closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Are your browser bookmarks out of control?

Are your browser bookmarks out of control?

I use Firefox and have my bookmarks on the L/H side. I've got maybe ten links that I use often and then a ton of folders listed below that I use for archive storage.

Now, when I'm finding things that I 'think' I'm going to be using/buying/watching very soon, I put those links at the top of everything.

I've currently got about sixty bookmarks that I figure I'm going to need 'soon' and so finding my regular links has become like hunting for a needle in a haystack! Anyone else find that their browser is a battle to keep tidy?

I'm terrible for opening an interesting web page in a tab and then just leaving it open for ease of future reference. I have over forty tabs open at the moment.
    Don't just do something, sit there. - TNH

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    I'm terrible for opening an interesting web page in a tab and then just leaving it open for ease of future reference. I have over forty tabs open at the moment.
    Same here, on several browsers… I might need help.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

40? Pah, amateur.

I currently have 140 tabs open on my ‘phone alone. 😊

Never really used bookmarks but my tabs are out of control. Have some open for more than a year now but I might go back to them one day and I’ll never find them via google again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    40? Pah, amateur.

I currently have 140 tabs open on my ‘phone alone. 😊
    Dread to think what mine are up to now

This all day.

Used to annoy me when Firefox crashed and I’d lose all the history, but Chrome keeps it all unless you manually delete, so you can reopen the 65 tabs after every crash. Tragic really.

It’s a mix of recipes, work windows, guitar reviews, info on dystonia and seizures, news and weather, watch forums, stupid shite, clobber, sport websites, plant and bird identifiers …. everything and anything.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Never really used bookmarks but my tabs are out of control. Have some open for more than a year now but I might go back to them one day and I’ll never find them via google again.
    I wonder how much memory you're using up with those open tabs?

About a month ago I pared down my list of Chrome bookmarks from around 2,000. Some of them had/have been around since I started using the internet back in the '90s. Don't know how many I have now...I keep adding more every day!

Master
    Start adding Tags to your bookmarks when you save them - then you can quickly filter by the tag (enter the term into the Search Bookmarks box) . You can have multiple tags separated by a comma so "watch, Rolex" would be found by searching for either term.

As for collections of bookmarks look into addons like Tabstash. You can group tabs into groups which show on the left side & then you can delete the tab until needed. This is useful for longer projects - I used it when updating a bathroom as I had a Stash for Basins, another for Baths & so on. Rather than have a million tabs open I just had them grouped in the Tabstash column. There are other tab management add-ons but Tabstash was the one I settled on.

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    I wonder how much memory you're using up with those open tabs?
    On iOS it’s probably near nonexistent, especially since anything not used for 2+ weeks is segmented into a different bucket. On a computer I do notice it though and group between chrome and safari, Firefox too if I really don’t want to restart or close.

Master
    I had this issue and the solution was Pocket. It's part of the Mozilla stable so works very well with Firefox.

I usually add to a reading list which I can mark as read / unread. Works ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I had this issue and the solution was Pocket. It's part of the Mozilla stable so works very well with Firefox.
    I've now added that to my 'must get around to looking at' list of bookmarks lol

I have hundreds of Bookmarks/Favourites but manage them in an usual way. My default browser is Edge and I use the favorites bar as you can see in the image below. Within the Favourites Management I create a folder that I place on the Favourites bar and have subfolders by topic as you can see. I also export them roughly monthly so that in the event of a major crash I can reinstate them easily.

Ah I’m the opposite to some of you, ruthless with closing tabs, can’t stand having loads open!

I don’t know if this works on Firefox, but on Chrome I have my standard set of sites that I open as standard in one folder at the top of the list. Then I can just right click->open all on that folder, without having to do them all separately.

Blog Entries
    What's a browser bookmark? I have bookmarks on Safari but they don't seem to load until I click on them.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    What's a browser bookmark? I have bookmarks on Safari but they don't seem to load until I click on them.
    Just a link basically. Firefox calls them 'bookmarks' is all.

While we are on each other's browser tips, allow me to recommend the DuckDuckGo browser. Not only is it very efficient at managing cookies without you having to work on it every time, not only does it allow you to clear your history in different ways to avoid erasing all if you don't want to, and safeguard the ones you do not want erased in a clear all (=firewall them in DDG speak) but it has the most brilliant Youtube reader that avoid any advertising.

Caveat:
    1) the above is true for the Mac version
    2) the MacOS browser is far superior (as in:feature rich) to the iOS one, even if the latter is already quite good.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    While we are on each other's browser tips, allow me to recommend the DuckDuckGo browser. Not only is it very efficient at managing cookies without you having to work on it every time, not only does it allow you to clear your history in different ways to avoid erasing all if you don't want to, and safeguard the ones you do not want erased in a clear all (=firewall them in DDG speak) but it has the most brilliant Youtube reader that avoid any advertising.

Caveat:
    1) the above is true for the Mac version
    2) the MacOS browser is far superior (as in:feature rich) to the iOS one, even if the latter is already quite good.
    Don’t know they had a browser (and that’s despite today seeing my first ad from them), might check it out thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Same here, on several browsers… I might need help.
    We could form a club !! :-)😊