closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Haggis

Haggis

Hi all

Having no Scottish connections, so in no way celebrate Burns night, I managed to get to the age of 47 last year before trying haggis for the first time. I have nothing against the ingredients, quite enjoy all sorts of offal, i have just somehow never been anywhere to try it. Until last year, when on a whim picked up a supermarket Simon Howie one, then again a couple of weeks ago.

Enjoyed it both times, as the did the wife and boy, tastes good, texture ok, but i did find it way too salty. Any other recommendations for good readily available haggis, ideally less salty?

Cheers

Brighty

Master
    If you can find a retailer near you try a Mc Sweens.

I was just looking into this. Seems M&S Haggis is from MacSween. Thinks it's available in other supermarkets as well.

McSween is by far the safest bet around. Easy to find in most quality supermarkets.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Never had it and never want to. But if you can ignore the ingredients, go for it!

Master
    The spicier the better for me. My chippy does a lovely battered spicy Haggis supper which does me nicely on burns night without all the ceremony (besides, I dislike neeps).

I'm Scottish & have been happily eating haggis, when in season, for over 50 years.

I find the made-by-McSween's M&S haggis to be a little less seasoned than the real McCoy McSween, but perfectly acceptable.

Having tried Simon Howie's on a few occassions, I wouldn't eat it again from choice.
    ______

​Jim.

Simon Howies haggis and also their black pudding are best avoided. The texture of both is like it's been put through a food processor, nasty!

Happy Burns night for Thursday to one and all.

Our local butchers always sells his (award winning) haggis at this time of year, so we are very lucky - if you can get one that is!

Best haggis I’ve ever had was from Henderson’s cafe in Edinburgh - only later did I find out it was vegetarian. I do like HN&T as a winter warmer and this thread has inspired me to swing by the supermarket on my way home tonight

Great chieftain o' the pudding-race!

Aye, Macsween does the job for me.

Bring on Haggis Season! Can't wait to get up there with my 12 bore and bag myself a few.

An excellent academic paper here, if you have the time to spare to read it.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/65affab7...gisarticle.pdf

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Love Haggis! MacSweens as suggested elsewhere unless you have an artisan butcher nearby who does it.

Stange people won't eat haggis but will happily eat sausages!

The shop bought / captive raised Haggis are o.k. , however to enjoy the full flavour of this wonderful dish you really have to experience the wild
    variety .Granted a little harder to come by but definitely worth the extra effort .
    https://haggiswildlifefoundation.com...aggis-hunting/

What about raising Haggis yourself from pups? or would it be too difficult to 'do the deed' on harvesting day?

Quote Originally Posted by Jega View Post
    The shop bought / captive raised Haggis are o.k. , however to enjoy the full flavour of this wonderful dish you really have to experience the wild
    variety .Granted a little harder to come by but definitely worth the extra effort .
    https://haggiswildlifefoundation.com...aggis-hunting/

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Never had it and never want to. But if you can ignore the ingredients, go for it!
    Whats wrong with the ingredients? Minced up lamb heart and lung, bit of beef mince, oats, seasoning. Fair doos if you're a Vegan/Veggie

Delicious whilst watching Gladiators

Sent from my M2101K6G using Tapatalk
    Last edited by xxnick1975; 23rd January 2024 at 20:17.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    Don’t like gladiators and not tried haggis,David you should be ashamed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I love staying at hotels in Scotland where they include Haggis with the cooked breakfast. Gloucester services on the M5 incidentally also offer this option.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Macsween is the best by a country mile.

It’s because they catch the Haggi as they run across the hillsides feather side north facing. The scaly side needs to always be south facing so the blood flow is in balance. It’s also why they have two legs shorter on one side. They make great soup btw.

Just make sure you pickle the eye balls in single malt.

Slainte!

Jim

Speyside Specialities haggis is sold through Tescos and is pretty good

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Halitosis View Post
    Best haggis I’ve ever had was from Henderson’s cafe in Edinburgh - only later did I find out it was vegetarian. I do like HN&T as a winter warmer and this thread has inspired me to swing by the supermarket on my way home tonight
    The M&S veggie haggis is very nice.

I had it years ago and enjoyed it.

As a Southern Softie I would certainly like to try a decent one again.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    If it’s veggie, it’s no Haggis! Vaggis maybe? You’ll be suggesting 0% whisky next.

Quote Originally Posted by mk1974 View Post
    Don’t like gladiators and not tried haggis,David you should be ashamed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Got a McSween's for supper tonight- looking forward to it!

Bet haggis I've had was a haggis supper from an Italian-named chipper in the New Town in Edinburgh, with lashings of salt & sauce. Yum! I suspect it was farmed, but lovely nonetheless.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    An excellent academic paper here, if you have the time to spare to read it.

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/65affab7...gisarticle.pdf

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    That is Genius!!

Blog Entries
    Wifey’s mum was from Aberdeen, so she is a bit careful with the kite and we got married 22 years ago today, so the 25th is a special day in the Pitch household.

Long walk along the River Waveney to Beccles, light lunch(wine) bus back and then the full slam and a night in front of the fire. Perfect.

Have a great one all.

Pitch

Don't have the slightest trace of Scots in my ancestry, but absolutely adore the full ensemble - haggis, neeps'n'tatties (or even better neeps and carrots), greens, whiskey sauce, ideally followed with crowdie and washed down with ample drams of a decent malt (tho' preferably not one that tastes like someone swilled out an Irish fireplace with lighter fluid - Laphroaig Export Strength: I'm looking at you...).

The only time I was invited to a Burns Night supper by a friend actually in Scotland, it was the worst I'd ever had. He apologised after and explained they'd never cooked it before as they never normally eat the stuff! The risks of being a cultural 'tourist' I guess!

Last year was a wipeout - I'd pre-ordered the largest available Haggis from an online supermarket, which they substituted on the day for effing TINNED haggis, and only one of those! It was predictably awful!

A good friend is cooking for a group of us this year - should be fun!

The world's best haggis is supplied by Uptons of Bassett.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0gffq7k
    Conviently it's 5 minute walk for me!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeveal View Post
    The world's best haggis is supplied by Uptons of Bassett.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0gffq7k
    Conviently it's 5 minute walk for me!
    Ah I've been there and dined in their restaurant. Absolutely world class pies.

I have been lucky enough to be a regular guest in the MacSween's household for a family Burn's supper and had the full monty, with the bagpipes, parade of the chieftain, Selkirk address and the Address.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Tried 4 supermarkets in Leeds today but nae joy :(...Co-op, Tescos, Sainsbury's and Lidl! Still, the canny Scotsman in me hopes I can pick up a post-Burns Night bargain at M&S tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-A346B using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I had it once, back in '97 (according to the date on a photo) when we were in Edinburgh. I had the haggis with turnips and fried potatoes. I liked it. My wife wouldn't touch it not even with the proverbial bargepole.

It was our first time in Scotland. Our first evening was on the island Luing, south of Oban. A wonderful B&B with a wonderful meal that night. During dinner, we talked about 'special dishes'... We learned quickly: we'd never heard about the Deep Fried Mars Bar. And the wonderful Scottish couple didn't know about our Dutch frikandel: deep fried shredded cow udder & seasoning, preferably with loads of chopped raw onions, mayonnaise and ketchup... Honestly, the Dutch frikandel and haggis have a similar texture and taste.

My local Sainsburys only had the standard size McSweens Haggis; as there are two of us I had to plump for the Howie's Chieftain, and tbh we enjoyed it. A bit of Lavish McTavish with the black pepper grinder finessed the spiciness.
    I am replete; just in the right mood for an evening's languish in front of my PC for the TZ vGtG in an hour or so.

Master
    Just had a Steak and Haggis pie on the M74 Mmm yum .

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Tonight's dinner went very well. Haggis, spot on; Neeps, buttery; Parmentier Potatoes, lovely; Creamy Whisky Sauce excellent; a couple of excellent wines, red for me rose for Lynn. Followed up with a large dram of 12 Yr old Bowmore. Happy Burns night

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well done you. Looks lovely.

Salivating Jim!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post
    Tonight's dinner went very well. Haggis, spot on; Neeps, buttery; Parmentier Potatoes, lovely; Creamy Whisky Sauce excellent; a couple of excellent wines, red for me rose for Lynn. Followed up with a large dram of 12 Yr old Bowmore. Happy Burns night

Looks lovely Peter.

Were you wearing a kilt btw?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Griswold View Post

Good looks great, but I love those plates!

No haggis this year as I wasn’t organised and let it slip too late to get a good one.

Thanks Jim.

Neil, no kilt but Lynn did ask why there was no bagpipe music. So a quick “Alexa, play bagpipe music” and hey presto.
    Best Regards - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    Good looks great, but I love those plates!

No haggis this year as I wasn’t organised and let it slip too late to get a good one.
    Thanks. The plates are by Belleek Living. We have the full set plus many extras. Good value for money for every day eating.
    Best Regards - Peter

Master
    Always buy our haggis from the local butcher. But for something a little different if ever in Dunkeld ( Perthshire ) the baker in the Main Street does Haggis Sausage Rolls. Stunningly good.

Changing gear now that Rabbie's been lauded- I have a consignment of Mealie Jimmies heading towards me from Grantown.
    They are eye-wateringly expensive by post.
    I used to be able to buy them from the much-missed Kendal's Food Hall in Manchester, but sadly no more.
    I found a tattered old copy of Mortlach & District WI Cookbook with a recipe for Mealy Pudding, so I intend having a go.
    If anyone can help with a voice of experience I would be internally grateful.

Master
    Blog Entries

A little funny

Hurt my arm this morning and was in hospital for an x-ray.
    As I was sitting waiting to be seen, the lad next to me said "Fair fa' yer honest sonsie face!
    Great chieftain o' the puddin race!"

I turned my head round to the lady sat on my other side and she said “Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie, O, what a panic's in thy breastie!"

Surprised, I said to the doctor walking past, "here mate is this the psychiatric ward?"

He replied "no, this is the Burns unit"

Slainte

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    As I was sitting waiting to be seen, the lad next to me said "Fair fa' yer honest sonsie face!

I turned my head round to the lady sat on my other side and she said “Wee, sleekit, cow'rin, tim'rous beastie, O, what a panic's in thy breastie!"

Surprised, I said to the doctor walking past, "here mate is this the psychiatric ward?"

Slainte

Jim
    Ha! Very good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post

Slainte

Jim
    Hang your head in shame……………..

Grand Master
    I was once in a pub in Ayrshire, the well tree inn in Maybole I think the town was called and had Haggis Pakora! As an Iain Banks fan I had to…. It’s mentioned as a thing in his novel Whit.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Haggis pakora isn't uncommon in Scotland. Even 'Indian' restaurants serve it. Aldi & Sainsbury stock it.
    ______

​Jim.