closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Decent freeview recorder?

Master

Decent freeview recorder?

Well after 19 years of paying Sky I've finally cancelled it. The only thing were going to miss is the record function that our Sky Q box gave us. Wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of a half decent box that we can use to record freeview channels (mainly BBC, ITV). Have had a quick look but I've no idea what to go for. Wanting one with inbuilt hard drive that can record in HD? We have e freeview built into the TV so don't need a freeview box as such, just one that can record (if that's how it works!).
    Any pointers will be much appreciated.

Put a WTB up, I suspect someone will have something they will be happy to gift you in exchange for a couple of quid in the FR.

Depends on what channels you watch i suppose but with so much available on demand, it's almost unnecessary to record anything these days

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Master
    Thanks, yeah it's just the Mrs and the kids likes to watch Saturday night TV. They normally record one program on ITV while watching another on BBC. Then once that's finished they jump into the ITV recording which is still being show live....if you get what I mean.

You can watch live bbc shows from the start, whatever time you switch onto it, the option to press the red button and est h from the start usually appears on screen. You really dont need to record anything any more, although the MIL still does. She has stopped using VHS now though!

Is your TV capable of recording to an external hard drive? Most TVs in the last 5-years or so are capable. The default for recording boxes used to be Humax.

Master
    Theres a good thread on AV Forums about cord cutting from Sky. https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-...tream.2484863/ Whilst not necessarily adding in recording there is info on there about how it can be done. Apple TV is the unit of choice for front ending most of the streaming handling.

How old is your TV?

Some new ones can record straight to a USB stick plugged in to the back.

Edit: just spotted that someone already mentioned it.

Master
    Must admit I really like my Youview T4000 uhd 1TB box
    Can be pick up for around 50 or less if you patient - there is a newer BT/ EE box but they are 100 plus
    It can series link record 2 while watching a 3rd - has prime, Netflix and most of the regular catch up apps

Master
    Thanks all, the TV is a Samsung QTQ80D so around 4 years old. I've no idea about these things so will have to do a bit of research. Get the idea that you can use catch-up etc but the Mrs is really wanting a box to record......so we'll be getting one😁

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    Must admit I really like my Youview T4000 uhd 1TB box
    Can be pick up for around 50 or less if you patient - there is a newer BT/ EE box but they are 100 plus
    It can series link record 2 while watching a 3rd - has prime, Netflix and most of the regular catch up apps
    Thanks Lewie, will take a look👍

Master
    The T2000 is not quite as good - I little slower - I had one for a bit when my 1st T4000 died( bizarrely water traveling down the aerial cable)
    Check FB and gumtree locally

Master
    The T2000 is not quite as good - I little slower - I had one for a bit when my 1st T4000 died( bizarrely water traveling down the aerial cable)
    Check FB and gumtree locally
    Thanks, do you need an aerial for these? Rwad that they're WiFi and don't need an aerial for my TV?

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    Thanks all, the TV is a Samsung QTQ80D so around 4 years old. I've no idea about these things so will have to do a bit of research. Get the idea that you can use catch-up etc but the Mrs is really wanting a box to record......so we'll be getting one😁
    With a Samsung of that age, you can definitely record straight onto a hard drive or usb stick. Our most modern tv is a curved Samsung (anyone remember the curved tv fad?) which must be at least six years old and the option to record or time shift comes up every time you look for more information about a programme.

Master
    I just presume you need an aerial - I use one -
    I’m pretty sure they’re not wifi

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You can watch live bbc shows from the start, whatever time you switch onto it, the option to press the red button and est h from the start usually appears on screen. You really don’t need to record anything any more, although the MIL still does. She has stopped using VHS now though!
    On my BT Freeview box it is a lot, lot quicker to start the playback of a recording than to wait for the relevant app (IPlayer etc) to load up and start playing. Also it is quick to set a whole series to record. So, I think there really is a need still to record.

I generally record stuff from the guide for the next week. I am not sure if all films are available in the apps, but you can still record them. And of course, with a recording you can fast forward through any ads, which is a major bonus.
    Last edited by Tatters; 6th March 2024 at 19:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    On my BT Freeview box it is a lot, lot quicker to start the playback of a recording than to wait for the relevant app (IPlayer etc) to load up and start playing. Also it is quick to set a whole series to record. So, I think there really is a need still to record.

I generally record stuff from the guide for the next week. I am not sure if all films are available in the apps, but you can still record them. And of course, with a recording you can fast forward through any ads, which is a major bonus.
    This ^^^ we still use a talktalk freeview recorder, it can record two different channels whilst watching a third, we've been offered a talktalk streaming box which with the addition of a USB stick we'd be able to record programs but we'd only be able to record one channel at the time of watching, like the OP we'd like to change broadband / tv provider but just streaming seams less immediate than having something available at the press of three buttons.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Thanks, yeah it's just the Mrs and the kids likes to watch Saturday night TV. They normally record one program on ITV while watching another on BBC. Then once that's finished they jump into the ITV recording which is still being show live....if you get what I mean.
    There are no suitable devices available any more unfortunately.

Please feel free to show this reply to your wife and kids.

Master
    Does anybody use a FREESAT UHD-4X Smart box? Been reading up on them and seems to be just what we're after. Plugs into the existing Sky Q dish, records, pauses etc.

Was about to say you want Freesat rather than Freeview. The Sky cables will plug straight into it and Bob's your uncle.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You can watch live bbc shows from the start, whatever time you switch onto it, the option to press the red button and est h from the start usually appears on screen. You really dont need to record anything any more, although the MIL still does. She has stopped using VHS now though!
    As above, get Smart TV and everything's on demand on ITVX, BBC iPlayer, All 4, etc.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    As above, get Smart TV and everything's on demand on ITVX, BBC iPlayer, All 4, etc.
    We have smart TV's, it's the recording part that we're after. Going to go for a UHD Freestat box.

Thanks for all the help👍

We have smart TV's, it's the recording part that we're after. Going to go for a UHD Freestat box.

Thanks for all the help
    That would also give you the ability to pause the TV and go do a wee or make a cuppa, which is a not insignificant advantage!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That would also give you the ability to pause the TV and go do a wee or make a cuppa, which is a not insignificant advantage!
    You're right there mate😁

Master
    Something like this…

https://manhattan-tv.com/freeview/ma...4r-tv-recorder

I’ve no experience of this particular box because it’s new and we have Freesat. I do like Manhattan boxes though, my parents have the older Manhattan T3-R Freeview recordable box which has been great for them since they left Sky. Maybe look at a few reviews of the T4-R before you buy.
    Last edited by oiljam; 7th March 2024 at 06:31.

Master
    Does anybody use a FREESAT UHD-4X Smart box? Been reading up on them and seems to be just what we're after. Plugs into the existing Sky Q dish, records, pauses etc.
    Its riddled with problems apparently. Im using an old Humax Freesat box which works great but Id like to upgrade. Ive steered clear of buying the UHD-4X. Id stick with Manhattan or Humax.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Its riddled with problems apparently. Im using an old Humax Freesat box which works great but Id like to upgrade. Ive steered clear of buying the UHD-4X. Id stick with Manhattan or Humax.
    Its the Which? Magazine best buy!! Guess they dont test reliability!

We also have the BT Freeview box. We record the CH4/CH5 etc stuff so can zip through the adverts that on-demand puts in, that 1 hour programme is usually about 45 mins...

I have the Humax (Freesat) HDR 1100S 1TB box and it sounds like the sort of thing you are after - assuming you still have a twin coax cable satellite dish wired through to your TV area.
    Only available used these days I think as Humax don't make them any more.

I use it with a brand new Samsung OLED TV, which has full recording facilities, but the Humax functionality for recording, series record etc is still way better than the Samsung TV for the Freesat channels. Streaming services are better and faster on the TV though.
    Available on eBay for around 110.

Craftsman

Decent freeview recorder?

Well after 19 years of paying Sky I've finally cancelled it. The only thing were going to miss is the record function that our Sky Q box gave us. Wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of a half decent box that we can use to record freeview channels (mainly BBC, ITV). Have had a quick look but I've no idea what to go for. Wanting one with inbuilt hard drive that can record in HD? We have e freeview built into the TV so don't need a freeview box as such, just one that can record (if that's how it works!).
    Any pointers will be much appreciated.
    Slightly different approach but you can pay 5pm (usually 15) for Sky TV essentials which allows you to keep using the Sky Q box with freesat (another 5 for multiroom). Its not a bad price for fully maintained box with a decent UI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mrsammyp; 8th March 2024 at 07:23.

You should be able to record on that with a USB stick in the USB port on the rear of the TV.
    You can check this by going to the programme guide, look for a future programme, and press the 'ok' remote button. It should prompt you to insert a USB stick to record the programme.
    My Samsung does and it's older than yours. Saves having another box and remote!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    You should be able to record on that with a USB stick in the USB port on the rear of the TV.
    You can check this by going to the programme guide, look for a future programme, and press the 'ok' remote button. It should prompt you to insert a USB stick to record the programme.
    My Samsung does and it's older than yours. Saves having another box and remote!
    Think my tv does too but just thing like setting up a series link is what I like
    I use the box as it also has all the apps which my tv doesnt have

Think my tv does too but just thing like setting up a series link is what I like
    I use the box as it also has all the apps which my tv doesnt have
    It gives you the option to record a series too on the USB. Select single or series to record.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    It gives you the option to record a series too on the USB. Select single or series to record.
    But my tv is not smart so no Netflix- prime catch up channels either

Master
    But my tv is not smart so no Netflix- prime catch up channels either
    This sounds like an easy play for the "I need to update the tv so I can set this up for you" for the wife/partners :-)

We bought a couple of Humax boxes several years ago. Still going strong.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57