closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: T-shirt recommendation

Master

T-shirt recommendation

I've realised that most of my t-shirts are older than my 16 year old son, and I'm looking for advice on what new ones to buy. I'm 6'2", 15.5" collar, thin and wirey with a 32 inch waist. I like buying quality clothes but that doesn't necessarily mean will know brands. In terms of T-shirts I like plain polos with discreet logos. Thank you in advance for you recommendations!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillans View Post
    I've realised that most of my t-shirts are older than my 16 year old son, and I'm looking for advice on what new ones to buy. I'm 6'2", 15.5" collar, thin and wirey with a 32 inch waist. I like buying quality clothes but that doesn't necessarily mean will know brands. In terms of T-shirts I like plain polos with discreet logos. Thank you in advance for you recommendations!
    FWIW my choice are plain colour Armour Lux, Uniqlo heavy weight pretty good too, tried the Rapanui ones but thin and lightweight!

Long thread here, https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?519452

I bought some Dunhill t-shirts in their sale and they are nice.

I like orlebar brown and sunspel polos.

Sent from my SM-S911B using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I've tried Charles Tyrwhitt which I'm happy with.

https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/uk/m...irts/t-shirts/

Sent from my DN2103 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Sunspel T’s and Polo’s and superb quality and can be picked in the sales, so not crazy priced.

Pitch

Master
    Blog Entries
    Crew clothing are my favourite

Master
    I'm a Uniqlo fan, have many of their tees, also picked up a few Carhartt WIP recently and the quality is really good

I can really recommend SuperNatural merino wool mix t shirts.

Various weights available depending on how warm or not you want but they fit superbly, retain their shape and maintain a freshness like no cotton t shirt I’ve ever worn.

Not cheap at around £35-£40 but try and buy from the likes of SportPursuit.com and they last years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Many thanks for all the recommendations, I'm looking at all of them. I'd be interested to comments from those with an equally thin / tall build.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    I can really recommend SuperNatural merino wool mix t shirts.

Various weights available depending on how warm or not you want but they fit superbly, retain their shape and maintain a freshness like no cotton t shirt I’ve ever worn.

Not cheap at around £35-£40 but try and buy from the likes of SportPursuit.com and they last years.

Could you give a rough idea of sizing buddy, pit to pit.

Cheers

Pitch

best value for money tees ive found are the multipack charles wilson ones on amazon ( tried uniqlo + gildan was not impressed)

Master
    Do you think you are over thinking it a bit OP? It's just a T shirt at the end of the day. Go round a few shops, try a few on and buy what you like best. That's what I do anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    Do you think you are over thinking it a bit OP? It's just a T shirt at the end of the day. Go round a few shops, try a few on and buy what you like best. That's what I do anyway.
    Do people really try T shirts on in store?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by estoban7 View Post
    I over think everything! I hate shopping and I have bought great t-shirts before that have washed poorly. I'm just trying to gather initial intel to bootstrap the process!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Could you give a rough idea of sizing buddy, pit to pit.

Cheers

Pitch
    Sure will message you via a PM

Craftsman
    On the high street, the M&S Autograph collection is hard to beat. I've got a number of their supima cotton t-shirts and quality is fantastic.

Craftsman
    I really like Musto basic T's and polos, medium to heavy weight. Fit me well and top quality. For light weight, Lacoste polos are pretty good.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Having 'done the rounds', I've ended up buying them from Next in recent years. Terrific range of colours and fits for their standard t. I think they were 3 for £16 last time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sunspel are ace, also have a look at M&S supima cotton

I am similarly tall and slim.

I have a few Sunspel (all bought in sales) and in my opinion the t shirts are in no way worth the money - fit is too baggy for my build and the neck/collar is just not right. Conversely the polos are excellent.

M&S slim fit are good value for money, fit very well, are comfortable and just hard to beat all round.

I do also have a really nice t shirt made from I think bamboo that is fantastically soft amd comfortable but sadly they only do plain in one colour (grey) - all the others have a design of some sort which I don't want. Will have to check the make later. Edited to add, the brand is SueMe.
    Last edited by tertius; 5th February 2024 at 10:09.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    I am similarly tall and slim.

I have a few Sunspel (all bought in sales) and in my opinion the t shirts are in no way worth the money - fit is too baggy for my build and the neck/collar is just not right. Conversely the polos are excellent.
    I’m also not that impressed with Sunspel.
    Look good when new but after a few (careful) washes soon deteriorate - collar in particular having no structure.
    Sizing is also odd - have both S and M and very little between them (I’m usually an M or even L in other brands).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    Having 'done the rounds', I've ended up buying them from Next in recent years. Terrific range of colours and fits for their standard t. I think they were 3 for £16 last time.
    Yup me too, generally I buy most of my clothing from Next. Good fit, good quality, pricing is decent and fairly stylish with discreet branding.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Master
    I used to wear gap fitted ones over the last 20yrs, some are still going from the original years, you can certainly see the lower quality fabrics used in cost cutting over the years.

No longer made, so need to start doing some research and trying things on. Standard fit tend to have too wide a cut for my preference.

Will have a look at the ones mentioned here & the other thread. Did try some cheapies from Jack & Jones but they did the body length shrinking in the tumble dryer trick and went to charity after a single wear and wash.

Master
    All mine come from bambooclothing.co.uk. beautifully soft and fit well (Until about six months ago I was a 32" waist but am a good 4" shorter than you).

They have two ranges Origin Air and Origin Luxe. I found the Air a bit thin and not so long lived but the Luxe are much nicer and last for a few years. They tend not to have branding on and have a good range of colours.

M&S have some good quality stuff for blokes over 50 but really like Sainsburys Martin Kemp Union works range, cracking material for under £20. Also a fan of Under Armour.

I´m confused...I thought Polo´s come with a collar, usually a wee logo of something on the tit and T´s are well just T´s, so is the OP after Polo´s, T´s or both?

bamaboo clothing, 46 euro quid a T shirt, splutter!

tongue in cheek-leftfield suggestion,

https://fivedollarteeshirts.com/
    Last edited by Passenger; 6th February 2024 at 10:52.

Master
    https://rapanuiclothing.com/product/...-shirt-5-pack/

I have some, they are comfortable, well made and lasting well.

Craftsman
    Best tees I’ve ever owned for shape have been Beams Plus and Nanamica.

No surprise both Japanese.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I used to wear gap fitted ones over the last 20yrs, some are still going from the original years, you can certainly see the lower quality fabrics used in cost cutting over the years.

No longer made, so need to start doing some research and trying things on. Standard fit tend to have too wide a cut for my preference.

Will have a look at the ones mentioned here & the other thread. Did try some cheapies from Jack & Jones but they did the body length shrinking in the tumble dryer trick and went to charity after a single wear and wash.
    I also swore by the Gap fitted range. I have 3-4 shirts that are 10+ years old and still hanging in there. I’ve a couple still in wrappers that I’m keeping for posterity!

I’ve a couple of Son shirts which are a step or two up in price (but not stupid like some mentioned in this thread). They’re custom fitted via their website https://www.sonofatailor.com/products/t-shirts and are worth the money imho

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I’m also not that impressed with Sunspel.
    Look good when new but after a few (careful) washes soon deteriorate - collar in particular having no structure.
    Sizing is also odd - have both S and M and very little between them (I’m usually an M or even L in other brands).
    Same experience here. Won’t ever buy Sunspel again, sale or not

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lughugger View Post
    I also swore by the Gap fitted range. I have 3-4 shirts that are 10+ years old and still hanging in there. I’ve a couple still in wrappers that I’m keeping for posterity!

I’ve a couple of Son shirts which are a step or two up in price (but not stupid like some mentioned in this thread). They’re custom fitted via their website https://www.sonofatailor.com/products/t-shirts and are worth the money imho

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Glad I posted what I used to wear then, as you’re likely going to be hitting the sweet-spot of what I’m wanting, thank you!

Certainly prefer the Gap pricing though lol. Very envious of you having some new & unworn ones. If I could have predicted their demise, I’d have ordered so many more

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Glad I posted what I used to wear then, as you’re likely going to be hitting the sweet-spot of what I’m wanting, thank you!

Certainly prefer the Gap pricing though lol. Very envious of you having some new & unworn ones. If I could have predicted their demise, I’d have ordered so many more
    The Gap still exist in the UK, but only online, they have a tie up with Next for delivery and pickup etc., but they are still proper Gap products.

https://www.gap.co.uk/shop/gender-me...ry-tshirts?p=1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    The Gap still exist in the UK, but only online, they have a tie up with Next for delivery and pickup etc., but they are still proper Gap products.

https://www.gap.co.uk/shop/gender-me...ry-tshirts?p=1
    Yes, thank you. However they have discontinued the fitted range unfortunately.

It’s not a muscle shirt with the name fitted, just tapers in at the waist which makes it hang a little nicer. Perhaps they do something similar but with being online only it becomes a bit of an effort.

I use The Hemp Trading Company https://thtc.co.uk