closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 3D Printing - Found Something on Thangs - Getting It Made?

3D Printing - Found Something on Thangs - Getting It Made?

Bit of a long shot here but here goes...

We have an old Ikea bed. The bed slats are held into the frame by soft plastic (might be rubber) parts that are now aging and perishing. So far 6 of them have gone so three of the slats are not connected to the frame. I've searched and searched and can't find replacements to buy.

Then tonight, I've found what I think is a design for them on thangs.com. I know nothing about 3D printing except that it exists but am wondering if I can get some made? Is it likely that all the required info is on Thangs and are there people who will 3D print small quantities of them? I'd want to replace the 6 that have already gone and get a few spares as well.

Plenty of slat holders on Amazon etc - presumably you’ve checked there (though might have to drill new holes in frame to fit)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Plenty of slat holders on Amazon etc - presumably you’ve checked there (though might have to drill new holes in frame to fit)?
    Yeah, I've checked Amazon, eBay etc and can't find anything that's right or (easily) adaptable.

3D Printing - Found Something on Thangs - Getting It Made?

I have used makeitquick in the past. Minimum order is £20 though.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried messaging Ikea customer services.

go into Ikea, in the returns department they normally have a huge selection of spare parts for their furniture

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    Have you tried messaging Ikea customer services.
    I had a look on their website yesterday but they seemed to have lots of options that were designed to stop me needing a response from a human. I will persist.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    go into Ikea, in the returns department they normally have a huge selection of spare parts for their furniture
    They have lots of spare parts on their website but not the one I'm looking for. I'm passing close to the Manchester store a week on Saturday so will drop in then in case they have spare parts in store that they don't have online.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    I had a look on their website yesterday but they seemed to have lots of options that were designed to stop me needing a response from a human. I will persist.
    They have lots of spare parts on their website but not the one I'm looking for. I'm passing close to the Manchester store a week on Saturday so will drop in then in case they have spare parts in store that they don't have online.
    Update - thought I'd give it a go now and immediately got a customer services number straight through to a very pleasant human who unfortunately confirmed that the part was discontinued and no longer available online or in-store.

Master
    Facebook market place or ebay, just having something made in the same vein.

Craftsman
    Funnily enough I did this recently and they referred me to the website to order parts - stores only hold a limited set of spare parts, but I managed to get all the parts I needed sent all the way from Slovakia by IKEA, for free.

The basic process is described at https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/customer-...ms/spareparts/ - there's a maximum quality of 50 pieces per order however making multiple orders didn't seem to be an issue.

If you've got a discontinued item, the store might be able to point you in the right direction for part numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by AmosMoses View Post
    I have used makeitquick in the past. Minimum order is £20 though.
    I've tried them and a couple of other similar people (inc. 3D Print UK). They're working out about £14 for one or £50 for 6 (if I don't mind a slow delivery, which I don't).

I think I'm going to buy one, see if it's flexible enough (without being too flexible) and then have a think about whether I want to go further. By the time I've replaced 6 and got some spares (as other original ones are bound to fail soon) I might be better off buying a complete new slatted base (although it annoys me to not be able to fix something).

What size are these parts? If they're not too big, I'll print you a single one to see if it'll do the job before you get into batches of them. Can you post up the link to the part on thangs website for me?
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 14th February 2024 at 19:53.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    What size are these parts? If they're not too big, I'll print you a single one to see if it'll do the job before you get into batches of them. Can you post up the link to the part on thangs website for me?
    Thanks - that would be very helpful. I'm happy to pay any costs and/or bung something in the fundraiser.
    Here's the link: https://thangs.com/designer/spontani...%20Part-578996

Well, the model file is free to download so that's a good start.

It needs printed with a filament called TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) which I don't have. My printer will print TPU though.

I'll get a roll of it as I'm curious! 1kg is only £20 and I can't see these using up much of that. Maybe £5 worth max . A few quid bunged into Eddie's fundraiser is all I'll ask for in exchange if that's ok.

Any colour preference? Here's the choices....

SUNLU TPU 3D Printer Filament 1.75mm, 95A TPU 3D Filament, Flexibility and Good Durability for 3D Printing, Dimensional Accuracy +/- 0.03mm, 0.5kg Spool(1.1lb), 165 Meters, TPU Black https://amzn.eu/d/gj62QHH

Well, the model file is free to download so that's a good start.

It needs printed with a filament called TPU (thermoplastic polyurethane) which I don't have. My printer will print TPU though.

I'll get a roll of it as I'm curious! 1kg is only £20 and I can't see these using up much of that. Maybe £5 worth max . A few quid bunged into Eddie's fundraiser is all I'll ask for in exchange if that's ok.

Any colour preference? Here's the choices....

SUNLU TPU 3D Printer Filament 1.75mm, 95A TPU 3D Filament, Flexibility and Good Durability for 3D Printing, Dimensional Accuracy +/- 0.03mm, 0.5kg Spool(1.1lb), 165 Meters, TPU Black https://amzn.eu/d/gj62QHH
    Fiver bunged into the FR.
    I really don't mind which colour. The originals are cream but they can't be seen so get whichever colour you're happiest being left with for the future.

Ordered a roll of black to arrive on Saturday. I'll post back asap thereafter.

1st test piece ready to send over to you. Nice and flexible, but I'll send just one to see if it fits ok before running the batch. DM me over your address.

Last edited by JohnnyE; 27th February 2024 at 20:24.

1st test piece ready to send over to you. Nice and flexible, but I'll send just one to see if it fits ok before running the batch. DM me over your address.
    Definitely looks right. Many thank for this - I'll send you my address now.