closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tudor Lost Its Sparkle?

Tudor Lost Its Sparkle?

Seems like it was only a year or two ago when you could move for threads all things Tudor. New releases, unobtanium new releases and over-list prices on SC.

Now, I don’t see much chat and stuff sticks around on SC. Seems like the hype if thankfully finished for now. Throw in their not so bullet proof watches.

Master
    I assumed that the interest was influenced by the lack of access to Rolex models. That may be changing slowly with a knock on effect on demand for Tudor.

If we're going to list brands people are talking less about then you might as well list every brand there is. Clearly the market is down and people are less willing to buy watches in general.

Craftsman
    A couple of weird threads started there man

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andybaird22 View Post

There could have been several others, including all that Snoopy sh1t that went on ad nauseum, only to completely disappear when prices went south.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    There could have been several others, including all that Snoopy sh1t that went on ad nauseum, only to completely disappear when prices went south.
    True dat

Isn’t it just an overall slowdown in interest (purchase intent) in the watches that is driving this, not just a lack of interest in Tudor?

Master
    Indeed, someone’s feeling provocative!

That said there’s grain truth in it, both Tudor and GS have received a huge amount of attention as brands that were on the move over the last decade or so, releasing entire new collections. Similarly Omega and IWC reinventing themselves earlier on, and at one point B&R appearing out of nowhere. That pace of change can’t continue indefinitely, though GS aren’t slowing down much. As far as I can see the lion’s share of the attention goes to Rolex, Omega, PP, VC, AP, Grand Seiko, Seiko, Tudor, IWC and maybe Nomos, with a few other brands in the runner up category, and some rarely mentioned at all. So both Tudor and GS have joined a fairly select group, through varying combinations of novelty, marketing and quality. Tudor may have to release something pretty tasty this year to keep it going though, and they are burdened with a, let’s politely say, difficult brand name.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Seems like it was only a year or two ago when you could move for threads all things Tudor. New releases, unobtanium new releases and over-list prices on SC.

Now, I don’t see much chat and stuff sticks around on SC. Seems like the hype if thankfully finished for now. Throw in their not so bullet proof watches.
    I was in Goldsmiths Fort Kinnaird a couple of weeks ago (coincidentally booking in a Tudor for warranty repair) and they had the entire range available and FS. Chronos, gmt opaline, the new MN's, all pelagos etc.
    I suspect that easy availability in shops and the ole 0% finance is nixing a lot of the pre owned sales.

Master
    I bought an S&G a year ago or so and was interested in a gmt, but over the last year I find I now view them to be little more than clones of their overpriced cousin. If I want a good clone I can buy a lot cheaper from the myriad of other contenders that offer lookalikes and that provide similar build quality. I'm now more in to something that has a little more individuality.
    Last edited by redmonaco; 26th February 2024 at 20:39.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I assumed that the interest was influenced by the lack of access to Rolex models. That may be changing slowly with a knock on effect on demand for Tudor.
    I would not swap my Tudor watch for any Rolex watch.

Sekonda, eh, advertised on the telly one day, national shame the next, all flesh is grass etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    I would not swap my Tudor watch for any Rolex watch.
    That’s a big claim I’m not a expert in Tudor or Rolex but ain’t all the Tudor designs pretty much based off the Rolex

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Balance wheel View Post
    That’s a big claim I’m not a expert in Tudor or Rolex but ain’t all the Tudor designs pretty much based off the Rolex
    They’re a lot cheaper & more aligned with the original concepts though

For me, the issue with regard to Tudor is a QC one (or rather, the lack of QC at an appropriate level for the price point).

Oh, and just to add, I often find them too large and slab-sided to work for me.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th February 2024 at 20:29.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have an original Ranger its a design I like,its reliable and it looks good.

There is no Rolex watch that I desire other than a Milsub mainly becuase it looks more like a SM300 to me and looks right.

For some reason I dont like the designs and would be embarrased having a Rolex on my wrist.

I hate all the nonsense that goes with the brand.

I like my Tudor watch its just how it is.

In one word, no.

Tudor Lost Its Sparkle?

If you want a luxury watch for whatever reason, and the amount of money you want to spend is £3-4000, which by the standards of most people is a massive amount of money, then they are about the only choice, as long as you get on with that style. You could get a new GS quartz for similar, something I like as a watch-nerd, but the wider buying public won't.

There are two epochs of Tudor, pre 1995, when there was significant shared designs, cases, bracelets, crowns, bezels with Rolex, and then the 2010 onwards with no shared elements, but with significant heritage inspiration. Modern Tudor owns the £3000-4000 segment, and they are also the test bed for design elements that conservative Rolex won't risk playing with. Rolex's titanium Yacht-Master and leftie GMT maybe the output of Tudor's testing.

I'm not sure any of the modern stuff does it for me. I want to like the Black Bay Pro very much, it's all perfect from the front, then the side profile shows what Tudor really think, i.e it was good enough, and they could stop there rather than do their best. Much as I like the BB58, I think its retro-inspired looks will date as the obsession for looking vintage passes. The Blue 79030 may benefit from a different crown, crown guards and a non-faux riveted bracelet, however that starts to look a bit like a Submariner, something I doubt they will go back to. The BB Chrono has some some strong basic elements, then throws it all away with the hand-set, and unreadable hands on the white dialled model. I would like to see a different handset and to remove it from the Black Bay line, but then there are rumours that a Big Block like watch will return.

I think quite a lot of TZ purchases were an attempt to boost spend to get the Rolex that was actually wanted, until the realisation dawned that it wasn't going to work, and the watch wasn't a keeper.

Outside of TZ land and Rolex gaming, Tudor are doing just fine

Dave
    Last edited by helidoc; 26th February 2024 at 23:10.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The FXD models are in a class of their own.

Maybe not the fan fare around them from a few years ago. Most of the watch press seemed to have turned to loving Tag Heuer Glassbox range.

I like Tudor & cannot wait to see what they offer at W&W24. Generally most of their offerings have something I like.

I do like Rolex and understand their approach to both Tudor and themselves, think a Submariner 14060m 2 liner could easily be my only watch. However I’m not paying what RRP & I generally love my BB58. It ticks a lot of what I like in a watch & has some sentimental value.

Did handle a new sub recently and whilst stunning in the flesh, it did feel very big & very shiny. Slightly taken aback & I wouldn’t swap my BB58 for one (even though I know it’s a better watch).

No major QC issues with mine, but I did get some of the hate for their slab sides they have. I do like the hands & prefer them to the mercedes hands which seem to homaged to death.

Personally think they excel at their price point very well. Longines are coming for them & potentially Tag (but feel they need ditch their reliance on Selitta). Maybe Bremont will according to their new CEO.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    The FXD models are in a class of their own.
    By that you mean the bezel lume doesn’t fall out.

Tudor Lost Its Sparkle?

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    Personally think they excel at their price point very wellTZ-UK mobile app
    The premium features on Tudor watches, such as screw link, micro adjustment, ceramic bezel etc (which some Tudor watches don’t have) can easily be found on sub £1k watches from other brands.

Not sure what that £4k is buying apart from a whole heap of marketing. Oh, and that brand ambassador slut and media whore, Beckham.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 26th February 2024 at 23:37.

I don’t have a Tudor at the moment but wouldn’t rule out another. IMO they’re leagues ahead of a general £1k watch but overpriced at RRP. They are deliberately handicapped vs their big brother but hopefully the slab sides are dealt with this year.

The premium features on Tudor watches, such as screw link, micro adjustment, ceramic bezel etc (which some Tudor watches don’t have) can easily be found on sub £1k watches from other brands.

Not sure what that £4k is buying apart from a whole heap of marketing. Oh, and that brand ambassador slut and media whore, Beckham.
    That's someone's mother you're talkng about. Give your head a wobble.

Surely all luxury brands is pretty much marketing. I reckon outside WIS the general public would not know or buy a micro brand, if that’s who you mean by sub £1k. I was more looking at its competitors - Breitling, Tag, Longines, Omega, etc. The £3-4k price segment they’ve pretty much nailed.

Ha your jealous of Beckham doesn’t come through at all.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney View Post
    That's someone's mother you're talkng about. Give your head a wobble.
    *father

Master
    I used to think Beckham was a terrible brand ambassador as he completely put me off the brand. However with hindsight I realise he and Lady Gaga were doing their job perfectly. It’s as if Rolex were politely but firmly saying, ‘No Sir, those watches are not meant for you, perhaps Sir would like to spend considerably more on a Datejust.’
    Last edited by Itsguy; 27th February 2024 at 10:56.

Craftsman
    I was on the list for a year for the panda BB chronograph . When I got it I was thrilled. However I find myself wearing it less and less.

Not sure if my taste has changed, but it feels too big and too thick now. Previously it didn’t bother me as I have a relatively large wrist.

So beginning to wonder if I got suckered into the hype at the time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Linc View Post
    Not sure if my taste has changed, but it feels too big and too thick now. Previously it didn’t bother me as I have a relatively large wrist.

So beginning to wonder if I got suckered into the hype at the time.
    Perhaps 2024 just feels different. Fancy watches make sense when times are good and life’s a party. I’m not sure anyone’s feeling like that just now. Big and bold watches in particular may seem out of place, when bargain hunting in Aldi or looking over your shoulder nervously in Soho. My tastes tend towards the subtle and easily hidden this year.

Journeyman
    Have considered these in the past, but will play the long game with my Rolex AD

Master
    Modern Tudor? Perhaps, a little, but couldn’t the same be said for the majority of modern watch offerings from a whole host of different brands?
    Vintage Tudor is a different story [imho anyways] and they retain the ‘kudos’ they’ve enjoyed for decades now. YMMV

I think Tudor has hit a home run with the BB54. The rest of the range I find Meh 🫤 but the BB54, quality, classic, heritage, vintage, modern build quality,, great value. Perfect watch to wear and enjoy and not be scared to wear.

Of the current range, I only really like the Pelagos.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I think they are doing their job very well.
    Yes, micro brands will give you more spec for less money, but this is a genuinely big brand, and Tudor gives you more than many smaller brands for the money.
    Personally I think Tudor is a master stroke for the Rolex company.
    Rolex have enticed people like Omega further and further up the price scale (and to be fair, Omega gives more new tech than almost every other brand for the money), but then pitched Tudor firmly underneath them, keeping market share from them on both sides.
    I do find it slightly frustrating that Tudor teases us all with better and better models each year, without actually producing the ones we really want.
    Of the modern Tudor I have had an ETA Pelagos, Pelagos FXD and BB GMT. The FX is truly excellent (and the only one of the 3 I still own), and will only be replaced if they do a true sub update, which I think they eventually will release, maybe for the Sub's centenary in 2054 or so.

Journeyman
    I had seven Tudor models not so long ago but am now down to 3 ,with two of those to be moved soon enough.Only one I will keep is the all blacks edition chrono only because it’s hard enough to get .I waited over a year for the panda chrono but sold it within a couple of months.

There are hindered far too much by the big brother imo , features such as fake rivets on bracelets so that they look different to an oyster braclet , slab sides so that it’s not as thin as Rolex sports models .When I bought my first one which was the gmt I paid 4k for it , had an OP been available at the then price of €5800 I would of got that instead.Im sure some prefer Tudor but the vast majority will pick a Rolex now they are more available

Craftsman
    I have a Tudor BB58 925. I have quite a few watches but would consider it to be the best potential one watch candidate that I own. Great timekeeping, good water resistance, not too big so works as a tool/dress watch very well, slightly understated overall appearance. And it's a modern watch made of silver, which to me is very quirky cool. I don't see any gloss coming off the brand outside the general present market malaise.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I’d be very interested if they brought out a production big block.
    I have a mn that my dad pilfered for its legibility as he’s almost blind. It’s away for warranty repair at the minute as is running at -35 for no apparent reason (as in he’s not dropped or hit it)
    Had the panda and liked it, had a gmt and liked that too - never had the date issue.

I think a big block is likely either this year or in the next one or two.

https://monochrome-watches.com/intro...ture-movement/

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I think a big block is likely either this year or in the next one or two.

https://monochrome-watches.com/intro...ture-movement/
    Rat, drainpipe!

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Rat, drainpipe!
    Me too I think!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by size11s View Post
    I have a Tudor BB58 925. I have quite a few watches but would consider it to be the best potential one watch candidate that I own. Great timekeeping, good water resistance, not too big so works as a tool/dress watch very well, slightly understated overall appearance. And it's a modern watch made of silver, which to me is very quirky cool. I don't see any gloss coming off the brand outside the general present market malaise.
    Big fan of the 925 I miss mine.

Just as an aside - I love the fact that the Big Block is named (with fond appreciation) for its bulk, something that has become (less favourably) "slab-sided", when wishing to denigrate the others n the Tudor line (the BB for instance)
    We are a fickle bunch

Master

Tudor Lost Its Sparkle?

NO

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    NO

+1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by carlt69 View Post
    +1

Journeyman
    Their design contradicts my emotional rhythm.

Never liked the inelegant slab sided cases. They should finesse their cases IMO.

Master
    Blog Entries
    They hit a purple patch for sure a couple of years ago with the Pro and BB58 etc but all things in the watch world go off the boil (apart from Daytona's).

It's odd that I really like almost every model Tudor make but there is one deal breaker for each model, like thickness, diameter or hands that look like sex toys etc

Quote Originally Posted by pete-r View Post
    They hit a purple patch for sure a couple of years ago with the Pro and BB58 etc but all things in the watch world go off the boil (apart from Daytona's).

It's odd that I really like almost every model Tudor make but there is one deal breaker for each model, like thickness, diameter or hands that look like sex toys etc
    This. 100%.

I've tried a few. They tend to be on the thick side, but the current Pelagos 39 I am really enjoying. It's a great size and wears nicely, I like the look of the non shiny titanium and it does everything I need, with a solid movement-on the secondary market it costs about 1/3rd of a submariner. I use it as my "sports" watch-cycling/garden/windsurfing and it absorbs that very well.