closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Do you collect spares ?

Do you collect spares ?

Over the years I have enjoyed searching and the chase collecting spares for restoring/repairing my watches and also just for collecting, some NOS spares I just hated using :)

These are some Seiko 6309 (a few 6105) general spares i've collected over the years, a mixture of used but good spares and NOS plus I have a box of polished (Ben Levy RIP) OEM crystals for these models.

Plus I have draws full of spares for other Seiko models, its a disease :)

A wise man once said ‘it’s all about the spares’.
    I have a box of spares, I’ll post a pic later but it’s not as organised as yours!
    Cheers..
    Jase

Movements for Gen 1 & 2 RAF Seikos
    Only because I have had them fail in the past and Seiko no longer services the watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    John,

Have you a 6309 divers crystal retaining ring available?

It only seems to be Seikos that people keep parts for as generally Seiko don't want to know once a watch is ten years old or more.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    John,

Have you a 6309 divers crystal retaining ring available?
    Fitted three to my spare cases not long back so just the one now I think Bry.

Grand Master
    And to any other Seiko spares hoarders.

I would like a 6309/6 insert please...either NOS or a little fade/patina is great too.

Thanks in advance I await the offers.

Atb.

There's another box since these photos were taken and I will need to add another to my next Cousins order.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

The organisation for your spares puts my box of random stuff to shame

I have no idea what most of it is.

Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    The organisation for your spares puts my box of random stuff to shame

I have no idea what most of it is.

It looks like you've got a "The Tiger UK" replacement bezel gasket in your stash

Quote Originally Posted by catflem View Post
    It looks like you've got a "The Tiger UK" replacement bezel gasket in your stash

I have, that was strategically placed to see who would spot it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

He really did sell them for a bargain price, I have some along with some NOS OEM ones that I am "saving" :)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTigerUK View Post
    He really did sell them for a bargain price, I have some along with some NOS OEM ones that I am "saving" :)
    I hope you've trained your heirs as to the potential value of your stash

Master
    I sold all my modd'y stuff in ebay last year or the year before - loads of bezels and inserts.
    My current problem is heavy metal. I have a large drawer full with 4 bags of bracelet parts and 4 bags of spare links totalling about 5 or 6 kilos. SOME of which have detailed model numbers (or semi-coherent scribbles) on the little sealie bags but most of which are just a mystery. Obviously I've thought "ahhh I'll recognise that if and when I need it" which is a superbly naiive idea! Several hundred watches later, it's just a jumbled pile of steel.

That said, I do have a vague idea what most of the things are and it's saved me several hundred quid over years of buying on ebay (ebay watches NEVER have the spare links!)

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I sold all my modd'y stuff in ebay last year or the year before - loads of bezels and inserts.
    My current problem is heavy metal. I have a large drawer full with 4 bags of bracelet parts and 4 bags of spare links totalling about 5 or 6 kilos. SOME of which have detailed model numbers (or semi-coherent scribbles) on the little sealie bags but most of which are just a mystery. Obviously I've thought "ahhh I'll recognise that if and when I need it" which is a superbly naiive idea! Several hundred watches later, it's just a jumbled pile of steel.

That said, I do have a vague idea what most of the things are and it's saved me several hundred quid over years of buying on ebay (ebay watches NEVER have the spare links!)
    I sold 90+ at the last watch fair I went to in one box, used, new, vintage, modern etc for the princely sum of £180.

I hope you've trained your heirs as to the potential value of your stash
    Over the years I have told my wife I never pay more than £5 for any watch stuff (don't think she believes me) and as she has no interest in the watch stuff at all she may just bin it after my son has checked for any watches :)

I do. Have spare crystals for all my keepers (and 2 for most of my GS. I mean, if you have only 1 spare and you have to use it you no longer have a spare). Hardlex crystals specific to certain models can be impossible to find, so if one pops up I buy it. Watches with beat up, difficult to replace crystals also tend to sell for significantly less in some cases, so having an elusive crystal ready to go can make financial sense. Apart from crystals it's a bunch of movement and bracelet parts, cases, dials etc.

Master
    Yes I do, I have spare bezel inserts, bracelets, dials, straps and the like but too embarrassed to post a picture as they’re all just randomly kept in a couple of old shoe boxes…

I did buy a job lot of cases, dials and movements from a house clearance chap some years back. I sold on the movements and dear old Bob Frazier (RIP) had a lot of the old dials for his experiments.

I still have a boxful of old plated cases in the garage that I will probably recycle and a few older dials (below).

Cheers,
    Neil.

It's mainly Seiko Diver parts for me. Inserts, crystals, gaskets, bezels, crowns for the classic models like the 6309's and 7548's. Shrouds for the Tuna's. Things like that.

A lot of my stuff is kept in these draws, plus I use some plastic draws for stuff.

These draws have ten sections each and in each section some have inserts which have four sections so for small stuff there is forty small sections per draw, really good, the draws actually cost me as much as a decent watch :)

Last edited by TheTigerUK; 14th February 2024 at 20:37.

Master
    A lot of my stuff is kept these draws, plus I use some plastic draws for stuff.

These draws have ten sections each and in each section some have inserts which have four sections so for small stuff there is forty small sections per draw, really good, the draws actually cost me as much as a decent watch :)

Apologies here but… ‘draw’??

Quote Originally Posted by gmt 16750 View Post
    Apologies here but… ‘draw’??
    Sorry I don't understand your query/question ?

Master

Do you collect spares ?

Sorry I don't understand your query/question ?
    Drawer . He knows what you mean but would rather be a wring peace :)

Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Drawer . He knows what you mean but would rather be a wring peace :)
    aaah I see, thanks :)

ps: I must admit until he mentioned it I had spelt draw (drawer) wrong all my life, i'm ashamed of myself :( :(

Master

Do you collect spares ?

ps: I must admit until he mentioned it I had spelt draw (drawer) wrong all my life, i'm ashamed of myself :( :(
    Haha , I’m sure you will live:) quite a collection going on there. Original 6105 crystals bang out at £150 these days. You might have a small fortunes worth of bits and bobs !!

Master

You are not alone, I always thought it was ring piece, not wring piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Peace be with you :)

Peace be with you :)
    Shouldn't that be 'Peas be with you'? :) :) :) :) :)

Grand Master
    You spares collectors could put together some nice Seikos.

Master

Do you collect spares ?

Quote Originally Posted by Toad monitor View Post
    Or but whole:)

I try to buy a replacement crystal for anything vintage that I buy. I've also bought a few job lots of crystals/stems, and have a stash of handsets/dials for mostly Seikos. I'm also hoarding a couple of 6139A chronograph wheels which should last me the rest of my life (provided I don't buy any more watches that take them)

Craftsman
    Image1708104521.624004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Do you collect spares ?

Apologies for the quality of these reproduced images …. The members who have “ spares etc” , please can you help , this rather aged but lovely piece has a battle worn crystal / glass ( small chips on some of the hexagonal edges ) can anyone suggest where I could source a replacement as Kurfurst are no longer exist .

I hope this is not seen as hijacking this thread .

My apologies if it is at a tangent to the main theme , bless you for your understanding & compassion .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Last edited by Norbert; 16th February 2024 at 20:34.

Quote Originally Posted by twhp101 View Post
    I try to buy a replacement crystal for anything vintage that I buy. I've also bought a few job lots of crystals/stems, and have a stash of handsets/dials for mostly Seikos. I'm also hoarding a couple of 6139A chronograph wheels which should last me the rest of my life (provided I don't buy any more watches that take them)
    I doubt there are many of those about these days, I did read somewhere that guys could now repair the wheels (I think), the early two piece sweep hands have become difficult to find as well, some bits out of my 6139 drawer's.

I doubt there are many of those about these days, I did read somewhere that guys could now repair the wheels (I think), the early two piece sweep hands have become difficult to find as well, some bits out of my 6139 drawer's.

That's a nice stash! You've reminded me I might also have a two piece sweeper, will have to check the box...

For me collecting spares was always going to be a natural spin off from watch collecting.