closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for Square G-Shock for a first time buyer

Advice for Square G-Shock for a first time buyer

So I am wanting to launch into the world of G-shocks.

Having spotted a couple in the sales section that I was tempted to buy as a watch for swimming etc, I ended up spending an enjoyable hour or so learning the history of G-Shock and the different model lines.

I pretty much determined that for a “smaller” wrist like mine, a square model would be best, and the DW-5600E seems to stand out as a top all rounder. This seems to be a great price?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-G-Sho..._1709198334163

I am not looking to build a collection (I’ve said that before) and I am not planning to wear it daily, but for those times when I would take one of my other watches off (swimming/DIY), I hate the term beater, but it feels most applicable here.

Any advice, recommendations, thoughts welcome! Or if you have one to sell I will pop a WTB post over in the sales section now ;-)

Thanks in advance.

Personally I’d buy a solar square, seems to me a feature that’s worth the extra. 5610 is the classic but other variants are available too. £88 on Amazon but you’ll get a better deal if you hold out for a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Personally I’d buy a solar square, seems to me a feature that’s worth the extra. 5610 is the classic but other variants are available too. £88 on Amazon but you’ll get a better deal if you hold out for a sale.
    Cheers - presumably solar just charges a cell inside the watch?

I swim 3 times a week with my Apple Watch. I also windsurf with it on holidays. That's for the functional bit, just in case you were planning to come back a bit later with "what smart watch?" after the Casio

Now I don't know you but I know myself and always think there is a chance other people can be like me. My foray into the G-Shock world started with this one in 2007

It was too big for my wrist but it did take me some time to realise it.

I then moved to the 5610.

Brilliant... but it grated a bit that the date format stays "American" (day/month/date) when the 5000U arrived.

Save money, go straight to the 5000U. And leave it on a south facing windowsill when you're not wearing it and it will always be fully charged.
    Last edited by Saint-Just; 29th February 2024 at 12:26.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Yes I'd always recommend a solar one as well, I've had two of them for over ten years and they're still going strong. I just keep them on a north-facing windowsill where they aren't troubled by direct sunlight.

The newer squares with the MIPS displays are very nice as well, but a bit bigger.

Get a GW-M5610U, the price is going to be more like a hundred quid (they're £99 at Argos right now), but you get all of the bells and whistles. Solar means you don't have to think about battery life, just leave it in the sun when you're not wearing it (great for an occasional beater), atomic means it synchs with radio signals daily so will always be accurate, and the most recent U model allows you to switch the date to 29-2 rather than 2-29, which is a small thing but a surprisingly nice one if you're not an American! I had a Gw-5000 for a good while, but I went back to a 5610 because I think it sits better on the wrist being a touch lighter (OK, I did switch mine onto the strap from a GW-5000, because they're softer than the normal 5610 strap). I think the 5610U is almost the perfect G.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

These (G-056) are great for a smaller wrist:

Last edited by gunner; 29th February 2024 at 12:42.

Get the GW-M5610U as mentioned above.

The G and U are the important things to look out for.

Solar powered, sets itself to the right time, has date in the correct DD/MM format, shows current time in stopwatch and countdown timer modes, is light and a comfortable size on the wrist, and can take the combi bracelet if you want one.

And for £99.99 at Argos you might as well buy a brand new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    I swim 3 times a week with my Apple Watch. I also windsurf with it on holidays. That's for the functional bit, just in case you were planning to come back a bit later with "what smart watch?" after the Casio

Now I don't know you but I know myself and always think there is a chance other people can be like me. My foray into the G-Shock world started with this one in 2007

It was too big for my wrist but it did take me some time to realise it.

I then moved to the 5610.

Brilliant... but it grated a bit that the date format stays "American" (day/month/date) when the 5000U arrived.

Save money, go straight to the 5000U. And leave it on a south facing windowsill when you're not wearing it and it will always be fully charged.
    Super thank you - and for the photos too.

Haha - yes I can see how the American date format would rankle

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    Yes I'd always recommend a solar one as well, I've had two of them for over ten years and they're still going strong. I just keep them on a north-facing windowsill where they aren't troubled by direct sunlight.

The newer squares with the MIPS displays are very nice as well, but a bit bigger.
    Looks like Solar might be the future then - thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    These (G-056) are great for a smaller wrist:

Not a fan of that style, although I see the appeal.

Is that a Caterham in the background?

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post

Solar powered, sets itself to the right time, has date in the correct DD/MM format, shows current time in stopwatch and countdown timer modes, is light and a comfortable size on the wrist, and can take the combi bracelet if you want one.

That definitely seems to tick every box - in fact I have changed the title of my WTB!
    Last edited by TheGent; 29th February 2024 at 13:08.

Craftsman
    Another vote for the GW-5000U

I like that the colour scheme on the face is neutral. Makes the watch more versatile to match whatever clothing in my book.

And when you add the Combi bracelet (version 2) to it, you probably then have the ultimate G-Shock.

If you don't mind the red outline on the face, then the 5610U is also worth consideration, (and cheaper), but again I'd get the Combi bracelet for it.

But definitely get Solar, and definitely the U versions with the updated module. Not only for the date in UK format, but also the back light is much improved, and you can configure it to come on for 3 seconds rather than 1 second for the non-U version.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post

If you don't mind the red outline on the face, then the 5610U is also worth consideration, (and cheaper), but again I'd get the Combi bracelet for it.

But definitely get Solar, and definitely the U versions with the updated module. Not only for the date in UK format, but also the back light is much improved, and you can configure it to come on for 3 seconds rather than 1 second for the non-U version.
    Yes I rather favour the red outline on the face. What is the Combi bracelet (forgive my ignorance)?

Thats great info about the U versions.
    Last edited by TheGent; 29th February 2024 at 13:44.

Maybe it is worth you hold them in hand and try them on. The 5000U is in a different league to the 5610U. Much more substantial. Which doesn’t mean it is the one you will prefer, but you should try both, and money should only come in the equation at the next phase.

Maybe it is worth you hold them in hand and try them on. The 5000U is in a different league to the 5610U. Much more substantial. Which doesn’t mean it is the one you will prefer, but you should try both, and money should only come in the equation at the next phase.
    Yes I think that might be a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGent View Post
    Not a fan of that style, although I see the appeal.
    Fair enough. It was the thinnest G for a long time, making it very easy to wear.

Is that a Caterham in the background?
    Yep, my recently departed K series Supersport.

Craftsman
    Yes I rather favour the red outline on the face. What is the Combi bracelet (forgive my ignorance)?

Thats great info about the U versions.

Basically a bracelet with clasp and micro-adjust to match the case. Comfortable and less faff than the supplied plastic band, especially if you keep your watches in a watch box (easier to get on/off the pillows)

I got mine from here :

https://www.watchway.co.uk/product-p...-band-10575397

Master
    I love a G Shock square and the GW5000U or GW5610U are both great shouts. I always wanted the Porter version of the GMW-B5000 buy very hard to come by, and price is a bit OTT, so I built my own from genuine parts. Can't go wrong with a G Shock square👍

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    Fair enough. It was the thinnest G for a long time, making it very easy to wear.

Yep, my recently departed K series Supersport.
    Yes I can see that a thin version would appeal.

Oooh nice maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by 459GMB View Post
    Basically a bracelet with clasp and micro-adjust to match the case. Comfortable and less faff than the supplied plastic band, especially if you keep your watches in a watch box (easier to get on/off the pillows)

I got mine from here :

https://www.watchway.co.uk/product-p...-band-10575397

That’s a top tip - thank you!

The 5610 for £88 I mentioned on Amazon is also the 5610U, so don’t see much reason to pay more at Argos. That said, they do come up a bit less on sales periodically.

5000 is a nice option with a few perks, but 5610 is lighter and for a first G-Shock it still gets my vote. Perfect beater than you don’t need to worry about. Either way you can’t go wrong.

Cheers - presumably solar just charges a cell inside the watch?
    Essentially yes, but the cell isn’t user replaceable I believe, but also you’ll probably never need to worry about it.

The date format is no longer an issue with the new 5610.

Quote Originally Posted by Toddy View Post
    I love a G Shock square and the GW5000U or GW5610U are both great shouts. I always wanted the Porter version of the GMW-B5000 buy very hard to come by, and price is a bit OTT, so I built my own from genuine parts. Can't go wrong with a G Shock squareðŸ‘
    That looks impressive.

Oh no do not tell me about building my own, this feels like a black hole….

The 5610 for £88 I mentioned on Amazon is also the 5610U, so don’t see much reason to pay more at Argos. That said, they do come up a bit less on sales periodically.

5000 is a nice option with a few perks, but 5610 is lighter and for a first G-Shock it still gets my vote. Perfect beater than you don’t need to worry about. Either way you can’t go wrong.

Essentially yes, but the cell isn’t user replaceable I believe, but also you’ll probably never need to worry about it.

Right - I think that has made my mind up - I will keep my eyes open for a sale or discount for a week or before pulling the trigger

Thank you all for your help!

Master
    I preferred the gw-6900 over the squares as the latter feel small by comparison.

The solar ones hold charge plenty of charge ime, providing you wear them occasionally or just leave them out, and the newer ones go to sleep so I presume that's lasts even longer. Can't fault them as a sports/diy watch, in fact I'm now after another for my son to wear whilst he sails to Australia!

Yes but it wasn't the case during my journey into G-Shock ownership ;)

After owning a few of these and many other G-Shocks I’ve concluded that these are probably the best shape, size, spec and value for money G out there.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post

Craftsman
    Do the recent solar models come with an 'auto light' function when you turn your wrist? (Apologies if its been mentioned but I can't find the details)

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    The solar ones hold charge plenty of charge ime, providing you wear them occasionally or just leave them out, and the newer ones go to sleep so I presume that's lasts even longer. Can't fault them as a sports/diy watch, in fact I'm now after another for my son to wear whilst he sails to Australia!
    Solar definitely sounds like the way forward then.

Probably the idea watch for that sailing trip!

Some of my old ones...

I think all the squares are good. It's hard to go wrong unless you pick a colour you hate. Even then, you can swap the bezels and bands (there is a 'compatibility chart' on the inter webs somewhere, showing which are interchangeable).

In summary of my own experiences:

The dark background ones ("negative display") can look in photos and in the shop under spot lighting, but are hard to read in other situations.
    The non solar ones are very slightly more legible. I think the display is perhaps slightly closer to the crystal. It's only noticeable side by side.
    The GW-5000 has a much softer strap. But the watch itself is noticeably heavier.
    There are endless special editions... it's easy to begin to collect. Be warned :D
    Don't overlook the basic DW-5600. The battery lasts years and years. It is resolutely what it is.

There is just something about it.

No, the GW-5610U doesn't have the auto light function which is a shame as I really like that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddiex View Post
    Do the recent solar models come with an 'auto light' function when you turn your wrist? (Apologies if its been mentioned but I can't find the details)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    No, the GW-5610U doesn't have the auto light function which is a shame as I really like that feature.
    ?? Mine does; rotate the wrist and it lights for 3 secs. The light duration is a configuration option, maybe the auto light function is as well, but I can’t say I’ve looked.

WRT straps you can buy straps adapters for a couple of quid and then use any 22mm strap of choice such as a NATO.

I’ve tried all sorts but I’m currently wearing mine on a Barton elite silicon which is a very nice combination in my opinion.

Update. The auto light function is enabled/disabled by pressing the top right button for 3 seconds.
    Last edited by timor54; 29th February 2024 at 17:11.

G-something-U is the way to go as others have said.

I’ll just add that if it still feels too big, Casio have folded the baby G models into g-shock so there’s a midsize square option too.

These include the GMD S5600.

The functionality isn’t as good as the ‘full size’ options but if small is what you want, that’s where you’ll find the smallest options.

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    ?? Mine does; rotate the wrist and it lights for 3 secs. The light duration is a configuration option, maybe the auto light function is as well, but I can’t say I’ve looked.

Update. The auto light function is enabled/disabled by pressing the top right button for 3 seconds.
    Yep, can confirm that it definitely does!

If the the 5610U is available on Amazon for £88, that's a decent deal.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master
    Yes it does. Press and hold down top right button for 3 seconds until LT appears on the screen.
    Last edited by oiljam; 29th February 2024 at 17:41.

I have a slim wrist and the 5610 is perfect. If you are buying from Argos, sign up for the marketing email and you will get a £5 discount voucher within a few minutes.

The strap is quite stiff but after a month or so, becomes very flexible and comfortable.

The date can be set to DD.MM on this latest version. The auto light is really good. The alarm volume is terrible. That’s the only real negative.

You are absolutely right Liam - I never knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by oiljam View Post
    Yes it does. Press and hold down top right button for 3 seconds until LT appears on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei View Post
    Some of my old ones...

I think all the squares are good. It's hard to go wrong unless you pick a colour you hate. Even then, you can swap the bezels and bands (there is a 'compatibility chart' on the inter webs somewhere, showing which are interchangeable).

In summary of my own experiences:

The dark background ones ("negative display") can look in photos and in the shop under spot lighting, but are hard to read in other situations.
    The non solar ones are very slightly more legible. I think the display is perhaps slightly closer to the crystal. It's only noticeable side by side.
    The GW-5000 has a much softer strap. But the watch itself is noticeably heavier.
    There are endless special editions... it's easy to begin to collect. Be warned :D
    Don't overlook the basic DW-5600. The battery lasts years and years. It is resolutely what it is.

There is just something about it.
    That was wonderful post - thank you so much!

Yes, I have to admit I do return to the simple appeal of the DW-5600.

Quote Originally Posted by timor54 View Post
    WRT straps you can buy straps adapters for a couple of quid and then use any 22mm strap of choice such as a NATO.

I’ve tried all sorts but I’m currently wearing mine on a Barton elite silicon which is a very nice combination in my opinion.
    That makes for a nice twist.

Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I have a slim wrist and the 5610 is perfect. If you are buying from Argos, sign up for the marketing email and you will get a £5 discount voucher within a few minutes.

The strap is quite stiff but after a month or so, becomes very flexible and comfortable.

The date can be set to DD.MM on this latest version. The auto light is really good. The alarm volume is terrible. That’s the only real negative.
    Thank you - good tip. I can get a bit of discount from Argos too, so it might be the cheapest price overall.

Thank you for the info on the strap - I remember Casio watches from Argos years ago taking a while for the strap to break in!

Thank you for the clarification on the auto light - that will certainly be a deciding factor between the DW-5600 and solar version!

​Are the adaptors metal?

Craftsman
    ​Are the adaptors metal?
    The ones I bought are some form of plastic/resin. Basically the same material and finish as the case.

Blog Entries
    Great watches & many modding options …

z

5610U and never look back.

One of the best things you can spend your cash on.

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk

This thread is making me want to get the G-Lide on tomorrow….

(G-Lide ftw, all day everyday)

Big fan of a square multi-band/bluetooth/solar on a combi, this is my grab-and-go...

...but sometimes only eight sides will do.

Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Love these watches and this thread has demonstrated to me that I need to pick up something colourful to sit alongside my 5000U!