timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dentists - tell me about it

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Chatting to another one of our customers Friday R who’s also a dentist
    He was telling me about the UDA’s and saying that he does a filling for example for 3 UDA’s that’s all he can claim despite the fact there were complications, extra time, other products used… it’s quite ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    …& no more money if he does two

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    I do really enjoy my teaching job one day a week. It’s so rewarding, not in monetary terms as I’d earn at least 3 times the salary if I did that extra day in my practice, but in the terms of me feeling that I am passing on the tips & tricks from my 40 years’ experience in general practice. It’s like passing on the baton.
    I hear you, some things like that are just so rewarding. I mentor a few people outside of work in what I used to do career wise, as there aren’t all that many of us & even though it is in my own time and pays zero, it is nice to pass things onto the new generation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I hear you, some things like that are just so rewarding. I mentor a few people outside of work in what I used to do career wise, as there aren’t all that many of us & even though it is in my own time and pays zero, it is nice to pass things onto the new generation.

Amen brother....& they SO need it.

Master
    I do talk to a good friend who took the same path & we are both astounded we used to be so green! One has a son just turned 18 and we are amazed when we thought we knew it all at that age vs how naive we see them currently, scary really.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I do talk to a good friend who took the same path & we are both astounded we used to be so green! One has a son just turned 18 and we are amazed when we thought we knew it all at that age vs how naive we see them currently, scary really.

There’s no substitute for experience…we’ve seen it all.

Master
    That's because most of them have their head up their ass and think dentistry is all about cosmetic procedures and facial aesthetics and "dental journey's"
    Forgetting more than half the population need basic dental treatment which a lot of them don't seem capable of doing.
    And as an aside lifetime nhs registration is a thing up here.
    You would actively need to deregister someone for them not to be nhs registered.

NHS dentistry is undoubtedly going to get worse without a complete overhaul and major investment.

New/young dentists are not at all interested in NHS dentistry as the likes of my peers were when we graduated - no tuition fees and a fairer system of renumeration made the NHS not just viable but in some cases lucrative - fast forward to now with some dental students graduating with in excess of £80,000 of debt and NHS renumeration and work life balance just don't align with their career aspirations.

On top of all that NHS dentistry really isn't at the cutting edge of latest innovation and treatment modalities.

…& no more money if he does two
    technically 2 UDAs, as 1 is for the examination! :P

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyhands View Post
    technically 2 UDAs, as 1 is for the examination! :P
    True...things must be bad when dentists at the NHS enamel face inadvertently make the NHS sound better than it really is. It's like subconsciously trying to justify why you keep on sticking with it to some degree despite being metaphorically repeatedly kicked in the bollx :-/
    Last edited by trident-7; 15th March 2024 at 20:28.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amalgam786 View Post
    NHS dentistry is undoubtedly going to get worse without a complete overhaul and major investment.

New/young dentists are not at all interested in NHS dentistry as the likes of my peers were when we graduated - no tuition fees and a fairer system of renumeration made the NHS not just viable but in some cases lucrative - fast forward to now with some dental students graduating with in excess of £80,000 of debt and NHS renumeration and work life balance just don't align with their career aspirations.

On top of all that NHS dentistry really isn't at the cutting edge of latest innovation and treatment modalities.
    None of my final year students have aspirations in NHS Dentistry. Typically they'll say....it's only for a year. Sad really but I cannot blame them. They'll be paying back their University fees many fold in Income Tax over their years in Private Dentistry.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    That's because most of them have their head up their ass and think dentistry is all about cosmetic procedures and facial aesthetics and "dental journey's"
    Forgetting more than half the population need basic dental treatment which a lot of them don't seem capable of doing.
    And as an aside lifetime nhs registration is a thing up here.
    You would actively need to deregister someone for them not to be nhs registered.
    Scottish NHS Dentistry does sound marginally better all round than NHS Dentistry in the rest of the UK.

Saw my NHS dentist last week - a very nice Spanish lady.

Checkup, couple of x-rays and descale for a very reasonable £25 or so. Given the option of a private scale and polish for £85 but declined…

Practice taken over several years ago by BUPA and there does seem to be investment in new equipment and general redecoration so all good!

I moved to Leicester in spring of 2021, tried to register for NHS treatment at several dentists and was told the earliest time would be at least a year.
    I have just recently been notified I have my first appointment in May.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Checkup, couple of x-rays and descale for a very reasonable £25 or so. Given the option of a private scale and polish for £85 but declined…

Practice taken over several years ago by BUPA and there does seem to be investment in new equipment and general redecoration so all good!
    Very reasonable £25, someone paid £950 for two fillings and scale and polish with Private Dentist. NHS dentist are a massive bargain.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post

Crikey - we get a NHS dentist and Spain gets passenger and Micky. Can’t be many better trades than that! 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
    Very reasonable £25, someone paid £950 for two fillings and scale and polish with Private Dentist. NHS dentist are a massive bargain.
    Generally speaking, NHS dentists book between 5-10 minutes for an examination, they'll see around £12 of the band 1 £26.80 for this (give or take a few quid, depending on area). A private dentist (Definitely not all) will more likely charge £50-60 and take around 20-30 minutes. They'll take home around 40-50% of gross, so around £20-30 for this. So per hour, the dentists are earning nearly the same. The different is, can you actually do a decent check up in 10 minutes? (or less)..... well, the minimum time I'll book is 20 minutes, but quite often have to get patients back to continue their exam.

£950 for two fillings and a clean - really depends on the difficulty of the filling, material used, time taken etc.

Some of the fillings I do, I actually make less per hour than a typical NHS dentist. Once you've assessed occlusion, isolated the tooth with the rubber dam, set up the microscope, removed the decay using detector dye, used the anatomically correct matrix system, polished and finished the filling correctly, I'm booking at least 1hour 20 minutes for this. For my basic restorative work, I charge £275/hour, so if the two fillings and the clean, mentioned before, weren't so straight forward, £950 isn't unreasonable. If, the NHS dentist is doing their fillings in a similar way, then definitely stick with them - but for £24, I'd eat my hat is they were.

I get that private dentistry isn't cheap and I know that posting on an internet forum will likely make me look like a self-righteous tosser, however I just want to clear up the differences between NHS dentistry and good, private dentistry. Trust me, there's plenty of crap private dentistry out there too.