closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Digital Audio Players

Digital Audio Players

Prompted by the item for sale in SC currently. I'm afraid I'm not in a position to buy at the moment but I am interested in the idea. I use Hi-Res certified headphones (Yamaha LH700A) and listen to Apple Music from my iPhone. I gather this doesn't give me lossless due to the codec used by Apple not being hi-res, but if I use the wired connection then it is.

However my problem is that when listening to music I like to NOT use my phone if possible as I find it a distraction, so a dedicated player like my old iPod appeals.

There seems to be a wide range of devices by FiiO (and other brands, but I like FiiO) which cater for me, offering lossless bluetooth codec and apple music.

Which should I look at - it seems like some have Apple Music but it's a bit of an afterthought i.e not the default way to use the thing, but I want one which literally just has that and not as an extra app that needs opening, if that makes sense. Better if it's small and has good battery life.

Not really sure where to start - I am SUPER happy with the sound of my headphones, and honestly can tell VERY little difference between wired and wireless modes on them; this is more about having a dedicated music player.

Thanks
    ped

I’ve got an A&K SR25 which has a lovely balanced sound listening with some custom in ear monitors (6 balanced armature drivers). That said the sound with a DAC dongle is worth considering. I’ve also got a FiiO KA5 and an audioquest dragonfly black which are nearly as good

Hey Ped,

Digital Audio Players that stream music like Apple Music run on the Android operating system. The only option is to download the APP through the Google Play Store or via the Internet via apkpure.net or a similar service.

Using a music App on a DAP isn't an issue because unlike a mobile phone, you don't have to have multiple applications installed.

Your music can be stored on the internal memory or a SD card so you don’t have to rely on an Internet connection to listen to your music. You have the option of physically plugging your headphones into the player or using Bluetooth.

If you are after a smaller player then maybe have a look at the iBasso DX170. I am still pondering about selling mine (I own too many DAP's lol).

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Prompted by the item for sale in SC currently. I'm afraid I'm not in a position to buy at the moment but I am interested in the idea. I use Hi-Res certified headphones (Yamaha LH700A) and listen to Apple Music from my iPhone. I gather this doesn't give me lossless due to the codec used by Apple not being hi-res, but if I use the wired connection then it is.

However my problem is that when listening to music I like to NOT use my phone if possible as I find it a distraction, so a dedicated player like my old iPod appeals.

There seems to be a wide range of devices by FiiO (and other brands, but I like FiiO) which cater for me, offering lossless bluetooth codec and apple music.

Which should I look at - it seems like some have Apple Music but it's a bit of an afterthought i.e not the default way to use the thing, but I want one which literally just has that and not as an extra app that needs opening, if that makes sense. Better if it's small and has good battery life.

Not really sure where to start - I am SUPER happy with the sound of my headphones, and honestly can tell VERY little difference between wired and wireless modes on them; this is more about having a dedicated music player.

Thanks
    ped

Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks guys

Is it just me or do they all seem quite big, given their function?

So it's basically like an Android phone - does that mean if I install the Apple Music app, I can basically leave it open and ignore everything else? Or does it need opening every time? Is it 'meant' to be used with files directly (i.e is using Apple Music on one a bit of a workaround and not what it's primary purpose is) I'm really looking for a seamless experience which requires as little 'out of app' experience as possible, if that makes sense.

All my computers and so forth are Apple, so it feels a bit odd having to leave the ecosystem for a dedicated player, unless there are other options (I know I could use a DAC or dongle type but I want to avoid using my phone)

One solution might be to get an older (preferably smaller iPhone) with the Bluetooth Codec you need and use that as your music player? If you are only going to use Bluetooth then this might be the best way forward and you could always add a dongle later on down the line

Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

I use an old Android phone running an app called UAPP which bypasses Androids data limits , then into a dac/amp, I use Mojo2

The advantages of either a DAP or add on dac/amp is you have more current so you can use full sized cans , they are simpler 'better' than what is is a phone

It's best to think of your use case, if you have wireless earbuds or headphones and don't care for experimenting than a DAP is perfect

Whether you can hear the different from Tidal via UAPP and a dac amp V Amazon music on a DAP is of course a debate

I prefer a dac/map as I value my headphones as they are tuned to my preference, by far the biggest link in the chain

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    I use my phone, a plug-in dongle/DAC and wired open back headphones (Grados) - it all works well with plenty of volume. Because I stream all my music and listen at home, I could just as easily use one of my old phones to keep my current phone separate (and presumably download stuff if I wanted to listen when out and about).

I, too, thought about a separate music player but it suits me to just use one device - we're all different, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by JonRA View Post
    I use my phone, a plug-in dongle/DAC and wired open back headphones (Grados) - it all works well with plenty of volume. Because I stream all my music and listen at home, I could just as easily use one of my old phones to keep my current phone separate (and presumably download stuff if I wanted to listen when out and about).

I, too, thought about a separate music player but it suits me to just use one device - we're all different, of course!
    I'm the same, although Grados are not current hungry i prefer an old phone and Mojo to a dap. Just personal preference

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

It's a slippery slope when you start to get into portable solutions for harder to drive Planar headphones!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I've using fiio x5 mk3 for a good few years and been very happy

https://www.whathifi.com/fiio/x5-iii/review

A little old now but can be picked up fairly cheap now. Used with iem's and I'm very happy.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Master
    Would a DAP be a good solution in car? I currently have an iPod classic running in one car, which has an iPod connector, but it’s only 160gb so I have compress the music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another advantage for having a separte dap is that its saves a phones battery.
    More of an issue nowadays with non-removable batterys.

I have had my s10e phone for 5 years now while running a caiyan DAP separately on the commute.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Would a DAP be a good solution in car? I currently have an iPod classic running in one car, which has an iPod connector, but it’s only 160gb so I have compress the music.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Assuming the dap has bluetooth; as some dont seem to have it for presumably quality reasons ie bluetooth aptx or LDAC are not as good as wired but close enough.

Master
    The car does have a usb, but it doesn’t do music on Bluetooth

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    The car does have a usb, but it doesn’t do music on Bluetooth

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    If it has USB does plugging a DAP into it not act as a drive? When I plug my iPhone into the car it acts as a music player in its own right (and charges it) and even states “it is not possible to simultaneously play via Bluetooth and usb” and then it plays by usb only. I need to check if I can do the same with my SR25 acting as a music player.

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    Thanks guys

Is it just me or do they all seem quite big, given their function?

So it's basically like an Android phone - does that mean if I install the Apple Music app, I can basically leave it open and ignore everything else? Or does it need opening every time? Is it 'meant' to be used with files directly (i.e is using Apple Music on one a bit of a workaround and not what it's primary purpose is) I'm really looking for a seamless experience which requires as little 'out of app' experience as possible, if that makes sense.

All my computers and so forth are Apple, so it feels a bit odd having to leave the ecosystem for a dedicated player, unless there are other options (I know I could use a DAC or dongle type but I want to avoid using my phone)
    I went down the portable audio rabbit hole a couple of years ago (highly enjoyable experience!) but I have yet to try any DAPs.
    They certainly meet your stated use case - wanting a player separate from your phone - however they are generally aimed at wired earphone / headphone users. So you'd be using your Yamaha headphones wired for optimal results and to take full advantage of the DAP's functionality.

For what it's worth I exclusively stream music on my phone / laptop, going into either a dongle (Questyle M15) when on the move; or the Chord Mojo2 (best piece of audio gear on the market in my view) at my desk, which itself feeds a separate amplifier.
    A DAP would certainly simplify the chain, but it means carrying an additional device on the go (one that relies on wifi...), while not being a true desktop set-up. Just haven't found a use case that works for me.

Craftsman
    I looked at these a while ago and was torn between a hiby R3 and R5 sabre. They seemed to be full featured and reviewed well for a reasonable price.

Things may have moved on since then though but i believe they sell on Amazon.

advancedmp3players.co.uk also have a fair amount of DAPs.

Thanks guys, really useful. I have some reading to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    It's a slippery slope when you start to get into portable solutions for harder to drive Planar headphones!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
    Ha, i have the same DAP on the left ;)

I'd look on Elise Audio - https://eliseaudio.com/collections/d...udio-players-1

Lots of good stuff for all situations - i have tried pretty much all on that page - the HIby R6 pro II is great value and power to drive stuff.

Alternatively a bluetooth dac/amp would be a great choice, a lot of options here -https://eliseaudio.com/collections/dac-amp-dongles

I'd go for the Quloos, so much power and great tonality.