closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ecoboost - buy or walk away?

Craftsman

Ecoboost - buy or walk away?

Hi all - just looking for some advice regarding a 2015 Focus 1.5 Ecoboost I'm thinking of buying (I'm after a second car around 8-9k that is fun to drive and lets us get the children to their random activities).

The Focus looks like it fits the bill and so I've started down the rabbit hole of googling "ford ecoboost 1.5 issues" and found a few, mainly around coolant leaks and carbon build ups.

Rather than read the horror stories and walk away, I thought I'd ask on here and see if they're as bad as they sound or if it's overblown.

The car itself has all the bells and whistles, looks great and drives really nicely - much MUCH more fun than the ancient Verso we have anyway!

Master
    I’d steer clear but no knows
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbr3mjnnm8g

If it has a wet belt, be careful.

Ecoboost - buy or walk away?

If you are asking this question, I think you have answered your question.
    Last edited by noTAGlove; 24th January 2024 at 23:42.

It’s the wet belt that’s the issue, not sure when they stopped making them like that - I know early Focus 1.5’s had the issue more than the Fiesta ST’s.

Craftsman
    Thanks all - yep - think the questions soundly answered. Curses - now the wife is talking about Toyota Aygos with glee.

May hold out hope for an older Fiesta with the 1.25 engine though - from that youtube videos creator, he has some good info about reliability of the previous generation of engines. Argh - the search starts again - thanks for all the info everyone!

Craftsman
    Your Wife has the answer.Go with it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    It’s the wet belt that’s the issue, not sure when they stopped making them like that - I know early Focus 1.5’s had the issue more than the Fiesta ST’s.
    Even Honda has problems with wet belt engines. That says enough. For a car that doesn't do a lot of annual miles, I would always opt for a rock-solid Japanese or Korean car. Bland, dull? Yes. But easy on your wallet.
    Last edited by thieuster; 25th January 2024 at 08:47.

Master
    My 125 is still available- I’ve been a bit lax with advertising it

Craftsman
    I've never had any problems, touch wood. 2017 Fiesta 1.0 98ps, 2017 S-Max 1.5 150ps and 2019 Focus 1.0 125ps.

Master
    Also knowas the Ecoboom engine.

Master
    I've had my 2018 2.0 litre ecoboost for over 3 years and 45k miles. No problems.

My mum has had her 2015 1.0 litre ecoboost for over 2 years and 10k miles. No problems.

EcoBoost timing belt replacement is every 10 years or 100,000 miles, and costs about £1000 iirc, so overall not that much more expensive than a dry belt that need replacement more frequenlty. I don't think the engine is that bad if kept serviced?

Having said that, I bought a 1.25 Fiesta for my son.

Craftsman
    I have a wet belt PSA. My garage mechanic is very scathing of them. So I change correct oil (vital) every 6 months with filter and use the Sealey width guage, which gives you some hope of getting a months warning of BOOM.

Master
    my mrs has a 2017 1.0 fiesta that’s done 70000 miles the key to keeping these engines sweet like most engines is regular oil changes to get rid of the bits of belt that block the engine the problem that is most linked with this engine is a plastic pipe that used to break but that was solved with a redesigned part over 10 years ago

Craftsman
    So the Focus is in the past - I'm not looking back!

I couldn't find a Toyota locally that would be suitable (I'm not a fan of the Aygo) so looked for recent Fiestas and think I've found a great one - it's got a complete Ford service history and low mileage so *should* be in good shape for a few years. The circa £1,500 belt change (spoke with Ford, that's their current cost!) will be one to look forward too.

Booking a test drive as we speak!

With a name like poloman you should be looking a VW Polos too.

Got my mum a 67 plate “match edition” Polo a few years back and seems to be faultless. Match Edition seems to be the last of the line before a new model comes out and gets a bunch of extras.

After the issues with had with the wife's old Peugeot with a small petrol engine, wet belt and turbo, I wont touch anything like that again!

Craftsman
    :) at the poloman comment - good shout.

Sadly budget wouldn’t stretch to a nice modern one.

Always wanted a nice Golf, just short on funds! My plan, if the fiesta works out, is to drive that for a few years then gift it to my nephew and move up to something with a bigger engine. Got to be slightly stealthy though as SWMBO may catch on if I rock up with a spoiler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Personally I'd be reluctant to spend 9k on a going on for 9 year old car. How about a not quite 3 year old car with a little manufacturers warranty remaining (can be extended for 3 years for £400) for 9k. Decent sized car with a decent boot that drives way better than it should?

The Dacia Sandero! I have the slightly longer version of this, the Jogger, and honestly couldn't be happier with it. The 1.0 turbo has exceeded my expectations in every way so I can only imagine it's just as good if not better in the smaller, lighter Sandero.

21 plate Comfort model has most of the mod cons most people want. Extend the warranty with Dacia and you've got over 3 years of worry free motoring. Got to think outside the box in these days of crazy priced used cars! Would definitely recommend a test drive in one.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312225011636
    Last edited by Craig; 26th January 2024 at 21:34.

Quote Originally Posted by poloman View Post
    So the Focus is in the past - I'm not looking back!

I couldn't find a Toyota locally that would be suitable (I'm not a fan of the Aygo) so looked for recent Fiestas and think I've found a great one - it's got a complete Ford service history and low mileage so *should* be in good shape for a few years. The circa £1,500 belt change (spoke with Ford, that's their current cost!) will be one to look forward too.

Booking a test drive as we speak!
    I’m wondering why you’re looking at the Aygo when the Yaris is the natural comparison with the Fiesta?

Craftsman
    My wife wanted a small car and the Aygo was the one she favoured. Plus they're more expensive than the Fiestas so a comparable year was out of my budget sadly - SIL has one and its a fun little car.

Went for a 7 year old Fiesta thats got low mileage and a full Ford service history - picking it up on Wednesday - the analysis paralysis is finally over (on this topic at least :) )

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by poloman View Post
    My wife wanted a small car and the Aygo was the one she favoured. Plus they're more expensive than the Fiestas so a comparable year was out of my budget sadly - SIL has one and its a fun little car.

Went for a 7 year old Fiesta thats got low mileage and a full Ford service history - picking it up on Wednesday - the analysis paralysis is finally over (on this topic at least :) )

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions everyone!
    My 25 year old son was just about to buy a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost, and then we started looking at BMWs in a similar price bracket. He ended up with a beautiful 118i and is over the moon with it. It's a couple of years older than the Fiestas he was looking at, but a lot more car.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 28th January 2024 at 19:25.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    My 25 year old son was just about to buy a Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost, and then we started looking at BMWs in a similar price bracket. He ended up with a beautiful 118i and is over the moon with it. It's a couple of years older than the Fiestas he was looking at, but a lot more car.
    Interested to know how insurance compares for a young driver - my 23 year old son found his 2 Litre MX-5 cheaper to insure than a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost. I guess a lot of youngsters buy and therefore crash them?

Interested to know how insurance compares for a young driver - my 23 year old son found his 2 Litre MX-5 cheaper to insure than a Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost. I guess a lot of youngsters buy and therefore crash them?
    I’ll ask him, but I don’t think there was anything in it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    I have a wet belt PSA. My garage mechanic is very scathing of them. So I change correct oil (vital) every 6 months with filter and use the Sealey width guage, which gives you some hope of getting a months warning of BOOM.
    I’d never heard of that tool. Is it this one?

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/563...2---belt-drive

One of my nieces purchased a 208 with the 1.0 wet belt engine, without knowing anything about the wet belt issue.

I’ll pass it on as regular inspection might be a mitigation and/or put her mind at rest. Cheers!

Craftsman
    Yes Tooks, that one. It's a breeze to use. Pop open the filler cap, curl finger over the hole and DO NOT DROP, slip over the belt where there is a gap in the pulley. If the tool slides over the belt you are good to go. If the belt has swelled or you can visibly see delamination or threading damage, do not pass GO. Glad to help. Tool is made of metal and makes it possible to inspect a belt that is 90% hidden when looked at down the filler cap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wallyuk View Post
    Yes Tooks, that one. It's a breeze to use. Pop open the filler cap, curl finger over the hole and DO NOT DROP, slip over the belt where there is a gap in the pulley. If the tool slides over the belt you are good to go. If the belt has swelled or you can visibly see delamination or threading damage, do not pass GO. Glad to help. Tool is made of metal and makes it possible to inspect a belt that is 90% hidden when looked at down the filler cap.
    Thank you, I’ll get one ordered. :-)

Master
    Could also be due to the fact that the fiesta is the most stolen car in the UK. I know there are a lot fiestas on the road so the figure is bound to be high but they are notoriously easy to steal without the keys (just check Google).

If I had one I would be fitting a high quality steering wheel lock as a minimum and depending on value a decent aftermarket immobiliser.
    Last edited by Craig; 31st January 2024 at 09:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Could be due to the fact that the fiesta is the most stolen car in the UK. I know there are a lot fiestas on the road so the figure is bound to be high but they are notoriously easy to steal without the keys (as are a lot of other ford models, just check Google).

If I had one I would be fitting a high quality steering wheel lock as a minimum and depending on value a decent aftermarket immobiliser.
    When my young son was looking at insuring a car the Fiesta and Corsa were far more expensive than the Scirocco he bought. I have noticed most of his friends are more likely to drive a Passat or similar to a small hatchback.