closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Youngest son looking for watch advice

Journeyman

Youngest son looking for watch advice

Hi Folks
    after a long absence I've come back to seek advice from the forum on behalf of my youngest son. He's just about to turn 21 and would like to buy a watch to mark the occasion. He isn't that bothered whether it's a new watch or a pre-owned/loved watch but he does prefer automatic movements and isn't that keen on huge case sizes. He's got a budget of around £500 but would really appreciate your advice and thoughts on what he could go for. His name is Luke.

thanks in advance for all the help

cheers again

Master
    You'll get a second hand Tag auto (probably a Link or Kirium?) at the top end of your budget if you shop around a bit, but I think the Tissot PRX Powermatic 80 takes some beating! I had the green dial one and its one of the best watches I've owned in ages. RRP is just shy of £700 but they are in lots of sales at almost exactly £500 at the moment.

Edit. Even better as I see he doesn't like huge watches, the 35mm model is reduced even further on beaverbrooks to £450.

Master
    Smiths Everest
    Got one my sons that one for his 21st and it's well in budget
    The other one got a Sinn for his but that was more than your bufget.

In this price range I’d honestly stick to the microbrands. An Eddie is a good shout but there are plenty of others. I’m finding Shoreham’s offerings tempting at the moment, also have a look at the likes of Zelos. In an industry where most of what you pay for is the name a £300 watch from a micro can easily be better quality than a £2k watch from an established name.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Assuming this will at least for a time be his only 'good' watch, a GADA-type watch seems sensible. In this price range I'd be looking at microbrands, specifically ones like these:

Traska - Commuter, Venturer
    Henry Archer - Vesterhav
    Wise - Adamascus AD7
    Timefactors - Smiths Trans-Global, Everest Expedition
    Second Hour - Mandala, Mandala Burst
    Maen - Manhattan 37, Brooklyn 36
    Nodus - Sector GMT, Sector Sport
    Lorier - Astra
    Beaucroft - Seeker
    Baltic - Hermétique

The Maens are slightly above price range, but to my eyes are a bit special.

If a name with with wider recognition is wanted it'd be a used Hamilton Jazzmaster or a new Seiko from the Presage family (within that, the 'Style 60s' and 'Cocktail Time' ranges have some nice models).
    Last edited by Fullbreakfast; 28th January 2024 at 08:29.

Are you sure he is not hinting that you buy him one? I brought my son a doxa searambler 300 anniversary edition a few years ago for his 21st and he still wears it constantly, he did buy a Tudor but sold it as preferred the doxa

Master
    While I strongly rate a lot of microbrands, and have purchased dozens of weird and wonderful watches from start-ups and lesser-knowns, I would really encourage you away from them for a 21 year old none WIS.

If I'd been given one of those at 21 I'd have thought it had come off a market stall and pushed it into a drawer for eternity. It would be like giving a kid some obscure high end skiing gear when he just wants a tracksuit from JD.
    Stick to a name he'll know and won't mind showing off a bit to his mates, microbrands come later if and when he develops the bug.

38mm Hamilton Khaki Auto would be my recommendation. Looks good with a decent spec, and very hard to beat in this price range. Can be had new for around your budget.

Has to be a Seiko, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    You'll get a second hand Tag auto (probably a Link or Kirium?) at the top end of your budget if you shop around a bit, but I think the Tissot PRX Powermatic 80 takes some beating! I had the green dial one and its one of the best watches I've owned in ages. RRP is just shy of £700 but they are in lots of sales at almost exactly £500 at the moment.

Edit. Even better as I see he doesn't like huge watches, the 35mm model is reduced even further on beaverbrooks to £450.
    I’d too go with Heuer / Tag Heuer, but I’d personally be giving the Kirium a very wide birth as it’s been incredibly dated for years. The old 2000 series has some gems (like the WK2117), and the 980.xxx divers are classics although it might be hard to get auto rather than quartz in this price range.

Would £500 get you a used Longines Conquest/Hydroconquest? (ETA, plenty on eBay in that price range, with the usual caveats!)

Premium-ish name, Swiss-kudos, bezel and chapter ring will line up

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Can’t go wrong with a Seiko but maybe not special enough for a 21 year old non WIS; even a Spring drive GS would probably just be seen as a cheap Seiko.

The Tissot PRX is a good shout though or probably anything he can see in a jewellers window (although not H Samuel obviously ).

Quote Originally Posted by HookedSeven View Post
    I’d too go with Heuer / Tag Heuer, but I’d personally be giving the Kirium a very wide birth as it’s been incredibly dated for years. The old 2000 series has some gems (like the WK2117), and the 980.xxx divers are classics although it might be hard to get auto rather than quartz in this price range.
    I’ve had a number of Kirium and Link Tags and still think they’re great watches and a little different to most watches you see every day. Definite future classics IMHO.

Automatic and £500ish. Isn’t that Seiko and Hamilton territory?

Personal taste, I bought a Hamilton Khaki automatic 30 years ago, still wear it and will never part with it.

Quite like the look of the Seiko Style60s range.

A bit more microbrandy, never touched one, but also quite like the look of the Baltic Aquascaphe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    38mm Hamilton Khaki Auto would be my recommendation. Looks good with a decent spec, and very hard to beat in this price range. Can be had new for around your budget.
    This is exactly what I was gonna suggest. Great size, historic brand, Swiss made which I think makes it a bit more special for a young lad on a special occasion. With that budget and wish list that’s what I’d be doing. Prices do seem to have gone up, especially on the bracelet, but if you shop around you’ll be able to get one I’m sure.

https://sarahlayton.co.uk/products/k...hoCeSEQAvD_BwE

Depends how into watches he is. For service free ownership you can’t go far wrong with a citizen eco drive they do some lovely watches. As he likes automatic though for bang per buck used longines takes some beating

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I’ve had a number of Kirium and Link Tags and still think they’re great watches and a little different to most watches you see every day. Definite future classics IMHO.
    I can see the appeal of the Link, but for me the Kirium is a hard pass and I think unlikely to ever be considered as a future classic. The integrated bracelet design and lack of bracelet/strap options is the final nail in the coffin.

Another vote for a Hamilton Khaki auto.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

CWC G22 or a Mellor if he doesn’t mind a manual

Smile

Also… how about Nomos ?

A quick eBay search throws up options just about in budget.

My first thought was Longines Hydroconquest
    It’s a good robust watch from a quality maker, that comes in various versions and sizes

Master
    Hamilton or if after a diver I’d go Seiko

My 22 year old son wanted a decent watch for Christmas so we went watch shopping together. He didn't like the Tissot PRX range (the bracelet and integrated strap thing put him off). Hamilton Khaki was a bit utilitarian for him. In the end he chose a Seiko Presage, which really suited him for size, style and colour. It wasn't on my radar at all, which goes to show, our tastes can't be applied to the next generation of watch collectors. He is blissfully happy with it.

Christopher Ward worth a look, particularly in the sales?

Swiss made, starting to get the attention of the public via advertising so some “kudos” with mates, a range of options, I think style wise they suit a younger audience, and the branding is now tolerable.

Otherwise, the Hamilton Khaki is a great shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

Cheers kevkojak he's already got an orient thats similar to the Tissot - should have mentioned that in my original message - but lovely watch all the same. Cheers

Master
    No one mentioned Steinhart! Possibly too “ toolwatch”. Given the comment above re their son picking a Presage, isnt It worth Luke and yourself browsing a couple of shops where he can try on a few and see how the look. Stock photos can mislead, certainly with regards to size.

Seiko all day imo. Hold out for a sale, look for 40% or more off, aim for something with sapphire.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by boris9 View Post
    Christopher Ward worth a look, particularly in the sales?

Swiss made, starting to get the attention of the public via advertising so some “kudos” with mates, a range of options, I think style wise they suit a younger audience, and the branding is now tolerable.

Otherwise, the Hamilton Khaki is a great shout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi Boris
    funnily enough I've been after a Christopher Ward watch for myself for a while. They brought out a mechanical divers watch with an orange bezel that I loved the look of but they're not so easy to find nowadays. Hamilton is also a good shout but maybe a bit big for his wrist
    cheers

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Seiko all day imo. Hold out for a sale, look for 40% or more off, aim for something with sapphire.
    love seiko's - can't go too far wrong IMHO. He's already got an orient that he's looked after well - should have mentioned that in my original message. Cheers

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    No one mentioned Steinhart! Possibly too “ toolwatch”. Given the comment above re their son picking a Presage, isnt It worth Luke and yourself browsing a couple of shops where he can try on a few and see how the look. Stock photos can mislead, certainly with regards to size.
    very good point about the size being so difficult to tell from a photo. I thought i'd pick the brains of the forum so that he can come up with a short(ish) list as a starting point and go from there. So much choice.....which is part of the fun

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Wolff View Post
    My 22 year old son wanted a decent watch for Christmas so we went watch shopping together. He didn't like the Tissot PRX range (the bracelet and integrated strap thing put him off). Hamilton Khaki was a bit utilitarian for him. In the end he chose a Seiko Presage, which really suited him for size, style and colour. It wasn't on my radar at all, which goes to show, our tastes can't be applied to the next generation of watch collectors. He is blissfully happy with it.
    Hi Dr Wolf - again I can't argue with Seiko for value for money, build quality and history - lots to look at, cheers

Master
    Blog Entries
    Smiths Everest and change.

I think a Smiths Traveller (if you can get one) would be a good choice.

Otherwise if a manual is not an issue, a CWC Mellor 72 display model is available for just under £500 direct from CWC.

As already mentioned, a Seiko.

Another vote for a Hamilton khaki.

Mido Ocean Star Tribute?

https://www.midowatches.com/uk/ocean...301104100.html

Coming to a SC near you and well under budget
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 28th January 2024 at 19:05.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beesumph View Post
    love seiko's - can't go too far wrong IMHO. He's already got an orient that he's looked after well - should have mentioned that in my original message. Cheers
    Case rested!

Craftsman
    Seiko SARB033 / SARB035

Seiko SKX007 / SKX009

Seiko Turtle (a few decent colours available)

Could build a decent custom seiko for £500, happy to help if that’s an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Smiths Everest and change.
    Except after he’s put it in his basket and clicked ‘pay now’ it’ll be showing as sold out and he’ll have to wait 3 months for another go. His lad will be celebrating his 30th by the time he gets one!

Master
    TKMaxx have some Hamiltons for good prices at the moment:

Railroad, £400

Jazzmaster, £500

Tissot, Hamilton, Seiko or Tag my suggestions. Go through the websites together to see that he likes

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Bought my son a Seiko Sumo for his 21st and he wears it constantly. The bracelet clasp failed after 18 months -
    Not quite sure what the issue is and was going to have it fixed , I put it on NATO strap so he could still wear it which he thinks is a vast improvement and apparently his mates think it’s pretty cool. He’s often out and about in pubs and bars etc so glad I didn’t push the boat out and go Omega or Rolex. He’d get mugged for it or just lose it when staying at a mates,
    Drunk or both. This way he gets a rugged watch that will probably last a while (and he can get it fixed if it ever goes wrong) - not sure a microbrand watch fished out of a drawer in 20 years will have the parts available tbh which has to be a consideration for a potential keeper?

I would really recommend going round some of the micro brands.
    He can do some of his own research
    He can get a much better spec for his money than he can get with the big brands.
    He's never likely to run into many, if anyone else, wearing the same watch. Which is pretty cool
    I recommend (from my own current ownership) Venturo, RZE, Eddie (of course) and there are loads more.
    Look at some of the micro collator sites like Serious Watches. That'll give you a good idea what is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by boring_sandwich View Post
    Good shout. I looked at these in Christopher George in Cardiff on Saturday. Didn't know they existed until I saw them in the window. They really do look superb for the money (superb full stop actually), and will work in any situation and with any attire.

Craftsman
    Has Certina been mentioned? Modern looking catalogue with plenty of styles to chose from.
    I would bet that a used Tag would be favorite for a 21 year old if you can get a good one in budget.

Type of watch would help narrow things down significantly. Dress/diver etc? Known popular brand, or happy to explore the micros?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
    Good shout, but buy second-hand and avoid the latest ETA version with the C07 movement. Service support in future will be a problem with the ETA C07, 80hr power reserve and free-sprung balance might seem like a real plus but finding anyone to service it (other than Swatch Group) will be difficult.

Buy something second-hand with ETA 2824 movement is my advice. Other than that, look for a second-hand TAG with ETA 2892 or 2824 based movement, they're a far better proposition for service/maintenance.

If he's not worried about brand snobbery a Smiths PRS25 is worth considering.

Craftsman

Sinn....?

I would consider stretching the budget a little to circa £700 and get a used Sinn 556. Rock solid build, under the radar quality.

How about a Tag Heuer 2000 Exclusive Auto Chronograph? He should be able to get one close to his budget on ebay. They're 38mm but slightly chunky and I find they wear really well. There's a blue dial version as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204486089...is&media=EMAIL

Or failing that how about:

- Vintage (1980s) Tag Heuer 1000 Diver
    - O&W Mirage Chronograph

I also like the Tag Heuer Link Chronographs but will admit they are more of an acquired taste:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256390153...mis&media=COPY

As mentioned multiple times, a Longines Hydroconquest is also an excellent buy for the money.

Or I do have this lovely vintage reverse panda dial Chronograph up for sale that I'm negotiable on (apologies for the shameless plug) :)

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...ph-now-also-FT
    Last edited by watchcollector1; 30th January 2024 at 19:42.