closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SOTC/Watch collection criteria/rationale

SOTC/Watch collection criteria/rationale

Keen to hear from forum members who have some sort of rationale behind their watch collections.

I accept and see nothing wrong with simply buying what you like and have done this for the majority of my 10 years of interest in watches. Some have stayed but many have moved on so that I could try out and enjoy others (funds are limited after all!).

The above said, I recently find I’m down to 1 watch from each brand and fancy keeping this going as my collection theme. It seems a fun, challenging and interesting way to ensure diversity and breadth.

See below the SOTC (my first, so go easy haha)

AP Diver

Rolex Daytona

Nomos Tangomat (my first expensive watch)

Tudor Pelagos 39

Longines (18th Birthday present from my Grandma and no idea what the model is?)

So what changes do I see?

Short term, I’m thinking about swapping the Nomos for a Weltzeit (white/silver dial still) and the Tudor isn’t getting worn much so will likely find a new home sooner or later.

Medium term, perhaps an IWC, likely a pilot. I have enjoyed a Pilot Chrono before.

Long term, I’d love a Patek 5524G, maybe a VC of some sorts.

What would you add?

Thanks for taking the time to read and keen to hear from you all, Niki

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    No rationale,but I’ve trimmed down to two watches,not sure that counts as a collection tho.

You're a good few rungs further up the ladder than me Niki (wrist shots make me think male Niki rather than female Niki?). I just muddle through with an idiosynchratic collection of that which has appealed tome along my journey.
    I have tended to favour vintage ( i.e. 30 to 100+ year-old Omegas) but I also like representatives of other iconic brands and models.

My two favourites are probably a very nice Soccer watch, and a well-worn giant Twinjet Navitimer. But I love them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikincooper View Post
    ]

Longines (18th Birthday present from my Grandma and no idea what the model is?)
    I have that Longines! Also an 18th birthday present (from my mum)!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonzodog View Post
    No rationale,but I’ve trimmed down to two watches,not sure that counts as a collection tho.
    A lovely pair! I should have added that the quantity of watches in my collection has reduced noticeably during 2023. I think my perfect number would be 3 but we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    You're a good few rungs further up the ladder than me Niki (wrist shots make me think male Niki rather than female Niki?). I just muddle through with an idiosynchratic collection of that which has appealed tome along my journey.
    I have tended to favour vintage ( i.e. 30 to 100+ year-old Omegas) but I also like representatives of other iconic brands and models.

My two favourites are probably a very nice Soccer watch, and a well-worn giant Twinjet Navitimer. But I love them all.

Male Niki indeed; I’m named after Niki Lauda, one of the great Ferrari F1 drivers. I do like your Omega. I think the Speedmaster tintin would be my pick.

I do have a structure

Core (Rolex & Omega)

Vintage or Neovintage Rolex, which includes Tudor

Diversification sports watches

Dressy

Seiko divers

Others

It’s embarrassing, far too many, but there is an underlying structure.

Dave

This year I’m going to go for the Dave O’Sullivan “Three and a G” with the G-Shock being an Apple Watch.

Once I’m down to three I’m going to try for two keepers and one floater. One of the keepers will probably be a 5513, 1680 or 1665.

Master
    Is there a wait list ? Good, then I’ll have one.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    This year I’m going to go for the Dave O’Sullivan “Three and a G” with the G-Shock being an Apple Watch.

Once I’m down to three I’m going to try for two keepers and one floater. One of the keepers will probably be a 5513, 1680 or 1665.
    Ha!
    Honoured indeed!
    *I didn’t coin the phrase, I just subscribe to the goal…
    Here’s mine.
    Classic 1803, BLNR - in my opinion the best ceramic era Rolex sports watch - and a WWW Cyma.
    Apple Watch Ultra is my GShock substitute. I think I’m done.

SOTC/Watch collection criteria/rationale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave OSullivan View Post
    Ha!
    Honoured indeed!
    *I didn’t coin the phrase, I just subscribe to the goal
    Ah, thought it was you. I’m hot on your heels and should hopefully be down to three in about two weeks. Then I’ll try turn the LVc into a 5513 or similar and not buy anything for >12 months.
    Last edited by wileeeeeey; 5th February 2024 at 11:07.

Craftsman
    My original aim was to have a watch from each decade (40s onwards) each by a different brand. I also wanted to be fairly diverse in style & colours which has seen me miss out on a few I really should have got (Mark 12 being the worst decision).
    I don't think I'll get there now if I'm honest, but with a few ins & outs and probably 6 keepers I've got a really versatile collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Ha!
    Honoured indeed!
    *I didn’t coin the phrase, I just subscribe to the goal…
    Here’s mine.
    Classic 1803, BLNR - in my opinion the best ceramic era Rolex sports watch - and a WWW Cyma.
    Apple Watch Ultra is my GShock substitute. I think I’m done.

That is some collection of “3 and a G” .

Whilst 2 seems to work well for me, I think 3 is where I’ll settle but minus a G. I did own a G for a couple of years but it never got worn, hence gifted it away to a good friend.

Have a great weekend all, Niki

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Idontgram View Post
    I have that Longines! Also an 18th birthday present (from my mum)!
    I have that Longines, I think I was 18 when I got it too!

Not there yet, but originally the plan was to have 3 and & beater, & for me covering most bases.

1 Diver = BB58
    1 Chrono = Speedy
    1 Dress/ Smartish watch = BB36
    Beater = Seiko Arnie.

Not having a great disposable income & trying to purchase for special occasions. Arnie my dads then mine when 18, BB58 bought when my daughter was born, Speedy when my son was born. However I didn't get on with the Speedy, found it a difficult fit, swapped for a Carrera, then a Monaco, & recently sold the Monaco all didn't wear great after a long period.

I now miss the Speedy and can see myself picking up another one, but also liking the green Seamaster 300 (potentially may look to pick either up to feel that void). The BB36 is potentially planned for my 40th this year. I'll wait to see what is announced this year before buying again. Don't want to make the same mistake as before.

If the Seamaster is bought, I'll still stick to the 3+1 but guess the covering of basis is gone.