use, or selling to make ends meet?

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Tons on facebook local - Selling for lack of use, or selling to make ends meet?
    Tough time to be an eating enthusiast???

Tough time to be an eating enthusiast???
    Ha! Possibly..............

People's habits have changed - with many eating from their laps in front of the TV or managing with a 6 setting 'Bistro' cutlery set. I only use my proper set when I lay a table with guests.
    People are putting less emphasis on using a knife and fork too. So many use a fork like a 'spork' or (like a lot of Norwegians) swap arround Knife and Fork - to always use the fork in 'spoon' orientation.

Master
    We are big Viners fans. Not too heavy just right feel and good quality.

However, they were bought out a few years ago and the quality of Viners these days is shocking compared to the proper stuff. Sad, but true.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    Ha! Possibly..............

People's habits have changed - with many eating from their laps in front of the TV or managing with a 6 setting 'Bistro' cutlery set. I only use my proper set when I lay a table with guests.
    People are putting less emphasis on using a knife and fork too. So many use a fork like a 'spork' or (like a lot of Norwegians) swap arround Knife and Fork - to always use the fork in 'spoon' orientation.
    True enough I reckon and then the Yanks can barely use a knife and fork even in a restaurant...I once caused much amazement, some consternation even, by using a fork and spoon to eat an entire portion of spaghetti and meatballs without spilling a drop of sauce on myself...had we been in Salem rather than Philadelphia, I dare say my fellow diners might have burned me for a warlock.
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th March 2024 at 12:37.

Canteens of cutlery go for Łwashers at our local auction house usually (with on-trend exceptions like Georg Jensen and suchlike).

Our cutlery drawer is like an archaeological excavation of my wife and I's past lives - random bits assembled from well-meant gifts and the rest filched from restaurants that annoyed me. She's overly fond of an incomplete set with the most horrendously heavy and clumsy handles + badly-designed business-ends, each and every one the cure for good ergonomics, and possessed by demons which hurl them to the floor almost constantly since they're incapable of balance. Little by little these fall into the recycling bin 'on-accident'... She is from Yorkshire, and will never rid herself of anything that is merely surplus or useless. Which is fortunate for me...

Amongst all this wannabe scrap are forty 316L sporks (looking at you Mr Curta), purchased for our self-catered wedding 'cos they were cheaper than decent disposibles! These continue to get used far more than is anything to be proud of TBH...

We're using a set of Viners we have had for 30 years, they don't wear out.

I did pick up an overflow set of ss cutlery from a yard sale in the US for $3 in case we have a lot of guests.

We also have full canteens of silver Viners and a bronze set from Thailand which are never used.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Oneida set from 20yrs ago, regularly used and pretty much unmarked. The only thing I'd change is that the knives are a little handle heavy but they've been great vfm. I used to wonder why people have sets as presents but a good set really days last a lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by earlofsodbury View Post

Amongst all this wannabe scrap are forty 316L sporks...
    I see your spork

and raise you one splade

It is like the spork iirc, but with what is fondly imagined to be a cutting edge on each outer tine. Cut they do not, though they make a passable fist of sectionalising a burger.
    Last edited by unclealec; 14th March 2024 at 18:48.

Not trying to wee on anyone's chips but having given it a moments thought of all the meals that I've had the good fortune to enjoy the only cutlery/ eating implements that I can raise even a mild nostalgia for is those little wooden 2 pronged forks we used to get with our jumbo sausage, chips and curry sauce during Summer's spent at the public swimming pool in Skeggy, swimming and playing chase around the pool with my cousins.
    Will also never forget a mate in NZ, RIP Dave, who used the plank which served as the gangway to get into the family caravan by a beach in NZ, as his chopping block for the Paua we'd collected. Though in fairness not cutlery. Amazing flavour/ texture, cooked up in cream, the puau not the plank.
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th March 2024 at 15:00.

We've just got all manner of 'unknown maker' stuff from years gone by. However, I have a specific knife, fork, dessert spoon and teaspoon. I will not use anything else than those at home....ever. The wife has often asked if we can get a decent matching canteen, but when you feel comfortable with certain items then why change. Yep, it does cause me annoyance when eating out - can't stand having to use most of the cutlery that eateries present!
    Last edited by Mouse; 14th March 2024 at 15:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    We've just got all manner of 'unknown maker' stuff from years gone by. However, I have a specific knife, fork, dessert spoon and teaspoon. I will not use anything else than those at home....ever. The wife has often asked if we can get a decent matching canteen, but when you feel comfortable with certain items then why change. Yep, it does cause me a minor irritation when eating out - can't stand using a lot of the cutlery that eateries present!
    You could perhaps consider having a bespoke leather, or something more exotic, hand crafted artisanal cutlery case made, carry along your preferred eating irons within, when eating out...why endure even a minor irritation? And it will improve the taste of the food.
    Last edited by Passenger; 14th March 2024 at 15:36.

You could perhaps consider having a bespoke leather, or something more exotic, hand crafted artisanal cutlery case made, carry along your preferred eating irons within, when eating out...why endure even a minor irritation? And it will improve the taste of the food.
    Oh, don't worry, something along those lines has already been suggested by the wife in the past lol

Not quite that fussy (almost but not quite). Just one of those weird things that plays on my mind. Now, chopsticks, let's not even go there!
    Last edited by Mouse; 14th March 2024 at 15:57.

Master
    True enough I reckon and then the Yanks can barely use a knife and fork even in a restaurant...I once caused much amazement, some consternation even, by using a fork and spoon to eat an entire portion of spaghetti and meatballs without spilling a drop of sauce on myself...had we been in Salem rather than Philadelphia, I dare say my fellow diners might have burned me for a warlock.
    I love watching them eat when we are on holiday.

Seems to be cut multiple things up, place knife down, swap fork to other hand and then shovel in. Once small pieces have been shovelled, swap hands, pick up knife and repeat.

Some seem to use a knife to pull apart the food vs cutting it through it like a knife is meant to be used. Even in some expensive hotels too, I’d love to attend a business dinner in the US to see if it was just the chimp tea party I’m imagining.

Back on topic, my Oneida set has been going strong for 24 years since I bought my first house. Keep thinking about changing them, but they are still in pristine condition, so very little point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

Seems to be cut multiple things up, place knife down, swap fork to other hand and then shovel in. Once small pieces have been shovelled, swap hands, pick up knife and repeat.

Some seem to use a knife to pull apart the food vs cutting it through it like a knife is meant to be used. Even in some expensive hotels too, I’d love to attend a business dinner in the US to see if it was just the chimp tea party I’m imagining.

Back on topic, my Oneida set has been going strong for 24 years since I bought my first house. Keep thinking about changing them, but they are still in pristine condition, so very little point.
    I have, and it is!
    Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post

The holding-the-fork-like-a-pen thing is particularly unattractive. When the lad brings a girl home that eats like that I always have to have a quiet word.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    The holding-the-fork-like-a-pen thing is particularly unattractive. When the lad brings a girl home that eats like that I always have to have a quiet word.

I have to admit, that often - I do this.

Learned that habit flying economy long-haul flights where even having been brought up to keep elbows in - it is the only way of getting into dishes of food.

I've got Robert Welch - Stanton cutlery. Was bought small set as a gift a number of years ago and have built it up from there. They are available as single pieces from John Lewis Fenwicks etc

Super sturdy and have a really nice classic look and feel to them

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    I see your spork

and raise you one splade

It is like the spork iirc, but with what is fondly imagined to be a cutting edge on each outer tine. Cut they do not, though they make a passable fist of sectionalising a burger.
    Well that looks largely useless and I now want some....

Master
    Catering supply company, got ours from here, after using it in a restaurant. Can get an many or as few as you need.
    https://www.ascotwholesale.co.uk

Journeyman

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post
    Although looking at the price, mine are not that authentic!

Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post
    We have a cheese knife, it’s good, but not as good as cheese.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Well that looks largely useless and I now want some....
    Not at all; if you are an afficionado of a pickled onion in your Corn Flakes, it's just the job.

Not at all; if you are an afficionado of a pickled onion in your Corn Flakes, it's just the job.

How do you KNOW these things!?!

Cut they do not, though they make a passable fist of sectionalising a burger.
    I once saw that achieved with chopsticks somewhere in the Far East. Convinced me that all you ever really need are your fingers and a pair of sticks.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

How do you KNOW these things!?!
    Wait until I tell you that something tastes like shit!

Wait until I tell you that something tastes like shit!

Turn it over, lick the other side

(Postage stamp, obviously.)

Craftsman
    Stellar raglan going strong here after many years of use.