closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Formex Essence - rate it or hate it?

Formex Essence - rate it or hate it?

I only learnt about Formex this weekend. They seem more like an independent than a microbrand, with apparently very high manufacturing standards.

They have a patented case suspension system which gives some of their watches a distinctive look - but is this a solution to a problem that doesn't exist?

I'm most interested in the Essence 39, which has an Aqua Terra vibe:

https://formexwatch.com/collections/essence-thirtynine/

With a COSC Sellita SW200-1 and a bracelet with a patented micro adjust system, it seems like good value in todays market.

So what do we think - are they an underrated brand? I'm keen to hear your views, especially if you own (or have owned) a Formex.

Thanks, I missed that one - not many responses though. I guess they aren't that popular on here?

I like the look of the essence too, though I’d like to try the 41mm carbon model. I’ve had an eBay search alert on it for ages but they never seem to come up in the UK.

I seem to remember EoS has a 43mm. He may be able to comment.

Master
    I'm on the fence between the reef and the essence. Also dithering sizewise...

They look distinctive and very well built to me. The new essence looks so much nicer than the old version too.

I'd probably prefer the reef as used to a bezel but worry that it seems a bit slack on the YouTube videos I've seen

Apprentice
    I have the essence 39 blue dial and rate it very highly. For me, it's a great combination of form and function. Fantastic dial, bracelet, cosc movement, kind of like wearing a sports car on the wrist. The case suspension effect is subtle, but does actually help with comfort when being more active. Here's a couple of photos:

Quote Originally Posted by Solbor View Post
    I have the essence 39 blue dial and rate it very highly. For me, it's a great combination of form and function. Fantastic dial, bracelet, cosc movement, kind of like wearing a sports car on the wrist. The case suspension effect is subtle, but does actually help with comfort when being more active. Here's a couple of photos:

I originally went for the larger case when the watch was launched but didnt get on with it and found a used blue dial 39 COSC on Ebay at a bargainish price and that fits the bill plus I'm less concerned about it getting the odd knock or scratch. As stated above its a well made and good looking watch - personally I dont feel any benefit from the suspension case design but it does no harm and is a bit different. I did own the diver model that I bought new but again to my eyes it didnt carry the larger case size very well so I moved it on which was a shame because they are a bit different from the usual diver crowd.
    Keith

Master
    Blog Entries
    The case suspension effect is subtle, but does actually help with comfort when being more active.
    Would be interested if you could elaborate on this, as I hadn’t realised it was something you’d be able to feel.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullbreakfast View Post
    Would be interested if you could elaborate on this, as I hadn’t realised it was something you’d be able to feel.
    You can feel the case flex slightly upwards when bending the wrist in a downward direction and returning to the original position when the wrist is flat. It prevents the watch feeling too tight against the wrist. As I said it's only a subtle movement, and certainly not a make or break feature, but pleasing when experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    ... I seem to remember EoS has a 43mm. He may be able to comment.

You remember (mostly) correctly. I have the 41mm carbon/ceramic model, with the LE meteorite dial. Can't really add a lot more to what I posted in the other thread - it's a ridiculously good watch for the money, very well made, light as a feather and extremely comfortable. The movement continues to be astoundingly accurate - Formex's claim to regulate it very carefully is clearly no hyperbole. I would also highly recommend their straps with the exceptionally clever clasps, too - it's definitely one of the brand's USPs. Had mine a year now and there's not the slightest trace of wear-and-tear on it anywhere. Formex themselves were excellent to deal with, helpful, great comms, and no hidden extra costs.

The only flaw of the particular variant I own is the utter lack of contrast between dial, hands and indices. I was blinded by wanting a meteorite dial, with hindsight I should have gone for a darker dial finish: no criticism of Formex here, just me not thinking things through!

Master
    Blog Entries
    You can feel the case flex slightly upwards when bending the wrist in a downward direction and returning to the original position when the wrist is flat. It prevents the watch feeling too tight against the wrist. As I said it's only a subtle movement, and certainly not a make or break feature, but pleasing when experienced.
    Thanks - good to know. I do feel that their approach to engineering innovation makes them a cut above most microbrands out there, and it’s nice that in this case it’s actually tangible when wearing the watch.

Master
    I have been looking at the 43 blue dial for a while stunner to say the least on my list for 2024.

I've never tried it. Is it as good as Brut 33?

Master
    Just about to buy from Serious watches (I've used them a few times and they have always provided outstanding service) , as they deduct EU VAT when shipping to UK and when we pay incoming VAT the money stays in UK AND it works out cheaper than buying from UK AD!!

I really like the Essence and the REEF and will probably go for a REEF

Master
    Just ordered a black/black Reef from Serious Watches. Saved myself nearly £200 over UK dealer!! :0)