closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old Landrover series 2 / 3

Old Landrover series 2 / 3

Anyone here in to their old Landrover’s? I think now could be my time before I’m too old to enjoy and tinker. Very nearly bought one in a rush/ fomo panic this week but that passed so pressure off.

Really want a swb, and ideally soft top. Will be watching as many YouTube guides and buyers guides as I can.

Wondered if anyone been there done it, still doing it, had enough of it.

Had 3 defenders, a 2A, 3 and 90 county. I would definitely have another one if they weren’t quite so expensive and easily nicked. It’s an itch that needs to be scratched.

I've had a 1972 petrol swb and a 1971 diesel swb. My bit of advice is go for petrol. My petrol one did 20mpg however I drove it but ran very quiet and smooth with a weber carb and electronic ignition, the diesel averaged mid twenties mpg and was a noisy smoky rattly thing. The extra 5 or 6 mpg were definitely not worth it.

I think the nostalgia of wanting an old series in reality is far better than owning one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I think the nostalgia of wanting an old series in reality is far better than owning one.

Can't disagree with that - I used to love my austin champ but nowadays naaaaa too much hassle and the weather gear was, well austere :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggertech View Post
    I've had a 1972 petrol swb and a 1971 diesel swb. My bit of advice is go for petrol. My petrol one did 20mpg however I drove it but ran very quiet and smooth with a weber carb and electronic ignition, the diesel averaged mid twenties mpg and was a noisy smoky rattly thing. The extra 5 or 6 mpg were definitely not worth it.
    I agree. Both my 2a and early (pre Defender) 90 were 4 cylinder petrol. Thirsty but much less sluggish and generally a nicer drive than the contemporary diesels.

Blog Entries
    Or dig a hole in the garden and chuck money into it. Same result less hassle!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Or dig a hole in the garden and chuck money into it. Same result less hassle!
    It’s rare to find such consensus here nowadays
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Blog Entries

Perhaps it's good to let those words soak in.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Perhaps it's good to let those words soak in.
    Not that he would know, he just fixed them for a living
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Grand Master

I think this applies to lots of classic cars! Being able to do your own repair work is a big plus, can`t imagine owning a classic without doing my own work, even then it's all too easy to spend more time fixing it than driving it. Old cars have to be viewed as a hobby, which will consume time and money.

Took my 1970 MGB out last week, after being laid up all winter one of the front brakes is sticking slightly, that's an hour's work minimum to sort out. The valve stem oil seal saga looks set for another chapter, car's burning oil again after changing the oil seals for a different type. Head will be coming off again!

All part of the old car experience, fixing them can be frustrating and driving's fine in moderation.........but I hate the idea of not owning mine, or something similar.

I`ve spent many hours riding in a Land Rover and other than the fact I was getting a free ride I can`t say I enjoyed the vehicle, agricultural is the word that springs to mind. Owners love 'em, each to their own.
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 11th May 2024 at 22:26.

I appreciate them for what they are BUT that’s really about it. You have to remember unless retro fitted they don’t have servo brakes or power steering, it’s like trying to stop and steer a canal boat.
    The wipers can cope with little more than a light drizzle.
    Gear selection at best is just horrible
    On a lighter note if you’re using it daily you can skip leg days in the gym
    Prepare yourself to freeze your clackers off during the winter… the only hot air you’re getting for about 20 miles is your own breath.
    If you have reasonably good elbows make the most of them while you can, you will undoubtedly hit yourself in the right elbow about 3 times a day getting in and out.
    Wave goodbye to night driving
    You can probably also say the same about free weekends you have…. They will become a thing of the past.

Blog Entries
    I appreciate them for what they are BUT that’s really about it. You have to remember unless retro fitted they don’t have servo brakes or power steering, it’s like trying to stop and steer a canal boat.
    The wipers can cope with little more than a light drizzle.
    Gear selection at best is just horrible
    On a lighter note if you’re using it daily you can skip leg days in the gym
    Prepare yourself to freeze your clackers off during the winter… the only hot air you’re getting for about 20 miles is your own breath.
    If you have reasonably good elbows make the most of them while you can, you will undoubtedly hit yourself in the right elbow about 3 times a day getting in and out.
    Wave goodbye to night driving
    You can probably also say the same about free weekends you have…. They will become a thing of the past.

“Wave goodbye to night driving”

Courtesy perhaps of Joseph Lucas, ‘Prince of Darkness’ and the supplier of amusing 6v lighting on 60’s British bikes!
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Blog Entries
    “You can probably also say the same about free weekends you have…. They will become a thing of the past.”

Yep. Classic Land Rover ownership and owning/sailing a yacht are head-to-head when it comes to winning the ‘how did I get here, while others are having fun during the weekends?’-prize.