closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Grand Seiko Snowflake SBGA211

Journeyman

Grand Seiko Snowflake SBGA211

Hi All,

I’m now listing after a Grand Seiko Snowflake SBGA211….. someone talk me out of it!

It seems to be relatively painless process to bring them in from Japan and at the same time save a fair chunk of cash, even when factoring in VAT. I reckon about £4400/£4500 once vat taken in account. List price is £5800 here in the UK now.

I was toying with an Omega Seamaster, but I’m finding the allure of the overall finishing on the GS, and also that they aren’t as common a sight, is a big draw I think GS produce about 40,000 units a years, vs 1.5/2 million of Omega.

Any big GS fans here? I know there’s a few of you!

Master
    It's a watch I never tire of, the finishing is superb, and the contrast of the slightly darker sense from the titanium with the fresh white of the dial I find endlessly pleasing. And the mesmerising sweep of the seconds hand.

I've owned a lot of watches including quite a few GS and it's still one of my favourites.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Senninha View Post
    It's a watch I never tire of, the finishing is superb, and the contrast of the slightly darker sense from the titanium with the fresh white of the dial I find endlessly pleasing. And the mesmerising sweep of the seconds hand.

I've owned a lot of watches including quite a few GS and it's still one of my favourites.
    Thanks for the reply!

went to see one earlier today and totally agree. I’ve been on Chrono24 all evening and it’s clear there’s significant savings to be had by importing from Japan.

Very close to pulling the trigger!

Thanks again
    Mike

Master
    I have the Skyflake (pale blue) version. Superb watch. One of my favourites.

Master
    You’ll definitely find them way cheaper in Japan, especially right now as yen is so weak. Older models (SBGA011) coukd be £3k or less, even factoring U.K. tax and duty. Exceptional value.

I’ve bought GS from Japan at a great saving and still with the full 5 year warranty. I would do so again without hesitation, particularly as it avoids unsatisfactory haggling with the AD

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I’ve bought GS from Japan at a great saving and still with the full 5 year warranty. I would do so again without hesitation, particularly as it avoids unsatisfactory haggling with the AD

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply. How does the warranty work? Was it already activated, or did you need to sort that?

Also, do you mind sharing which dealer you used?

Thanks
    Mike

Sure

I used a company called Happy Time in Hiroshima, but via Chrono24.

I’ve posted on it previously, but:
    Messaged over the weekend
    Posted Monday
    Arrived Wednesday after paying the FedEx bill

The international warranty was activated the day it shipped.

The only downside is that the GS9 club is region locked to the point of sale, so you do t get invited to UK GS9 events.

D

Master
    Why did I read this thread? I can resist a snowflake but the price of the White Birch from Japanese sellers is really testing my self-control.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Here you have some inspiration pics I have made.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/tgsf.htm

Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    Why did I read this thread? I can resist a snowflake but the price of the White Birch from Japanese sellers is really testing my self-control.

How much does it work out to? I love my Snowflake but the case design on the White Birch is amazing..

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    If you don't want one, focus on the lack of a micro-adjust clasp and a bracelet that might never feel just right as that's what works for me!

One on eBay at the moment for a very tempting £3.5K

No affiliation with the seller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176234623...mis&media=COPY

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    How much does it work out to? I love my Snowflake but the case design on the White Birch is amazing..

Sent from my SM-F946B using Tapatalk
    Slightly under £6k with taxes

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    If you don't want one, focus on the lack of a micro-adjust clasp and a bracelet that might never feel just right as that's what works for me!
    Usually the issue is failure to adjust the bracelet properly due to being used to Rolex style bracelets and not understanding the system. With combinations of the two shorter links, which are 2/3 of a full link, you can adjust the bracelets to within 1/3 of a link, about as fine as you could expect from micro adjustment, and better than you’ll get from some other bracelets, eg AP Royal Oak. If it’s not being fitted for you in the shop then it can certainly be a PITA finding the right fit and clasp position, and it requires some maths (eg 1/3 up = minus one full link and plus two short links). The tiny screws are also fiddly and require the right tools. However, once mine have been correctly adjusted, they’ve been the most comfortable bracelets I own from any brand, all year round, and have never needed touching again.

Sorry OP I was supposed to be talking you out of it, but it’s hard. They’re lovely watches and wear surprisingly well for the size. The new 37mm 9F with a snowflake dial might be an interesting alternative, but I wonder if the larger snowflake dial on the spring drive plus the smooth second hand means more to enjoy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Usually the issue is failure to adjust the bracelet properly due to being used to Rolex style bracelets and not understanding the system.
    Glad you get a great fit as they're lovely watches but I don't. I understood how the different size links work but it never felt like the same degree of adjustment as a micro-clasp and it's definitely not adjustable on the fly which I like. The argument that an adjustable clasp would be too large makes no sense when IWC manage it perfectly well.

I'm definitely in the you can resist camp until they step up their clasp offerings.

If you'd rather have the security of buying from a UK AD then a discount of 20% should be achievable.

My Snowflake is my favourite, most comfortable watch by far and the bracelet is a perfect fit.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    Glad you get a great fit as they're lovely watches but I don't. I understood how the different size links work but it never felt like the same degree of adjustment as a micro-clasp and it's definitely not adjustable on the fly which I like. The argument that an adjustable clasp would be too large makes no sense when IWC manage it perfectly well.

I'm definitely in the you can resist camp until they step up their clasp offerings.
    FWIW I’ve found the final fraction of size adjustment comes from the position of the clasp, as moving it round the bracelet in one direction or the other very slightly changes how it sits against the tendons of the wrist, making the difference between close and perfect. But it’s certainly a bit of a faff and I’ve tried many combinations to get the best possible fit, on several different sized GS. Arguably they could just offer an optional alternative like the IWC one, which doesn’t look quite as slick as the original seamless butterfly but is better than a bracelet that doesn’t fit at all. The micro adjusting clasp GS have on some sports watches looks a bit clunky though, so if that’s the alternative I’m sticking with the current system.

Having heard terrible things about GS straps, the reality was it was very straightforward to resize and get a perfect fit. The bracelet is very comfortable, and I appreciate a small and discrete clasp.

My wrists don’t seem to swell, so it’s set and forget for me.

I don’t wish for a less discrete clasp but with micro-adjustment.

Dave

Craftsman
    I’ve also got a Snowflake and definitely wouldn’t talk anyone out if it.

As usual, Jocke has it nailed with beautiful pictures.

The only minor downsides for me are the lack of lume and on-the-fly bracelet adjustment but both are just that: minor.

Everyone mentions the bracelets on GS, but it is possible to adjust to within 1-3mm depending on 2 (the standard number included) or 3 half links.
    It’s never going to rival the convenience of something like the newest IWC bracelets, but it’s fine.
    With the majority of my watches, I don’t find myself needing to adjust the bracket regularly; perhaps a slight adjustment for winter.

Note that the Snowflake, being titanium uses pin and collar on the links which can be adjusted with just a springbar tool if you set your mind to it. No tiny screws to deal with unlike the steel bracelets (admittedly the collars aren’t exactly big), but if you’re careful you can keep them in the link as you adjust things.

Master
    I have the SLGA021 and its a stunner. Honestly the case, the index, hands. The finishing of the movement is very unique, reminds me of more independent watch brands with that frosted finish, and the 5 day PR doesnt hurt.

Just note however that if you buy your GS from Japan, you will NOT be eligible to join the GS9 club in the UK. Not sure if you care about that sort of thing but when I lived in Tokyo, I joined the GS9 club there and they would have events, lottery to join factory tours etc.

Just gorgeous

I love mine. Many new and nice GS models out there but the snowflake is the original one for me. I got mine via solo Japan in Spain. Based in the Netherlands myself so not sure how that works out for the UK nowadays but my deal was effortless.

I didn’t want to start a new GS thread, but I did finally get to evaluate a Snowflake in the flesh today. My local Goldsmiths had a fairly representative collection available and I dropped in on the spur of the moment.

Tried Snowflake, Sunbun and the mechanical White Birch.

The snowflake dial looked incredible in the cabinet, but on the wrist I found it a bit large, too light due to being Titanium, and I didn’t care too much for the case shape.

The Shunbun was the clear favourite, and I expected to dislike the pink dial, but it’s so subtle, and often looks silver. The 62GS inspired case shape is great, it has the right balance of brushed and polished service, and the bezel free design gives the crystal a very attractive vintage look. The only thing that gives me pause for thought is the lightness of titanium, if it was steel I would have bought it. Haven’t dismissed it though, even in titanium.

My interest in GS is quartz and Spring Drive, so the White Bitch wasn’t my thing. It weighs a tonne, partly due to the massive feeling 22mm bracelet, and the Evo 9 series are very expensive.

So for me Spring Drive in 62GS inspired case is where it is at. I think there is only one of these at the moment, but I shall keep my ears and eyes open for anything upcoming.

D

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    I didn’t want to start a new GS thread, but I did finally get to evaluate a Snowflake in the flesh today. My local Goldsmiths had a fairly representative collection available and I dropped in on the spur of the moment.

Tried Snowflake, Sunbun and the mechanical White Birch.

The snowflake dial looked incredible in the cabinet, but on the wrist I found it a bit large, too light due to being Titanium, and I didn’t care too much for the case shape.

The Shunbun was the clear favourite, and I expected to dislike the pink dial, but it’s so subtle, and often looks silver. The 62GS inspired case shape is great, it has the right balance of brushed and polished service, and the bezel free design gives the crystal a very attractive vintage look. The only thing that gives me pause for thought is the lightness of titanium, if it was steel I would have bought it. Haven’t dismissed it though, even in titanium.

My interest in GS is quartz and Spring Drive, so the White Bitch wasn’t my thing. It weighs a tonne, partly due to the massive feeling 22mm bracelet, and the Evo 9 series are very expensive.

So for me Spring Drive in 62GS inspired case is where it is at. I think there is only one of these at the moment, but I shall keep my ears and eyes open for anything upcoming.

D
    Getting to pick up watches in a showroom is always a challenging one - I'm still surprised about the lack of heft when picking my Snowflake out of the watch box, but once it's been on the wrist a while I forget all about it. Likewise going back the other way and picking up something like my Sinn 857 - it's literally twice the weight of the Snowflake and feels ridiculous for a while.

I have owned the earlier SBGA011 Snowflake for about 10 years I think.. It's still my favourite Grand Seiko...