closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Intraocular lens replacement

Intraocular lens replacement

I’m getting older (53 now) and my eyesight is deteriorating. Particularly my close vision. Now can’t read my phone well without squinting and more importantly I can’t admire the subtleties of my watches (or even read the time on some of them) without wearing reading glasses.

So I am looking into lens replacement and had a consultation about it this morning. The clinic in question is proposing to replace my natural lenses with Zeiss trifocal lenses. It’s a bit like a cataract operation so fairly standardised but I don’t really have to do it if there is a good chance that I’ll still have to wear glasses afterwards.

I had my eyes laser corrected about 25 years ago. This apparently means that there is about 10% chance that after lens replacement I’ll need some further corrective surgery (laser) to finish the job. But they reckon it’s still likely that they will get my eyesight much better than it would be without surgery. There is of course always a risk associated with it.

Does anyone on this wonderful forum have experience of this procedure and advice about whether there are better options than this available?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had mine done back in 2013/14, at around age 53. I'd had decent eyesight but found myself needing reading glasses more and more - to the point that I couldn't easily read the car instruments or seat numbers on planes, without reaching for the glasses.

Back then I think the replacement lenses were slightly less sophisticated, but 10 years on I have to say it's been one of the best things I've done. My eyesight is great now at all distances, and I never need to wear glasses. However, I do use a magnifier for tasks such as removing a bracelet link.

On the other hand, my wife had hers done at the same time and one of the lenses became opaque over time, which meant it needed to be replaced a couple of years ago. The new replacement lens is a monofocal (this was mandated due to the extraction process), so she now needs reading glasses. So, her overall view of the experience is less positive than mine.

Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    I had mine done back in 2013/14, at around age 53. I'd had decent eyesight but found myself needing reading glasses more and more - to the point that I couldn't easily read the car instruments or seat numbers on planes, without reaching for the glasses.

Back then I think the replacement lenses were slightly less sophisticated, but 10 years on I have to say it's been one of the best things I've done. My eyesight is great now at all distances, and I never need to wear glasses. However, I do use a magnifier for tasks such as removing a bracelet link.

On the other hand, my wife had hers done at the same time and one of the lenses became opaque over time, which meant it needed to be replaced a couple of years ago. The new replacement lens is a monofocal (this was mandated due to the extraction process), so she now needs reading glasses. So, her overall view of the experience is less positive than mine.
    Thanks. Very helpful to read your experiences. Will keep researching. I have until 17 March to make my decision.

Master
    There are a few of us who have had this type of operation on here & one thing I would say is to read up very carefully on the risks involved. I had cataracts which made the operation necessary but I'm not sure I would have elective surgery just for sight correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pointy View Post
    There are a few of us who have had this type of operation on here & one thing I would say is to read up very carefully on the risks involved. I had cataracts which made the operation necessary but I'm not sure I would have elective surgery just for sight correction.
    Thanks. I am trying to read as much as I can about the risks. Every bit of help from the informed people here on TZ is much appreciated!

Master
    Blog Entries
    After suffering from a detached retina about a year ago, I had no choice. I had to undergo a vitrectomy, ‘spot-welding’ of my retina & subsequent replacement of my lens. The result is perfect distance vision in that eye but the need for reading glasses close up. I’m so impressed that I’d consider having the other eye done.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmpf View Post
    I’m getting older (53 now) and my eyesight is deteriorating. Particularly my close vision. Now can’t read my phone well without squinting and more importantly I can’t admire the subtleties of my watches (or even read the time on some of them) without wearing reading glasses.

So I am looking into lens replacement and had a consultation about it this morning. The clinic in question is proposing to replace my natural lenses with Zeiss trifocal lenses. It’s a bit like a cataract operation so fairly standardised but I don’t really have to do it if there is a good chance that I’ll still have to wear glasses afterwards.

I had my eyes laser corrected about 25 years ago. This apparently means that there is about 10% chance that after lens replacement I’ll need some further corrective surgery (laser) to finish the job. But they reckon it’s still likely that they will get my eyesight much better than it would be without surgery. There is of course always a risk associated with it.

Does anyone on this wonderful forum have experience of this procedure and advice about whether there are better options than this available?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Considering lrs at 53 is pretty radical, I don't think I can recall anyone your age doing it. In itself that isn't a reason not to and as you have had prk or similar that's clearly what you prefer.
    If you main aim is to remove the need for glasses then yes it would be worth considering. I'd want to look very carefully at current spectacle prescriptions and all the biometry to see what sort of rx you might come out with. Lasering again on top fits, you might as well if you are going to all this trouble to remove the need for glasses.
    "But they reckon it’s still likely that they will get my eyesight much better than it would be without surgery."
    I'd really want to pin them down as to EXACTLY what they mean by this and is it what you think it means.
    There is no way you will get the same contrast perception through a multifocal lens as you would through a single vision one. You can't in contact lenses and the principle is the same.
    Ergo your "vision" won't be as "good" as it could have been.
    If they mean it will be better than not having surgery, over what time scale are the talking and well of course it will be if your vision is reduced by having a cataract.
    I'm 53 as well and my vision is fine but spectacle corrected. I dare say my contrast vision is reduced over 10 or 20 years ago, well I know it will be, but there is no surgical requirement at this time or any time soon for that reason.

I can only think of 2 people who have had multifocal implants who seem to genuinely like the vision they have. And they accept using reading glasses at times for small or poorly printed text or if they are really tired.
    Would I do it, no chance, the optics simply isn't good enough at the moment, but I'm used to wearing glasses, I don't mind it. Even with single vision implants, everyone needs reading glasses (unless they specifically arranged their post op rx to negate this in which case their distance vision will be poor but by design) and I'd say 85%+ of patients have a post op distance rx which makes a noticeable improvement in their vision.
    If you really don't want to wear glasses and you are prepared to accept some reduction in ultimate clarity of vision then it may be just what you want.
    Last edited by DavidL; 26th February 2024 at 21:46.

I am glad to read DavidL considerate advice. I’ve worn glasses roughly from puberty (short sighted) and time doesn’t improve as much as I may have thought it would, as I have added astigmatism to the original issue. I read without glasses (phone or book) but need the glasses to read a monitor or anything further.
    It’s frustrating sometimes as I cannot wear the sunglasses I like without contact lenses, and when I do I must have reading glasses nearby as I can’t read my phone anymore.

Yet while I sought more info on what the different surgical options were, I very quickly decided that my vision was not broken and hence did not need surgery to fix what a pair of lenses on a frame fixed perfectly.

If there was a genuine reason to go under the knife (cataract or detached retina for example) I would consider it. But at almost 65 I’d rather hold onto the bird I have in my hand rather than try to grab the 2 in the bush.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thanks to DavidL and Saint-Just for taking the time to write your thoughts. I really do appreciate it and will consider things carefully. I really am undecided on this one right now.

Journeyman
    i work in ophthalmology and the dozen consultants I work for all wear glasses here, they wont even wear contacts, though they do offer the service privately

Multifocal toric contact lenses might be worth a try.

I've been using them for several years, and although they're a compromise in terms of ultimate visual acuity, they work well enough for me at all distances, so I've no need of reading glasses, prescription sunglasses, etc.

Feel free to PM if you'd like more info.