closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car (to me) Range Rover 5.0 supercharged.. Any advice/help/tips

New car (to me) Range Rover 5.0 supercharged.. Any advice/help/tips

Hi guys,
    Just bought a 2014 Range Rover Lwb 5.0 supercharged “Overfinch”
    One of my sons school friends parents who have some very expensive cars sadly had this stolen off their drive and luckily recovered within the hour. Steering wheel had been cut to remove the steering lock but the owner wanted rid of it so I’ve took the plunge..
    Any owners/enthusiasts that can share any opinions or advice on the model/engine would be really welcomed. Never had a Range Rover of any sorts so am nervous as well as excited!
    Not sure about this “overfinch” package but apparently it’s the better of the aftermarket lot.
    5.0 petrol

Last edited by Yeti; 1st March 2024 at 20:10.

That looks awesome and I am sure it will go like a thirsty rhino.

Please let us know what insurance costs.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Gangsta!

I’d feel embarrassed just sitting in that, never mind driving it around.

Have fun

No insights I can provide, but looks great fun. Hopefully it works out for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    The 5 litre is a good unit, some coolant pipe issues ca they are plastic. I have the 575 version in my XJR.
    Is it category free?

Link to Overfinch launch: https://www.evo.co.uk/gallery/news/e...nge_rover.html

The kit looks right but those wheels look like from a later Sport:

ETA looking at 2014 LWB interior looks correct for Overfinch assuming this one is correct (currently in Autotrader)

Presume have a GHOST immobiliser or tracker on it to get insured, presume they handed over the details etc and check it's active / your details are now on it in case you need it? (you don't need to say here just so you have that to hand)

Is that a matt wrap or ppf over the black?

Presume you know MOT due in couple months etc?
    Last edited by Chicken Pox; 1st March 2024 at 19:53.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Gangsta!

I’d feel embarrassed just sitting in that, never mind driving it around.

Have fun
    Ha ha…to be fair…it’s not as bad as it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    https://www.evo.co.uk/gallery/news/e...nge_rover.html

Not an expert is that not just the standard interior rather than Overfinch?

Presume have a GHOST immobiliser or tracker on it to get insured, presume they handed over the details etc and check it's active / your details are now on it in case you need it? (you don't need to say here just so you have that to hand)

Not sure as I don’t know a thing about Range rovers or Overfinch. I will be getting a ghost, it’s £525. It is a wrap, it’s Black underneath. I might get it removed to be fair.

Craftsman
    Get one of these https://www.autowatch.co.uk/veh-sec/ghost-2-menu
    Probably the best investment you will make, I have one on my AMG

Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    The 5 litre is a good unit, some coolant pipe issues ca they are plastic. I have the 575 version in my XJR.
    Is it category free?
    No it’s not unfortunately it’s a Cat N. Stolen recovered.
    I paid £23k for it, and insurance is £3k. Hoping I’ve bought it ok. We buy any car are at £21k without the overfinch gimmicks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stooo View Post
    That looks awesome and I am sure it will go like a thirsty rhino.

£3k a year fully comp for me and the wife.

Master
    Mat Armstrong on Youtube rebuilt one, lots of footage of steerring wheel,off,on,off again,upgrades to button etc if you doing the repair yourself.

Maybe a nicer view from the side

13 mpg on an urban cycle, lol. Should put the nose out of joint of a few tree huggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    Not sure as I don’t know a thing about Range rovers or Overfinch. I will be getting a ghost, it’s £525. It is a wrap, it’s Black underneath. I might get it removed to be fair.
    https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...02310072749426

Looks nice without the wrap too

Master
    Blog Entries
    3k insurance. Bloody hell. Is that because it's already been nicked? Great vehicle and I'm sure will be great fun. I really want a decent summer so can you rev the knackers off it for me!

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    3k insurance. Bloody hell. Is that because it's already been nicked? Great vehicle and I'm sure will be great fun. I really want a decent summer so can you rev the knackers off it for me!
    I didn’t think it was too bad considering I’d heard some people won’t even insure them. Me and the Mrs so £1500 each isn’t too sad..

Il give it a go for a year if it’s a money pit it’ll be moved on. Hoping I’ve bought it right so shouldn’t lose a fortune in a year..

Quote Originally Posted by sprite1275 View Post
    https://www.evo.co.uk/news/evonews/2...nge_rover.html
    "The biggest changes are visual, with a thorough re-working of the external body panels. The front bumper has been significantly re-designed, with three large cooling intakes and LED running lights. There’s also a new rear bumper and roof spoiler, which along with the front bumper is made from hand-laid carbon fibre. Available with custom 22 or 23-inch wheels, there are three different designs to choose from.

One of the biggest aspects of the new Overfinch Range Rover is the completely re-trimmed interior, which uses high-quality Bridge of Weir leather. Two seat designs are available, one for pure comfort and style, with the other offering more sporting appeal. The hand-finished veneer is tailored to the specification of the car for a perfect match.

Overfinch can also offer tuning for the entire engine line-up, however there is no official word on how much extra power can be specified. Overfinch says that performance upgrades will be bespoke to each customer, depending on just what kind of car they want to build. Prices for the most basic Vogue model start from around £93,000.

I imagine that the bits in bold adds to it..

Enjoy OP, I'm sure Frankie of this parish will be along re expertise on LR products

That is an absolute BEAST!

Overfinch are well-established modifiers of LR and a supercharger gives you an immediate kick in the arse.

Play safe and make sure you have breakdown assist, and buy a warranty? (it's what I would do)

Killer Car - Enjoy it !!!

"Vroom vroom!"

Get it to the dealer there’s bound to be front suspension (safety recall) outstanding on it.
    Change the engine oil and filter every 6 months regardless of mileage
    There’s an earth underneath the OSF wheel arch liner that snaps off the body for a past time, causes a whole host of electrical issues. Anything else you need to know ask away

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    Get it to the dealer there’s bound to be front suspension (safety recall) outstanding on it.
    Change the engine oil and filter every 6 months regardless of mileage
    There’s an earth underneath the OSF wheel arch liner that snaps off the body for a past time, causes a whole host of electrical issues. Anything else you need to know ask away

Thank you for the heads up.. it’s arriving 10.30am in the morning.
    I’ve got to source a new steering wheel, the old one was cut through to remove the steering lock, not looking forward to that.
    Any chance you can tell me I’ve bought it well and should be covered all being well 😂.
    Seen a few similar overfinch on the auto trader for £30k plus but that’s an asking price not a sold price..

Any chance you can tell me I’ve bought it well and should be covered all being well 😂.

You are a car buying god.

You are a car buying god.
    Might need a bit more persuasion than that

If he can get it !!!

Craftsman
    I’ve got to source a new steering wheel, .
    May help
    https://www.powerfuluk.com/

Quote Originally Posted by reggie747 View Post
    If he can get it !!!
    £3k fully comp me and the Mrs…and she can’t drive for sh*t

3k is great for insurance. We pay 3k here for a model 3 and a model y. Thought it was going to be over 10k.

I know nothing about range rovers but would get a ghost immobiliser and put a ghost sticker on the back window just above where they’ll thieves normally cut a small square so they don’t waste their time or your money.

Master
    Awesome vehicle, love a good Overfinch!

Drove a friend's full fat one for a week last year & its a real hoot.

Properly swift & luxurious comfort, am sure you will love it, aside from the fuel costs but you wouldn't buy a 5.0 SC if that was a concern.

Enjoy!

Ten grand insurance. People don’t pay that for a RR surely?

OP I think it’s a beast and you’ll love it. Keep it in tip top shape and you’ll probably not lose if you sell it in a year or two.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    3k is great for insurance. We pay 3k here for a model 3 and a model y. Thought it was going to be over 10k.

I know nothing about range rovers but would get a ghost immobiliser and put a ghost sticker on the back window just above where they’ll thieves normally cut a small square so they don’t waste their time or your money.

Might need a bit more persuasion than that

You are a car buying god, and wear a nice watch.

?

Craftsman
    Out of interest how was it a Cat N if recovered within an hour? Does the owner have the option of not taking it back and claiming instead?

To be fair it’s not as bad as I was expecting when I read Overfinch. Definitely tamer than previous iterations.

Master
    Fabulous thing.
    Check out the Top Gear Merc SLK vs Overfinch drag race on you YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyons View Post
    Out of interest how was it a Cat N if recovered within an hour? Does the owner have the option of not taking it back and claiming instead?

To be fair it’s not as bad as I was expecting when I read Overfinch. Definitely tamer than previous iterations.
    Apparently insurance were called out to assess the car (the steering wheel had been cut and some panels pulled apart looking for the non existent tracker). Insurance then put the cat N marker on BUT here’s the sad part, the previous owner had stated it had a tracker to insurance, but it didn’t so they wouldn’t pay him out. He’s now kicking his self as if he knew he wasn’t getting paid out he wouldn’t have called the insurance and there would be no marker.

Apparently insurance were called out to assess the car (the steering wheel had been cut and some panels pulled apart looking for the non existent tracker). Insurance then put the cat N marker on BUT here’s the sad part, the previous owner had stated it had a tracker to insurance, but it didn’t so they wouldn’t pay him out. He’s now kicking his self as if he knew he wasn’t getting paid out he wouldn’t have called the insurance and there would be no marker.
    Hardly sad, was defrauding the insurance company. Not surprising premiums are so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Hardly sad, was defrauding the insurance company. Not surprising premiums are so high.
    Think defrauding is a bit overzealous. It was a genuine mistake as he thought it had one on as standard. Nicest guy in the world.

But surely with a tracker you have the app that you can check location on or not?

How can you get that wrong?

Plenty of nice guys do questionable stuff

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    13 mpg on an urban cycle, lol. Should put the nose out of joint of a few tree huggers.
    Euro 5 so not welcome in this here London Town 🤣

My sons Range Rover evoque was a money pit the amount of money spent to the garage on fixing the engine was insane

Master
    Fantastic, good luck with it.

All you need now is a sold gold Rolex so you can hang your arm out the window as you cruise through the High St. You may already have one from memory!

Anyway, congratulations, look forward to hearing how you get on with it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cynar View Post
    Fabulous thing.
    Check out the Top Gear Merc SLK vs Overfinch drag race on you YouTube.
    Or a very old one where I recall it was against a focus whilst towing a focus on a trailer behind it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Euro 5 is fine for petrol in London, just not diesel

Quote Originally Posted by dougair View Post
    Petrol so it is ulez compliant. Euro 6 for diesel euro 5 for petrol.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss13 View Post
    Fantastic, good luck with it.

All you need now is a sold gold Rolex so you can hang your arm out the window as you cruise through the High St. You may already have one from memory!

Anyway, congratulations, look forward to hearing how you get on with it.
    Platinum Daytona will have to suffice

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Pox View Post
    Link to Overfinch launch: https://www.evo.co.uk/gallery/news/e...nge_rover.html

ETA looking at 2014 LWB interior looks correct for Overfinch assuming this one is correct (currently in Autotrader)

The wheels on the OP’s vehicle look like genuine Overfinch which are very similar, but not the same as the Sport model you link to.

Lots of really interesting decisions in the thread, both from the OP, and the fella he bought the car from.

Blog Entries
    Petrol so it is ulez compliant. Euro 6 for diesel euro 5 for petrol.

Think it's Euro4 that is compliant level for petrol engines in ULEZ.

Quote Originally Posted by Qatar-wol View Post
    Lots of really interesting decisions in the thread, both from the OP, and the fella he bought the car from.
    As in?

Well, if you bought it from the original owner, he's lost at least £70k in depreciation over the years. He also committed something that certainly looks like insurance fraud in claiming that it had a tracker. Certainly, his insurance company thinks that's the case.

You've bravely bought a car manufactured by a company that's not renowned for its reliability. (I've picked the graph from 2017, as it would be when your car was three years old.)

Maybe your car has been meticulously maintained - both restorative and preventative maintenance - but given that the only thing that we, your readers, know about the previous owned is that he lied to his insurance company to (presumably) save money on his premiums, that might not be the case.

All this before we consider the 13mpg, the £3k insurance, and the general two-fingers at every other road user!

I hope it works out for you well, OP, and I hope to see updates. Really not meaning to kink-shame here - I understand that a watch forum is not the place to be making comments about sensible use of our money!

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupanda View Post
    The wheels on the OP’s vehicle look like genuine Overfinch which are very similar, but not the same as the Sport model you link to.
    even better news for OP

Master
    I wouldn't be able to buy/drive the OP's purchase without feeling guilty, conspicuous, wondering when it would be nicked and what the cost of the next repair would be but then I recognise I'm sensible to the point of being dull most of the time .