closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Travel and Pre-existing conditions - one off anxiety?

Travel and Pre-existing conditions - one off anxiety?

I am seeking to buy travel insurance.

They mention pre-existing conditions.

I had treatment for anxiety - no drugs, just CBT which was related to a particular period of stress around my home.

I am not on any drugs at the moment nor in any treatment.

Am I correct that this is not a pre-existing condition.

I have had no other treatment or similar therapy in the past.

thanks

Doesn’t sound like one especially if it is effectively cured and you are no longer under consultation, but try reading the small print - it might give some pointers.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

No - it isn't.

Don't mention it.

CBT? (to me that is Compulsory Basic Training)

LOL - cognitive behaviour therapy it was only 5 or 6 sessions.

thanks for the feedback, at this rate I will not want to go to the doctors at all if I want to travel the next few years, sigh

Well I’d say it’s only relevant if you put in a claim for a related event.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    Well I’d say it’s only relevant if you put in a claim for a related event.
    Absolutely wrong answer. Think Ryan on here had a bad 200k experience when travel insurance didn’t pay up. If you have a claim they may well trawl your medical history so I’d bend over backwards to disclose

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Absolutely wrong answer. Think Ryan on here had a bad 200k experience when travel insurance didn’t pay up. If you have a claim they may well trawl your medical history so I’d bend over backwards to disclose

I was about to say exactly this!

If you don't mention you had treatment for anxiety it may invalidate your entire policy as they may have charged more had they known as your risk profile would be higher.

State it, you'll be asked if you are still receiving treatment, have you been hospitalised recently etc and obviously you'll say no and your premium will increase by only about 50 pence or whatever but you do need to state it even if it won't make much difference to the price you pay.

Even if you declare it, it will have a negligible impact on cost.

I have declared it and the difference is £13 and not worth the risk of not declaring it. thanks all

I had to get ‘Special’ insurance because I had a Hemopneumothorax 8 weeks before my holiday. My recollection is that it was about twice the normal price. So not that much money really.

Oops, only noticed the OP’s reply after posting.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    No - it isn't.

Don't mention it.

CBT? (to me that is Compulsory Basic Training)
    In other circles it’s c**k and balls torture.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post

Well, I’m not convinced it’s the wrong answer. There are obviously a number of personal factors that would need to be looked at (was it diagnosed and recorded as a definite diagnosis; how long ago, etc. etc.), along with policy wording etc. but in general… although not travel insurance, one company I am a board member of provide medical cover for existing conditions, if they are advised. We would not exclude other “irrelevant” factors to the claim if they weren’t advised and had no part in a claim. I’m sure lots of insurers are looking for reasons not to pay.

The op has obviously disclosed and got appropriate cover, so it’s a moot point on their policy, and the best option is open and honest.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have to have a certificate with my insurance now naming all my woes that aren’t covered.

About the only thing I am covered for nowadays is stubbing my toe.

Even so I talk to the insurance company to make sure they have the info they want each renewal or you won’t be covered.

Quite simply ask them.

Craftsman
    Been down this road with a cardiac condition. Basically, our annual travel/dive insurance broker told us that anything you've had diagnosis and/or treatment for previously is not covered if it recurs while travelling. However, everything else is covered if not linked to (in my case) cardiac. Hope this helps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ALindsay View Post
    Basically, our annual travel/dive insurance broker told us that anything you've had diagnosis and/or treatment for previously is not covered if it recurs while travelling. However, everything else is covered if not linked to (in my case) cardiac. Hope this helps.
    That is quite simply not true. As long a condition has been disclosed and accepted by the insurer then it is covered.
    If disclosed and then stated as an exclusion then obviously not covered.

Best to disclose absolutely everything.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by craig1912 View Post
    That is quite simply not true. As long a condition has been disclosed and accepted by the insurer then it is covered.
    If disclosed and then stated as an exclusion then obviously not covered.

Best to disclose absolutely everything.
    Whilst I didn't actually say don't disclose (we have on the proposal). Our insurer will not cover us for anything medically related we've disclosed, or they discover was pre-existing in the event of a claim. Sounds like your's takes a different attitude to risk.