closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Mega Quartz Servicing

Omega Mega Quartz Servicing

Hi All

I wondered if anyone had recent experience of getting either a Marine Chronometer or Constellation with the mega quartz movement serviced?

Do STS still do these or is it Bienne only?

Rough idea of cost would be helpful. I had my Speedsonic done at STS in 2019 and it was just shy of a grand..!

Journeyman
    Hi John,

If we're talking about the 1510 and 1511:

STS stopped servicing them a little over a year ago (they no longer have a supply of some important main components).

Bienne haven't serviced them for years, and Omega had been sending customers to STS.

I've heard rumours of a couple of people in Germany and Poland who can/will still work on them, but only rumours.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrantlizardrex View Post
    Hi John,

If we're talking about the 1510 and 1511:

STS stopped servicing them a little over a year ago (they no longer have a supply of some important main components).

Bienne haven't serviced them for years, and Omega had been sending customers to STS.

I've heard rumours of a couple of people in Germany and Poland who can/will still work on them, but only rumours.
    Yes, indeed, the 1510 and 1511!

That slightly derails my plans…

Does Simon Freese work on them? I was after a complete overhaul including case and bracelet refurbishment. Such a shame if there is no viable option in this regard anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    Yes, indeed, the 1510 and 1511!

That slightly derails my plans…

Does Simon Freese work on them? I was after a complete overhaul including case and bracelet refurbishment. Such a shame if there is no viable option in this regard anymore.
    It should be possible to get the case and bracelet refinished but from memory STS/Swisstec only had a couple of mechanical movements left when I had my old Marine Chronometer serviced about 10 years ago and they weren't able to do anything about the quartz part of the movement at all. Omega in Bienne couldn't help either. I seem to recall Tom Dick bought up Marine Chronometers where he could just so he'd have a stock of spare movements. Again, IIRC, if the quartz part of the movement goes there's nothing you can do about it, something to do with glue or weld failing over time. The movements are in essence prototypes and I don't believe anyone knows how to work on them, or more importantly how to fix them. I've always thought were the movements to be fully serviceable the watches would be worth a lot more money. I had both MC and Stardust and while the latter was little bling for me, I miss the MC. It would be of interest to have one with a nice modern quartz movement fitted but then the whole point is it is a piece of horological history.
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    It should be possible to get the case and bracelet refinished but from memory STS/Swisstec only had a couple of mechanical movements left when I had my old Marine Chronometer serviced about 10 years ago and they weren't able to do anything about the quartz part of the movement at all. Omega in Bienne couldn't help either. I seem to recall Tom Dick bought up Marine Chronometers where he could just so he'd have a stock of spare movements. Again, IIRC, if the quartz part of the movement goes there's nothing you can do about it, something to do with glue or weld failing over time. The movements are in essence prototypes and I don't believe anyone knows how to work on them, or more importantly how to fix them. I've always thought were the movements to be fully serviceable the watches would be worth a lot more money. I had both MC and Stardust and while the latter was little bling for me, I miss the MC. It would be of interest to have one with a nice modern quartz movement fitted but then the whole point is it is a piece of horological history.
    Hi Simon

If you recall, I bought your MC from you and I foolishly let it go. I have hankered after another but seemingly did not know the option that you took with STS is no longer available.

Not sure what to do now. I was offered some after a WTB post but I wanted one that was as good as the MC you had.

Hi Simon

If you recall, I bought your MC from you and I foolishly let it go. I have hankered after another but seemingly did not know the option that you took with STS is no longer available.

Not sure what to do now. I was offered some after a WTB post but I wanted one that was as good as the MC you had.
    I thought so but couldn't remember. That one was lovely, wasn't it! I was thinking about it again last week. I think that watch may have had one of Swisstec's two movements. I think that service was a grand or so.

I thought so but couldn't remember. That one was lovely, wasn't it! I was thinking about it again last week. I think that watch may have had one of Swisstec's two movements. I think that service was a grand or so.
    It was. We were both stupid to sell it!

This is the only picture I have of it:

What an awful situation. How has Omega allowed this to happen, FFS?

I have a few!

Last edited by Foxy100; 28th January 2024 at 19:38.

I have a few!

Always wanted the middle one.
    Just reminds me of Kojak and my teenage years.

Omega Mega Quartz Servicing

I have a few!

We’ have owned some of the same watches. I had a Ploprof 600 too.

That big blue is a rare bird!

Sadly all I have left are the 1000M, Speedy 125 and the Seamaster 2531.80.

I'd happily have the others all back but those days are sadly gone, now I have children and still a wife.

Hi All

I wondered if anyone had recent experience of getting either a Marine Chronometer or Constellation with the mega quartz movement serviced?

Do STS still do these or is it Bienne only?

Rough idea of cost would be helpful. I had my Speedsonic done at STS in 2019 and it was just shy of a grand..!
    Keitht on here helped me out with my stardust.
    Luckily only a service as parts was scares already almost a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    Keitht on here helped me out with my stardust.
    Luckily only a service as parts was scares already almost a decade ago.
    Thank you.

I dropped Keith a PM. If I could potentially separate the case refinishing and the service, that would work for me.

Be a tragedy if these could no longer be serviced.

If I remember correctly - was there a Marine Chronometer with a blue dial rather than black?

They've fascinated me since the adverts in the National Geographic - detailing the accuracy.

Master
    Hi All
    ... a Marine Chronometer or Constellation with the mega quartz movement serviced?
    Why you want them serviced, please?