closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jaguar to make only SUVs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I think Jaguar lost its way a long time ago sadly, the most valuable thing about them now is the sports car heritage, once they started getting sold on to buyers who were only interested in that, the die was cast.

They’re trying to survive by building what it appears many people still want to buy.
    Just like Porsche, Audi and Maserati (to name but three), who make their money from….wait for it…..SUVs. Car manufacturers have to make cars that people want, otherwise they end up like all the deceased car companies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Longblackcoat View Post
    Just like Porsche, Audi and Maserati (to name but three), who make their money from….wait for it…..SUVs. Car manufacturers have to make cars that people want, otherwise they end up like all the deceased car companies.
    That's an old fashioned idea, making what people want. It'll never catch on.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Our Foxy is indeed an outlier. The points he makes are without a doubt relevant to him, but not to many other people in the real world.
    (Eyes glazed over) safer and better visibility.

Dacia makes a large seven-seat crossover that weighs 1205kg and has a three-pot one-litre engine. The Mk4 MX-5 weighs virtually the same as the Mk1 did 35 years ago. The i3 weighed between 1200kg and 1350kg, and that's an EV.

SUVs have become overweight and bloated, they may survive but they need to lose weight and mass and become smaller, think Skoda Yeti. They will be legislated away, the same way diesel has been and the same way higher polluting petrol cars are being taxed off the roads. You want to drive a car that's too big for the roads and weighs more than, say, 1500kg? You can pay for it in higher tax.
    "A man of little significance"

Jaguar to make only SUVs

This keeps happening, and these calling cards left, near my friends house:

I don’t like most SUVs but mainly on an aesthetic. But that’s not exclusive to SUVs. There are shed-loads of bland generic cars at the moment.
    I don’t like that combustion engine SUVs are probably not as eco as we should be making new cars - and I don’t think the current format for electric vehicles is the solution - but I keep my neck wound in as I drive a Beemer with a massive engine and an old mental turbo’d Impreza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by notenoughwrists; 8th March 2024 at 12:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Aren't high CO2 performance cars already being taxed out of existence? Manufacturers should be encouraged to make smaller, lighter, more environmentally-friendly cars, whether ICE or EV or whatever. Taxation based on weight/size would be a good starting point. It's got to start coming from somewhere if petrol sales and the taxation that goes with it all are to decrease with this planned EV takeover.

No idea who exempts Range Rovers from criticism.

Has no one really ever died in an XC90? How many people have been killed by XC90s? I know they've tried to kill me more than once, I guess there are benefits to me driving my family round in a Skoda Fabia - it's small, handles really well and is great at avoiding other people's accidents.
    The same rules apply for SUVs and performance cars so I don't see the difference. If a car is more polluting, it will be taxed more. More performance is no better a justification for more pollution than weight, so why should taxation specifically account for weight? Pollution is pollution regardless.

And not all SUVs are heavier, we're picking up a Skoda Karoq with a 1 litre engine at the weekend. It is comparable to the equivalent Skoda Octavia Estate in terms of weight, performance and space.

To a very large extent the industry and governments work tirelessly to make the market, in their interests not the people's!

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    That's an old fashioned idea, making what people want. It'll never catch on.
    What...a faster horse?

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Years ago I was tasked with planning to plan the relining of all the forecourt parking lines, first plan was binned by the GM for not enough spaces, I told him I’d need to to make the spaces smaller to fit more in, his answer, make them just big enough to get our second largest vehicle in, and only just big enough to open one door, done. The big stuff didnt sell in enough numbers to get worried about, popular stuff sells and makes our profit, I got quite a few extra spaces in, if folk couldn’t get their big car? in the used the retail park and walked across the road!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/p...ault-8bqhkmjhp

Never quite sure what to make of these articles, but there seems to be a few incidences...
    I saw this but cannot recall any others recently. Can you point me in the direction of others?
    Last edited by JeremyO; 8th March 2024 at 14:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    ... they seems to have become the default choice when many buyers would be better off with a saloon.
    Or better still hatchback. Sad to see Ford end production of the Fiesta in favor of a larger/taller model (Puma). The vast majority of journeys are local and many drivers appear to have given up trying to fit in the parking spaces at supermarkets.

Mrs H drives an SUV - claims it is so she can see through the rear and front windscreen of the vehicle in front, but we both know its an image thing really. I'll keep on in my Mini thanks.

Master
    I’ve just ordered a new electric car - ideally I’d have had an estate, but other than a really horrible MG there are no EV estates. I’ve ended up with a 2wd Nissan Ariya which is, I guess, an SUV. I could have got a Tesla Y but I despise Musk, so that was never an option.

The Ariya is 2100kg, the Mercedes it replaces is 1800kg. More, but hardly life-changingly so. The Nissan is 4” taller than the Merc, a boon to my knackered left hip.

There are larger hills to die on.

<snip>...The Ariya is 2100kg, the Mercedes it replaces is 1800kg. More, but hardly life-changingly so...<snip>
    300kg.

660lbs.

47st 2lbs.

The equivalent of almost 3 Alison Hammonds (or Maro Itojes) in your car at all times.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    300kg.

660lbs.

47st 2lbs.

The equivalent of almost 3 Alison Hammonds (or Maro Itojes) in your car at all times.
    It’s almost as if I didn’t know what 300kg was. Luckily I’m an accountant so I could figure it out.

As I say, there are bigger hills to die on.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    300kg.

660lbs.

47st 2lbs.

Would 2 Alisons and 1 Maro (whoever they are) also work?

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Do you mean the Jeremy Clarkson who has a Range Rover because he actually has a farm?
    Is this the same Jeremy Clarkson that had Range Rovers way before he had a farm? The same JC that drove them because of the warm fuzzy feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-GB View Post
    Is this the same Jeremy Clarkson that had Range Rovers way before he had a farm? The same JC that drove them because of the warm fuzzy feeling?
    Is that a chicken and egg question? Do you need a farm to get a RR, or do you get a farm after?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Or better still hatchback. Sad to see Ford end production of the Fiesta in favor of a larger/taller model (Puma). The vast majority of journeys are local and many drivers appear to have given up trying to fit in the parking spaces at supermarkets.

Mrs H drives an SUV - claims it is so she can see through the rear and front windscreen of the vehicle in front, but we both know its an image thing really. I'll keep on in my Mini thanks.
    One of the guys at works just got a Puma, that was just ease of access as he was struggling to get into his focus and looked at loads of options. The mini SUV seems to have become the norm for older folk now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    One of the guys at works just got a Puma, that was just ease of access as he was struggling to get into his focus and looked at loads of options. The mini SUV seems to have become the norm for older folk now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    For most people, a car is a tool. So it's no surprise that people will tend to move towards a car that is more comfortable to use day-in day-out.

In the same way that if you had a choice between two knives but you found the handle awkward on one and not the other - you would prefer the one you can use comfortably.